The "N" word!

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Is it a big deal? Seriously, does it really matter if a white guys says the "N" word and a black guy overhears?

Let's say there's a group of black guys standing on some street corner, talking. They're using words like "cracker" in every sentence. And then a white guy comes walking down the sidewalk. Are they going to stop saying it, or even slow down with their use of racial slurs? Almost certainly not.

Now, let's say you've got a group of white guys standing on a corner, and they're using the word "N*gger", in a non-racist way. Just screwing around. They'll stop saying it if they see a black person anywhere nearby. Just because they don't want to upset him.

Seems kinda one sided, eh?

I think it's stupid that people still get upset over the casual use of the word. I mean, it's one thing if you're a black guy, in an area you're unfamiliar with, and someone yells, "You n*ggers ain't welcome here!" Yeah, I'd be upset if I was in that place, too. However, when me and a white friend jokingly call each other "n*gger", we shouldn't have to worry about if someone else takes offense.

I watched this show on FX a while back called "Black.White." They took a white family, and made them look black, and vice versa, so that they could get a look at how people react to you based on the color of your skin.The actual black guy was constantly trying to convince the actual white guy that these things he was seeing while in "blackface" were exhibitions of racism against blacks. The white guy (in black make-up) didn't see it as people judging him by his color. He just said it was common human behavior that he encountered everyday.

Sure, there are racist idiots out there who use the word to look down on black people. But there are also people like me who joke around and dont' actually mean to offend or bother anyone. It's gayed that I can't say n*gger without first glancing over my shoulder to make sure no black people are nearby.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I always say it =/ Though I do find it funny when you see a black guy suddenly turn into a stereotypical "******" when you say it around them. Seems kinda ironic.

But yeah, I don't see a problem with it. But then again I'm white.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I like when people tell me that I cant say it because I'm white. most dont know how to react when you point out the racism in that.

If anyone should be able to say it, it's a white man :cookie:

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Political Correctness is probably the one thing i hate the most, because it is indeed one-sided in this country. Either everyone can use the word nig[COLOR="Yellow"]g[/COLOR]er or nobody can, it's that simple. And don't even tell me that white people can't say it because it reflects on the days of slavery, that's a cheap cop-out. Black people freely use the word which means they are also disrespecting what some of their ancestors had to suffer through.[/COLOR]

Posted by Iris

Yeah, I mean we deserve the right to say derogatory terms directed at a certain ethnicity as much as we want. Wait, we already have that right. They just get irritated.

If you were gay, wouldn't you get the slightest bit irritated by some one flinging the word "fag?" Maybe not so much to start throwing punches, but it'd still be an annoyance for people to use it like an everyday term despite it being derogatory against a certain race or orientation. It's the use and literal meaning which gets to people.

Don't get me wrong though. If the person you're afraid to offend uses the word all the time, then you shouldn't have to walk on eggshells if you want to say it in a non-derogatory manner.

Quoted post: Yeah, I mean we deserve the right to say derogatory terms directed at a certain ethnicity as much as we want. Wait, we already have that right. They just get irritated.

You can't freely say it though. I dare you to go out in public and freely say the word ****** over and over to your friends. It won't go over well, especially with the white folks. Oddly enough.

Posted by Iris

You can freely go out of the house smelling like dog **** or crossdressing, but people will still take notice and be disturbed by it. If I were to go out and use the word continuously, I'd probably only get some weird glares or some one politely asking me to stfu. Nowadays most people have enough self control not to resort to violence when offended.

I can say it freely. People just won't like it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm a Jew, and I honestly don't care when all the people my age use the term "Jewish" to describe something that's messed up. I know they don't literally mean that this thing is affiliated with me in some way, and if they did indicate that they did mean that, I'd address the issue when it presented itself. Until then, I'd assume they meant no harm or disrespect.

I respect black people just fine. But they too encourage the distinguishment of skin color. They're black, and I'm not, so they can say n*gger and I can't. They tell me that I am not allowed to do something because of the color of my skin. Because I'm white, there's no money left for to college because all the money for white guys has been given away. So when I apply for federal aid every semester, I get denied, based on the color of my skin.

Black people always call for an end to racism. The first step is to stop declaring a difference in skin color.

Mostly, I think it's ridiculous that they expect that people like me owe them reparations for what they were put through. I saw a guy on Larry Elder one time. He was all mad because in the 1930's, his grandaddy was kicked out of a barber shop for being colored. In the 1930's, my grandaddy was in Aushwitz, Poland, being tortured and mistreated by Nazis. And I don't expect a dime from anyone. I know that Germany has paid reparations for all of that, but I didn't see a cent of it, and that's okay with me because I feel that I live in a society where you usually get out what you put in. There are exceptions, the people who are just dealt a really bad hand in life, but generally speaking, if you want to accomplish things, you will. There are black people from the 'hood who manage to make something of themselves and become pretty successful. The ones who fail at this are the ones who aspire to be all thugged out. They see the guys on MTV or hear them on their underground rap station, and think it's glamorous. As a result of this, they never go anywhere in life, never become productive members of society, and they like to blame it on the society they're in.

I wasn't born into a perfect situation. I wasn't born in East L.A. or anything, but I wasn't handed much in my life. I had to get a job when I was 15, and I've been on my own since I was 16. But I don't blame anyone for that, I just do what I do. If I fail in life, it's no one's fault but my own. And I'd say the same for any black guy in Compton, Lower Manhattan, or any place else in the USA.

[quote=Iris] If I were to go out and use the word continuously, I'd probably only get some weird glares or some one politely asking me to stfu. Nowadays most people have enough self control not to resort to violence when offended.
You dont' actually think that if you said the word constantly while standing in the middle of Inglewood... Seriously, you wouldn't walk away from that. They'd kill you. Literally, you would die. It happens all the time. People murder one another all the time in environments like that, and it's not that big of a deal anymore.

Quoted post: You can freely go out of the house smelling like dog **** or crossdressing, but people will still take notice and be disturbed by it. If I were to go out and use the word continuously, I'd probably only get some weird glares or some one politely asking me to stfu. Nowadays most people have enough self control not to resort to violence when offended.

I can say it freely. People just won't like it.

You underestimate the human race. People will kill or seriously injury you for saying it.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Iris:

If you were gay, wouldn't you get the slightest bit irritated by some one flinging the word "fag?" Maybe not so much to start throwing punches, but it'd still be an annoyance for people to use it like an everyday term despite it being derogatory against a certain race or orientation. It's the use and literal meaning which gets to people.

One of the only gay people I know says "that's gay" and the like more than most people I know and actually only gets ****ed if you follow it up with a "no offense" or "sorry." Uptight politically correct *******s ruin everything! :(

Posted by Iris

In this day and age, skin color has very little to do with succeeding in life. I'm not arguing there.

Segregation still exists. It's not all one sided, where one group gets all the benefits, and it's not something you can just say and people immediately acknowledging it. Regardless, it exists at the fault of both parties. Does it affect the quality of life? Not much. Does it lower one's chance to achieve in life? Maybe, but only a little.

I'd rather not demand use of a stupid word so I can use it nonchalantly. I'd feel much better just letting them use it to their heart's content rather than making it politically correct for me to do so, so I can use it in everyday conversation for no reason.

It's a lot like curse words. Say it in a close group of friends and no one will care. Say it in an elementary school and they will.

Vamp: I know they will. It's just very unlikely since most people aren't that insecure.

Soul: Does he actually use it when talking about people? There's a big difference between "that kid's gay" and "that book's gay."

Posted by Ch

The "N" word?

To me it's just a word. Although it is pretty gay when wiggers use it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm not demanding that I be allowed to say the word. I can live without saying it just fine. I just think that declaring that I'm not entitled to usage of the word due to the color of my skin is simply prolonging racism. A big step toward the end of racism would be to stop saying that there are things we can and can't do based on our skin color.

Posted by Bebop

I have no problem with it. I use it between my friends and I. No biggie.

Posted by Arwon

But of course, kike, chink, spic, greaser, abo, and other such words. They're not okay. Only N*gger is. Because, liek, OMG PEOPLE SAY CRACKER.

just say jigaboo or something. Not only does it sound better, but I don't think anyone even remembers it has anything to do with black people.

Also, kike is probably the best slur out there.

Posted by Arwon

Ahem:

[quote]TROTTER: That's fine, because I'd like to talk about the accusation tht that rude woman just made. We are not racist, ladies and gentlemen, in fact, the Upright Citizens Brigade is currently fighting a kind of prejudice that *never* gets dealt with. I'm talking of course about prejudice against Astronauts.

[Audience laughs]

Please, laugh, it helps the healing. Now, as we all know, NASA has been sending...

REDNECK IN AUDIENCE: If the lord intended for man to walk on the moon, then we'd have been given cement feet!

WOMAN ON BALCONY: I agree, my community does not need need Astronuats defying gravity in front of my children!

REDNECK: That's right, driving their moon buggies all time o' night! Playin that theme to 2001 really loud on their Cosmo-blasters! Astro-Nazis!

TROTTER: Folks, this is a perfect example of what's going on. There is a serious cultural clash in this country. So in the interests of opening the lines of dialogue I'd like to introduce you all right now to a real live astronaut... Lt Mike Birchwood. Mike... come on up Mike! You mind coming up here and giving me a hand?

[Audience applauds, woman and redneck boo]

REDNECK: Watch out, he'll try to stick an American flag in yer!

WOMAN: That's not all he'll stick in...

MIKE: Look, just because I've spent some time outside the Earth's gravitational pull doesn't mean I'm different from you...

WOMAN: They can't eat normal food and they're addicted to Tang!

MIKE: That's not true, I drink Tang because I like the taste!

REDNECK: You like the taste of recycled urine!

TROTTER: That's completely insane.

WOMAN: Astronauts eat breakfast upside down!

MIKE: I have only eaten breakfast upside down two or three times since I got back from my last mission.

REDNECK: You folks better watch out, they're covered in Astro-germs! Just last year... an astronaut moved to my neighbourhood, simulteneously the leaves started dyin' and fallin' off our oak trees.

TROTTER: Was that month October?

[long pause]

REDNECK: September/October.

TROTTER: Yeah, it's called Fall, it happens every year. Now sit down! Mike Birchwood is a man, just like you and I, a man who'd probably like nothing better than to settle down, meet a nice woman, raise a family.

MIKE: Problem is, most women are afraid to touch me.

REDNECK: That's right ladies, he'd make you infertile on account his sperm's from another time continuum!

WOMAN: I will not fornicate with you, with your juicy astronaut lips and firm astronaut buttocks.

TROTTER: I think there's several issues going on here...

MIKE: I would gladly trade all of my walks on the moon for the simple carress of a woman.

WOMAN: I will not touch your bottom, stop begging me!

MIKE: Who's begging you!?

REDNECK: We don't want any Moon Cheese Babies!

MIKE: What the hell is a moon cheese baby!?

TROTTER: He's talking about how the moon is supposedly made of cheese.

MIKE: Regardless, how would you end up with a baby made out of it?

REDNECK: You tell us!

TROTTER: What would it take for you two to finally believe that this astronaut is just a human being.

REDNECK [Getting up, walking towards stage]: If he's a real American human then he'll eat this here American cheeseburger!

WOMAN: Yeah, that'll prove he's not addicted to tang!

REDNECK: Unless of course your stomach serves as an incubator for an alien foetus!

WOMAN: Or it's filled with anti-matter.

REDNECK: Or it's got one of them little virtual robots that..

WOMAN: Everybody! [chants] Eat the Cheeseburger, Astroboy!

[Crowd chants loudly, Redneck and Woman rev them up]

Eat the Cheeseburger, Astroboy!

TROTTER: Enough! Enough! Gimme that! [snatches cheeseburger] If you were trying to incite a riot I suggest next time you think of a simpler chant.

[Turns to Mike]

Mike I apoligise but, would you indulge these buffoons, and would you eat a cheeseburger?

MIKE: Fine.

[pause]

I'll just need a blender.

[long awkward pause]

TROTTER: Why would you need a blender?

MIKE: [Looks around, embarassed] It was just a... humor joke.

[long awkward pause]

[Mike eats cheeseburger]

TROTTER: [Addresses audience] Perhaps he is a real American, protected by the Constitution of the United States..

[Mike clutches stomach, doubles over, starts spitting blood]

REDNECK: Hey, he's stepping all over my cheeseburger!

TROTTER: Mike! Mike!?

REDNECK: I was right! What the sam hill, I was right! [Screams]

[Blood pours from Mike's mouth, he starts convulsing]

TROTTER: Mike? Mike?

[Alien tentacle bursts from Mike's chest, shrieks, tries to grab Trotter, who clutches his neck and starts screaming

[Lots of screaming and shrieking, Redneck pulls gun and shoots at Mike, who runs offstage]

TROTTER: Kill me! Before I become one of them!

[Redneck starts trying to beat Trotter to death]

TROTTER: No, With the gun! With the gun!

[Redneck starts beating Trotter with the gun]

TROTTER: No! No I meant shoot me! Shoot me!

[Redneck shoots Trotter]

REDNECK: Everybody run! Everybody run!

[Trotter rolls onto his side, raises fist]

TROTTER: [Struggling] ***... bless you... Redneck!

Hahahaha, ****ing greatest thing I've ever read. Wow.

Posted by The Judge

I don't get why we shouldn't be able to say it. White people made up that word. It's our word for them. They can call us Crackers and Honkeys and "The Man," so why can't be call them nig[COLOR="black"]g[/COLOR]ers?

Posted by Omni

You beat me to it. I was hoping nobody had said that yet. They can call us whatever they want, and they even use this one word to address each other, but we can't even say it to them? Talk about equality. By the way, I have a lot of black friends, and friends of other colors, too.

Posted by Xenos

I, for one, get quite irritated and quick to snap back if someone uses the "cracker" word so ... :dunno: I refuse to lower myself by using the "N WERD" anyways. Though I do agree that the toleration for it is rather biased.

Posted by Arwon

Sometimes I wonder whether other races even exist in American racial politics. Surely to ask why you can't call people n*gger is to ask why you can't call other people other ethnic slurs. Spic, Abo, Chink, etc.

I'd also point out that "cracker" and "n*gger" are not equivalent words and that this point is key. They may have roughly mirror-image dictionary meanings but there's a whole world of connotations, historical baggage, social nuance, and other such distinctions between them, that make the words quite different.

Bachelor and Spinster are totally mirrored dictionary words but their ACTUAL meanings in the world couldn't be further apart. Likewise, there isn't really a "white people" equivalent of n*gger with the same degree of potency and venom because, well, the histories and context of the two words and the two groups are completely different. N*gger is indelibly and irrevocably associated in cultural memory with a long history of massive injustice and also with its continued legacy in contemporary American society, in a way that "cracker" simply isn't. Drawing a direct comparison between the two words is ahistorical and ignorant at best and downright insulting at worst. If people need me to invoke and describe the history and past usage of the word n*gger for them, then there's probably no hope. Frankly, the fact that some folks inside a certain community have decided to reclaim a nasty and potent slur against them for themselves is, basically, irrelevant for those outside said community, and does not reduce its offensiveness in the wrong mouths and situations.

This concept of "insiders" and "outsiders" is very important here and it goes far beyond America's neurotic race relations, it's a much more general social and cultural and linguistic thing. Words are multilayered in their meanings, the same word can have very different meaning and impact, and when you have different people using them in different situations, very different connotations flow from the same word. The fact that a white guy going "what's up my n*gger" will get his arse kicked is a perfect illustration. It's a funny situation. Why? Everyone recognises the absurdity of a white guy doing this. It's offensive and it's shockingly ignorant of basic social mores. It is, in fact, not an injustice or an example of OMFG REVERSE RACISM AND DOUBLE STANDARDS FROM THE NASTY BLACKIES but instead it is a BASIC DEMONSTRATION OF THIS POINT THAT DIFFERENT SOCIAL GROUPS ARE DIFFERENT and basically, insiders in a community get to do things it is inappropriate for outsiders to do.

Australian example of a reclaimed but still potentially offensive word since I am, shock horror, Australian: When I call a Mediterranean migrant a "wog" it is entirely different to two Maltese guys using the term to each other and there's no illogic or disconnect from the fact that they'll get offended when I do it. It's the same thing with n*gger though n*gger is still certainly more potent.

And before you spout off about "oh but my friend doesn't care if i racially abuse him" -- that is also an illustration of this point about different connotations from different social situations and groups. It's fun to mock-abuse your friends, there is no venom in it (I call my friends rapists. It's an in-joke). You are, in fact, an insider to that person's community and thus, different rules apply than otherwise would.

At any rate, surely the answer to this whole question is pretty obvious based purely in a combination of common sense, an awareness of context and situation, basic politeness and, if necessary, a slap in the face from the "Grow the f*ck up" fairy. Are you people seriously that socially inept and awkward that you don't get the concept of context-dependent appropriateness and "differnet things are polite and acceptable in different situations"?

Posted by Fate

Personally, I find the word filthy, mostly because the fully pronounced word said by any race is considered offensive. I take offense to a black person calling a white person cracker, only because it's a disgusting racial term meant to be derogatory (unless the two are friends). "Nigga" is nothing.

Segregation only ended like forty years ago. It hasn't gone away yet. Any racial slurs shouldn't be tolerated.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]So by that definition, if a nazi skinhead tells a black guy "Go back to Africa you ****ing nigga", then it makes it ok? Of course not, nig[COLOR="Yellow"]g[/COLOR]er and nigga are the same word that represent the same thing. Both can be used in an offensive or jokingly manner, it depends on who's saying it to who.[/COLOR]

Posted by WackoHater2

White people shouldn't be allowed to say it, unless deemed "gangsta" by a black person. I didn't read any other posts. JUst stating my opinion and getting out.

Posted by Fate

I meant amongst friends, Paul.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Fei-on Castor:

I watched this show on FX a while back called "Black.White." They took a white family, and made them look black, and vice versa, so that they could get a look at how people react to you based on the color of your skin.The actual black guy was constantly trying to convince the actual white guy that these things he was seeing while in "blackface" were exhibitions of racism against blacks. The white guy (in black make-up) didn't see it as people judging him by his color. He just said it was common human behavior that he encountered everyday.

I prefer the old SNL sketch where Eddie Murphy got himself cosmetically transformed into a white businessman.

"******" is a stupid-sounding word, anyways, kind of like "booger." I never use it for that reason alone.

Posted by GameMiestro

Language is an easy way to seperate the "chaff from the wheat", you might say. If a white guy calls a black guy the N word, he deserves a swift punch on the nose no matter how many "gangstas" are using it.

Posted by Random

I'll make this short and sweet. I believe when you say the "N" word in a rascist sense then its wrong to say it. But I believe if you say it for a joke of some sort then its perfectly fine. I myself am not a rascist. But I say the N word quite frequently just to joke around. I dated a black girl before and I used to say the N Word around her all the time. We used to joke about rascism and what not.

kk done

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Princess Fate: Personally, I find the word filthy, mostly because the fully pronounced word said by any race is considered offensive. I take offense to a black person calling a white person cracker, only because it's a disgusting racial term meant to be derogatory (unless the two are friends). "Nigga" is nothing.

Segregation only ended like forty years ago. It hasn't gone away yet. Any racial slurs shouldn't be tolerated.

What if they're from Boston? Or Australia or England? In those places there's no distinction because they don't pronounce the R...

Posted by Fate

I think you missed the part where I said "amongst friends".

Posted by Arwon

Even so, I'm mainly just making a fussy point about accents. "Nigga" and "N*gger" sound exactly the same coming out of my mouth unless I put on an American accent. So, the idea of one being less or more offensive than the other is a little weird to me.

At any rate, what goes on "among friends" should be well outside the scope of this debate since it's extremely obvious common sense that amongst friends there's familiarity, affection and injokes which totally change the rules of acceptability. But then, I just ranted about that a couple of posts ago.

Posted by misogenie

[COLOR="Cyan"]Black movie actors like Eddie Murphy make this word a funny family cultural thing. Maybe it's OK in a movie, but not OK to the strange public like black drinkers in the pub.[/COLOR]

Posted by misogenie

[COLOR="Cyan"]Black movie actor Eddie Murphy make this word seem harmless and just
another humorous meaning for mate or friend for the black kind in his movies.
[/COLOR]

Posted by sniper

I don't think I've ever heard Eddie Murphy say "n。gger" in one of his movies.

Posted by The Judge

Funfact: "N[COLOR="black"]i[/COLOR]gger" simply means "ignorant person."

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I was of the understanding that it came from the word 'negro', Judge. Which in turn comes from the Spanish word for 'black', I believe.

I think white people are still afraid of using the term around black people because racist ideologies still exist - the whites are afraid the blacks will get angry immediately and severely hurt them. I'm currently living with two black people, and while I've never had the occasion to use the word around them, I'd like to think that if I do it'll be in a context that they won't get offended by. Of course, that's me making an assumption that the word itself automatically generates offence.

Certain words have effects like that, simply because of the connotations built up around them. We had a woman give a talk at school once about HIV and AIDS. At the end of it, she said 'I am HIV positive', and I instinctively recoiled. Of course it is ridiculous do that (unless of course a madman burst in, shoved a grenade in her mouth and I was yawning at the time), but it was the feeling that had been built up from years of negative use.

Posted by Lord of Spam

A woman cut me off in traffic today, and **** near slammed into me or shoved me into contruction equipment. At the next stoplight, she started yelling at me about how i almost scratched the paint on her fancy new merc SUV. Just to be as offensive as possible, I said "if you cant learn to drive, go back to africa, you ****ing ****** scum."

the funny part is that I dont really think the word is inherently offensive, but I knew it would **** her off. had I thought that the word "potato" would have been as offensive, I would have substituted that. Having an irational anger over being called something is childish and pathetic.

Posted by The Judge

Negrophobia: (Otherwise known as "Ni[COLOR="black"]g[/COLOR]gerwillies.")
n. Fear of Black People

Posted by Iris

[quote=The Judge]Funfact: "N[COLOR=black]i[/COLOR]gger" simply means "ignorant person."
FunnerFact: The word was developed for use against African-Americans. The whole "IT'S NOT REALLY A RACIST TERM" argument is complete bullshit and I'm sick of hearing it.

It's not really, anymore anyways.

Posted by Fate

Actually, "******" will always be a racial term, even amongst friends (the joke comes from it actually being a racial term). "Nigga" is like saying "homie" only more gangster.

Nah, it's hardly racist anymore. It can still be used as a racial slur, but it's used more as a joke or in a completely non racist way now.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Princess Fate: I meant amongst friends, Paul.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Fine, i'll rephrase.

If a friend tells a black friend, "Go back you Africa you effing NIGGAAAAAAA". Even if used in a jokingly manner, it still might make the black friend uncomfortable, at least a slightly bit. It's not the word that defines who you are or what you mean or what you know, it's how you use the word.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: If a friend tells a black friend, "Go back you Africa you effing NIGGAAAAAAA". Even if used in a jokingly manner, it still might make the black friend uncomfortable, at least a slightly bit. It's not the word that defines who you are or what you mean or what you know, it's how you use the word.

Pretty sure the black friend would laugh his *** off if you said something like that. No matter what tone you used.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]If he did then he would laugh at the word ni[COLOR="Yellow"]g[/COLOR]ger too.[/COLOR]

Exactly, because he's a friend.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]That's why i don't think there should be too much emphasis put on which word shouldn't be used or who should be allowed to use it.[/COLOR]

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

You can't say that every single black person on the planet is offended by the word. That, in itself, is racist.

Because anyone cares what a nigra has to say anyways :rolleyes:

Posted by mis0

I tend to think of the word "nigga" in the way it is used on The Boondocks, and "******" as being the explicitly racist term. I still don't say it though.

Posted by ed elric

i say if they call me a cracker or cracka, i call them nigga or ******, it's only fair

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Yeah. That's right.

Posted by Obscurum Contagiion

Oh please...

I am embarassed to be a part of the human race, because people are so weak minded... because they get offended by a simple word... a sound that comes from the human mouth, can effect another human ??? if you ask me, that is a true form of weakness.

Posted by muffla

****** is a bad word but nigga is not in my mind

porch monkey and nig-nog are funny from clerks two

Posted by Bebop

Porch monkey. Ha ha.

I like the word ****** and I use it as often as I can. I use it to refer to my friends and to great members of the public. Everything is better when everyone is a ******.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Bebop: Everything is better when everyone is a ******.

Because then we could all claim to be entitled to restitution for stuff that happened before Wyoming gained statehood.

Meh, N*gger is just a word. It's up to the speaker and the audience to determine if it's offensive or not. It was initially used in a strictly negative sense, but so was the song "Yankee Doodle". There are a lot of terrible things (like racial slurs) that can turn out to be alright, or even useful.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Queer was intended as a slur. I'm sure you've all heard of queer eye for the straight guy. A word is only offensive as long as you let it be offensive.

As a side note, I tend to use nigga when screwing around with certain of my goofier nerdy friends in sort of an ironic way. Like, "lol we're so ******* lame LOL SUP NIGGA"

Posted by Iris

I don't really think it should be used at all. Most black people don't use it any more effectively than whites.
White people have "dude," black people have "nigga." Neither should be used at all.

As for the word not having any impact, it can. Any word can. Apathetic moron living under the sticks and stones rule should stop trying to fool themselves and others. And as for pronounciation of the word, there's absolutely no difference. They mean the same thing, no matter how you say it. What matters is your intent to offend some one.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iris: I don't really think it should be used at all. Most black people don't use it any more effectively than whites.
White people have "dude," black people have "nigga." Neither should be used at all.

As for the word not having any impact, it can. Any word can. Apathetic moron living under the sticks and stones rule should stop trying to fool themselves and others. And as for pronounciation of the word, there's absolutely no difference. They mean the same thing, no matter how you say it. What matters is your intent to offend some one.

yeah, when im talking to my A+ and mcse certified, 5'6", 130 lbs friend who has never even seen a ghetto and who makes most paper look dark a nigga, i totally mean that hes a low intellect person of african descent LOL.

Most people that are offended by the word in its "nigga" use are more stuck on then past than the people using it. They CHOOSE to get upset rather than realize that the word has evolved (in that context, at least) to the point where (again, within context) it should be able to be used in a non-offensive manner. Again, I refer you to queer.

Posted by S

I'm of the opinion that all words should be kept to their original defintions in order to further develope the english language into a stronger and more intellectual one, through force of culture making people learn concepts and words in order to better articulate themselves. With that said, I'd expect the word "Nigger" to be used within its pure definition, one of predjudice or even more so, one of non-predjudice but mere ignorance. The root of the word, is not, in fact negative but merely means black. It was coined as an insult though so it's really up to debate as far as that goes. Doesn't really matter what I believe though, a fad is a fad and those that wish to be funny on shotty satire and force a word to evolve into something else is nothing I can control.

Do I think it should be used as a joke? No.

Do I really have any control? No.

Do I think people are idiots for using it? Whatever floats your boat.

Like I stated above, If you are that greatly effected by the use of a word, then you are weak...

Posted by S

Quoting Obscurum Contagiion: Like I stated above, If you are that greatly effected by the use of a word, then you are weak...

Making a general, sweeping, statement about someone to justify your cause without proper backing is just as weak. In fact, words are of less power than physical but that, by no means, suggests that they should be disregarded as far as an emotional level goes. One's mental stability could be destroyed by words. The only thing physicality has as far as superiority goes, is the reinforcement of negative norms through abuse and the altering of the social conscience in a person to an extreme.

Ridiculing someone for being affected by words is ignorant. There are many, many mental disorders based on abuse... verbal abuse. This does not make people weak because you'd be in the same position had you been where they were. Step into someone else's shoes before you call them weak, because they may be stronger than you - you're just too blind to see it.

Quoting Lunairetic:
Making a general, sweeping, statement about someone to justify your cause without proper backing is just as weak. In fact, words are of less power than physical but that, by no means, suggests that they should be disregarded as far as an emotional level goes. One's mental stability could be destroyed by words. The only thing physicality has as far as superiority goes, is the reinforcement of negative norms through abuse and the altering of the social conscience in a person to an extreme.

Ridiculing someone for being affected by words is ignorant. There are many, many mental disorders based on abuse... verbal abuse. This does not make people weak because you'd be in the same position had you been where they were. Step into someone else's shoes before you call them weak, because they may be stronger than you - you're just too blind to see it.

no

Posted by S

Were you hurt by my words? ;(

Quoting Lunairetic: Were you hurt by my words? ;(

hurt ?
hahaha, thats funny.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Lord of Spam;527362]yeah, when im talking to my A+ and mcse certified, 5'6", 130 lbs friend who has never even seen a ghetto and who makes most paper look dark a nigga, i totally mean that hes a low intellect person of african descent LOL.
I'm certainly not saying people are trying to offend when they say it. In fact, most people don't use it to offend these days. However, the multiple definitions are all still commonly referred to, and can mean different things in the same context. It changes only based on delivery and intent, which are obvious factors that people can pick up on.

I won't argue that it has evolved. It most certainly has. But it's prior definition hasn't dissapeared, and that's why it's still controversial.
[quote]Most people that are offended by the word in its "nigga" use are more stuck on then past than the people using it. They CHOOSE to get upset rather than realize that the word has evolved (in that context, at least) to the point where (again, within context) it should be able to be used in a non-offensive manner. Again, I refer you to queer.
The "nigga" usage of it can still mean the same thing as if you pronounced the "er," even without a change in context. They're always been interchangable, but people refuse to acknowledge it so they can use the one version without consequence. If it's clear that you have no intent to offend and were joking around, you'll still get some strange and angry glances since it's still going to remain an offensive term for a long time. Still, in that kind of context, it shouldn't cause a huge fuss.

Even if you're giving it a different meaning, it will remind people of it's original definition.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Lord of Spam: As a side note, I tend to use nigga when screwing around with certain of my goofier nerdy friends in sort of an ironic way. Like, "lol we're so ******* lame LOL SUP NIGGA"

Same here, and I can say it aloud in school because there is no black people in my school ;o

Just the dumb spanish people who think they are black that get offended by it. Not saying all Spanish people, just the ones I am talking about.

Posted by The Judge

Silly Mexicans

Quoting The Judge: Silly Mexicans

indeed

Posted by Bebop

The name 'Krammer' looks like it has 4 'Ns' in it. Make of that what you will.

Posted by Arwon

People who speak [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents]non-rhotic[/url] varieties of English, such as myself (or people from Boston I guess), pronounce "nigga" and "n*gger" more or less identically. Ho-hum.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Is it a big deal? Seriously, does it really matter if a white guys says the "N" word and a black guy overhears?

Let's say there's a group of black guys standing on some street corner, talking. They're using words like "cracker" in every sentence. And then a white guy comes walking down the sidewalk. Are they going to stop saying it, or even slow down with their use of racial slurs? Almost certainly not.

Now, let's say you've got a group of white guys standing on a corner, and they're using the word "N*gger", in a non-racist way. Just screwing around. They'll stop saying it if they see a black person anywhere nearby. Just because they don't want to upset him.

Seems kinda one sided, eh?

I think it's stupid that people still get upset over the casual use of the word. I mean, it's one thing if you're a black guy, in an area you're unfamiliar with, and someone yells, "You n*ggers ain't welcome here!" Yeah, I'd be upset if I was in that place, too. However, when me and a white friend jokingly call each other "n*gger", we shouldn't have to worry about if someone else takes offense.

Sure, there are racist idiots out there who use the word to look down on black people. But there are also people like me who joke around and dont' actually mean to offend or bother anyone. It's gayed that I can't say n*gger without first glancing over my shoulder to make sure no black people are nearby.

****** is such a ******ish word that only a true ****** would take it in an offensive manner. Oh and by the way.
[SIZE="7"][FONT="Impact"][COLOR="red"]"NIGGAS"[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
Edit

Quoting Iris: I don't really think it should be used at all. Most black people don't use it any more effectively than whites.

I say dude far more than I say nigga, ******o, negro, ******, black, white, albino, puerto, rican, mexican or caucasian. I think it's funny almost always. Racism itself is funny as long as no one gets hurt in the process. Think about it. If someone were to come up to you and say things similar to what Rukus from The Boondocks would, you'd laugh right.

The only time I think it's not cool is if someone says it completely wrong like this...
"Oh no this jar won't open. I guess I should just ******ize it."
"These Lay's potato chips are ******ific"
"I'll do it when ******s fly."
"I'm better at being a ****** than you because I can solve complex mathemathical equations with out the use of a calculator."
etc...
Basically, when people get their racism wrong it annoys me.

Posted by Desperado

Back in Africa, I had no idea of it's existence. Its only when I moved to the Americas that people started saying it from left and right. Personaly the word has no meaning to me...i don't know what a ****** is.

"Never Ignorrant Getting Goals Accomplished" is diffrent though, that's what i'm standing by. You could be white, asian, latin...dosen't matter long as you ride for the facts, i'l call you a N.I.G.G.A

Posted by fates warning

I cant wait to go tell all the black people I know that im a n.i.g.g.a!

Quoted post:
"Never Ignorrant Getting Goals Accomplished" is diffrent though, that's what i'm standing by. You could be white, asian, latin...dosen't matter long as you ride for the facts, i'l call you a N.I.G.G.A

That's pretty ****ing stupid.

Posted by Omni

Is that something you invented or is there some organization on non-racists that I haven't heard about?

Uh, he's not only black, he's actually from Africa. Needless to say, he's not smart enough to think of something like that. His little ****** brain probably doesn't even know what half of those words mean.

Plus, I've heard it before.

Posted by Omni

LOL, my bad. I only read part of his post out of the assumption he was a worthless ******. After reading your post just now, my expectations of him dropped even lower.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iris: The "nigga" usage of it can still mean the same thing as if you pronounced the "er," even without a change in context.

Uh, no? its commonly accepted that pronouncing it with the a is the nonoffensive version (when used in friendly context) and the er is the one intended to offend. Say ******, even it was intended as a friendly remark, and its going to offend. Say nigga, and chances are it wont unless the person has a stick so far up their *** that theres branches growing out their mouth.

LoS is right in this case. Unless you're a southerner. Then it's all the same.

Posted by Iris

I've seen blacks use both versions when talking amongst themselves, both in a friendly fashion. It can be casual or offensive regardless of how you'd spell it out. Even with the "er," it's only going to offend some one if it seems like the person's seriously being derogatory. That is, between close friends. I'm sure a black person would get offended, regardless of pronounciation or context, if a complete stranger walked up and called him that.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have never, EVER heard a black person pronounce the -er unless they were making fun of a white person trying to sound "hip" and failing. where the hell are you hearing this, cuz they seem to be out of synch with pretty much all of black youth culture.

Posted by Iris

It's usually from black people who talk slightly slower and enounciate more. It's just as accepted though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Again. Never heard it. EVER. Not once. So pardon me if I call bull****.

not to mention, ya know, that the usual explaination as to how its told apart from its more racist variant is that it ends with an a. so yeah, bs.

Posted by fates warning

well I go to a 70% black school, so I guess I would call myself a "nigger expert". Well, LoS is right, they dont pronounce the er.

Posted by NES Queen

amongst the company of certain white friends of mine, we'll use the phrase "niglet" to describe obnoxious ill-behaved black children, because its funny.

Quoted post: It's usually from black people who talk slightly slower and enounciate more. It's just as accepted though.

I call bull****. No black man can pronounce "-er." Either way, he's ****ing black. They're allowed to say it. It's their word now.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;569237]I call bull****. No black man can pronounce "-er." Either way, he's ****ing black. They're allowed to say it.
Ha! Then explain the word "rapper" to me, when applied to the black community. I hear them saying it all the time, with no fail.

[quote]It's their word now.Wanna take it back?

Quoted post: Ha! Then explain the word "rapper" to me, when applied to the black community. I hear them saying it all the time, with no fail.

It's just your subconscious filling in the blanks.

And yes, let's.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

After we take the N word back, let's get Porch Monkey back too.

Oh, and I also have never heard a black person say it with the "er". The only time they do is when they're making fun of a white person who uses the word.

We should change this thread title, though. It may get confusing because judging by the title, we may be discussing "nigger" or "nappy-headed hos". Quite misleading.

Posted by Iris

It's not BS. I've seen at least 2 different black people say it, and not while mocking a white person. But like Vamp said, it's kind of "their word" so it doesn't really matter how they pronounce it.

Posted by Omni

The fact of the matter is that they should learn how to pronounce English anyway, but it's beyond their simple tribal culture and primitive brains to do so. I hate how they talk that way and expect to be taken seriously by white people.

Posted by Oforia

We should establish death facilities everywhere and exterminate them!

Posted by Tyler Durden

Stop thinking like a Jew. There you go getting fixated on the past, again Mixxy.. Germans are so beyond death camps.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: The fact of the matter is that they should learn how to pronounce English anyway, but it's beyond their simple tribal culture and primitive brains to do so. I hate how they talk that way and expect to be taken seriously by white people.

Yes<333

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Down The Sun: Stop thinking like a Jew. There you go getting fixated on the past, again Mixxy.. Germans are so beyond death camps.

Jews are not capable of such thoughts.

Posted by Buhnz_O'Steele

I'm mixed. The N-word does bother me but not in the way someone would think. Its just that people in the black community have made it SO taboo and "horrible" if anyone says the word, that now it automatically causes pointless discomfort. It doesnt even have as much meaning now as it did back in the day, people just blow it outta proportion.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Mixman;569427]Jews are not capable of such thoughts.

Death camps are so passe, get into 2007 *****. We're into live skinning and acid baths.

Posted by muffla

[IMG]http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/060410.jpg[/IMG]

nuff said

i think that afroamericans should just acept that people will use this word and, most of the time, not mean anything bad. ether that or stop saying it to eachother

Posted by inequity

[url]www.ABolishTheNWord.com[/url]

Quit saying nigga, spread the word!

If you use VGcats to prove or support a point, whatever point you were trying to make is null and void.

Posted by Degeneration

The word was founded by ignorance and stolen in ignorance. In order to consider it okay because your race permits it, you have to turn a blind eye to where it came from. The idea is no better than that of the people who first put the word into circulation. I'm sure they felt quite permitted because of their race, too.

A lot of people just seem to suffer from chronic dumb. Stating the obvious on a dedicated website won't change a thing, no matter how much we wish it would. =/