Wii hates Light

Posted by Bebop

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/09/sunlight-wiis-biggest-foe/

Quite annoying but not a mbig deal for me. If block the sun to avoid glare on my TV. If thats where my sensor is hopefully it wont be a big problem.

That and gamers also hate sun light amirite?

Posted by Lord of Spam

******* it, I live in florida. I'm ****ed.:(

Posted by Bebop

I've been to Florida. Your grass is sharp and rough.

Posted by Dexter

Rainy Oregon for the win. I'm on the coast, though, and when the sun's out, it's exceptionally luminous, especially when reflecting off the ocean. I'm sure it won't be too bad.

Posted by Bebop

Meh just draw your curtain slightly so none is hitting the screen. Surely none of you play with glare? i cant stand it.

Posted by Hyper

I guess I'll just have to put my TV under my window. That'd solve the problem, amirite?

Posted by Proto Man

Halogen lights are also bad for Wii, they mess up the aiming.

All I have to say is this...

[IMG]http://www.feldschmid.com/fotos/gollum/gollum.gif[/IMG]

Wii hates the light! Wii hates it, Wii hates it!!!

Posted by Slade

I used to have to play with glare almost all the time due to bad TV location. One side of my house is all windows.:(

But hey, that's just a few weeks out of the year when I'd have to wait until dark to play.

Posted by Bebop

Ha ha best image of a gamer ever

Posted by Slade

They only come out at night...

Posted by Dexter

I don't play with glare. I usually set the televisions up where glare will forever be absent. Gothic-wiilolita!

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Proto Man: [IMG]http://www.feldschmid.com/fotos/gollum/gollum.gif[/IMG]

First thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

*Must spread rep*

Posted by Dexter

I actually like this flaw, if one could call it that. It seems to give the Wii more personality.

Posted by Zeta

It's not a problem for me; I live in a basement. :cookie:

Posted by Dexter

I have a totally empty basement that will soon be specifically tailored to fit the Wii. I really should embellish it and make something out of nothing.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I have shutters for blinds and my lights are always off. So there's no problem for me.

Posted by TendoAddict

I wonder just how much this affects the wii. Are we talking about total melt down or just a shacky aim? I also wonder how much coverup it will need, Could the glare from the little sun left by the curtain affect it?

I wish I could test this, but alas.

Quoted post: Are we talking about total melt down or just a shacky aim?

Guess.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: Guess.

TOTAL MELT DOWN!

BINGO

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Darnit! I'll have to take down all of my sunlamps, reflectors, strobe lights, and lasers with fog machines I've currently got setup to enhance my TV viewing.

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo have largely solved the problem (says so in their Wii development blog thing). It only really means you can't have sunlight shining directly onto the sensor bar, and therefore the TV.

Not really a problem considering if sunlight is shining on it you won't be able to see the screen anyway.

It's only because the sensor bar (which actually doesn't have any sensors at all) has 2 rows of 4 infrared LEDs that the wiimote uses for tracking.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I have to keep my curtains closed all the time anyway - I live on the ground floor right next to a bus stop.

Although this thread has reminded me that I will need to keep my bedroom floro clean if I want to fully enjoy the Wii. Not something I relish.

Posted by Fate

I play with closed blinds. My boyfriend, however, doesn't, and his gaming experience and habits are of utmost importance.

Complete darkness.
:devil:

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I live in Florida as well. No matter how hard i try to block the sun from reflecting on my T.V, it always seems to sneak it's way in, somehow. I work while the sun is out anyways so it won't be a problem for me.[/COLOR]

Posted by s0ul

We would be making fun of this if it was a PS3 problem.

I do play in the darkest conditions possible anyway, but hooray for this reinforcing gamer stereotypes. :(

Posted by GameMiestro

At first I thought this was talking about the DS Lite. And I was like, "why can't we all just get along?"

Quoted post: We would be making fun of this if it was a PS3 problem.

It's funny because it's true. We disgust me.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: We would be making fun of this if it was a PS3 problem.

We did laugh at it

Remember?

*Flash Back*

[quote]

[IMG]http://www.feldschmid.com/fotos/gollum/gollum.gif[/IMG]

What do you want? Comedy hour? I can see it now.

In recent news it was discovered that the Wii disliked Sun Light. Weather Garlic or Steaks through the Heart affect it remains to be unseen.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting TendoAddict: We did laugh at it

Remember?

*Flash Back*

What do you want? Comedy hour? I can see it now.

In recent news it was discovered that the Wii disliked Sun Light. Weather Garlic or Steaks through the Heart affect it remains to be unseen.

Lol, yeah or what about this:

Quoting TendoAddict: Are we talking about total melt down or just a shacky aim?

Quoting Vampiro: Guess.

Quoting Proto Man: TOTAL MELT DOWN!

Quoting Vampiro: BINGO

Posted by s0ul

You guys are profoundly stupid.

None of those were funny. And you completely missed his whole point. How that's possible, I'm not sure.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=s0ul]We would be making fun of this if it was a PS3 problem.

Everyone has a gaming bias, you're a liar if you say you don't (not you specifically). Kicking someone when they're down is always more fun, anyway, and Sony are pretty much below sea level right now.

Posted by Drewboy64

It odesn't matter at all. Who is going to leave the bar in sunlight that's intense enough for so long? Besides, once you take it out it'll be fine.

Also, you wouldn't playi n the sunlight because of glare.

Posted by Flounder

well its not a huge problem. like speedy said, it has to be directly on. and even so, it would not be hard to cover the bar with something

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: None of those were funny. And you completely missed his whole point. How that's possible, I'm not sure.

I knew what he was talking about. But his point was, well, pointless.

This may be the second or third black mark for the Wii(given what you think is bad or not). While the PS3 is on Black Mark Number...er...yeah. Individual things are hardly funny but they build up it becomes funny. If the Wii was in the ****ter we would probably rip on nintendo a ton.

No ones stopping anyone from bashing the Wii's Sun problem any ways.

Quoting Flounder: it would not be hard to cover the bar with something

You realise the sensor bar needs to be able to 'see' the Wiimote, right?

Good job, Chief!

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting TendoAddict:
No one stopping anyone from bashing the Wii's Sun problem anyways.

I think my siggy somewhat does that anyways...

My Wii will be in the basement, so it should be fine. Although I am a little worried about the fact that that there are sliding glass doors down there.

Posted by s0ul

That's not making fun of it, stupid, it's making jokes related to the subject. If you can't see how that's different I'm driving to Pennsylvania and kicking you in the nuts.

It's nowhere near as sensitive as everyone seems to think, anyway, and according to Nintendo it was a problem realised early in development and a lot of time was spent sorting it out.

It'll be roughly the same amount of trouble you have getting your TV remote to work when there's sun shining on the sensor.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings:
It'll be roughly the same amount of trouble you have getting your TV remote to work when there's sun shining on the sensor.

Then I shouldn't have a problem then, because I have never had that problem happen to me (relating to the remote)

Posted by Killer Jordo

Probably won't affect me. Seeing as my Wii is going into my basement.

Posted by Colonel

No a big deal for me. My Wii will be in the basement.

Posted by Proto Man

Thanks to whoever cleaned up the stupid stuff over TendoAddict's spelling. I think to go on like that was stupid an unnecessary to make a fuss like that over it.

Anyhow, here is Ninty's official word on this situation:

Quoting Nintendo Representative: Our testing thus far shows no great risk of light interference when playing a game that relies on the pointer and sensor bar.

Posted by TendoAddict

I wonder why sun light effects the Wii's controlls in the first place. I dont quite understand how anything the sun emits (Basic light rays, UV rays, ect.) could effect the sensor bar.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting TendoAddict: UV rays

That's probably part of it right there...

Also the sun has other rays as well. Anyhow the sensor is looking for commands from the Wii-mote via blue-tooth radio. When the rays from the sun shine in, it confuses the sensor. Plus the sun always interferes with radio waves.

The sun emits many types of light. The sensor bar uses one of those types of light to track the Wiimote's position.

Not hard to grasp.

Posted by Speedfreak

The controller communicates with the system via bluetooth, but it uses infrared to first figure out where it's pointing by using the IR signals from the sensor bar. The Sun gives out a ton of infrared, so the signal would get lost in a blast of IR from the Sun.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote]It is as of yet unclear how garlic affects Wiimote functionality or load times.

That'd be purty kewl.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Princess Fate: My boyfriend, however, doesn't, and his gaming experience and habits are of utmost importance.

It depends. If I'm playing an epic-like game, like Zelda and Metal Gear Solid, I'll play in complete darkness and with nobody around. There will be times, however, when I'm in the middle of the game just messing around or tediously looking for a particular item to collect, when I won't care if the blinds are open or not. On the other hand, I usually play sports games with the blinds open, since I usually played sports in the afternoon.

Oh well, who cares. I don't see that particular problem as an issue for me whatsoever.

Posted by Bebop

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/more-wii-heliophobia-207115.php

Ok so apparantly for it to affect gameplay it needs to be absolutely swamped in light. Like if you couldnt see the screen at all. False alarm folks.

Quoting Bebop: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/more-wii-heliophobia-207115.php

Ok so apparantly for it to affect gameplay it needs to be absolutely swamped in light. Like if you couldnt see the screen at all. False alarm folks.

All this and more, from the This-Is-Not-News-And-Could-Be-Worked-Out-With-Half-A-Brain Dept.!