Do you have an original Game Boy?

Posted by Proto Man

Do you have an original, fat, gray, monochrome, dot matrix screen, Game Boy? If so, why? Though I have a GBA SP, lately I have had the urge to buy an original Game Boy, and I am not sure why. Maybe it is the collector in me, and maybe because it is classic retro. I would play it too, because even though I can play Super Mario Land, Tetris, and Kirby's Dreamland on my Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player, and GBA SP, they don't have the magic feel that playing them on the original system would give.

I remember when the first Game Boy's came out, I wanted one so bad, and when I played them, they had that old magic feeling to it, that alot of games don't have anymore. I never had one though because my mom said it would hurt my eyes, so I ended up getting Sega Game Gear instead, which I don't regret, but I didn't end up getting a Game Boy till the Game Boy Color came out.

Posted by Boner

I had one. It didn't work right. So, I took it apart to have a look at its guts. By today's standards, there is probably a net value of about $.50 worth of technology in those things, lol. There's just not much to them. But, I know what you mean about that "magic" feel to them. A friend of mine says he has one burried in his basement in a nice carrying case with a bunch of games for it. Instruction books and all. He says if he ever finds it, it's mine. He hasn't touched it in about 9 years or so. That thing has got to be mint.

Posted by coromoro

I still have mine, which actually used to be my sister's. I also like to use it at times, even if it takes four whole batteries to make it work.

Posted by loony636

I have it somewhere deep in my drawers. I also have a Gameboy pocket. They were good at the time, but by today's standards, they're ****.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting loony636: I have it somewhere deep in my drawers. I also have a Gameboy pocket. They were good at the time, but by today's standards, they're ****.

Yeah if you look at it that way, but the original Game Boy is still awesome, no matter how old and outdated it is!

Posted by inequity

I still have mine....

[img]http://ncmail.netscape.com/attachment/SW5ib3g=/463310/1/image/jpeg/base64/inline/[/img]

[img]http://ncmail.netscape.com/attachment/SW5ib3g=/463309/1/image/jpeg/base64/inline/[/img]

best 15 bucks I ever spent............*ahem*

then theres all the other gameboys i have.
http://ncmail.netscape.com/attachment/SW5ib3g=/463311/1/image/jpeg/base64/inline/

All Im missing is a gameboy color. I refuse to pay 20 bucks for it.

Posted by inequity

I still have mine....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/FlashArchive/cleangameboy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/FlashArchive/gameboy2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/FlashArchive/gameboy1.jpg

best 15 bucks I ever spent..........................

Im only missing a gameboy color. I refuse to pay 20 dollars for it.

Posted by Corrupt

I don't actually possess mine anymore, no... but a close friend of mine has it, still intact and everything. I gave it to him years ago back when he didn't have a Gameboy, and I was just getting a Game Boy Pocket, which were new at the time. So, yeah... I'm glad that my first Gameboy is still in good hands.

Posted by Bubblez

I also have my first Gameboy. The controlls don't work well anymore (they are a bit slower) but you can still play with it. Besides that I also have the adapter to play GB games on the S-Nes, it's mainly with this that I play the old games. But the GB is one of the consoles that have the biggest retro feeling for me.

I still remember when my mom got if for me for X-Mas. She let me play with it for a day when she has bought it and then wrapped it and I had to way for X-Mas until I could play again. My first games were Super Mario World, Tetris and (maybe a bit later) Solar Striker.

Posted by Stalolin

My brother still has his first Game Boy, but I gave mine away. I'm quite sure that everything on the Game Boy still works fine.

Posted by pooper_scooper3

i have one but i don't have a battery case. i bought it off a kid on my street like 6 years ago for 5 bucks and i got three games YOSHI, MARIO BASEBALL, AND MARIO

Posted by loony636

Quoting pooper_scooper3 : and i got three games

What were the games?

Posted by Project ShadowX

I still have my original Game Boy.

Posted by Thingy

I still have mine. except its busted. It brings back memories.

Posted by Litbut

I sold my GBC because I wanted some money for it. I'd like one and an original GB and some games for it now. I love the classics. Like the magic that River City Ransom EX had brought to me. That's what I want in games. I've got the Game Boy Player with I like to use the D-Pad and the A and B buttons for the games. The older games rock in my opinion.

Posted by Thingy

i remember when i stayed up all night playing mine

Posted by VicE

I still have mine. It's in horrible condition - there's some sticky gunk on the back and the plastic covering on the screen is missing because I left it in the car on a hot day and the glue melted off - but it still works.

The way I actually got the thing is actually kind of amusing. It was supposed to be my present for my 6th birthday, but my sister got it down from its hiding place like a week before and let me play it early. XD We kept that up for a few days and never got caught, but one day Mom decided to come home early and we didn't have time to put it back...

I think my sis got into more trouble than I did, though. :P

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I got mine when I was four, and from that point on, I was hooked on video games. I totally still have it, and it is in really good condition despite its age. My first game was Super Mario 2: The 6 Golden Coins. The GB was $39.99 and I bought it at Circuit City.

Boy, Memories.....

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I have two. But one of them's mutilated because of the Retro SP Project.

I WILL finish that one day.

Posted by bazariah

i still have my original "old skool" chunky grey monochrome baby, and it still looks brand new.. i see others which were bought at the same time and they are chipped, covered in crap and generally disgusting, but mine is still minty fresh, and the original packaging is still extremley good, not bad for a system i've had for over 14 years

Posted by Random

Yeah I do have an original Gameboy that works. I bought it years and years ago. I don't play it much but after I got rid of my SP I wanted to play Final Fantasy I and used my original Gameboy for it :-D

Unfortunately I have to get rid of it soon.. I ship out and i'll prob sell it. Their going for like 5 bucks on ebay plus I have 5 games for it, and two System links. Unfortunately I probably won't get 30 out of it.

Posted by Light

i don't have one yet i've got the pocket and the newset except for the ds system once i ahve thsoe 2 i will ahve every gameboy that has been released

Posted by Chronic

I have the original gray bulky game boys. I think they should make the old game boys nuclear powered. ;)

Posted by Illyria110

i have one, it's not actually mine, some kid left it at my house a long time ago...his mistake

Posted by Ch

I used to have one. I loved those things. I think I left it somewhere in New York City went I went there years ago. I want it back :(

Posted by recon62

hi

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Hell yeah! I still have mine lol. It kicks major a$$.

Posted by speedemon35

I have one. Why? I just bought it when it came out and it was the perfect toy to spend my time while i was bored. Maybe one day it will become a rare colectors item:P

Posted by Fox McCloud

I never a Game Boy for quite sometime but my cousin still haves his original GB.

Posted by Text Attraction

Well since i'm younger than the lot of you, my geekdom catalyst was the Gameboy Pocket, a blue one that is still near and dear to my heart with all the memories tied to it =(. But not in physical distance, it's ina blue totebag somewhere in a box : D, I sure wish I could find it.

But anyway, speaking of the old grey bulky ones. I was at a junk store a few days ago in Claremont (The armpit of New Hampshire) and I saw one in a case next to some Gamegear games. It looked so lonely...It's life was only worth five bucks =( So I bought it. And it's sitting on my shelf, Lame eh? XD

Posted by psp

i have two, one works and one doesnt.

Posted by CRONOfrog9

I have a black one and a gray one. both work but they use a lot of batteries.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I have one. It was my dad's orginal but he gave it to me. I don't have the back to it, but as far as I know it still works.

Posted by Random

I do have an original Gameboy. Infact I have purchased all the Gameboys with the exception of a DS. I'll probably stop now though. I'm getting agrivated with new Gameboys left and right. Plus i'm more of a home console person. But Yes I still have my Old Gray Gameboy. Had the chance to sell it for $10 but I chose not to.

Posted by R3N3G4D3

my original is kinda faded and yellow

motorcross maniacs!!!!!!

Posted by Lord of Spam

I jsut got mine back from the place I was storing it (along with all my other old skool systems). Stillworks. Good times.

Posted by GameMiestro

Yes, I still have one, however mine is a custom made GBA where the entire case is made of clear plastic. I got it off of some kid in Pennsalvania, he was so excited about the Pocket coming out...

Also, there are some games that work best on the original Game Boy, and the sound of some of the original games sound better on the original. Not to mention it being good for trading on old Pokemon games... :P

Quoting GameMiestro: Yes, I still have one, however mine is a custom made GBA where the entire case is made of clear plastic. I got it off of some kid in Pennsalvania, he was so excited about the Pocket coming out...

Wait, what? A GBA inside a Classic GameBoy shell?

That was my idea!

Posted by GameMiestro

The shell is a GBA. The hardware is from the original GameBoy.

Pointless, but it looks cool.

Posted by junior senior

I have two, and they're both in great condition; one a little bit more than the other, but still great! I have everything, too, the back, the huge GameBoy case it came with, another case, both versions of Super Mario Land(?) (one was special edition) and the Tetris that came free with one. I'm gonna go find it right now...

and I still have a TON of games for it.

Posted by Big Boss

The last time I saw mine it was a sticky mess, probably caused by expired AA batteries. If I still have it, it's somewhere in a closet at my parents' place in Venezuela. I still have the original games with me though, including Super Mario Land, Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (I loved that game), Fist of the North Star and Tetris.

Posted by Slade

Meh, I don't have mine anymore, probably sold it away after getting a Color. Or, more accurately, for the extra money I needed to get a Color. Anyways, it had originally belonged to my older brother, and I'd steal it away while he was doing homework to play TMNT and Motocross Maniacs. I remember the day I found out you could do flips in MM for power-ups, which was actually more than a year after I first started playing the game. :/

Haha yeah, I didn't find out you could do that in MM for ages either. They should rerelease that game with a save function.

Posted by Colonel

but of course.

Posted by Red

Gameboy pocket is as far back as I go.

Posted by Crazy K

I do have an original Gameboy, but there is a story to how I got it. My sister about like 10 years ago found it in a club house in the girls bathroom with a wheel of fortune game it in. So she took it home and I have it to this day, but I lost my battery cover to it.

I of course never use it because I got a GBA now, even though I rarely use that as well.

Posted by Random

I have an original Gameboy. Not mint condition... doubt it'd sell for anything but its kewl to have.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I still have the original Gameboy. Two of them in fact...

Posted by Cruxis

I Still have my 1989 Gameboy, 1996 remake Colored edition (Black), and my brother's green Gameboy (that I stole from him when we where kids). I don't really plan to get rid of them anytime soon, but if I see one of them go for a hundred bucks or so on ebay or antiques Road Show, then I would consider it.

Posted by DPDude

I had one, but years ago...at McDonalds...it lost to some syrup.

Never ate breakfast there again.

Posted by ShadowsQuest2500

YEP! I am a proud owner of this "blue print" of Nintendo hand held gaming. I even have the "original" adapter...and I'm not talking about the small cube shaped one either.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Random: I have an original Gameboy.

Lol@Random

Dude, that's the third time you said that in this thread. he he

Anyhow I FINALLY bought one, and I am LOVING it. Plus I don't have to use my brother's GBA SP anymore. The condition is decent. The screen has a couple scratches, but it has the battery cover, and even the EXT cover. It works pretty good!

Posted by NeXidala

Glad for you Protoman. I also have an original Gamboy that it has also lost its battery cover so it sometimes randomly shuts off while I'm playing because I move the battery. But other than the battery cover, mine is in good condition. :D

Posted by Proto Man

Actually, does anyone else seem to think that GB games sound better on an original GB than lets say... a GBA? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Proto Man]Actually, does anyone else seem to think that GB games sound better on an original GB than lets say... a GBA? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Well, the music was designed for the now obsolete speakers on the original gameboy. So when it plays on the GBA, it just sounds a little... scratchy.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting GameMiestro: Well, the music was designed for the now obsolete speakers on the original gameboy. So when it plays on the GBA, it just sounds a little... scratchy.

Heh, it may be obsolete, but there are music groups out there that use original GB's as instruments. Anyhow yeah, that's what I was thinking though. It sounds more tinny than on a regular GB. Of course I guess it's understandable because the speaker on the GBA is designed for the full sound of 16 and 32 bit GBA games. This is another reason though why it's good to have an old GB around.

Posted by puplup

well i use to0 have one but i gave it away i could probly get it back

Posted by puplup

i gave it to my cuzz he dont play it any more

Posted by Enchirito

6 Golden Coins was a very well made game...I think my first game for GB was Street Fighter 2...unless you count the Tetris cartridge that came with it

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]I have all of the Game Boys. ALL OF THEM. The original, the pocket (in the limited edition Ice Blue color, even, because I'm a fag), the color, the advance, and the SP. I've got a DS, too, so I need to complete my collection with the DS lite.[/COLOR]

Posted by Breakman

i had an original gameboy, then a green one, then a clear gameboy pocket

all broke (the green one was actually lost, with my copy of tetris inside :< )

then a super gameboy, gameboy color, gba and blue DS all of which are still intact

Posted by Corrupt

I know I've posted in this thread before, but what the hell.

I remember I got my original Gameboy on an unspecified date from an ex-friend who didn't want it anymore, which pretty much blew my mind and made my day (at the same time). I believe I was like 9 years old at the time, for the record. A couple of years afterward, when the Pok

Posted by junior senior

anybody have a Lite?

Nintendo World has an original gameboy on display that survived the gulf war

Posted by Zelda_Guy

My aunt has one which she bought for my grampa but then he didnt like it so she just kept it in her house. Its still in the box with everything!

Posted by Ziggy R

I got one, but it doesn't work anymore...

It broke while I was playing Tetris =./

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

i bought mine from my friend's friend for like 5 dollars. not with me though...

Posted by reference

Yes I do with 125 games including two copies of Tetris but I wish one had different music for game A.