What are the greatest travesties to happen to the video game industry?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

In your opinion, what events completely shocked you, negatively, concerning video games? Are there any? For example, I still think that Interplay's closing of Black Isle studios was the stupidest, most dip****, vile thing that has ever happened in the video game industry (and yes, I am keeping in mind the sega cd system). Also, I think that 3drealms's announcing of Duke Nukem Forever was pretty awful too. These two still sadden me, to this day :(

Posted by Breakman

Shouldn't these be in general gaming?

But to stay on-topic, I think there are many awesome examples I can't think of, but I might as well throw out some obvious one; such as, Rareware, who did great in the SNES days and pretty much ruled Nintendo in the N64 days, quitting the company completely after the whole Starfox Adventures fiasco, and not having evne made a decent game on another system since.

Posted by Fate

Jack Thompson and Joseph Lieberman. "Shocking" sounds like too much, but they're still pretty vile.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

yeah. .. I actually thought I had put this in general gaming. . .

Posted by GameMiestro

Losing Joe on Oregon Trail after setting the pace to "grueling" and the rations to "minimal" for two straight weeks.

That was the most devestating day in my 3'rd grade video game career.

Posted by Zeta

I am disgusted that no one has mentioned the death of Gunpei Yokoi.

Posted by GameMiestro

The fact that few people realize that Oregon Trail is the most psychologically influential game ever created.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh whatever. 90% of the people who played oregon trail did so for the hunting part

edit: oh, and purposely killing the names of friends' moms so they'd have a tombstone.

Posted by KoH

G4 (Tech TV) and their attempts at attracting people aside from gamers.