Ledger as Joker

Posted by Bebop

No thread on this so might as well make one.

So Heath Ledger is to play the joker in the new Batman film. Jack Nichloson's role as the Joker was just short of an abomination. I doubt Heath will take it any lower. So..he must be good!

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bebop: Jack Nichloson's role as the Joker was just short of an abomination.

[COLOR="Yellow"]What?!?!?

I was surprised when i heard Nolan chose Ledger as the role, Heath said himself in a recent interview with IGN "i wouldn't have thought of me, either". But this is Cristopher Nolan we're talking about, he has single-handedly given the Dark Knight his dignity back and i'm certain he saw potential in Ledger to fill the villain's shoes, so i'm supporting his decision a hundred percent.

On a side note, everyone should stop thinking wether this Joker will be similar or dissimilar to Nicholson's version. Don't get me wrong, Nicholson's Joker was brilliant but this is a brand new retelling of Batman of and we should think of it as so.

A bit of extra info. Nolan revealed last that attorney Harvey Dent who later becomes Batman's future nemesis Two Face would indeed also be in the film, although he hasn't been cast yet.[/COLOR]

Posted by GameMiestro

I didn't know there even was another Batman film. Awesome!

Posted by Bebop

Nicholson's role was overrated tad. People just praised it because there was no other live action role to compare it to and people will thhink nicholson is a genius no matter what.

The Joker is a slim menacing violent lunatic.

Nicholson played a fat childish giggling idiot. Very different.

Posted by Ant

I think they should have gone with Mark Hamill. He did do the voice acting for the Joker in the animated Batman series. Pretty good too, actually.

Posted by Bebop

Mark Hamill does do the voice but he doesnt have the shape. Shame.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting GameMiestro: I didn't know there even was another Batman film. Awesome!

It's called The Dark Knight. Late 07/sometime in 08.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Bebop: People just praised it because there was no other live action role to compare it to

Orly?

Explain this then...

[IMG]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4a/200px-Cesar_Romero_Joker.gif[/IMG]

Quoting Ant: I think they should have gone with Mark Hamill. He did do the voice acting for the Joker in the animated Batman series. Pretty good too, actually.

Here here! I totally agree! Hamill would have been perfect.

Posted by Bebop

Oh snao forgot about him. And I suggest you do the same.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Believe it or not that representation of the Joker in the 1960's television series was similar to his comic persona up to that point. It was a silly, goofy adaptation but a faithful adaptation of the comics from that time nonetheless, so why should we forget about him?[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

My *** you really are a fool.

Anyways back on topic, I trust Nolan. He managed to pull Batman from the cess pool it was in so I cna't see why he'd mess up on the Joker.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]If by "fool" you mean informed, you are quite right.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

No, fool as in you didnt actually understand the post. Everyone knows batman used to be a comedy. BASH BIFF BOINK etc

Posted by Zeta

This thread needs more mention of Adam West.

Posted by Bebop

The lease said about him the better.

Lol I bet Aioros comes in with "omg why SHOULD we not talk about him? he did PALY BATMAN YOU KNOW"

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]You still haven't specified why we should forget about Cesar Romero's Joker.[/COLOR]

Quoting Bebop: Lol I bet Aioros comes in with "omg why SHOULD we not talk about him? he did PALY BATMAN YOU KNOW"

[COLOR="Yellow"]No, we don't have to talk about him because this is a thread about the Joker. DUH.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]You still haven't specified why we should forget about Cesar Romero's Joker.[/COLOR]

It seems you really are an idiot. But fine I'll explain. I was saying it lightheartly like "that TV show was so embarrasing lets pretend it never exisited"

[quote][COLOR="Yellow"]No, we don't have to talk about him because this is a thread about the Joker. DUH.[/COLOR]

No it's about Ledger as the Joker. Try to keep up.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Did you ever think that maybe some people like Cesar's Joker and may want to involve him in the discussion? Have you ever seen the 1960 Batman btw? It was a da[COLOR="Yellow"]m[/COLOR]n fine show.

Try to keep up? You're the first one who brought up Nicholson's Joker and never mentioned we should only discuss his and Ledger's versions. LOL TRY TO KEEP UP!!![/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Did you ever think that maybe some people like Cesar's Joker and may want to involve him in the discussion? Have you ever seen the 1960 Batman btw? It was a da[COLOR="Yellow"]m[/COLOR]n fine show.

Try to keep up? You're the first one who brought up Nicholson's Joker and never mentioned we should only discuss his and Ledger's versions. LOL TRY TO KEEP UP!!![/COLOR]

I didnt care about whether people Ceasar or not. It was only a light hearted comment at best.

Nicholson was used as a comparison. Difference.

Posted by Fate

Nicholson played the character well. I think it was the eyebrows.

Ledger would make a hot Joker.

Posted by Dexter

I want more Scarecrow. Cillian Murphy won. My biggest complaint with Batman Begins was how unsatisfying his ending was. I wanted more hints as to where he ended up. He was too mysterious!

I've actually started to like Ledger lately. He was great in Brokeback.

Isn't Rachel Dawes related to Two-Face or something?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Isn't Rachel Dawes related to Two-Face or something?

Not as far as I know, but they're similar in that they're both DAs of Gotham and both friends of Bruce. I think she might have also been considered as a Two-Face. But... that would've ****ed off too many fans.

Anywho, Peter Sarsgaard should have played Two-Face.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: Not as far as I know, but they're similar in that they're both DAs of Gotham and both friends of Bruce. I think she might have also been considered as a Two-Face. But... that would've ****ed off too many fans.

Anywho, Peter Sarsgaard should have played Two-Face.

I think they should bring back Tommy Lee Jones. I thought he did a pretty good job. Who is this Ledger guy though? I never heard of him.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Proto Man: I think they should bring back Tommy Lee Jones.

As 2 face? GTFO.

Quoted post: I think they should bring back Tommy Lee Jones. I thought he did a pretty good job.

Hahahaha. He was nothing like Two-Face. That whole movie was terrible. Two-Face is actually one of the deepest characters in the entire Batman universe, and Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal was so shallow and, even for Two-Face, way too over the top.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: Hahahaha. He was nothing like Two-Face. That whole movie was terrible. Two-Face is actually one of the deepest characters in the entire Batman universe, and Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal was so shallow and, even for Two-Face, way too over the top.

Actually, now that your saying that... your right. They showed nothing of the link between Two Face and Batman (Harvey Dent's close friendship with Bruce Wayne).

Now, back to my original question, who is Ledger? Like what movies did he play in, because I never heard of him.

Brokeback Mountain.

Posted by Dexter

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

Heath Ledger. He's been in some good films, such as A Knight's Tale, Brokeback Mountain, and Casanova.

Posted by Bebop

Really the most important thing for the Joker is the voice IMO. Hamell nailed it but Ledger would certainly look more the part than Hamill and Nicholson.

Posted by Dexter

Mark Hamill's great at voice acting. I saw the anime Castle in the Sky the other day and he did a terrific job at portraying an educated English villain. I hope Heath Ledger gives The Joker an Australian twist.

Posted by Bebop

Ergh Australian Joker? No thanks.

Posted by Proto Man

Hmm... ok. I guess Ledger would be ok. I still think they should have picked Hamill. Maybe they could use Ledger, but then dub his voice with Hamill's?

Posted by Bebop

We dont know what Ledger's voice will be like. Also that would be kind of dumb. Why change an actor if youre too scared to change the voice? Nolan's Batmans are all about change. Ya dig?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Bebop: We dont know what Ledger's voice will be like. Also that would be kind of dumb. Why change an actor if youre too scared to change the voice? Nolan's Batmans are all about change. Ya dig?

Hey, they did it to David Prowse. He never knew he was being voiced over untill the end when they released the movie.

Posted by Bebop

In what film?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Bebop: In what film?

Star Wars

Posted by Bebop

Ah right. Hmm well he did have a thick accent and the black dude didnt have a body. Plus you didnt see his lips.

Posted by Dexter

I don't want a familiar Joker. I want something new, something refreshing. I want my Australian Joker. Evil, sadistic, funny, and fanatical.

Quoted post: Really the most important thing for the Joker is the voice IMO. Hamell nailed it but Ledger would certainly look more the part than Hamill and Nicholson.

Yeah, Hammel doesn't look the part, but he sounds it.

But I'm telling you guys, Peter Sarsgaard:

[IMG]http://gardnerlinn.com/joker1.JPG[/IMG]

Posted by Proto Man

What about this guy?

[IMG]http://www.michael-jackson.com/mj2002.jpg[/IMG]

He would fit the part IMO. Especially since he, like the Joker is messed up in the head.

Posted by Dexter

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=heath+ledger+joker

Some funnies.

Quoted post: What about this guy?

How witty of you :rolleyes:

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Proto Man: What about this guy?

[COLOR="Yellow"]Early 2005 called, it wants it's joke back.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: But I'm telling you guys, Peter Sarsgaard:

Meh I cant see him being the Joker. Even with make up. Edward Norton if a bit taller would have been a good candidate.

Crispin Glover would have been a good choice. Imagine him with the full mark up and Hamill stlye voice. Also he would suit what the Joker looks like before becoming the Joker.

Posted by Fate

Not enough of a laughing psycho. More like a creepy psycho.

Posted by Bebop

Bah thats half way there isnt it? Really though he naturally looks more like the Joker than anyone else. Especailly Ledger and Nicholson.

Posted by Fate

Nicholson had the script down, which was actually a good portrayal of his character, in my opinion. Looking like Joker is different from playing the role convincingly!

Glover looks like a more calm fellow, to tell you the truth. Nicholson has always been kind of psychotic in his roles. Ledger is a leap of faith.

Posted by Dexter

I like your idea about Edward Norton, Bebop. Not only is he a terrific actor but he can also play a good psycho/creepy guy.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Princess Fate: Looking like Joker is different from playing the role convincingly!

That makes it sound as if Nicholson did a good Joker job. >_<

Posted by Dexter

He did a fine job. It certainly wasn't bad.

Posted by Bebop

It truly was awful in terms of the character. Nicholson is good at doing crazy (The Shiining for instance) but the Joker is beyond insane. A big difference. he really just came off as childish and giggly. Look at the much darker Joker appearances in books and Nicholson's portrayal of the Clown Prince of Crime comes off as tame at best.

Posted by Dexter

That's not entirely Jack's fault, if that's at all what it is. You have to take in account that Tim Burton probably wanted something a little different from his Joker instead of an exact replica. Tim is a guy who has a unique vision, so I'm sure he's not trying to do everything too precise.

Posted by Bebop

Tim Burton also likes to be dark. Why would he chose a tamer version? It is still Nicks fault somewhat. The script might have already been set and naturally the Burton would have decided how he acted but I feel someone like Nicholson should have been able to dig deeper into Joker and convince Burton (what with his reputation and power) that it is what Joker should be. Christ man, Danny DeVitos Penquin was more insane than the Joker! The Penquin character is one of the few Batman villains who isnt crazy!

Posted by Dexter

Tim's never gone too dark. Tim is more silly than he is dark. I thought Joker was crazier than Penguin.

Posted by Bebop

True Burton never goes that dark. But still he should have pushed Joker further. Hmm perhaps the studio didnt want to scare kids.

The Joker is crazier than the Penquin. Just not in the films.

Penguin is actually insane, not just crazy (as in, crazy being less insane than insane.)

Also, I'd like to see the new Joker without any makeup and not as insane, in the literal sense, as he is in the comics. I kinda want a dark, troubled character, not an insane, over-the-top villain. Which is why I liked Sarsgaard so much for the role.

Posted by Fate

I don't know, insane and over-the-top is really what makes Joker. He'd be just another villian if he wasn't clowny and nuts.

Quoted post: I don't know, insane and over-the-top is really what makes Joker. He'd be just another villain if he wasn't clowny and nuts.

being "The Clown Prince of Crime" isn't what makes Joker Joker. It's the fact that he's a criminal genius, completely sadistic, and willing to inflict horrific pain and death to anyone, guilty or innocent, while never quite willing to kill his arch nemesis, Batman, that makes him so compelling. His warped sense of humour can stay, since it's usually dark anyways, but I just think it would be interesting to see a more dark, "humble" Joker.

The only thing he'll lose is having that anthesis representation of Batman. Which, though huge, I can live without.

Posted by Fate

His personality traits are just as important as his appearance. It'd be like taking the Bruce Wayne playboy out of Batman. Wasn't it revealed at one point that that was the way his skin actually was?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Penguin is actually insane, not just crazy (as in, crazy being less insane than insane.)

what? I'm sure he's not because he doenst get placed in Arkham Asylum when arrested. Just a state prison. YOU TELL LIES

The Joker can be funny without bein over the top which is something I'd like to see too. Hamill's Joker from the Batman Beyond movie is a great example of this.

Quoted post: His personality traits are just as important as his appearance. It'd be like taking the Bruce Wayne playboy out of Batman. Wasn't it revealed at one point that that was the way his skin actually was?

It's debatable, though the smile was caused my the chemicals and attempts at reconstructive surgery. At least in Burton's movie. Also, I'm not saying get rid of his entire appearance. I still want him to look like Joker, just without the layers of powder on his face. Like, remember how Nicholson looked? Yeah, I don't want that.

Quoted post: what? I'm sure he's not because he doenst get placed in Arkham Asylum when arrested. Just a state prison. YOU TELL LIES

His eccentricities are quite insane. But yeah, maybe eccentric is a better term. My mistake.

Posted by Fate

I'm pretty sure makeup, dyes, and prosthetics have come a long way since then, so the skin and hair and appearance of Joker won't look so fake. I believe in the series and comics he was exposed to something that made him his Joker self, including his appearance. I bet they can make it look more realistic this time.

Quoted post: I'm pretty sure makeup, dyes, and prosthetics have come a long way since then, so the skin and hair and appearance of Joker won't look so fake. I believe in the series and comics he was exposed to something that made him his Joker self, including his appearance. I bet they can make it look more realistic this time.

It's not the lack of realism, it's the look. Nolan's movie was grounded in the realworld, more or less, that's why Scarecrow was just a man in a sack hood. I just want to see what it would be like, as I've already seen the comicbook Joker, though no where near as insane and sadistic, enough times. I think it would be far more interesting to see a demented man brutally killing innocent people in horrific, unimaginable ways. The Joker appearance dehumanizes him, giving his actions less of an impact. It also doesn't exactly fit Nolan's world, in my opinion.

Posted by Fate

If I remember correctly, Scarecrow's sack face moved along with his own face as if all he was made out of was the sack. Scarecrow was still his Scarecrow self, only we hardly saw him out of his mask in the comics. Nolan, I guess, decided to expand on that, but he didn't take away what made Scarecrow himself: a dumb sack. And Scarecrow was played pretty well for a guy in a sack.

I think the scaryclownthing works well for Joker. His name kind of screams "insane jester", doesn't it?

Quoted post: If I remember correctly, Scarecrow's sack face moved along with his own face as if all he was made out of was the sack. Scarecrow was still his Scarecrow self, only we hardly saw him out of his mask in the comics. Nolan, I guess, decided to expand on that, but he didn't take away what made Scarecrow himself: a dumb sack. And Scarecrow was played pretty well for a guy in a sack.

Comic scarecrow and the movie Scarecrow are pretty different. The former being rather unrealistic.

Also:

"Ledger advised The Toronto Star that "it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of A Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes."

Thanks Nolan for listening to me.

Posted by Fate

I don't know if you are into Batman, but Scarecrow's story is pretty "real". He basically turned villian after being bullied. He ended up paralyzing his bully and killing the bully's girlfriend, he realized he was a sadist (in terms of scaring people), and that's where he began.

Didn't say anything about Joker's appearance, which I think is really important to his character!

Quoted post: I don't know if you are into Batman, but Scarecrow's story is pretty "real". He basically turned villian after being bullied. He ended up paralyzing his bully and killing the bully's girlfriend, he realized he was a sadist (in terms of scaring people), and that's where he began.

Yeah I know, so is Penguin's story, and he can get pretty unreal from time to time. Then again I'm not really talking about their backstory, so whatever.

Quoted post: Didn't say anything about Joker's appearance, which I think is really important to his character!

I don't really care about the appearence anymore. They're using the Grim Joker, which is more or less what I wanted.

Posted by Fate

Grim Joker is fine, so long as he's still off his rocker.

If I recall correctly, he is. He's just more dark and less of a... "joke." Pretty sure it's the Grim Joker who blows up Robin and paralyzes Batgirl. Good stuff.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Bebop:
The Joker can be funny without bein over the top which is something I'd like to see too. Hamill's Joker from the Batman Beyond movie is a great example of this.

Actually Hamill's Joker from Batman the animated series is an even better example IMO.

I still think it would be awesome if they dubbed Hamill's voice over the new movie.

Quoted post: I still think it would be awesome if they dubbed Hamill's voice over the new movie.

Yes, because that wouldn't be ridiculously stupid. :rolleyes:

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: Yes, because that wouldn't be ridiculously stupid. :rolleyes:

Explain how it would be stupid? Ledger looks the part, but Hamill is THE voice of the Joker.

I shouldn't even have to explain why that's a stupid and completely impractical idea.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: I shouldn't even have to explain why that's a stupid and completely impractical idea.

So your saying it was stupid to dub James Earl Jones over David Prowse?

Quoted post: So your saying it was stupid to dub James Earl Jones over David Prowse?

Now I see why I have to explain it to you.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: Now I see why I have to explain it to you.

What's there to explain? I would think it would be like dubbing a cartoon, wouldn't it?

... No... no, not at all.

k, so here's an image of Ledger as the Joker. Pretty cool actually. Oh, and buuuump.

[IMG]http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/790/790237/the-dark-knight-20070521072926061.jpg[/IMG]

Assuming I can't hotlink: http://media.movies.ign.com/media/752/752133/img_4561412.html

Posted by Bebop

Apparantly, this isnt the Joker. Exactly. Apparntly Jospesh Kerr (for sake of argument) dresses up as a joker like in this photo where he smears lipstick over his mouth but during a fight with Batman he becomes the Joker. That is to say Batman 'creates' the Joker. Meaning this photo isnt the final Joker. Which just makes it even awesomer.

Posted by inequity

No one said anything about Crispin Glover? I think he looks like the Joker without the make up on already.

Posted by Nihilus

I have to say I was skeptical at firsy, seeming how my wife just made watch (and I'm sorry for mentioning it and I know it's off subject) Brokeback Mountain. It's been kinda hard to take the guy seriously afer the whole gay cowboy thing. (I think the cowboy part was more annoying truthfully) But, I loved him in Lords of Dogtown and I have to say, he looks pretty **** cool as the Joker in the pic.I never got into Batman as much as I did X-men when I was younger and I didnt realize the Villains actually had such cool backgrounds and logical explinations for the way they are. Compared to Catwomans crappy story. From the look of things now I'd say Ledger should be great as the Joker.

Posted by Oforia

This movie is going to be ****ing great. Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite directors.

Quoted post: Compared to Catwomans crappy story.

Actually, she has one of the most basic origin stories. Basically, she just wanted to be a criminal because she enjoyed the experience. The movie just took too many liberties with the character.

Posted by Nihilus

Yeah, they went a little crazy with the movie. The only good part was Halle Berry in the black leather.

Posted by Dexter

I thought the best part of Cabwoman was all the cheesy lines that were actually enjoyable. It had to be purposeful.

Posted by Crazy K

Ledger looks like a great Joker. I can't wait to see the film.

Posted by Dexter

Go watch the trailer guys. It will certainly get you hyped. Joker sounds great and from what little I see, looks great too. There's still a chance of Scarecrow returning, too, but with all the other material already in the film (Harvey/Two-Face), I don't see much of Scarecrow happening. We wouldn't want a Spider-Man 3 anyway.

Posted by Crazy K

[URL="http://www.iklipz.com/MovieDetail.aspx?MovieID=0dcf4aa5-6b75-48f3-a60a-2cecdb767098"]The Dark Knight[/URL]

I can't wait any longer. Ledger sounds great as the joker.

Posted by Dexter

I think I'll have nightmares of that card flying towards my face and right before it hits I'll suddenly wake up.

Fantatstic writing was included with the first and this is looking to outdo that.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Crazy K: [URL="http://www.iklipz.com/MovieDetail.aspx?MovieID=0dcf4aa5-6b75-48f3-a60a-2cecdb767098"]The Dark Knight[/URL]

I can't wait any longer. Ledger sounds great as the joker.

Yes he does. Oh man I am so pumped for this movie!

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Bebop: Mark Hamill does do the voice but he doesnt have the shape. Shame.

Dub over that ****.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Roger Smith: Dub over that ****.

Shut up

Posted by Roger Smith

Someone needs to dub over you.

Posted by Bebop

As unwitty as that was, its the wittiest thing you've ever posted.

Dubbing over with Hamils voice has been an idea that rised and fell as soon as people knew they were re-vamping the Batman films. If you cant see why its a stupid idea something is seriously wrong with you.