9 million Wiis in 2 months

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo slightly underestimated their own capabilities again.

Quoted post: [IMG]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2006/09/wii_main2_0501nodvd.jpg[/IMG][URL="http://briefing.com/"][COLOR=#0000ff]Briefing.com[/COLOR][/URL] reports (subscription only) that, according to UBS, 2 million Wii consoles were completed in Q3 (July-September) to support Nintendo's upcoming Q406 global console launch, beginning November 19th in North America. In addition, "at least 7 mln and potentially as high as 9 mln more units are in the build plan for 4Q06." The report continues, "this production ramp handily exeeds [sic] a publicly announced tgt for 6 mln units to ship by yearend"; however, Nintendo had previously [URL="http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/the-only-wii-post-youll-ever-need/"][COLOR=#0000ff]announced[/COLOR][/URL] plans to ship 6 million units by the end of their fiscal year (ending March 31, 2007) and only 4 million by the end of the calendar year. The language appears to indicate the possibility of building, if not shipping, as many as 11 million Wii consoles by the end of the calendar year!

[URL="http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/05/wii-production-exceeding-expectations/"]http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/05/wii-production-exceeding-expectations/[/URL]

- At least 9 million Wiis to be manufactured by the end of December (including the 2 million already made), possibly 11 million

- Could catch up with and overtake Xbox 360 in 2 months

- Owned

Posted by Moogs

Grr. I want to get one of these before Christmas, or even at Christmas, but i have to get a car this Christmas so I'm looking at a maybe January Febuary buy for me.

Posted by Ant

I'll be amazed if they could actually sell that many, that fast. Considering your average person/casual gamer doesn't know anything about the Wii right now.

Posted by Speedfreak

I highly doubt that few people know about it. Every single game store in the UK has a Wii E3/GC video playing and a pre-order offer, and Nintendo doesn't even do well in the UK usually. If game stores in the US aren't doing something similar then I'd be extremely surprised.

Posted by Hyper

Game stores in the US are all about appealing to HARDCORE PEOPLE WITH HARDCORE HALO SKILLZ.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

They definitely won't sell that many that fast, gotta agree with Ant on this. But still, that's a **** ton of Wiis and could only ensure they satisfy everyone who wants one.

Posted by Speedfreak

It a launch in a holiday period, it's an extremely appealing console with plenty of availability with a very low price. It might not sell out, but it will sell through those initial units very quickly.

In two months? I don't know. Could happen, but I'll definitely be surprised.

Posted by Speedfreak

There also won't be any PS3s? Demand for it is sure as hell greater than demand for 360 if you look at how well it's been selling and condsider the fact that most people are split between PS3 or 360 but will also get a Wii. I'm quite convinced that Nintendo will sell as many Wiis as they can make in it's first year. Wii is basically DS, but with a decent launch and a great followup.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I'm sure this is a stunt. They were manufacturing them back in September, and they only thought they'd have two million by November? Come on.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well if it is a stunt then I'm not complaining. Underpromising and over delivering is cool.

Rather than delaying your system for a year and a half? :)

Quoted post: There also won't be any PS3s? Demand for it is sure as hell greater than demand for 360 if you look at how well it's been selling and condsider the fact that most people are split between PS3 or 360 but will also get a Wii. I'm quite convinced that Nintendo will sell as many Wiis as they can make in it's first year. Wii is basically DS, but with a decent launch and a great followup.

I just don't think it'll happen. Nine million in sixty days is a lot. But it's not improbable.

Posted by Speedfreak

You're forgetting that it's not just the US and Europe buying them, it's Japan too. There are only 100,000 PS3s for Japan on launch, Wii is the only option, and Japan is Nintendo NUTS right now.

Yeah, I figure they'll sell out no problem down there. EU and US won't be any slouches either. But man, that's a lot. That's all I'm saying. I'll be happy as hell if they make it though. It's one hell of an accomplishment. I don't think anyone has ever done it before. Even five million would amaze me, actually.

Posted by Bebop

I think selling through all those units will be unlikely but the Wii will certainly sell well. Blame on the holiday season or the fanboys if you will.

Posted by Last Fog

I hope it doesn't sell out, that way I'll have a chance to get one after the holiday season if I choose to. But chances are I won't get it for a long while so it doesn't matter too much. Like once it has something good on it besides a bunch of ports and Zelda, which I'll just get on gamecube.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]I hope it doesn't sell out, that way I'll have a chance to get one after the holiday season if I choose to. But chances are I won't get it for a long while so it doesn't matter too much.

They're gonna make more after Christmas, moron.

Quoted post: Like once it has something good on it besides a bunch of ports and Zelda, which I'll just get on gamecube

Quoted post: [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#90ee90]This guy might say that all Wii's getting is ports, but I think he's quite wrong. Porting suggests changing absolutely nothing about the game, just a straight cash-in.
Wii isn't getting that, every single title on there takes advantage of the controller in some way, right off the bat providing something different to other versions. You wouldn't call a 360 game a port if it was remade completely with HD graphics and included full online mode, I don't think it's far to call these Wii titles "straight ports" either. Of course, some people are, and point at titles like NFS Carbon and Monster 4x4 as an example of how little effort developers are putting into Wii versions. I'd have to say that the list pretty much stops about there, for example:

Madden Wii is an entirely new game, built from the ground-up for Wii with an entirely new control scheme. Far Cry Vengeance will play better than any 360/PS3 FPS because of the controller, nevermind the fact that it has a new story and a world to play in, it's a totally custom version. Rayman is being built specifically for Wii and then being ported to other systems. GT Pro is a whole new title, not a port of the Gamecube version. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance actually looks much closer to the 360 version than the Xbox version (seriously), and has the benefit of the controller in that every move is accessible without any complicated button combos, the control system has had a lot of work put into it. Trauma Center, fair enough, is an enhanced remake of the DS version, but it'd be quite unfair to brand such an innovative title that makes such great use of the controller as a simple rushed port. Tony Hawk is completely unlike any other Tony Hawk game ever released, no ports there.

From looking at the full release list as it is now, I count 4 "ports" (and that's including Blazing Angels, which no one's seen anything of yet) out of the 20 announced so far. That's HARDLY what you could call a port-heavy launch line-up.[/COLOR][/FONT]

We should call the DHS.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: They're gonna make more after Christmas, moron.
How soon after Christmas, cause there's no way they're selling 9 or more million is two months.

And here we go with the controller again, I was gonna mention that in my last post, guessing someone (probably you) would bring it up. They're still ports. Madden by any controller is still Madden. When I say ports I mean a game that's been on one platform for awhile, brought to another. Its bull**** to say that well they added new features so its not a port. It's customary now to add something to most ports, otherwise no one would want them. Like RE4 on PS2, regardless of a few new weapons and costumes, it's a ****ing port.

...what.

Yeah, it's Madden. So? By that logic, NHL 2k7 is the same game as NHL 07.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Wings: Yeah, it's Madden. So? By that logic, NHL 2k7 is the same game as NHL 07.
It pretty much is, as far as I'm concerned. Hell if I could tell the difference. But thats not what I meant. I meant that Madden 07 is the same as Madden 07. Because, you know, it's the same game. The only difference is whether you want to move your thumbs or your whole wrist.

Precisely.

Quoted post: Yeah, it's Madden. So? By that logic, NHL 2k7 is the same game as NHL 07.

Madden 07 is Madden 07... NHL 2K7 and 07 play and are nothing alike. The only comparison is that it's a game of hockey. Even if the Wii game does control differently than the 360 game, it's still the same game. No matter what. And it's already been out for some time.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog] How soon after Christmas, cause there's no way they're selling 9 or more million is two months.

Oh, not for a good 2 years at least. They have to let their legions of trained gibbons rest for a bit.

Are you stupid? They're gonna keep producing Wiis right after the holiday season, all throughout the year.

[quote=Last Fog]And here we go with the controller again, I was gonna mention that in my last post, guessing someone (probably you) would bring it up. They're still ports. Madden by any controller is still Madden. When I say ports I mean a game that's been on one platform for awhile, brought to another. Its bull**** to say that well they added new features so its not a port. It's customary now to add something to most ports, otherwise no one would want them. Like RE4 on PS2, regardless of a few new weapons and costumes, it's a ****ing port.

All versions of Madden are ports of the original Genesis version because it's the same game just bumped to different systems with improvements.

Difference is you're acting like the ports on Wii are bad, as if they're straight ports with absolutely nothing added to them, like most of the ports the GC got from PS2. You're wrong, gameplay is vastly improved because of the controller and they all have extra features built into them. Even COD3, the most half-arsed port on the system is said to play as "an entirely different game", for the better.

Posted by Last Fog

You do realize that not everyone in the world is going to prefer the new controller. Just because something is new and different doesn't make it any better. Yeah, Madden uses the Wiimote, I get it. That doesnt mean ****. You can't say all these games will play better with the Wiimote. You haven't even used it yet. And if when you do your opinion stays, that won't speak for everyone. I honestly think the majority of games that will truly work well with it are those made for it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]I honestly think the majority of games that will truly work well with it are those made for it.

You're quite wrong, the majority of games that will work well are those that aren't made for it.

Everyone that's used it has preferred it. Sorry. :(

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: You're quite wrong, the majority of games that will work well are those that aren't made for it.So you're saying the ones that are made for it don't work well? Thats promising.

[quote]Everyone that's used it has preferred it. Sorry. :(
Oh really? Everyone? Thats a bold statement. Congrats on being able to speak for everyone. And if that is true, great, it means I'll like it. But until I use it I have my doubts.

Posted by Speedfreak

I may just ban you for your inability to understand sarcasm!:)

Yeah, even I would've caught that :(

Posted by Osic

9 million in 2 months? The Gamecube has only 21 million total. There is no way they will even sell half the 9 million in that period. Xbox 360 sold out, but there wasnt 8.5 million people who missed out at launch.

Althogh it would be nice to see Nintendo get off to a great start I dont see it happening with no mario, metriod or SBB. I see the Wii building as the DS has, limited sales at launch, then a "everyone game" comes out and everyone buys one.

Most people arnt early adoptors of technology, most like to actualy see what the product is and does before they buy it, and a poster on a wall cant possibly show what the Wii is cappable of.

The only way Nintendo are selling 9 million Wii's in 2 months is if Speadfreak buys most of them.

Posted by Dexter

That is true. Most people don't easily adapt to new technologies without first being exposed to them and getting used to them. I've met a few people who fear a change in gaming and classic methods of playing due to the innovations of the Wii. There are many who have years of experience with the regular controllers and don't wish to see them change anytime soon. The Wiimote scares them.

Posted by S

I just want to nun-chuck it into someone's head... it seems so much more appealing. But that doesn't mean I won't get it and try it, just an impulse at first glance.

Anyhow, I see it as possible that the Wii will sell so many, especially after Xbox 360's stunt with under stocking (Premeditated or not.). It seems like a logical move for them to overstock even. The only bad part about over stocking though, is that the first generation systems sometimes have major issues in their construction that are weeded out as time goes by.

Quoted post: most like to actualy see what the product is and does before they buy it,

Most people like to wait until the price is cut, you mean.

Posted by Bebop

I find it wierd people complain about the Wii's price. As far as I know older consoles were priced roughly the same.

A lot of people expected $200, so anything higher is too expensive.

The people actually expecting $200 (and not just hoping) were idiots, though. Less than $250 means $249.99.

...you're going to pull up a post proving I said it would be $200, aren't you?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Lunairetic: The only bad part about over stocking though, is that the first generation systems sometimes have major issues in their construction that are weeded out as time goes by.

As far as I know, Nintendo has never had that problem.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dexter: As far as I know, Nintendo has never had that problem.

Yeah, the ONLY time Nintendo had a major problem with the initial launch consoles was with the original Famicom back in 1983. They had to recall them because of overheating chips and stuff. Ever since then, Nintendo has pretty much had perfect launches in terms of working hardware.

Anyhow I believe that they COULD pull off at least half though. I mean look how everyone is going gangbusters with the pre-orders.

Posted by Dexter

Also, I knew a few people who were excited over getting a 360 when it was launched and the hype was up, but after short supplies they had to wait, and by the time they were able to get one their hype and excitment was gone, therefore they never even got one. :(

Yeah but for every person that did that, there was at least another one that bought it because they went into a shop and it was magically in stock, so grabbed it when they had the chance even though they didn't want it.

Quoted post: ...you're going to pull up a post proving I said it would be $200, aren't you?

Too lazy.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Wings: Yeah but for every person that did that, there was at least another one that bought it because they went into a shop and it was magically in stock, so grabbed it when they had the chance even though they didn't want it.

I don't know if that would equal the same amount, but that's a good point, nevertheless.