The Kelsey Grammar Sketch Show

Posted by 007 ninja

It premiers tonight. 24 fans would recognize Mary Lynn Rajskub, 24's Chloe is also in it. Is anyone going to watch this besides me? Does anyone know who Chloe/Mary Lynn Rajskub is? FIND OUT TONIGHT!

Posted by -Shadow-

I never was a big Kelsey Grammar fan, but he does bear an uncanny resemblance to my old 4th grade teacher.

Posted by Mixhael

I recognized Chloe from 24 and her role on this sketch show doesn't fit right.

The problem with the show is the laugh track. As standard Brittish sitcom-form dictates (this show originated in the U.K.), they add a loud and overbearing laugh track to the show that gives it an unauthentic and annoying feel. Every scene gets a laugh. Every sentence gets a huge laugh. Every small joke gets an even bigger laugh. Laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh. This is why shows like Arrested Development, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and on and on are a million times funnier. You don't feel obligated to laugh with an audience. Not only that, it's because not everything in the show is funny.

I know I mentioned British sitcoms, mainly because they REALLY overdo it, but American shows are guilty of it to. I'd say I've seen at least 25 episodes of Friends and each time I noticed the laughs were getting out of hand. Seinfeld is an overly funny show so it's easier to ignore, but even with that I wonder sometimes how funny it is to see Kramer barge in to Jerry's apartment for the 38423740892 time. I had a friend go to a taping of "That 70's Show" a while back and they actually instruct you as to when to laugh; "Even if you're not sure something is funny, laugh.".

I watched the Sketch Show since I enjoy the genre (SNL, In Living Color, Chappelle's Show, House of Buggin ;)), and it was irksome. The bits weren't that funny and the laughing never stopped. The sketch shows I mentioned all had various bombing moments or low laughs for bad jokes, but with Grammar's show everything was hilarious. No, it wasn't.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

there have been a few decent sketches, but most are standard and not innovative at all.

Posted by 007 ninja

Quoting Mixhael: I recognized Chloe from 24 and her role on this sketch show doesn't fit right.

I'm so happy she's back on 24.

Anyway, yeah, the laugh track did get annoying, but I found a lot of the shorter skits were pretty funny. Some of the longer skits were OK, at best. My favorite skits were the phobia party and the imaginary friend help club. But even if the show is cancelled, Kelsey Grammar won't have a hard time finding a new role.

Posted by Mixhael

"Bebop disagrees: When you said British Sitcoms overdo it, you must not have seen any British sitcoms."

It's so convenient for you to just derep me out of nowhere. How about replying to this thread with some proof to that statement you coward. No wait, nevermind. It's much easier for you to assume that just because I live in LA it means I havn't seen any Brittish sitcoms. BBC/PBS do AIR them over here in America, you know. I'll site some examples of this overdone laugh track I talk about:

As Time Goes By
Keeping Up Appearances
The Sketch Show (originally from Brittain)
Coupling
Father Ted
Da Ali G Show (aired in America WITHOUT the laugh track for obvious reasons)
The Benny Hill Show

I could name a few more, but there's not enough time. You derepped me as if you were personally offended, as if I didn't mention that the U.S. does it to a smaller extent. You can't honestly tell me that there isn't a difference in the laugh tracks between "Friends" or "Seinfeld" and "As Time Goes By" or "Keeping Up Appearances".

Posted by Burn

Yeah I recognized Chloe as well...I like her as an actress. I think I'll give this show some more time, it looks like it could have some solid potential.

Posted by eriksson22

I haven't been blown away, but I have been pleasantly surprised with this show. The skits are very witty and good wordplay jokes. I'm going to keep watching for sure.

Posted by RandomizeR

I've watched every episode so far and I like it. They do have good word jokes and some physical humor I supose. Overall I think it's worth your while.

Posted by eriksson22

Yeah, I didn't realize how much I was enjoying it until it wasn't on this week and I was disappointed.

Posted by 007 ninja

I haven't seen the show in two weeks. I've been busy -- anyone care to tell me if Kelsey Grammar makes more appearances than he did in the first few episodes?