Children of Men

Posted by Bebop

Awesome. Discuss.

Posted by Xenos

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

More information about it! :cookie:

Eh, I would go, but I am so tiiigghhttt on cash.

Posted by Dexter

I've been waiting for this one for a long time. I like dystopian thrillers. The Island was great and Dark City was interesting. Two great actors, interesting story, and Emmanuel Lubezki. I just watched Freedomland and Julianne Moore was rad. SO EMOTIONAL!

Doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in, Bebop. What's up with that?

Posted by Bebop

Gah what do you mean Dexter? What do you think I'm interested in :(

Posted by Dexter

I don't mean anything odd and I'm not sure what you're interested in. It just didn't come off to me as a movie you'd be interested in and I was curious as to what it is that got you interested in it. Was it just the story that sparked your interest or was it something else entirely?

Posted by Shin-Ra

It looks good, but the preview was soooo unintentionally hilarious. The second I heard lines to the effective of there is no future if there are no babies, my friend and I busted out laughing. We saw that preview before Black Dahliah which I recommend everyone avoid, unless you liked that crap movie Pearl Harbor which (like Black Dahlia) had nothing to do with the actual subject it's named after.

Anyway, I will be seeing this movie if only because it seems corny but it'll end up being good.

Posted by Perdition

This looks like a very good film. The trailer was a bit cheesy at first but then I saw the rest and thought "I have to see this". Plus, most new films on the IMDB tend to get six-ish ratings, but this one has an eight or so, which is a great sign.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Dexter: I don't mean anything odd and I'm not sure what you're interested in. It just didn't come off to me as a movie you'd be interested in and I was curious as to what it is that got you interested in it. Was it just the story that sparked your interest or was it something else entirely?

Well I did think the idea of women being inferitle was genuinely an interesting idea enough to see the film. I could forsee a dystopian setting before I had seen advertising campaigns. Dystopia is really appealing to me. And in the film it's done amazingly. In fact I would even go as far to say it does a better job than Bladerunner.

Posted by Dexter

Don't go that far without actually seeing the film first.

Posted by Bebop

I have seen Children on Me Dexter. It's on general release in the UK. What?

Posted by Dexter

Oh, really? That's cool. I think we have to wait about 2 more months for its release here. That's a longer wait than we have for the Wii. I wish I could discuss it with you, but it looks like I'll have to bump this thread later. :(

Posted by Bebop

I didn't know it wasnt out in America until after I made this thread. I learnt about it a few days ago. Which is wierd really. I'm sure it's to do with being filmed on location in London. Maybe it's a British film? Although the cast line up suggests Hollywood. I'll investigate.

Posted by Dexter

Hey since you've seen it, could you tell me if Sigur Rós's music is heard a lot during the film? I know they had their music in the trailer and I'm curious as to how much it is incorporated in the film. I'm not sure if you even know Sigur Rós, but they had their own little dystopian music video with "Untitled 1." I suggest you check them out. You might really like them. Beautiful music, really.

Posted by Bebop

Sorry Dexter I have never heard of that group. And even if I listen to them know I won't remember what music was played during the film. What i can say is that the music matched. But I don't think that helps. Try finding the orignal sound track for the film. [url]www.imdb.com[/url] should help

Posted by Crazy K

I been waiting for this film for some time now. I can't wait for it's release in December. :)

Sucks that it's limited release though. :(

I'll still be seing this film.

Posted by Arwon

It's about time someone addressed the coming demographic crisis in film. The fact that it's within the context of a visually awesome and utterly plausible near-future sci-fi/political dystopia is a massive bonus too. Very keen to see it when it opens here (and by "here" I mean across the road from my flat) next week.

Posted by Arwon

This was at least a 9.5. Thoroughly brilliant.

There's a lot to rave about. One thing I really liked was the way exposition was handled all the way through... no voice-overs taking you out of the film, lucid details given within the context of the movie. I always like piecing together backstory and context through referenced details in news-casts and newspaper articles and so forth, and it was done so brilliantly here.

The overall feel of the movie was absolutely, chillingly believable, extrapolated from present-day concerns. Some really resonant images, notably relating to the perscution of refugees (and foreigners in general) taken to sadly believable extremes with the cages, busses and forlorn elderly. The entrance to Bexhill was Guantanimo Bay, Abu Graib and Auschwitz in equal measure, and absolutely chilling.

There were a lot of really nice touches throughout the film. I loved the random Pink Floyd reference in the Ark of Art scene. Actually that whole scene was awesome--I loved the image of Guernica hanging in the dining room. So brilliantly appropriate a choice. The pathetically tragic and wrong-headed terrorists in their country house reminded me of the French Resistance. The different bands of refugees marching around during the uprising--one chanting "Allah Akhbar" while another group on another street waved a French flag and sang songs. The way that the movie seemed obsessed with showing us that elderly Germans in particular were getting deported... the occasional moment of dark humour.

Ummm... soundtrack worked really well, though I don't think Sigur Ros was in it despite being in the trailer. The actors all seemed to work, Caine was a highlight, Moore died shockingly early but was excellent. Kee (I don't remember her actor name) was weirdly unpleasant for some reason, but I guess she was just scared and overwhelmed.

All the way through, as the movie turned from bleak dystopia into full-on thriller, it never once got boring. The cinematography was part of this... every scene was densely packed with rich visuals and there was always something to look at. Pretty much every line of dialogue was weighty and interesting and worth hearing, never once did a scene drag on or feel unnecessary which is quite a feat given the subject matter. I mean, for example the school scene could have easily become a flat point in the film, but it hung around just long enough to make impact it needed to do... making explicit the link between the lack of children, the onset of despair, and the beginning of the collapse. And this became essential as more and more people ended up sacrificing themselves completely for this child, this symbol of hope. Such a scene of pure exposition could easily have gone on too long and dragged a bit, but no, it was another expertly handled aspect of the film, and strengthened it, if anything.

The ending. Oh my ***, the climactic scene, the scale of it, the length, it was almost impossible. Part Saving Private Ryan, part Chechnya news footage, part Warsaw Uprising. Saving Private Ryan in scale, Full Metal Jacket in grittiness, and the entire scene shown through the perspective of Owen just running around in the middle of it, terrified and trying not to get killed. Then the sequence with the escape from the Fishes and Soldiers as they stare in disbelief was mind-blowingly beautiful.

It wasn't quite perfect, if anything it could have been longer to spend a little more time on some of the really weighty issues it raised but mainly used as background, some characters could have gotten more screen time, and a little bit more exposition of certain things wouldn't have gone astray. I mean I'd liked to have known a little more about the Human Project, for example. But over all, it was smart, exciting, interesting, chillingly believable, and, despite the grime and the dirt, even beautiful.

Posted by Bebop

Alot of reviews have stated that one of the worst things about the film is that you dont learn much about how the world actually works e.g. the Human project and the government.

What you and the critics seem to be forgetting is that its irrelevant. It reflects the mood of a race accepting its fate and simply not caring. No one living in the film really cares. They just watch the clock. So should the audience.

Posted by Arwon

True enough, and that was a stylistic point that sets it apart from a lot of other dystopian movies, aimed at sucking you into the movie.

I loved the film anyway, but all I'm saying is I'd have liked it to be longer (cos then there would have been more movie!) and spent more time on some things. They could have found a way to slip at least a few sentences about the Human Project in at some point without breaking the style of handling exposition within the context of the story. All I really got was that it was a bunch of scientists hanging out in the Azores... and then I was thinking "why doesn't some government, like the British blackshirts, just go take over everything?"

I'm a nerd, I like exposition, the more juicy background details to mull over, the happier I am. One of the best things about this movie was the fact that it was an emotionally powerful thriller and a weighty and intelligent movie. More of either thing wouldn't have gone astray.

Random thing: I was also hoping Bexhill was not on the coast in the present day and that this was a subtle global warming refernece, but apparently it is a coastal town so poo to that.

Posted by Bebop

Gah but but you're not supposed to know anything about the state of the world! It adds to to it! :D:D:D Fair enough I would like to know more about the Human Project but its as mysterious to the characters as it is to the audience. Ha ha if you annoyed at not knowing the answers theres a french film called Innocene you should not check out. Its about school girls waking up in coffins in a bizzare school where children arent allowed out of the grounds. Thats also a cool movie.

Posted by Bebop

Dexter you seen this yet?

Posted by Sean Fury

Awesome movie is awesome. But seriously, I really liked it, first good movie I've seen in a long time.

How long has this been out? Because I saw it in theaters yesterday and this thread was started over 2 months ago.

Posted by Crazy K

Its been out since December 25th on limited release. Last Friday I believe it was released everywhere.

Posted by Arwon

Shockingly enough, sometimes movies made in other countries get released there before they are released in America.

Posted by Bebop

Children of Men came out on DVD in UK last Monday. I might pick it up.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Bebop: Dexter you seen this yet?

Not yet. I might not catch it in theaters, sadly. As soon as I see it though I'll get back to this thread and give my thoughts, for sure. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to catch it this weekend.

Posted by Dexter

Came out today. I had high hopes and they were met. What a treat that was. That long scene in the car was probably the most rewarding I've seen from 2006. I made sure to watch that particular scene a few times over and I was glad to see they gave some details on it in the bonus features. I was probably better off seeing this on DVD instead of the theater because there were several parts I went back to after the film was complete and I had fun with the bonus material. There was no Sigur Ros like in the trailer. I thought it would have been fitting.

I've been watching tons of sci-fi films lately so I saw this at a good time. Odd film, since I found it bland in color, to the extreme, yet felt it was beautifully done. It caught the right mixture, I suppose. Like Martin Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead, it was a mixture of heaven and hell. Sometimes I got terribly distracted at what seemed like obvious left-wing propaganda. Maybe they wanted us focused on that to a degree, but I tried to ignore it.

It felt strangely realistic but when the girl said she was a virgin, I believed it. The unanswered questions seemed to add up quickly but I didn't find myself too bothered with that and I assumed that they didn't know much of the answers themselves.

Need to see more dystopian films.

Posted by netman

I'm gonna watch it tonight, and am pretty pumped :cool:

yeah, I bumped this thread to talk about it.

Posted by Dexter

Worth the bump. Don't forget to share your thoughts. There was no Sigur Ros in the film. :(

Posted by netman

Don't worry Dexy, thoughts will be shared!

Posted by G-Sides

i didn't like the ending so much :( although it left a lot to the watcher to fill in on his own, i just felt UNSATISFIED
crazy good film, though

Posted by Dexter

See, I didn't care for an explanation or to discover if the human project was real or not, so the ending didn't bother me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, the ending was left up to the viewer for a reason, mainly because the director didn't like how recent movies explain every little detail to the audience. Good stuff all the way through.

Posted by Dexter

I like it when details are explained, especially if they are important. The reason I was ok with no explanation in this case is because the characters themselves didn't know. It was a mystery to them, why the girls were infertile and if there really was a human project, so I was fine with it being a mystery to me, too. It put me in the right place.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Right. If something needs to be explained, explain it. We're not expected to get everything since, most movies, have nothing to do with reality or common knowledge. But quite a few really do over-explain, which occasionally takes away bit of the fun of watching a movie.

Posted by S0LID 5NAKE

great flick saw it a while back. not too many critics liked it because of no character developement. but what it really was, it was a depiction. it was a depiction of a realistic armageddon. the movie was great it had a great story, it was shot and edited masterfully. definitely enjoyed it. might even look into reading the book

Posted by Bebop

My friend hated the end for not telling the audience what would happen. I love open endings. It's a shame people need to experience a lovely dubble happy endind to fell any satisfaction for a film.