EA wants videogames in the school

Posted by cas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5398230.stm

for learning. Teachers are in agreement. As are the students.

I think its a good idea. If it is more of a game, then maybe kids will try harder for a high score, instead of just a pass. But maybe chinese gold farmers might sell some grades to the kids at discount prices, gamefaqs will have walkthroughs for how to pass the test with a perfect score and actual videogames will not get played because the kids are played out on the bits and bytes and think of it as homework.

What i meant to say was "discuss"

Posted by Kit

A few years ago, I saw an article on the news about a school in Manchester which had Computer Games as an extra curriculem activity. Reminded me of that. I'm not actually sure how this would work, but it sounds alright.

Posted by muffla

WTF did anybody notice that olny 62% of thie kids want this to happen? they must be jack tompsons kids. any way i didnt get a chance to read the whole thing does anby body know what kind of games they are talking about?

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting muffla: WTF did anybody notice that olny 62% of thie kids want this to happen? they must be jack tompsons kids.

Or girls.

Posted by Iris

I think it's healthy and encouraging if they're competing with eachother to do the best academically. Also, teaching kids about game developing would be helpful to the many who are going to pursue a career in it. It's a great idea if they keep it mostly educational.

[quote]while 30% of students believed that playing games could lead to increased violence and aggression.

What's wrong with kids these days?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Well, they could. But so does rugby.

But guess what? These games are going to be made deliberately for learning, and they suck. I say give every school half a dozen DSes and copies of Brain Training soldered in.

Posted by Crazy K

It would be nice, but it would be boring because educational games usually suck.

Anyways during my 7t and 8th grade we got to have a "fun" Day, which we could bring video games. I brought in WWE SD HCTP and everyone had a lot of fun.

I think a class for video games would be far more cooler, but if that kind of thing were to occur it would probably be more so on the teaching of making video games rather playing them. But really out schools have had "Educational games" since kindergarten. Maybe they can improve upon them and make cooler and more enjoyable "Educational games".

Posted by Zeta

Smash Bros. tournaments should be in schools. To hell with high school football.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Smash Bros. tournaments should be in schools. To hell with high school football.

Best idea I've heard in years. Too bad my time in school has been over for just as many years.

Posted by Fate

I heard of some students working out to games before. Like running on a treadmill with a screen in front of them. That sounds like fun.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Is that really even a game?

Posted by The Judge

It shows you running across an endless desert. The hope is that there is an end.

Posted by Stalolin

EA? oh wow, we'll get like sports games where you'll have to tackle the correct answer or a baseball game with the U.S. presidents.

I can see how this would encourage a bit more competition provided the games are made well (which they won't be, educational games are trash), otherwise you wouldn't see many people playing them. And if you do get something enjoyable then you're going to breed more fat people with excuses like "I'm playing my homework and I have to get the high score. You care about my grades, don't you?"

this just seems like a bad idea altogether

And after reading through the whole article I believe that EA just wants to sell more copies of Sims 2 to minors.

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Zeta: Smash Bros. tournaments should be in schools. To hell with high school football.

Actually, yeah, my school has a "Game Club."

During lunchtime, you can go in the certain room they're hosting it in, and enter to compete in a Super Smash Brothers Melee tournament. The winner gets prize money, and stuff. It's pretty awesome, but I never joined because I've never played Smash Bros.

Posted by Stalolin

My school's got these "Tech parties". They're basically big LAN parties. I'd play stuff like CS and own everyone if my school district allowed M rated games.

Of course, they have a Smash Bros. tourney, last one I went to was poorly planned, I didn't even get to play. HOWEVER, I'm sharpning my skills for the next one.

I don't mind if they can incorporate games outside of the curriculum like my school does, but I don't like the concept of them in school.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I used to bring my GameCube in and have Smash Bros. tournaments in my computing class at A level.