Can somebody please explain?

Posted by NeXidala

Well, I was watching MTV while I was trying to fall asleep, when all of a sudden a re-run of TRL begins. Normally I would have immediately changed it, but something caught my eye. As I watched into a couple minutes of it they annouced the new Panic! At the Disco music video for "Lying is the most fun a girl can do without taking her clothes off". Interested by what they had come up with now, I sat there and watched the whole music video. I have to say the only part I THINK I understood was the last 10 seconds. I didn't understand ANY part of the video. It was completely unrelated to the song and had no specific meaning to me. So my question to you is.......
-Does anyone think they can watch through the video (link provided) and tell me what they think the meaning is?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k50rVNNARqY

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm assuming this is just a "see what you think" instead of a "google the song lyrics and tell me what they are because I'm too lazy" type post.

Posted by NeXidala

First of all, I understand the song just fine. I've heard it many times before and understand what it means. What I don't understand is the MUSIC VIDEO. Did you even take a chance to see it?
I doubt you even read my whole post.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and it said "assuming"....Wow, just take some time and read my post if you want to contribute to this thread instead of "assuming" what's wrong.

MKAY!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I missed the last sentence in which you said the video had nothign to do with the song. Get off my nuts, dramaqueen.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

and for the record, MTV, Panic, and therefore, YOU, suck a huge donkey dick

Posted by NeXidala

Wow, why all the hostility? I'm asking a question that has nothing to do with my music preferences. If anything you are the drama queen who is way out of place trying to curse me out over something stupid. Just leave if you can't contribute.

Posted by Noir

My theory is, with emo bands, both the song title AND the music videos have nothing to do with the actual song itself. Usually. (I dont really listen to that much emo, but such has been the case so far).

Posted by Shade

Their videos never make an sense. 'Tis truth.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I just watched it. It has nothing to do with the song. I would try to make sense of it and sit in my white tower writing a thesis about the secret meanings and the motifs and symbolism, but frankly there are none. It was done to be weird, and to try to give it more depth and meaning than that is giving the artists more credit than they're due. There, I answered your dumb question. Read some literature if you want something deep, don't listen to shitty bands.

Posted by Linkman

..darn, for a minute I thought we'd have a thread about Panic! At The Disco that didn't consist of a post saying they suck. OH WELL!

Quoting Shade: Their videos never make an sense. 'Tis truth.

The video for I Write Sins Not Tragedies made perfect sense.

Anyway, the video. I'm pretty sure the water in the tanks on their heads is supposed to represent love. So without it, they're like a fish out of water, useless, dead; "miserable" maybe a better word. The girl who supposedly left her lover for someone she thought was better, as the lyrics point out, follows a trail of water to find her old boyfriend with no love (water), therefore miserable. She starts to remember all the fun times they had together, and realizes that she made a mistake. So she then runs out of love (water), and becomes just like her old boyfriend, miserable. SO, the people come, dump them in the ocean (which is full of water) so they can live happily ever after just like they used to! The End.

Now excuse me while I go puke.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

if I were to pretend that it had a meaning, I would think that the fish tanks would separate people. Love isn't supposed to be something that separates people. The song's about lust.

Posted by NeXidala

Ok so let me get this straight.

The fish tanks represent love. Without their fish tanks they are left miserable and lifeless. So when the girl sees her old boyfriend without love she decides to join him. They are then taken to the "recieving hospital" where they are placed in the water to rejoice in everlasting love....?

Posted by Linkman

Pretty much, yeah.

Apparently what it's true meaning is was a huge deal.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

i know absolutely nothing about this band, but if you read the 1000+ comments on the video link you posted, you'd see a lively discussion regarding this video.

bj for the win

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting rivercitytecmo: i know absolutely nothing about this band, but if you read the 1000+ comments on the video link you posted, you'd see a lively discussion regarding this video.

bj for the win

Well, I tried reading through the comments and by what I saw in the first 30 or so I noticed most of them would consist of "OMG IT ROCKED!" or "Love the song, hate the video because I didn't understand it" Plus, I rather not read through the 1000+ comments.

Why even post if you know nothing of the band and didn't even take time to see the video? It's an easy concept people.

See the video. Post what you think it means.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

#1 - the purpose of the video was because P!ATD was tired of people just liking them for their looks thus the weird fishtanks on their heads. they wanted this video to just all about their music and not how sexy they are.

#2 - Just a thought... the tanks were holding goldfish (I think), which are fresh-water fish, thus the people were living in fresh water. So how would dumping them in salt water save them? Wouldn't that just kill them? Just a thought.

#3 - I'm pretty sure the people wear the fishtanks on their heads because they are supposed to be fish themselves. When they die, they are released into the ocean and they live again. Very strange...

from the front page of the video comments. bj was right, you're just lazy and want a condensed version of that 1000+ comments page.

edit: just so you don't cry about me not doing what you asked, i watched the video. it means that panic at the disco is gay.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting NeXidala:
Why even post if you know nothing of the band and didn't even take time to see the video? It's an easy concept people.

Because it's fun to mock bands that suck and make up pretentiously long and obnoxious song names.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Raptor making fun of someone for being pretentious? Oh lawd.

Even if the video did mean something, it was pretty stupid, and the song sucks nuts anyways. Its got like one verse and then it just repeast itself. AWESOME DEEP MEANINGFUL ARTISTRY GUYS.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I will admit, that song is stuck in my head fierce. That and the catchy, "Walking with the ghost" by Tegen and Sara. . . it has like two sentences the entire song! WTF

Posted by Killer Jordo

Actually I saw the video after I heard the song. It's a good song. But the video is messed up. It's probably some 'deeper meaning' thing that no one but the director will ever know.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

or it's easily dissected by people on the youtube comments thing who are obviously retards.