Talk about originality

Posted by Klarth

You might have heard of a recent PSP game called Work Time Fun (or WTF for short). In it, short five-second microgames are fired at you and you have to complete them one-by-one until you are knocked out. Sound familiar? Yep, it's a Warioware clone for PSP.

Well, now we have something available called The Aha Experience.

An eccentric Japanese professor guides you through several different sets of b brain-stimulating challenges, and rates you on your performance thus and assesses your skills in the relevant areas. Deja vu again? Yes! It's a ****ing Brain Age ripoff.

Good christ.

Posted by Zeta

Sony thought of these 10 years before WarioWare came out.

liek, srsly.

Posted by Apathetic

Wow, thats lame. You think sony could try to make more out of this game :|

Posted by Klarth

Posted by Arcadios

Wonder what's their inspiration.
O.o;

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting Arcadios: Wonder what's their inspiration.
O.o;

Thats actually a really good question. Like is this supposed to be their trump card or something?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Apathetic: Like is this supposed to be their trump card or something?

Nah, they'll make some game called Fortresston: Photo of Decay, or some faggotry like that.

Or PSPuppies.

Posted by maian

Why is Nintendo always stealing Sony's great ideas :mad::mad::chainsaw:

Posted by Zeta

Because it's Nintendo.

Hey guys, Sony thought up Metroid before Nintendo, so I'm gonna start worshipping Sony now, k?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Zeta: Or PSPuppies.

I'd like to introduce you to "The Dog Happy Life".

Posted by Breakman

hay guys did u no about the ps3 wireless controller that was introdced months after the wiimote and now suddenly m onths after the wii virtual console was revealed ps3's gonna have a virtual console too!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, psp's starting to get some really great games, like Megaman Powered Up, that Ghouls and Ghosts remake and some Gradius game I saw that looked very great, as well as soem Final Fantasy stuff etc., but really, a lot of this stuff is starting to get pathetically ... well, pathetic.

Posted by Arcadios

Wow.

Posted by Bebop

Are you sure Sony is making these games? If not it's not Sony 'stealing ideas' but developers reaslising Nintendo knows where the money is.

Posted by Cruxis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]If we are all going indept with such matters, then I must mention the other 2000 Nintendo titles that mimic Classic Atari Lynx Games. The truth of the matter is without licensing, Information is free. If franchises didnt steal ideas from each other, there would be no reason for them to improve there titles. Why is Final Fantasy so popular? Simple. With every title they release, you can beat there will be 50 more titles released afterwards that try to produce a better story while mimicing the graphics and simulair Gameplay Elements. So the next time you complain about another nock-off title, remember. It is those generic spin-offs that inspire the predocessor to make improvements in the sequel.[/FONT]

Posted by s0ul

Cruxis, that was the dumbest thing anyone's ever said ever. If you honestly can't see how improvement in RPG production is different from this crap I suggest you leave forever.

Posted by marapets

ok fine then im leaving humph!!

Posted by Cruxis

[quote=s0ul]Cruxis, that was the dumbest thing anyone's ever said ever. If you honestly can't see how improvement in RPG production is different from this crap I suggest you leave forever.

YES, I DO see a difference. I also agree that stealing a puzzle game or other obvious things like that is wrong. But think of it this way, although it was wrong of company's to steal blaten ideas like that, they are infact in the same way doing somthing good. Although I for one (being a artist, writer and musician) have always had the strong belief that once sombody creates somthing special, they should have the security of knowing it will not be ripped off and duplicated. Many copyright and Licensing laws are around in various industries to do just this. But as we also know Stealing isnt always a bad thing (take robin hood for example). there are many people out there who honestly cant afford a PSP or what ever expensive system. When someone creates a hit game for one Particular system (usually the most popular and expensive machine at the time), there are often alot people out there who may want to own that particular game but cannot afford to purchase the system it was released on, so it is a good thing when somone else (legally) borrows the idea and creates a affordable mockup on a cheaper system so that a poor demographic may be more likely to own it. Infact, a lot of low budget games targeted to the poorer audiences are nock-offs of the hotter titles

Posted by Klarth

Dude, you're missing the point here. Your reasoning makes about as much sense as saying every single FPS out there is a Wolfenstein 3D ripoff. Also, the "well maybe people can't afford the system x game is on" argument REALLY doesn't work considering a PSP costs a ****load more than a DS, and the PSP "ports" of these games aren't budget releases - the DS versions, however are.

You are in the wrong. There is a substantial divide between simple inspiration and overt theft of ideas.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Two words: Incredible Crisis.

Posted by Klarth

I don't understand.

The precursor to Wario Ware. On PS1.

Posted by Kit

There's also Bishi Bashi Special for PS1 too, which is similar.

Posted by Klarth

Huh. Okay.

I've never heard of it.

Posted by Bebop

Same never heard of it. But I'm interested now.

Posted by Fate

So what was this thread about again? Yeah.

Posted by Klarth

You can stop the whole self-righteous against-the-grain defense **** now, you know?

Posted by Fate

And you can stop the anti-Sony brigade. It's better if you actually find stuff wrong than just thinking things are wrong, like boxes and game ideas.

Posted by Klarth

One potentially-nicked idea six years ago versus many RECENT "inspirations", ethical ****ups and marketing flaws. Huh.

I'm showing bias not out of loyalty or hatred, but purely out of common sense. You're honestly being unreasonably thick by actually defending all the crap that's been flying around lately.

Posted by s0ul

If whatever game Wings mentioned that I'd never heard of is actually as similar to Wario Ware and it seems as apparent that Wario Ware was a rip-off of it as this ****, then I will gladly say "gaaaay." But these games... that shot actually said "brain age" on it. This is like the third time I've gone to Klarth on AIM and thought he was joking about some **** Sony pulled. It took him several minutes to convince me this was real.

Yeah, Incredible Crisis is not really like Wario Ware, but it's the first game I know of that took the microgame concept into its own. Of course, Nintendo then took the concept further and made it the standard (or rather, another company did and Nintendo said 'oh wow, we want to shove Wario into that'), but that happens with everything.

If you're going to talk about cash-ins based on Nintendo's IPs, flip through the Argos catalogue and see the touch-screen based Brain Trainer.

Posted by Speedfreak

Fate: Stop being such a stupid fucking fangirl.

No one's claiming that WarioWare spanwed the idea of a game composed entirely of minigames, and Incredible Crisis certainly wasn't the first.

1) Mario Party came out the year before Incredible Crisis and had double the amount of minigames.

2) Incredible Crisis is composed of minigames, not microgames (of which WarioWare has hundreds). If it were made of microgames then the entire game would be one and a half minutes long.

3) This PSP game is a ripoff of WarioWare because it's a few hundred (I don't know how many, so I'll be generous) microgames with silly themes that are all extremely simple to complete, something which hadn't been done before WarioWare and not done since without being such a blatent ripoff.

4) We've been posting what's wrong with Sony these past few months. Not things that are our own opinion, but actual actions by Sony badly-received by it's own fans.

Posted by Kit

BB isn't completely like it either, mainly because the games range in time. Some games last up to 30 seconds, depending on what type of game it is. But it does have the whole Microgame concept.
It has two versions with the CD. Super Bishi Bashi and Hyper Bishi Bashi. The Hyper version can be found in Arcades. I've never seen a Super in an Arcade, though.

Do you actually know anything about the development of Wario Ware, Adam? Shut your word hole.

Posted by Speedfreak

F[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck does that have to do with it? Nintendo were making minigame-based games before whichever developer made incredible Crisis.

It's not like I have a problem with inspiriation being drawn from games, pretty much every 3D adventure/platformer game ever made since Mario 64 and OoT have drawn inspiration from those two. But there's a massive difference between taking inspiration and being a total, utter ripoff. You think it's a coincidence that this minigame title that bears an extremely strong resemblence to WarioWare has appeared right after the rest of these ripoffs? Wake up.

Posted by Klarth

Another interesting note:

PSP has two Made In Wario clones. The other one's called Hot PXL, and it's geared towards "uberle3t h1ph0p garage 00rban kvlture".

There was something called PIQ on it before Brain Training, I seem to remember.

Posted by Klarth

Brain Age came out in May 2005. PQ came out in January 2006.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Who is publishing this shit?

Quoting Klarth: Brain Age came out in May 2005. PQ came out in January 2006.

Not in England.

Posted by Speedfreak

Right, because how original your idea is is based entirely on when the last territory on the release list gets it. What?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Speedfreak: We've been posting what's wrong with Sony these past few months. Not things that are our own opinion, but actual actions by Sony badly-received by it's own fans.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Which this game doesn't fit under. Sony's fans aren't the ones complaining about WTF being a rip-off of Wario Ware.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

...Exactly.

Your point being... What?

Posted by GameMiestro

I'd rather have them make a mediocre clone of a great DS game then a bad port of a mediocre PS2 game.

Posted by Fate

That's not the point. Ideas being shared/stolen etc. is the point.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]That's not the point. Ideas being shared/stolen etc. is the point.[/COLOR]

Well, what else is there to say about it other than "so long, and no thanks for all the clones"?

Posted by Cruxis

[quote=Klarth]Dude, you're missing the point here. Your reasoning makes about as much sense as saying every single FPS out there is a Wolfenstein 3D ripoff. Also, the "well maybe people can't afford the system x game is on" argument REALLY doesn't work considering a PSP costs a ****load more than a DS, and the PSP "ports" of these games aren't budget releases - the DS versions, however are.

You are in the wrong. There is a substantial divide between simple inspiration and overt theft of ideas.

I never thought of it like that...

Posted by Klarth

Obviously.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I never thought of it like that...

You mean the entire point behind this whole thing? Huh.

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Which this game doesn't fit under. Sony's fans aren't the ones complaining about WTF being a rip-off of Wario Ware.[/COLOR]

Are they complaining of anything? I really wouldnt know anything specific but im sure theres tons.

Posted by brownoystercult

I don't understand why it has to be "original". Sony didn't make the game, it's just on their handheld. So what? Get over it, if the game was better than Wario Ware, that'd be another story.

The "mini"-games aren't really mini-games either. They're quite long.

Anyway, I hear the game sucks. "HOT PXL" looks a lot more promising.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/puzzle/hotpxl/index.html?q=hot%20pxl

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=brownoystercult]I don't understand why it has to be "original".[URL="http://www.gamespot.com/psp/puzzle/hotpxl/index.html?q=hot%20pxl"][/URL]

There was a time when a game had to be original to be worth playing. Many gamers are still stuck in that mindset, whether you understand it or not.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I don't understand why it has to be "original".

It's not that they aren't original, rather, they're nearly direct copies of huge Nintendo games. Thar be a difference.

Posted by GameMiestro

If Wario Ware got released after Work Time Fun, I probably would not get mad at all at Nintendo.

Mainly cause Wario Ware is just a better game.

That's the thing. Everybody complains about everybody doing rip-offs. The difference is that while a lot of people take an idea someone has had and copy it to get money off the back of it, Nintendo more often than not try to eliminate the flaws and make a better game for it.

Posted by GameMiestro

Yet, I would really love it if someone made a copy of Metal Gear Solid, GTA or Tekken and put it on the DS. Even if it was a bad game, I would still probably get it. Maybe something similar going through some PSP owners heads right now...

That's a ridiculous idea and just proves you didn't understand a word I said.

Posted by GameMiestro

It's a different perspective on the same idea. Why would make "Work Time Fun"? Because people are going to buy it. Why are people going to buy it? Because it looks fun on the DS, so people logically figure that it's going to be fun on the PSP.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=brownoystercult]Sony didn't make the game, it's just on their handheld. So what?
When did I say Sony developed these games?