Assassin's Creed

Posted by Bebop

Gameplay and graphics look amazing.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=wmv&id=13658

The thing that bums me out is the death screen at the end. There's a rumour that it's all a VR experience for someone. The screen seems to confirm this with a doctor looking over you saying "I was worried" and levels described as "memories" where to select them you "explore you genetic memories". Gah way to ruin a would be great game with a ****ty story.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Already a thread on this. But yeah, that's exactly what it is:

Quoted post: In the June 2006 issue of Game Informer, it was revealed that the player is actually a far-future descendant of Altair who is looking back on his ancestor's exploits. The game is experienced through genetic memory, and the game actually becomes more defined and easier as this descendant remembers more about his ancestor. The 'computer offline' message may be a computer that is decoding these memories, and death in the memory is some kind of glitch in the system. This is consistent with this particular design team, as in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, death was interpreted as a mistake in the Prince of Persia's recounting of his story to Farah. In an Xbox 360 gameplay demo at X06, a screen appears with the words 'memories /01' in the center with "hard drive" on the left and "options" on the right after the character dies.

Apparently the next two sequels, or at least one, will take place in the future.

Posted by Bebop

Oh. I didnt know it was oiffical it had a crap story. :(

How is that crap? I think it's far more interesting, personally. Plus, how much of that will really play into the game? It will obviously be referenced, but it seems like Altair's story is first and foremost. It's just a story within a story. Much like Prince of Persia.

Posted by Bebop

I think it's crap because I think simpl being an assassin is more interesting than some VR crap.

But you ARE an assassin. In that you're living the life of one and experiencing his story... through a VR program that's using genetic memory to tell it. I don't see a problem with that.

Posted by Bebop

But you're not THAT assassin. The VR thing just seems like a daft way to explain 'dying'. It's ruined the game for me. I'm going to go listen to Coldplay and paint now.

Fair enough, I can't argue your opinion. But hey, at least it's better than "Oops, you died... uh, just start back at the last checkpoint." I would prefer a "glitch" than no explanation at all. But that's me.

Posted by Bebop

That would make sense in a Matrix or Tron game or something. It doenst work here. Simply dying has been an acceptable explanation in games ever since they began. I don't see why Creed needs to be different.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Because there's an awful lot of things in games that are stupid as hell and still carry on. Reloading in FPS games, for example.

I like this method of doing things. I also really liked the Prince of Persia voiceovers, as if it was all a story - "wait, no, that's not how it happened. Let me start over."

You never know, after you complete all the levels, after seeing what your ancestor could do, you then become an assassin yourself.

The most impressive thing I've seen so far is the parkour-based gameplay. Not only is this awesome, it's actually a really faithful representation of the discipline from what I've seen so far, and it makes perfect sense that an assassin would use something similar. The crowd's reaction is also spot on.

And don't even get me started on social stealth.

Posted by Bebop

I prefer the POP voice over story thing than "lol it's vr"

They're the exact same thing.

Posted by Bebop

No. One's a guy telling you a story. One is the matrix.

It still works out to be the same gameplay mechanic, dude.

Posted by Bebop

I'm not talking about gameply. I'm talking about story. I thought this was pretty clear. Actually maybe my first post was vauge where I said how great the gameplay is but the story sucks, but surely my other posts make up for it.
Dude.

Okay. So what's the difference between a dude telling a story who you never see, and the story unfolding through latent memories?

Posted by Bebop

Because they are different stories. One is good the other is crap. Whats the difference between the same story being told by a dinosaur or a goth? The dinosaur one is better because it's a dinosaur and not a faggy goth.

VR is goth.

Well, you're clearly just arguing for the sake of being an idiot at this point. Because Wings is right, they're the exact same thing.

Plus, just dying and starting over has never been acceptable. It's just developers have never really bothered to explain it. Ubi's done it before, and they're trying it again. Why? Because it works and isn't completely lame.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Well, you're clearly just arguing for the sake of being an idiot at this point. Because Wings is right, they're the exact same thing.

Plus, just dying and starting over has never been acceptable. It's just developers have never really bothered to explain it. Ubi's done it before, and they're trying it again. Why? Because it works and isn't completely lame.

Being told a story and 'experiencing' it in VR is not the same. I can't understand how you think any different.

It has been acceptable in games. Die in Hitman you start over. Fall down a hole in mario you start over. It may have worked for POP but the VR thing seems gay.

Quoted post: Being told a story and 'experiencing' it in VR is not the same. I can't understand how you think any different.

no, there's no difference. Essentially, they're both telling you a story. You experience the story in both games by actually playing it. The only difference I see is that, personally, I would rather "'experience'" it than have it "told" to me. Otherwise, it's no different. At all.

Quoted post: It has been acceptable in games. Die in Hitman you start over. Fall down a hole in mario you start over. It may have worked for POP but the VR thing seems gay.

It's not an acceptable explanation at all. It's not even an explanation. It's just sloppy and lazy. That's what's "gay." It's nice to see Ubi actually attempt to explain something that's be ignored and tolerated for 15 years. Stop being so retarded.

What gets me is that games used to have 'lives'. That's some way to some sort of an explanation. Now you just get to start again with no penalty. A lot of games would benefit from actually punishing the player for not playing the game correctly.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: no, there's no difference. Essentially, they're both telling you a story. You experience the story in both games by actually playing it. The only difference I see is that, personally, I would rather "'experience'" it than have it "told" to me. Otherwise, it's no different. At all.

VR and being told a story do more for the overall story than just a gimmicky story telling thing. Whos' odoing the VR? Why? Whos doing the story telling? Why? It takes the games direction onto different paths. Story story story stroy. sotry soytry.

[quote]It's not an acceptable explanation at all. It's not even an explanation. It's just sloppy and lazy. That's what's "gay." It's nice to see Ubi actually attempt to explain something that's be ignored and tolerated for 15 years. Stop being so retarded.

To me VR is cheap. It's nothing really new or clever. POP had something a bit more imaginitive. I'll see how the VR pans out over time but right now its just seems crap.

What the ****.

Posted by Bebop

You heard.

Quoted post: What the ****.

yeah, I can't even continue arguing anymore. This is so stupid.

It's like he knows his argument fell apart, so now he's just rambling. :D

Posted by Bebop

I can't beleive you think a character experiencing Virtual Reality isn't a gimmicky death explanation. They should have done what Conker did :p:

Quoted post: It's like he knows his argument fell apart, so now he's just rambling.

I don't even think he's being serious =/ I hope not anyways.

Posted by Bebop

VR is dumb. Just dying is fine. No need to ruin a game with some gimmick death thing. You guys suck.

How can you say it's gimmicky when you know next to nothing about it? Plus, it's not just an explanation for death, it fits into the overall game and series as a whole.

No matter what, it's still better than "lol yer dead, back to the start"

Dude, just dying would be fine, if there was some sort of punishment (see: Dead Rising). The fact is, though, that in most games you just get to start again from where you left off.

I'd love to see a game where if you died you had to start over in this generation. Games are too **** easy.

EDIT: Vampiro and I think so alike, it's scary.

Posted by Bebop

Vamp, I did say I'd wait for it to pan out. From looking at it now it seems just to be how the death works. If it actually has something good to offer to the overal game than I'll be pleased, and I hope so. Right now, we do know about the VR, it doesnt seem needed.

Wings, i remember playing Banjo Kazzoie. If you lost all your lives and got a Game Over you would just start at the entrance of Grunty's lair. The game over screen has pretty much become useless.

Quoting Bebop: Wings, i remember playing Banjo Kazzoie. If you lost all your lives and got a Game Over you would just start at the entrance of Grunty's lair. The game over screen has pretty much become useless.

Yep. That's what I'm saying should be changed.

Quoted post: Vamp, I did say I'd wait for it to pan out. From looking at it now it seems just to be how the death works. If it actually has something good to offer to the overal game than I'll be pleased, and I hope so. Right now, we do know about the VR, it doesnt seem needed.

What we know is that this series has three parts. The first is about being an assassin, the latter two, or last, will take place in the future. Put two and two together and think about what use that VR system could have. So we know it's a lot more than just an explanation for death. Whether it's "needed" or not is debatable, because chances are, they could have come up with something different. But we are talking about the future, a place where genetic memories exist and can be used to let you experience past lives. If that doesn't sound cool to you, coupled with the possibilities of the sequels, then I don't understand you.

I would be more interested in a past/present/future scenario.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: What we know is that this series has three parts. The first is about being an assassin, the latter two, or last, will take place in the future. Put two and two together and think about what use that VR system could have. So we know it's a lot more than just an explanation for death. Whether it's "needed" or not is debatable, because chances are, they could have come up with something different. But we are talking about the future, a place where genetic memories exist and can be used to let you experience past lives. If that doesn't sound cool to you, coupled with the possibilities of the sequels, then I don't understand you.

I never knew of this! >:0

The only thing Ive had to go one about the VR is the video clip and your info post. Now it seems more than a death explanation and more to do with benefitng the game. Which is what I like.

He explained it really early on in the thread, dude.

Quoted post: I would be more interested in a past/present/future scenario.

So, past through VR, present through VR, and then future through first-hand experiences? Yeah, I can definitely see that. Or did you mean present as in the present of the Assassin's main character (not Altair) then the future of the main character's world?

Eh, sorry if that didn't make sense...

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: He explained it really early on in the thread, dude.

Lies. Bitter lies.

Quoting Vampiro: Apparently the next two sequels, or at least one, will take place in the future.

Whatever. :)

Posted by Bebop

Thats much more vauqye then what he said up above.

Except that it was the first I'd heard of it as well, and I understood it perfectly.

Posted by Bebop

That sounds like it is: the sequels will just have a different time setting. Rather than the VR use actually benefiting the gameplay such as new moves and stuff.

Posted by Last Fog

Just wanna say thanks guys for making a new thread just to have the dumbest argument of all time and not cluttering the one I made.

Although I do see where Bebop is coming from. It just feels better to actually play through the events rather than a VR thing or whatever it is. I'm a little disappointed. On the other hand, it's not much different than Prince of Persia.

Posted by Speedfreak

Considering the concept of extra lives is pretty much the standard in games I think it's stupid to explain it away with such a ridiculous plot device when it'd be much cooler to just be an assassin in that time and exercise my already worn-in suspension of disbelief to ignore the extra lives.

Extra lives are fine when there is a finite number. Even when they are so freely available that they might as well be infinite, it still adds a certain edge.

Knowing that you have infinite lives in a stealth games seems counter-intuitive, to me. It encourages a more gung-ho approach rather than a more careful one.

Quoted post: Although I do see where Bebop is coming from. It just feels better to actually play through the events rather than a VR thing or whatever it is. I'm a little disappointed. On the other hand, it's not much different than Prince of Persia.

Except he preferred the PoP style, rather than the VR. It's one thing to not want anything like that, that I can understand, but that wasn't the case. Which is what was most confusing to me.

Quoted post: Considering the concept of extra lives is pretty much the standard in games I think it's stupid to explain it away with such a ridiculous plot device when it'd be much cooler to just be an assassin in that time and exercise my already worn-in suspension of disbelief to ignore the extra lives.

But than the rest of the trilogy would kind of fall apart =/ People are forgetting that there's a larger story other than "lol im an assassin." This way you get to be an assassin WHILE experiencing another story within a trilogy.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

The last 3 lines of this article are rather interesting...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736393p1.html

The AI thing? Yeah, pretty sure it's already been discussed in one of the AC threads.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai]The last 3 lines of this article are rather interesting...

[URL="http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736393p1.html"]http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736393p1.html[/URL]

Interesting? More like obvious. We've known for ages that Cell blows at branchy code like AI, here's the end result of it.

No, Cell is awesome at threading etc. It's just that modern developers don't know how to cross-program. :)