Transfering Files Between Computers

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I'll be acquiring a laptop soon, and I obviously would rather not go through the arduous process of downloading thousands of music files via torrent again. So, is there any way (aside from computer crashing AIM File Transfers) to transfer the files I have on this computer to my new one?

Posted by Klarth

Burn CDs/DVDs. Alternatively, set up DC++ on both computers, start your own local hub and move **** across.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Quoting Klarth: Burn CDs/DVDs. Alternatively, set up DC++ on both computers, start your own local hub and move **** across.

I would already have a ton of burned CDs, but someone decided to leave the disk tray open one day and walk into it causing it to break off. Also, I have no idea what DC++ is.

I suppose I could try and repair the damage with my extra CD/DVD burner from my old computer...

Posted by Klarth

Learn more about DC++ - It's a filesharing service where you create/join a hub, share a set minimum amount of stuff and transfer ****. I used it to move stuff across when I got my new laptop, so yay.

Posted by Lord of Spam

or, ya know, just get a cat5 cable or put the computers on the smae network and put the files in shared folders. Bam. seriously, this is easy ****.

Posted by Apathetic

USB?

Posted by Trigger

Quoting Lord of Spam: or, ya know, just get a cat5 cable or put the computers on the smae network and put the files in shared folders. Bam. seriously, this is easy ****.

Enough said.

Cat-6, if your network adapters can take advantage of 1000MB speed but even if you bought Cat-6 and you network adapters weren't compatible, the cable would just send the data at the reduced speed. If you don't have a network adapter in either computer, quit being stingy and buy one - there's no real reason not to, and it'll be ever so convenient for future data transfers and, you know, Internet connection sharing. Forget the methods everyone else has said, they're all ridiculous anyway.

Posted by Klarth

DC++ was good for me, though :( Then again, sharing folders on the campus network = getting kicked off, what with it being run by total nazis.

Posted by Apathetic

Yet you still do it?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yu get booted for sharing folders? Wtf? Why?

Posted by Trigger

Cheating much?

Posted by Klarth

"filesharing is illegal and consumes bandwidth!!!!1"

Apparently we now have an internal bandwidth limit!

Posted by KoH

Network transfer. Odd concept, BUT IT WORKS!!!

Not even sure if this thread is dead or alive... probably dead considering I haven't seen sean around here for ages.

Edit: Ho ho! the great Sean is still alive!