Assassin's Creed

Posted by Last Fog

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gOk5j-iGuTM

This shows off an actual demo being played - WOW.

Scaling buildings and climbing looks very fluid and seems to give tremendous freedom, although its difficult to know exactly what the player is doing. Nothing revolutionary though, more like a step up from prince of persia. Still prince of persia is very linear, and this gives you freedom to reach your target however you want and plan an escape. The crowd interaction could be cool, needs improvement. And you get to ride horses YAY!

Posted by Speedfreak

K so this and Banjo Kazooie are now on my 360 must-have list. THREE MORE PLZ.

Posted by Axis

Xbox 360 is a future system? Come on people, it's not hard!!!

Yeah, but this game is going to be freaking awesome.

Posted by s0ul

It's on PS3 too, sillybilly!!

Posted by Speedfreak

I think future games also fit rather neatly into this board if they're multiformat.

Posted by Axis

Quoting s0ul: It's on PS3 too, sillybilly!!

But we have a board for the Wii and it's 2 months away. As the Playstation 3 (Playstation board) too.

Speedfreak: I think it should have been put under General Gaming Chat, but it's that not that big of a deal.

Posted by Dexter

haha. She died.

Game looks amazing. Definitely one I'd like to venture through. Running through the crowds like "American football" looks like a lot of fun alone. The 360 is starting to get some interesting games. I wonder what the monks needed help with...

Posted by TendoAddict

Im glad to see poeple making more dynamic games and not the same **** all over again.

I like that the game has a sence of realism that makes it more stratigic rather then gun ho and being unkillable.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Probably my most anticipated game, and though there's still a few glitches and bugs to work out, the game looks gorgeous. Plus, the movement and gameplay looks so fluid and open. I can't wait to finally play it.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

The 360 version has improved AI due to the threading capabilities of the console. Which is awesome.

Speedfreak - I keep telling you, Dead Rising and Tony Hawk should be on that list. But you JUST WON'T LISTEN.

Also BioShock.

Posted by Bebop

Don't listen to him Adam! Dead Rising is wank! It has a flawed saving system and it's basically State of Emergency with Zombies! It's a rental at best. A RENTAAAAALLL!!!

The save system is only flawed if you're stupid. There is a constant timer on the screen for when you have to be at the next mission spot - if you save without enough time left, it's your own fault, not the game's.

Posted by Bebop

I'm talking about how few saves you get. And how if you save in a bad place once you're screwed. That and the game gets boring after 20 minutes of hitting the same button.

Are you going off actual experience, or hearsay and reviews on the tubes?

There's no excuse for saving in a bad place. That's your own stupid fault, as I mentioned. And having one save slot is not a problem. At all. Pokémon only had one save slot, and nobody ever complained. It's a similar system.

What I like about it is that it actually gives you real choice instead of the semblance of choice. In GTA, you can go and do one mission, but the other will still be there when you get back. In Dead Rising, you can choose to do one mission at the expense of another, and it's up to you to decide whether you have enough time to get the old man back to the security room before the next essential mission somewhere else, or whether you have to let him die in order to actually complete the game.

Posted by Bebop

All 3 :p

You may have freedom over missions but everything else is boring. It gets old fast. Dressing up like megaman and doing the same thing isn't my idea of fun.

Pretty much every game consists of doing the exact same thing.

Posted by Bebop

Not to the degree of Dead Rising.

...what?

Have you played the game? The demo? Clarify.

For me, it's fun. Even though it's advertised as being the game where you can mash zombies with anything, I spend most of my time forcing my way through the crowds without actually trying to engage them, or running on their shoulders. It's the story that drives it.

Admittedly, I've no reached a point where I can't get past (there's a part where you have to collect a load of items in a maze, and there's a dude in a car trying to run you over, along with sixteen trillion zombies blocking your way), but I've almost done it, and I know that with practice I can complete that particular section - it's just frustrating to have to struggle through this bit again and again when I'm only about 20 hours from the helicopter arriving. Again, choice.

If I wanted, I could save my progress and start the game again from two days ago, at level 13. It wouldn't be too much work, and I could spend my time leveling up between story missions instead of wandering around not knowing where I am. But I know I can beat this guy, so I'm going to keep trying until I do. And that's what a good game is - a decent challenge.

Besides, the worrying nature of being on a timer would completely lose its urgency if you could save wherever and whenever, and go back to any save at any point.

Posted by Bebop

What do you want me to clarify?

For me the game is dull. For me if a game has me doing the exact same thing every 3 seconds for the entire duration of the game it's not worth full retail price.

Whether you've palyed the full game or the demo. I can see you getting the idea that it was repetitive and dull from the demo, but not really from the full game.

And I already explained - you don't just whack zombies for the whole game. It's engineered so that the zombies are the secondary priority.

Posted by Bebop

I've only played the demo. I'm not going to touch the full game if a demo couldnt keep me entertained. What's the first priority then? It's nothing but kill zombies. It would be fun if it followed the RESI $ Mercenaries route. It feels to much like Dynasty Warriors with the undead.

Quoted post: And I already explained - you don't just whack zombies for the whole game. It's engineered so that the zombies are the secondary priority.

Right, at a certain point you pretty much ignore the zombies and view them as a walking wall. You eventually gain abilities that let you get past zombies without ever having to hit. Why? Because that's not what the game is designed around. You're stuck in a mall that just happens to have zombies.

Quoted post:
I've only played the demo. I'm not going to touch the full game if a demo couldnt keep me entertained. What's the first priority then? It's nothing but kill zombies. It would be fun if it followed the RESI $ Mercenaries route. It feels to much like Dynasty Warriors with the undead.

The demo is built around killing zombies. The game is not. The game isn't even about killing zombies, it's about solving the overall mystery. That's the first priority.

The first priority is to go through the motions with the story, and find out the cause of the zombie outbreak.

Go play the demo again, and find all five different endings. Three of them show random psychos in the mall, one shows the zombies getting nasty at 7pm, and one shows them all dying because you squashed a queen parasite - a clue to the full story.

To be honest, after I played the demo I was a bit apprehensive about it as well. It did seem simply to bash zombies around. But the full game really is nothing like that. The demo and the full version are completely different beasts.

EDIT: MAJORITY RULE

Posted by Bebop

Fair enough. If I get a chance I'll try the full game. What I do know is that it's a more actiony blood bath kill fest than Capcom's Resi which is something I'm not really sold on yet.

Only if you choose it to be. Boss battles are sort of similar to Resi 4, actually, especially if you end up going into aim mode.

Quoted post: What I do know is that it's a more actiony blood bath kill fest than Capcom's Resi which is something I'm not really sold on yet.

The only comparison you can draw between the two is zombies. Oh, and it's created by Capcom. Otherwise, the two couldn't possibly be any more different. And I didn't find the boss battles to be very similar.

Posted by Bebop

REsi and Dead Rising are differnt. Ones a scary game. One focuses more on action and sensless violence. Dead Rising is more comedic too. Surely you cant think running over zombies with lawn mowers or dressing up as Mega Man is on the same tone as Resi 4?

Oh, no. But the gameplay when you're shooting from over-the-shoulder at a woman on a motorbike seems very similar.

Quoted post: REsi and Dead Rising are differnt. Ones a scary game. One focuses more on action and sensless violence. Dead Rising is more comedic too. Surely you cant think running over zombies with lawn mowers or dressing up as Mega Man is on the same tone as Resi 4?

Which is why I said they're completely different =/

Posted by Bebop

You said the only difference is the zombies. It's not the only difference.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Which is why I said they're completely different =/

Gah mis-read.

We win!

So, social stealth, eh?

Quoted post: So, social stealth, eh?

Sounds so ****ing awesome. Ubi's great at making you hide in shadows, but there's something about using a crowd to remain undetected that's just amazing. Also gaining and helping allies, which sounds like a choice you make, rather than a requirement, to further your abilities to hide is even better. Adds a lot more depth and strategy.

Exactly. I can't wait.

Even the fact that shoving people over draws attention to you is great. What I want to see, though, is if you climb a building, the people near you should point or whatever, but if you then run over the rooftop and jump between buildings, few people should notice.

Posted by Bebop

Is there any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? Other than giant crabs.

yeah, should be interesting to see how that turns out. Because, at the moment, the crowd system looks a little too stiff. Definitely more advanced than that of Oblivion, but they still look a tad dumb and robotic. I'm sure it'll become more fluid and the AI will be ramped up a bit more in the future. Then we'll start seeing some truly incredible stuff.

Quoted post: Is there any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? Other than giant crabs.

Better AI in the 360 version. Apparently, that's it. They're supposed to look and play the exact same. Oh, and the achievements and maybe some downloadable content.

Yeah, oddly enough they wouldn't talk about Entitlements.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Better AI in the 360 version. Apparently, that's it. They're supposed to look and play the exact same. Oh, and the achievements and maybe some downloadable content.

B-b-but I thought the mighty power of the Cell and it's 2 teraflops gave PS3 the undisputed edge in AI!!!

Posted by Last Fog

[quote]Better AI in the 360 version. Apparently, that's it. They're supposed to look and play the exact same. Oh, and the achievements and maybe some downloadable content.I can't imagine them playing the same when the PS3 version has dumbed-down CPUs. This game seems heavily based on AI, so therefore the 360 version is undoubtedly better. And who knows whether PS3 will have downloadable content and achievements. I mean after all, it's working for Microsoft, and Sony's not afraid to imitate.

I was at first expecting the game to be linear in the sense that you have missions in a set pattern. Sort of like Hitman. But you can do those missions in a huge number of different ways. But now it seems much deeper than that, with side missions like they mentioned. For instance they did something for the monks and then get their help in return. This should add sooo much depth and strategy.

Quoted post: I can't imagine them playing the same when the PS3 version has dumbed-down CPUs. This game seems heavily based on AI, so therefore the 360 version is undoubtedly better. And who knows whether PS3 will have downloadable content and achievements. I mean after all, it's working for Microsoft, and Sony's not afraid to imitate.

The improved AI only affects the crowd, nothing else.

Except that when the crowd is a 'dynamic obstacle', that becomes extremely important, both for Altair and the guards or whatever that chase him.

We don't really know how much more advanced they'll be, nor how the advanced AI will play into the crowds role. Either way, that's one portion of the game that has a minor upgrade. The rest are apparently identical.

Posted by Speedfreak

Rumble also plays a big part in the game according to Wikipedia. PS3 FTL.

Hah. According to Wikipedia.

The rumble has been speculated to help when you're feeling for handholds. No solid info released.

Of course it won't be rumble only.

Posted by Bebop

Feeling for handholds? Explain.

When youre climbing a wall or whatever, you have to feel around for something to grip onto if you're not in an ideal situation. If you're climbing up on a windowledge, that's fine, but if you come to a point with a sheer wall you'll have to feel around for a gap between the brickwork so you can continue climbing.

Of course, if you do this with people chasing you, staying still while you do it provides them with an easy target. But as you spend more and more time with the skill, you'll be able to see the best routes easier - not a game effect, just with practice and perception.

Posted by TendoAddict

I wonder just how deep social stealth is. Mostly likely its going to be a big part of the game. Proably going to get real deep into sub factions that affect the villagers view of you. You'll probably make enemys with these factions too (affecting the whole intuition thing). I just hope its not too deep.

Im also wondering how the whole assassination cycle will work. I doubt such detailed citys will be used for one or two missions. But after you kill some one obviously your ability to walk into that city weakened (judging on all the comotion the assassin created after he killed that one guy). It would be a waste if you were bansihed from a nicely designed city after one kill.

Quoted post: I just hope its not too deep.

*** forbid.

Quoted post: Im also wondering how the whole assassination cycle will work. I doubt such detailed citys will be used for one or two missions. But after you kill some one obviously your ability to walk into that city weakened (judging on all the comotion the assassin created after he killed that one guy). It would be a waste if you were bansihed from a nicely designed city after one kill.

That's the whole point of remaining stealthy. Don't get caught. Plus, I think you have to kill around nine guys.

In the whole game?

I remember reading a number around that, but I can't find anything on it anymore. So I can't say.

Posted by Bebop

I don't know why people are making a big deal of social stealth. It's hardly anything new.

I don't remember playing it in any games. Maybe Hitman, but that's a bit different. It's how you interact with the crowd, who you use to blend in with, and how you got those alliances. On it's own it may not be anything revolutionary, but with everything else that plays into it, it's very exciting.

Yeah, Hitman is really the only other franchise it's comparable to.

Posted by GameMiestro

I thought it was cool how he blended in to those monks. I almost expected him to start whacking himself with a board ala Monty Python.

You're a genius.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: I don't remember playing it in any games. Maybe Hitman, but that's a bit different. It's how you interact with the crowd, who you use to blend in with, and how you got those alliances. On it's own it may not be anything revolutionary, but with everything else that plays into it, it's very exciting.

It's not that different at all really. If you got the right uniform or costume in Hitman you were granted the same privaligies and expectations as the others dressed the same. Blended in with the monks is the same. It just so happens he already looks similar. Same in Metal Gear Solid as well.

Yeah, but in Hitman it was very much 'you're in a chauffeur's suit, you're a chauffeur', whereas in this you could be recognised while blending in with the monks, but it's not as likely.

Posted by Bebop

Than Creed sounds more like "You look like a monk but some people disagree" which soundes naffer than Hitman. It's more realisitc but I wouldn't exactly call it stealth. Sounds more like luck and chance.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro:
Plus, I think you have to kill around nine guys.

Wow, I didnt realise how important each kill was. I thought you killed tons of people (sorry, just old game habbits).If its true then Social stealth should be very deep.

I just didnt want to do an hour of side quests to be able to walk with some Monks only to have my work thrown in the crapper by one kill with the kill itself being of little importance.

Quoted post: Than Creed sounds more like "You look like a monk but some people disagree" which soundes naffer than Hitman. It's more realisitc but I wouldn't exactly call it stealth. Sounds more like luck and chance.

I dont see how luck and chance really works into this. When you do stuff for a faction then people assiociate you with them. They then belive that its ordinary and nothing is wrong, which can be used to your advantage.

In the video the assassin could walk with the monks because people associated him with the monks. Not because they though he was one or that he looked liked one.

Posted by Slade

The only thing that had me a little peeved was the fact that when he hits the guy outside the city gates while he's on his horse, it looks like the guy just gets pushed out of the way- just like any other game where two things collide. I want to see real physics where the guy you hit gets thrown back a bit or knocked to the ground in a realistic fashion.

The climbing and moving quickly through the city bits are amazing, though.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting TendoAddict: In the video the assassin could walk with the monks because people associated him with the monks. Not because they though he was one or that he looked liked one.

How do you figure that? I'll check the video again but I don't remember th Ubi speaker saying something like that.

I don't think that's entirely right. You fit in with the monks because they let you mingle with them. I assume that if you hadn't done the tasks for them beforehand, they'd shove you out of their group or something, thus drawing mroe attention to you than if you'd not gone near them.

Posted by Bebop

Oh right that makes more sense. Kind of like if you spent time being the local gardener people wouldnt freak to see you in their garden. Now I see what Social Stealth means. I just figured no-one cared you were near the monks because you looked like fun, as if following the Hitman route of stealth.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Wings: I don't think that's entirely right. You fit in with the monks because they let you mingle with them. I assume that if you hadn't done the tasks for them beforehand, they'd shove you out of their group or something, thus drawing mroe attention to you than if you'd not gone near them.

Oh I understand that. I was trying to exsplain how it works from the outside in rather then the inside out. Bebop obviously thought the assasin was just wearing a disguise to fit in. I think they could of used a better faction to get the point across because they did look rather similar.

In essance your creating two Social Disguses, One of being a helper for the monks (the monks letting mingle with them) and another of being assoicated with the monks (outside the Monks circle who think everything is normal)

Quoted post: It's not that different at all really. If you got the right uniform or costume in Hitman you were granted the same privaligies and expectations as the others dressed the same. Blended in with the monks is the same. It just so happens he already looks similar. Same in Metal Gear Solid as well.

The difference being that, in Hitman, the crowd is barely alive. They don't feel alive anyways. They're just put in there as a "look what we can do" sort of way. In AC, it seems like the crowd plays a gigantic role. You don't just blend in with them by wearing a chicken costume, you blend in by being one of them.

Quoted post:
In essance your creating two Social Disguses, One of being a helper for the monks (the monks letting mingle with them) and another of being assoicated with the monks (outside the Monks circle who think everything is normal)

Pretty sure you aren't recognized as being one of the monks, like, people have seen you with them before. It's just that, as said, you've helped them in past so they'll let you blend in. Nothing more.

Quoted post: Wow, I didnt realise how important each kill was. I thought you killed tons of people (sorry, just old game habbits).If its true then Social stealth should be very deep.

You're killing people involved with the crusade, those that can actually have an impact on it. I don't believe you're trying to stop it, but you're trying to stop something involved with it. These nine, or however many people, are affecting the crusade in some way you, or those you work for, disagree with.

Quoted post: The only thing that had me a little peeved was the fact that when he hits the guy outside the city gates while he's on his horse, it looks like the guy just gets pushed out of the way- just like any other game where two things collide. I want to see real physics where the guy you hit gets thrown back a bit or knocked to the ground in a realistic fashion.

She mentioned you'd see glitches and the like because they aren't finished. Sounds like something that will get worked out

Posted by Cruxis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I just hope the story fairs well.[/FONT]