Diddy Kong Racing

Posted by D.J Cat

I've always liked this game a fair bit, but only recenly I've come to the conclusion that in my opinion anyway it is better than Mario Kart 64.
Better graphics, music, single player and stratergy in multiplayer, because you choose what power-ups to get.
And just that feeling of driving the car is hard to explain, and trying to just tip the zippers on windmill plains.
If I had more good oponents for multiplayer I would enjoy it more, but I'm sure the time will come, I shall train some up. :cool:

aaannyway...

A few weeks ago when we were at a friends for a usual night of gaming and fun with perhaps a few drinks thrown into the equasion I thought I may as well try and beat the entire game in one night.
I got to 4:00am with about 30 balloons and decided to give it a rest.

I got up at about 10ish the next morning and spent the next hour or so continuing my way through the game.
The highligfht of the morning was going from 6th to 1st on the last boost in Greenwood Villigae to steal 1st place by the barest of margins. I got up to the 1st Wizpig, and then went home and played Golf and did various other outside things for the day.
I went back down there at about 9pm that night to find that my friends had spent 3 hours trying to beat Wizpig (using T.T...I had been using Timber) and had succeeded.
Well I decided to continue the challenge, so I rematched Wizpig, just to prove I could and beat him first go...using Timber. :cool:
I then powered my through Future Funland and completed the game.
It was a wonderful moment in gaming. :-D

Game completed in 26 hours -4 hours of sleep and -12 hours before I resumed playing. And various events that happened inbetween/while doing this.
And drinks did not/do not alter my playing abilities.
All I do is speak my mind more so I told everyone they suck when I beat them in DKR, Goldeneye, Smash Bros Melee, Perfect Dark etc. :p:

Why I posted all that I don't know but maybe you people will find it amusing.

Posted by maian

Oh, I'm with you. This beats MK64 by a long shot. I loooove this game. I believe I've beaten the game in less time, though. :) I use Tiptup on everything, and it never really gets old.

Funny, when I was a lot younger, my dad could always beat Wizpig 1, and I never could. However, I could own Wizpig 2 everytime, and he never could. Now I'm just amazing at the whole game. :) It really is great. It's a shame they never made a sequel.

Posted by Last Fog

I could never beat the final race against the dragon. :'(

I like mario kart better though, regardless of no story mode. These games are made for multiplayer.

Posted by Dexter

I am entertained by gaming stories.

Greenwood Village is the best track in the game, probably because I remember it being one of the most difficult tracks while collecting the coins. I adore difficult goals and they seem to be the things I remember most about many games.

I remember I had everything completed in the game, then about a year later, I let my friend's little brother (he was only 4 years younger than me) borrow it and he somehow deleted everything! He was so worried that I was going to get upset with him. He was sugaring me up fretfully before he told me, and he was still trying to blame his little sister for distracting him. I decided to make a new adventure out of it and I had him beat the entire game over again, with my help of course. Through that conquest, we bonded more than ever before. It's amazing how much communication and bonding transpires through video game activities. We compared the characters to actual people we knew and found many similarities. It’s one of the greatest "remember when" stories we have and I can't play Diddy Kong without thinking about it. I never could bring myself to tell him about letting go of the acceleration before hitting a booster, but he eventually figured it out. My sister, Fairy, however, never did.

Mario Kart for the Nintendo 64 is terrible, but maybe that's because Diddy Kong is always there for me and is more enjoyable. I enjoy Mario Karts for the Super Nintendo and Game Cube more.

Posted by maian

Yes, I have many memories from this game. :)

Me and my cousin often turned on the cheats for extra, extra fun. It was really fun always having max powerups, and seeing how ridiculously far we could fly on jumps, espcecially when there was a zipper ahead and we decelerated. This is truly a great game. I pity those who play it and don't see it's greatness. :(

Posted by P_Black

I still own and play DKR to this date..everything was just so incredibly fun about it..especially multiplayer.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Dexter: I never could bring myself to tell him about letting go of the acceleration before hitting a booster, but he eventually figured it out.

I am consfued by this statement.
Why wouldn't you tell him...?

The reason why Kart 64 gets more appeal is simply because its more for casual gamers.
Who you play your games with can in the long term decide how much fun you will have with certain games.
I always saw the multiplayer in DKR as pretty average because no one could get near me and it was boring, yet mario Kart 64 was always wacky, random fun.
Now I see a future in DKR's multiplayer, I have tought some friends and I'm pretty sure some guys at a Smash Bros tournament play DKR so it should be a good meet up. :cool:

I'm looking foward to being able to continue my Adventure thorugh Adventure 2 (I have 30 ballons...or silver crystal like cool things...) again some night.
Should be cute.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Oh noes! I'm late in the conversation!

I use to spend a lot of time playing diddy kong racing. It was fun. Better than MK64. I did both adventures, but for some reason, the 2nd one was easier than the first one. I don't know why though. Wizpig was hard at first until I discovered the "Green" secret of the boosters on the tracks. The rest was all easy. I must admit though that the boss of the snow world (2nd time around) was pretty hard. You din't have much to keep ahead.

I take...what's her name again? Tipsy? That mouse, yeah. Her and Tip-top were probably the only ones that could turn well. The others, it was just impossible. So I did it all with tipsy, but I wish I could have used banjo.

Favorite track? I don't remember the names, but it was the second one on the spaceship. The music was fun to listen to.

Favorite boss? The dragon. Not too hard, but not too easy.
[/COLOR]

Posted by D.J Cat

Adventure 2 easier than the first time around?
I think not, the difficulty is pumped up, the Silver coins have been moved, and I am struggling with some of them.
But the challenge is great.

Pipsy the mouse. :)
I'm all for Bumper and Timber. More so Timber.
I don't care much for their stats they are just cool.

The 2nd Future Funland track was Darkmoon Caverns.
I loved that level too.
The music is superb.

The Dragon boss had a great voice. :D

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I cannot explain why I found adventure 2 easier. I just did it very quickly. The tracks were the other way around and yet I got use to it quickly.

Thanx D.J. I just haven't played in the past 6 months and my memory is getting rusty.

Darkmoon caverns...Even the name rocks :p:[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

wow. . . I guess I just. . . sucked at this game. . . I never beat it :(

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]What? Try again dude :D

If you still have it.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

nah, I only borrowed it from a friend sporadically.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Aw too bad. I still have it at home, but since I'm the only one that is still playing the game around where I live, I don't have any challenge :( This game is fun with 4 players.[/COLOR]

Posted by Kit

I only got to play Diddy Kong racing once, since I don't have an N64. Not the same, playing on a ROM. It was one of the games that made me consider getting an N64, but I never could. I really want to play this again.

Posted by Xero

[url]www.ebay.com[/url] ;)

Posted by Kit

Got noooo money.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Get a job.[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

Only time I've played DKR was against friends in multiplayer. :(

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]You're missing a lot of fun ;)

Seriously.[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

My sister loves playing multiplayer when it comes to the flying stage where you have to pick up the eggs and return them to your foundation. She’s always trying to win by taking my eggs and putting them on her base, but I’m just too quick for her and am always staying one step ahead.

She also likes the castle level where you have to get the bananas but she's frequently tumbling down into the water and she eventually gets frustrated and wants to play mini-games in Mario Party again.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]My favorite is black water beach. Seeing as you have a hydro, it's harder to aim at the opponents.

I find the banana/castle game pretty boring. I always win and you basically only need to drive around to carry 2 bananas.

The egg game is fun too. [/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

I noticed that player 1 has a strong advantage with the castle/banana level. His path towards bananas seems much easier and quicker, loaded with many bananas.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I noticed that too. I usually don't need to look for it, but then again, just climb up to the chests and then drive around to your color. That would take you about 5 more seconds only. Not that bad.[/COLOR]

Posted by maian

The castle level is fun when playing with the freeforall code. :) It's a lot harder for one player to just choose a path, since all the powerups are at maximum. This easily allows them to get bombarded with rockets or magnetized before they make real progress. :cool:

I enjoy Darkwater Beach, though.

Posted by Kit

Oh, I just remembered. I love the theme music to this game. :)

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I used the codes once, but the freeforall one is not my favorite. Using 10 little rockets is not as good as having the 2nd rocket level wich runs after you. With that one, you can't miss unless you're in front of a wall.

But for the blue baloons, it is usefull :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Colonel

I still havn't beaten the final Boss in this game :\

Posted by Dexter

Which one? Do you mean the real final boss after the space levels when you have to fly? It's not too difficult; just remember to release the acceleration before hitting the boosts and you should be ok. Knowing the path and dodging objects in important, as well.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]The final boss isen't that easy, but it's a good thing that Wizpig does not go faster than you do. Basically, when you pass him, don't hit any obstacles and you'll win. He won't shoot you and he doesn't have any...boosters. You don't have any either, but you have those blue balloons :) Just be carefull.[/COLOR]

Posted by GameMiestro

Why exactly are you fighting people in this? Whatever happened to friendly, sportsmanlike kart racing...

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]*takes out mario kart DS* You were saying?[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

Quoting GameMiestro: Why exactly are you fighting people in this? Whatever happened to friendly, sportsmanlike kart racing...

The only racing game I can currently think of that I enjoyed that didn't involve fighting was San Francisco Rush and Top Gear.

Posted by Arczu

It's just that, I wouldn't call Mario Kart 64 terrible. If you ask me, that is going a little too far for a game most people in my family enjoyed thuroughly including myself. Block Fort!

But Man... DKR really is fun. Me and a friend of mine found this awhile ago and decided to finish it. Wow did we ever suck. Even though were were using the JOINTVENTURE magic code, we had a HELL of a time getting silver coins in Adventure 2. The funny thing though, is that it's not fruststrating because once you get into this, it's awesome. And yeah, took us the longest time to figure out that you have to keep letting go of the gas in order to boost properly. We we never beating that pig. Sheesh.

Posted by Dexter

The minor frustration I had during the coin collections made it all the more fun. It was the good frustration, the kind that keeps me playing it until I finally conquer it. I think that's why I enjoyed Greenwood Village the most, it was one of the more difficult levels that gave me plenty of enjoyment.

If Donkey Kong Racing was to be released as planned for the Game Cube, I bet it would have been better than the Mario Kart for the Cube. I suppose I'll never know. :(

Posted by maian

I dunno, Donkey Kong Racing was more "Race in Donkey Kong Country", so there were no cars, just animals, and the only characters were DKC characters. :(

Meanwhile, DKR was it's whole new world. There was really nothing related to Donkey Kong at all, except for Diddy himself. That's why I loved it. Not only that, but two characters from it got their own major-success games, while others made cameos in those games.

Oh, what'd I'd do to get an awesome platform involving Tiptup...

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Funny how I've never even heard of Donkey kong racing...What console?[/COLOR]

Posted by maian

Well, Donkey Kong Racing was supposed to be a launch title for GC. It kept getting delayed, delayed, and delayed. Eventually, it just got canceled. =/ I'm curious as to what it would've been like, though.

Posted by Xero

[B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Same here.

I'm pretty sure it would have been...ok, but not as good as mario kart or diddy kong racing. Why? Becuase most people would have probably thought it's sorta D

Posted by D.J Cat

Well, last night I continued through Adventure 2.

I started on 30 balloons and ended on 38 balloons.
I also beat 3 bosses, won 3 trophy races and beat Wizpig.

Memorable moments were:
* The difficulty of Greenwood Villiage. The AI is much harder on Adventure 2, they all kept bumping me off coins and balloons and driving in a line so I couldn't get the magnet balloon!

* Nearly giving up on the location of the last coin in Everfrost peak, when my friend spotted it, while the camera follows you arounf post-race.

* Banjo saying "Ya faaag!".
At funny times too. Like when he gets bumped and this time I crashe dinto the door weirdly.

* Windmill Plains.

And off topic a bit but its not worth its own thread.
I played Crash Site on Perfect Agent in Perfect Dark.
It was so intense and awesome.
I got killed by the 2nd last gaurd, before I could shoot the president clone in that little cave...
I think you had to be there...

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]AH! Greenwood village! I hate that level. In both adventures, I had a hard time getting all the coins and win. I think it took my 30 times to win the first time around.

I also remember in the space world that the 3rd track was as hard. I can't remember the name though :(

Congrats for perfect dark :)[/COLOR]

Posted by D.J Cat

I think you may be thinking of Spaceport Alpha.
I was thinking of that level while I was doing Windmill plains.
And I ain't looking foward to it.
Which is a lie, because, yes, it will be a challenge, and thats the way I like it.

**** plane levels, I can't seem to get a proper boost out of the air zippers very often at all.
Spaceport Alpha was hard enough on the first Adventture...
This will be tricky, not to mention the re-re-re-re match with Wizpig.

I can't wait.
:)

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I like racing with planes. I don't have a hard time getting into the zippers, but I hate having to avoid the walls (in windmill planes of course)

The vehicul I can't stand is the Hydro one. When you turn too much, you lose control.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

I hated that kiddy laugh at the start. Shudder.

Posted by D.J Cat

When I was young, I used to hate that laugh and the fake generic kids noises (which they might not be)

But these days I don't mind, I'm used to it, its part of the game.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I still hate it lol. Everytime I open the game, I wish there was a button to skip that, but NO! I have to listen to it :([/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

I think it's cool. I used to just be indifferent to it but now I find it fairly unique.

Posted by Sean Fury

Wow, I haven't played DKR in forever. I lost my copy a long time ago, but I can easily say that it was a really fun game nonetheless. Lots of enjoyed hours went into that one. Conker forever!

And I can't wait to see Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Oh man I've been missing out. I didn't know a DKR was coming for the DS. Pretty cool. I'll be able to get it. :D[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

I think it is going to be the same game, just with a few extra additions, such as levels. Not really sure if I'll get it or not.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]New characters, new levels, new maps, new items and new music. Why not?[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

New characters? Now that's something that could pull me in. I loved all the furry characters. Any links with information or images of the characters?

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Haha sorry I supposed there would be new characters. Like super smash bros and mario party, new characters add up as more games come out. I supposed there would be new characters. Don't know who though :([/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diddy_Kong_Racing_DS#New_features

I found some interesting information there. I wonder how the microphone compatible will work. And editing your own tracks should prove to be lots of fun, especially if you can share them with friends. Looks like a definite get for me.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Tiny kong? That is so far the only new character? Aw :(

I remember loving her in Dk country 2 and 3 :)

Good find Dexter. So we can make our own tracks? Sweet.[/COLOR]

Posted by segashadow128gcn

Quoting Dexter: The minor frustration I had during the coin collections made it all the more fun. It was the good frustration, the kind that keeps me playing it until I finally conquer it. I think that's why I enjoyed Greenwood Village the most, it was one of the more difficult levels that gave me plenty of enjoyment.

If Donkey Kong Racing was to be released as planned for the Game Cube, I bet it would have been better than the Mario Kart for the Cube. I suppose I'll never know. :(

i really really dont think so. MK:DD is my favorite GCN game. its the most indepth Mario Kart ever. its just perfect. mind you that the first time i played i felt really out of place but after that first week it just grew and grew. i sware i played that game a bit to much. i would die to have it only. with 8 human racers that would make for a very interesting change of pace.

i am the best Double dasher

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Don't state things such as "I'm the best double dasher" Nobody can just state that. Have you played a world tounament and won it? No.

Thank you :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

I haven't played this game in YEARS, but ****, is it fun. It's extremely frustrating, but still fun.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]How was it frustrating?[/COLOR]

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Because the one-player missions were typically really tough. I wasn't as good at driving games as I am now, so they would probably be easier now, but back then they were ridiculous.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting segashadow128gcn: i really really dont think so. MK:DD is my favorite GCN game. its the most indepth Mario Kart ever. its just perfect. mind you that the first time i played i felt really out of place but after that first week it just grew and grew. i sware i played that game a bit to much. i would die to have it only. with 8 human racers that would make for a very interesting change of pace.

No! I'm the best Double Dasher! And no Mario Kart is as good as the Super Nintendo Mario Karts. DD is just as indepth as the others, really. After I earned everything in DD, I barely went back to it. I'd play the Super NES version over the GC and N64 version anyday.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: Because the one-player missions were typically really tough. I wasn't as good at driving games as I am now, so they would probably be easier now, but back then they were ridiculous.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Dude...That's the challenge. They can't make it that easy for you even if you start. It took me 15 times to beat the 1st boss in Dino Domain the first time I met him. I knew I'd eventually do it, but if it was too easy, I would have gotten bored quite quickly ;)[/COLOR]