Your prefered type of music?

Posted by Noir

Wasn't sure whether this should have gone in the 'poll' or 'music' subject.
Anyway, yes. Prefered type(s) of music? I have a really broad interest: Rap, Reggaeton, Ragga (not to be confused with Reggae), Dancehall, Rai (most people probably wont know what this is...), then to the OPPOSITE side of the musical spectrum to Metal, some Emo (but not much...can only take it in small doses)...There's probably more, but I can't think of it.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Right now, the type of music I prefere listening to is Techno. I like fast beats to stimulate me. If I was to get tired of techno, I'd probably go for Metal. I still love my metallica CDs and my Disturbed stuff :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

DISTURBED AREN'T METAL. AHHHHHHH

I listen to most kinds of metal (melodic death, industrial, prog, power, folk!) and a few other oddball types. Prog, metalcore, trip-hop, stoner rock, neofolk and acid jazz are always worth a listen.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I prefer to listen to post-hardcore, pop punk, emo, etc. more often than the rest of my music, but during the night I like to chill out with techno and electronica (Juno Reactor is awesome, FYI).

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Metal, Classical, Techno, Blues, some Punk, and Jazz. In that order.

Mostly Metal, though.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: DISTURBED AREN'T METAL. AHHHHHHH.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Are you serious? I apologize then. The shop I bought it at put it in the "Metal" section and it kinda sounded metalish to me :)

So what would it be? rock/pop rock?
[/COLOR]

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Nu-Metal/Alternative Hard Rock or whatever. Which is not metal.

Posted by Linkman

I'm not picky, I'll listen to anything. Symphonic Metal (Symphony X), Progressive Metal/Rock (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree), Power Metal (The Devin Townsend Band), Experimental (Machinae Supremacy), Classic Rock (Def Leppard, Queen, Whitesnake), Alternative Rock (Yellowcard, Sum 41), Techno Rock (Panic! at the Disco).

THAT'S RIGHT, I LISTEN TO DREAM THEATER AND PANIC! AT THE DISCO. OMG WEEEIIIRD :(

Posted by Omni

Classic rock, heavy metal, alternative rock, industrial, folk rock, and Johnny Cash.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: Johnny Cash.

A: I'm pretty sure he's classic rock.
B: I swear to *** I'm the only one who can't really stand his music.

Posted by Omni

I think he's his own genre, or classic country.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Black Metal, without a doubt. Out of that I prefer the stuff mixed with either Doom (Funeral or not) and Ambient music. Bands such as Nyktalgia, Sleeping Village, Nortt, Xasthur, Beatrik, Veil, Elysian Blaze, Drudkh, Forgotten Tomb, Urfaust, etc. Funeral Doom is also another genre I've been enjoying a lot (Pantheist the most). See, and it's not because I find any of this "Depressing", it's because the Black/Ambient and Black/Doom stuff is very, very beautiful and dare I say majestic; and is some of the most truley atmospheric music, more concerned in its creation than following some tired out accessible, holding-your-hand, pop formula. And the said material is the furthest removed from pop culture I've heard and still found enjoyable, convincing and with purpose (plus, it's sounds good, which is most important).

Quoting Sapphire Rose: A: I'm pretty sure he's classic rock.

No, it's called Country.

Posted by Pit

Alternatif :)

Posted by Slade

Right now my two favorite genres have to be black metal and electronica.
Other good ones are prog, psychedelic, neofolk, classical, ambient, and alternative rock. In that order.

I'm with SR on the Johnny Cash thing. I really don't care for his music or his voice. But then again, country in general disgusts me.

Posted by Arcadios

Hip-Hop, Rap, Instrumentals, Trance.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Sapphire Rose: A: I'm pretty sure he's classic rock.
B: I swear to *** I'm the only one who can't really stand his music.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]A: What Shin-Ra said- Country ;)
B: Nope. I can't stand his music either. It puts me to sleep.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Shin-Ra

Just so this doesn't become a Johnny Cash bashing fest, I'll break the cycle and say I like his music quite a bit. "Joe Bean" and "Deliah's Gone" are especially descriptive and quite effective in their shocking lyrical content. You have to consider the time period when appreciating or understanding any form of art, and for his time this was pretty "out there". But yeah, I like quite a few other songs he's done. Then again, I grew up listening to this stuff because (hi stereotype) I live in Texas, and at the Texas/Louisiana border at that.

Posted by WackoHater2

I will listen to just about anything, except gospel and opra. Opra because it's just a bunch of infernal noise, and gospel because I am a nonreligion and I don't agree with what it says. My favorite kinds of music are rap, any kind of rock, and techno/dance music. They get me the most pumped up.

Posted by Roger Smith

Video game, anime and classic rock.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Panic: I will listen to just about anything, except gospel and opra. Opra because it's just a bunch of infernal noise, and gospel because I am a nonreligion and I don't agree with what it says. My favorite kinds of music are rap, any kind of rock, and techno/dance music. They get me the most pumped up.

Opera. "Infernal noise"? It's an art form which requires years of vocal training to actually become any good at. hi unlike raprcrap

Posted by GameMiestro

EDIT: Forget that. Folk, techno, and video game music are my faves.

Posted by Noir

...I forgot about techno, and rave, and dance.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Black Metal, (funeral)doom and drone, sludge and stoner, post-rock, ambient and atmospheric, folk and viking.

In that order, more or less.

I'd expand more, but Shin said enough.

Posted by Philsdad

folk/viking metal, black metal, 70s progressive rock, Romanian gypsy music, ragtime, bluegrass, circus/carnival music, 8bit video game music, death metal, and classical for the most part.

Posted by Richaod

If you applied the word "progressive" to practically any genre (except house), it'd probably be my favourite. Also symphonic metal, melodic death and non-generic power metal.

Edit: Stone Cold Crazy, what would you consider to be progressive folk? I'm guessing you don't mean folk metal...

Posted by G-Sides

everything except for most rap and all country
(and i mean everything)

Posted by Omni

You don't know what progressive folk music is? The most famous band that plays it is Jethro Tull, and they also have a lot of other weird styles of music, too.

Pretty sure Jethro Tull is just a progressive rock band with celtic/folk elements and a folk rock era.

Posted by Omni

If you look it up, they're almost always called progressive folk music. I originally asked it as a joke, but then I had to come up with one.

I looked it up and saw a lot of "progressive rock," "progressive blues," and one "progressive folk-rock." And a lot of those seem to have no idea what they're talking about anyways.

Posted by Omni

I'll try to find some of the websites I found it on later on. I think it's even called that a few times in the wikipedia article, but I'm too lazy to look. Anyway, it's pretty much some combination of progressive rock, folk rock, British blues, and hard rock. Ian Anderson is still the man, no matter what genre they play on whatever album.

Yeah I don't really care. But the wiki article in question pretty much says what I said.

Posted by Omni

I said progressive folk music because folk music is mainly simplistic and relies primarily on the lyrics of the songs, and progressive rock is all complex and relies a lot on the strength of instrumental performances. It was primarily a joke.

Posted by Philsdad

Just for the record, I saw a Jethro Tull DVD with an interview with Ian Anderson, and he said that Jethro Tull could be considered folk rock, flute rock, and a bunch of other genres. However, he said that they are not progressive rock, and that it worried him a bit when people classed them as that. I guess that would mean progressive folk is out too.

Actual bands are the worst at labeling themselves. They usually wish to be classified as something they aren't, or not as something they are.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Vampiro: Actual bands are the worst at labeling themselves. They usually wish to be classified as something they aren't, or not as something they are.

This is true for the most part, but Ian Anderson always came across to me as quite an intelligent, and articulate man. Jethro Tull has been his creation/vision for 30 years now, so I guess he probably knows more about it than pretty much anyone. Though, I really wish he would have elaborated more when he said that the band isn't prog rock, because it really does share a lot of the elements that other prog bands of that era had.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I prefer music that I enjoy

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Panic: I will listen to just about anything, except gospel and opra. Opra because it's just a bunch of infernal noise, and gospel because I am a nonreligion and I don't agree with what it says. My favorite kinds of music are rap, any kind of rock, and techno/dance music. They get me the most pumped up.

I'm not a religion either, go figure. And since enjoying opera actually requires having a bit of refined taste and being somewhat cultured, I wouldn't expect you to like it. Though, it doesn't help your case much that you can't even spell "opera" correctly, you closed-minded twit.

Anyway, for me: melodic/hard trance, experimental, acid jazz, progressive metal, EBM, IDM, eurodance, speedcore, tribal, futurepop, darkwave, christian gangsta rap, gabber, electro hardcore, drum 'n' bass, gothic techno, industrial, 80's new wave, pre-1995 video game music, psychedelic rock/trance

Posted by Phantasma2

J-rock, Symphonic, Industrial, Speed, Melodic, Death, Black metal. And anything labeled as Extreme.

I also enjoy Darkwave, Trance, Speedcore, Video Game music and Drum 'N Bass. That sadly I don't have much of.

Posted by Gollum

Thrash, Black, and Doom metal. Best subgenres.

Quoted post: This is true for the most part, but Ian Anderson always came across to me as quite an intelligent, and articulate man. Jethro Tull has been his creation/vision for 30 years now, so I guess he probably knows more about it than pretty much anyone. Though, I really wish he would have elaborated more when he said that the band isn't prog rock, because it really does share a lot of the elements that other prog bands of that era had.

It doesn't really matter how intelligent he is because he's looking at it from a personal perspective. He knows what he wants and what he doesn't, and that includes how he's labeled. And that's fine. But still, he's prog rock. No matter what anyone says from the band. It's like they're too attached to it.

Posted by G-Sides

and with that i say who gives a ****, it's just jethro tull

Posted by Brennivin

heavy metal, metalcore, hardcore, hard rock, punk. mostly metalcore.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Vampiro: Pretty sure Jethro Tull is just a progressive rock band with celtic/folk elements and a folk rock era.

That's always what I thought of them as. But they have gone through many changes, so it's kind of hard to label them as any one genre.

I forgot to mention, I'm a complete sucker for anything epic.

Posted by Raptor

[quote]I forgot to mention, I'm a complete sucker for anything epic.

Then suck my epic balls.

As for whether Jethro Tull is progressive folk or progressive rock, what could possibly possess anyone to give a ****? I don't understand people who seem to spend more time arguing over exactly how the music they listen to should be classified than enjoying the music itself.

The music itself is garbage, so the only thing worth arguing over is the genre.

Posted by Omni

I'm sorry that you don't like them, but I don't know that calling it garbage is very fair. In short, I don't think they'd have sold so much if it was garbage. Plus, the Aqualung album is awesome.

Posted by Kit

I'm indifferent to particular genres. As long as it isn't "Pop", most of it is ok with me. Country isn't really big, there may be a song or two I may have enjoyed, but nothing huge. The same really goes for Rap and Classical. In general, I tend to listed to Rock and Metal, mainly.

Quoted post: I'm sorry that you don't like them, but I don't know that calling it garbage is very fair. In short, I don't think they'd have sold so much if it was garbage. Plus, the Aqualung album is awesome.

Look up the word "opinion" and "subjective" when you got time, thanks.

Posted by Shade

Aw man, you beat me to it.

Various sub-genres of rock and metal, for me.

Posted by Zeta

Video game. :cookie:

Posted by Klarth

Oh, and I love C64 chiptunes!

Posted by rivercitytecmo

the only genres i can say that i actually dislike and have spent time listening to are contemporary country, contemporary "rock" (or whatever it is that "rock" bands do nowadays such as lamenting their situations over ****ty guitar/screaming-singing dichotomy), and most metal.

rather than just say that, here are the respective reasons:
-it has been dumbed down incredibly to the point that the music is boring and the lyrics have been microscopically niched to somehow apply to a group of people on the macroscopic level. it's sad that country lyrics have been dumbed down this much. basically, people are morons, and this is the music they listen to.
-no rock band today (that is commerically successful) has the stones to try anything experimental or different. none. and by that, i do not mean "gimmicky". i mean "experimental or different".
also, most lyrics reek of the manufacturing of emotions by a post-modern suburban caucasian society wallowing in perpetual adolescence.
-i'm sure i'll get crucified here for saying this one, but most popular metal (by which i still mean "underground") to me is more about either showing off a "hard" side to someone's personality or more about showing off musical prowess on an instrument rather than actually making something good to listen to. this one i'm definitely open to changing my mind on, though.

Quoted post: -i'm sure i'll get crucified here for saying this one, but most popular metal (by which i still mean "underground") to me is more about either showing off a "hard" side to someone's personality or more about showing off musical prowess on an instrument rather than actually making something good to listen to. this one i'm definitely open to changing my mind on, though.

You're not completely wrong, as there's tons of that kind of metal out there. So it would be silly for anyone to "crucify" you for saying that. but lol i still enjoy the latter thing you mentioned

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I still win this thread

Posted by Hammered On

Metal.

I also like Euro, DnB, trance, hardcore, indie rock, etc.

Pre-post-hardcore >> post-hardcore :p

Posted by CrystalPain

I really like rock, the good stuff like slipknot, ***smack, coal chamber, disturbed, evenescence, hatebreed, korn, etc.

rap music is horrible, I hate rap so much, it's just black guys singing, well not even singing about their ho's and their drugs, all my friends play it unfortunatley

Emo is so gay i can't stand that either

I hate techno too, its just really lame noise, takes no skill to make and ripetative as hell......oh and I can't forget country as well......

Quoted post: I really like rock, the good stuff like slipknot, ***smack, coal chamber, disturbed, evenescence, hatebreed, korn, etc.

rap music is horrible, I hate rap so much, it's just black guys singing, well not even singing about their ho's and their drugs, all my friends play it unfortunatley

I hate techno too, its just really lame noise, takes no skill to make and ripetative as hell......oh and I can't forget country as well......

Ah... haha... ha. That's almost depressing.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting CrystalPain: I really like rock, the good stuff like slipknot, ***smack, coal chamber, disturbed, evenescence, hatebreed, korn, etc.

DRAWING MY LAST BREATH, I NUMBLY DRIVE THE PAIN DEEP DOWN INSIDE THE DARKNESS OF MY TORMENTED HOLLOW SOUL. DARK BLACK DARKNESS BLEAK ABYSS FINAL FANTASY PAIN RAGE DARKNESS

Posted by Omni

Quoting CrystalPain: I really like rock, the good stuff like slipknot, ***smack, coal chamber, disturbed, evenescence, hatebreed, korn, etc.

Isn't some of the music he listed emo music? I might be wrong, because I try not to listen to all that garbage. After all, he did list some gay music, and he was right about emo.

Plus, don't bash rap, which I don't listen to even though I do understand its appeal, country, which I like, and techno, which I can at least appreciate, just because you personally don't get them. Also, I'd love to see you make some listenable techno music if it's so easy...

Posted by rivercitytecmo

to be fair, none of what he listed is emo. that's one thing he actually, didn't screw up.

Yeah, if he did, it would have at least been funny.

Posted by Omni

I had been hoping for some irony, but those are all bands that I don't care enough about to know much of what kind of music they play other than that it mostly sucks. Anyway, anyone who has opinions like that probably does listen to emo music while he cuts himself at night and looks at pictures of ugly goth girls on the internet, too.

Quoted post: Anyway, anyone who has opinions like that probably does listen to emo music while he cuts himself at night and looks at pictures of ugly goth girls on the internet, too.

Or not, since angst and "emo" are completely different things. What's sad about his post is that he thinks those bands are good music, while putting down other music that's actually pretty decent.

Posted by Omni

I don't know enough about it. Anyway, he has some messed up opinions about some things. I still bet he fantasizes about ugly goth girls, though.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

ugly goth girls are every man's fantasy

Posted by Omni

Yeah, unfortunately, even I like them...LOL...

Edit: Yeah, right!

Posted by Raptor

I'm also into music that's very quirky and unusual. On the Sunday of Life by Porcupine Tree has become one of my favourite albums, as well as Estradasphere's Buck Fever. The former doesn't really have much continuity and is rather all over the place, but I embrace that quality, as it's genuinely fun to listen to, especially on the open road. Not to mention, "Radioactive Toy" and "Nine Cats" are splendid tunes to get lost in. And of course, there is all kinds of unique-sounding electronica in my library as well. I don't listen to much plain old rock music anymore, as most of it just sounds too plain and played out to me.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Raptor: I'm also into music that's very quirky and unusual. On the Sunday of Life by Porcupine Tree has become one of my favourite albums, as well as Estradasphere's Buck Fever.

That's awesome man, glad you are getting into Estradasphere. Have you heard their new album yet? In a lot of ways I think it surpasses Buck Fever, although both are amazing albums. Let me know anytime you want to hear some of their other stuff, and I'll send you some.