HALO WARS

Posted by Drewboy64

HALO REAL TIME STRATEGY!
halowars.com

This game BETTER NOT be 360 exclusive, because it would control HORRIBLY. Gotta be for PC.

Posted by maian

I'd be excited, if I ever actually got a time to play Halo all the way through. =/ I've never owned an Xbox, unfortunately.

If it's really good though, I'd possibly buy it for the Computer, if it came out for PC.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sure it was the original idea, but it was a stupid one. Even more so now that it's an FPS. Not interested in the slightest.

Posted by brownoystercult

It wouldn't control HORRIBLY, it has the potential to do very well control-wise. LOTR: BFME II had excellent controls for the 360.

No, it had good controls for a console. After the first-impressions wore off, people realised there was still tons of room for improvement. Maybe Halo Wars can do what Halo did (I guess) to console FPS. Doubt it though.

Posted by Drewboy64

It might not be horrible (I was exaggerating), but it definately wouldn't be anywhere near PC controls.

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't plan on playing this on PC, guys, it only works on Vista.

Posted by Axis

Hell, Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II works really good for 360. It's still one of my most played games to date on the console. Sure there's room for improvement when it comes to RTS games on console, but I'm sure that the game will turn out fine. Besides, the people who made Age of Empires are making this game. I'm personally looking forward to it.

Oh, why the hell is this thread in the Future Systems board? Xbox 360 came out a year ago.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Speedfreak: Don't plan on playing this on PC, guys, it only works on Vista.

Oh ****, I forgot about that.

Anyway, my major fanboyish concern is that I don't want to buy a 360, but I just might eventually for Halo 3 and Halo Wars.

And I forgot that this should be posted in the Xbox forums. Oh well.

Why the hell did they change Master Chief's suit? That's like how they changed Fox's look in Starfox Command. Just keep the original perfect design, **** it.

Posted by Axis

Those 5 Master Cheif's that you saw in the trailer isn't the same one as the actual one you play. They're all different.

Posted by higbvuyb

****, that's why the awesome Halo C&C Generals mod got shut down, because it's basically the same thing.

1. It says you can play as the humans. Which sucks if it's implying that you can't play Covenant.
2. 'Q: Will I be able to play Halo Wars on Xbox 360 and PC?
A: Halo Wars is for the Xbox 360 exclusively. '
#%&#$%&#! Are these people f***ing retarded? All RTSes on consoles suck horribly, no exceptions. It better be released for Vista, and soon after the 360release. And it better be ported well.

Quoted post: Those 5 Master Cheif's that you saw in the trailer isn't the same one as the actual one you play. They're all different.

They aren't even Master Chiefs. 'Master Chief Petty Officer' is a rank. The 'master chief';like people are called SPARTAN-IIs, and the person you play is the highest ranked one, who is a 'Master Chief Petty Officer'. I think I've read the Halo books too much.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, it has to release on PC, but I wish it didn't need Vista.

Also, those 5 spartans aren't the same, I know, but their armor would be the same you'd think.

Oh, and don't worry, I've read the books, too. :p

Posted by Bebop

I've seen some RTS games play on 360 before and they didnt seem to control that bad. I think the Halo universe will be more interesting as a RTS because it clearly wasnt any fun as an FPS.

Posted by cool gamer dad

RTS + console is usually bad, but it may not seem terrible because we won't have a computer version to compare it to.

I laughed at the title, because it's a funny inside joke type-thing.

Posted by Dog

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag51zX5Dbm8]it's going for 360. im not sure about PC though.[/url]

Quoted post: RTS + console is usually bad, but it may not seem terrible because we won't have a computer version to compare it to.

I laughed at the title, because it's a funny inside joke type-thing.

It's Halo. I'm sure, if anything, the gameplay will be pretty decent. Plus, we will have tons to compare it to, like all of the past RTS greats, and the brand new games that are coming out which are supposed to be awesome.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I predicted this like two weeks ago, go me. I have AUDIO EVIDENCE.

Also, Vamp - the 'it's Halo, it'll be awesome' argument doesn't really apply here. Bungie have no real input into it apart from making sure it fits in with the canon.

The 'it's another RTS from the Age of Empires guys, it'll be awesome' argument does work, though. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Stinger]RTS + console is usually bad

The track record for RTSs designed from the ground up for consoles is actually pretty good, Pikmin and Battalion Wars are shining examples.

Quoted post: Also, Vamp - the 'it's Halo, it'll be awesome' argument doesn't really apply here. Bungie have no real input into it apart from making sure it fits in with the canon.

Except I never said it would be awesome. Halo itself is far from awesome in my opinion, it just plays pretty well. But the fact is, it's still Halo. One of the biggest video game franchises. I highly doubt Bungie or MS will allow the developers to do anything that might **** it up for them. I can definitely see both breathing down Ensemble's necks to make sure it's at least good enough to keep their fanbase happy. Plus, it is Ensemble. They aren't the worst developer you could choose. They might not have made anything quite like a Halo game (Age of Empires definitely isn't what you want) but they still know how to make an amazing RTS. That combined with help from Bungie at least guarantees decent gameplay. If not a lot more.

That's pretty much what I just said.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Speedfreak: The track record for RTSs designed from the ground up for consoles is actually pretty good, Pikmin and Battalion Wars are shining examples.

Battalion Wars and Pikmin, RTS games, what

Quoted post: That's pretty much what I just said.

No it's not.

I'm not going to argue this with you, there's no point. But your post basically clarified my points.

Quoting Klarth: Battalion Wars and Pikmin, RTS games, what

They're massive overhauls of the genre, but I'd like to see you argue what other kind of games they were. Although Pikmin holds up to being an RTS more than Battalion Wars.

Posted by Bebop

I haven't played the first Battalion Wars but surely that's more RTS than Pikmin? Unlike Pikmin you can order units to move without your prescnce and attack and stuffffffss. Plus it fits into the general theme of RTS. No pun intended.

LOL NICE PUN

I think the reason I see BW removed from the genre is because you actually control one of the characters at all times. I see RTS games as simply overseeing the action, not being involved in it.

Of course, I've not played one in so long, so I'm probably immensely wrong.

Quoted post: But your post basically clarified my points.

In the sense that you thought something wrong? Yes. I was clarifying your point because it was wrong.

Quoted post:

I think the reason I see BW removed from the genre is because you actually control one of the characters at all times. I see RTS games as simply overseeing the action, not being involved in it.

BW is very much an RTS game. You don't have to be a General for it to be considered an RTS. It just so happens that most games put you in such a role.

Posted by Bebop

I thought in BW you were a general anyway but you were in combat too. or something....

Posted by Klarth

Calling BW a real-time strategy because you strategise in real time is like calling Goldeneye an RPG because you play the role of James Bond.

Posted by Bebop

No. Not really. But I never understood the definiton of RPG because every game gives you a role :-/

Genres are known to stretch.

Is Kirby Cursed Mirror really a platformer because you're creating them rather than jumping to them?
Is Crazy taxi really a racing game because you certainly don't race cars, just time limits?
Is Sonic Adventure 2 really a Sonic game because it certainly doesn't have Sonic in it?

And so forth

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Speedfreak: The track record for RTSs designed from the ground up for consoles is actually pretty good, Pikmin and Battalion Wars are shining examples.

I think he might have been thinking more of something like Starcraft.

Quoted post: Calling BW a real-time strategy because you strategise in real time is like calling Goldeneye an RPG because you play the role of James Bond.

Except BW is actually an RTS.

Posted by Speedfreak

So basically no strategy game can be made for a console unless it's a bad port of a PC RTS that just doesn't suit the input method whatsoever, forming a self-fulfilling prophecy that no console RTS can be good. It must either be bad or not an RTS at all.

I call bull.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: Except BW is actually an RTS.

...No, not really. BW is about as much of an RTS as Star Wars Battlefront.

Sorry, but BW really, really doesn't fit into the RTS mould. At all. :/

I've always seen it credited as a third-person shooter/RTS. So I'll believe that along with my own judgment.

Posted by Bebop

How is BW not a RTS?

This is the trouble you get when people try to classify games into genres.

Posted by Bebop

This is the trouble you get when people try to classify ANYTHING into genres.

I could understand if it was someone saying Katamari was an RPG but come one, BW is so a RTS.

So is Dead Rising an RPG? Is Geometry Wars a shooter or a puzzle?

Genres only really work as a loose classification.

Posted by Bebop

Dead Rising would surely be action adventure. And quite frankly Geometry Wars sounds boring. I have no idea about that one.

And I know "Genres only really work as a loose classification". But there are some examples of games which clearly fit into a genre and it's conventions. Mario is a platformer for instance. Battillion Wars is a RTS :p:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Klarth]...No, not really. BW is about as much of an RTS as Star Wars Battlefront.

Sorry, but BW really, really doesn't fit into the RTS mould. At all. :/

Um, p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]ss off, it's nothing like Battlefront

Quotes from BWii developers:

[quote]The introduction of the Facilities, Barracks, Factories and Docks adds depth, particularly to the multiplayer, so you've got to be more concerned about controlling your territory and allocating troops to guard those areas.

[quote]Map-screen commanding adds another element of control. So now you can order troops via the map screen, which is perfect for players who prefer more of an overview.

[quote]And then there are the Navy units, so we've got Submarines, Battleships, Frigates and Dreadnoughts, and once again they work in a 'paper, scissors, stone' arrangement in terms of tactics. Sometimes you'll be controlling air, sea and land troops all at once so it can get a bit crazy.

Sure as hell doesn't sound like a strategy game to me!

Saying BW isn't an RTS because you can control particular units yourself is like saying Metroid is an FPS because you can shoot in the first person. The game is based around commanding other units, not shooting. You aim with lock ons for G[COLOR=lightgreen]o[/COLOR]d's sake.

Strategy, planning and tactics in real-time are the only focus of the game. It's an RTS by default.

Quoted post: . And quite frankly Geometry Wars sounds boring. I have no idea about that one.

At least you haven't played this one yet, so you opinion isn't completely retarded.

Or is it, since you haven't played it yet? Not sure...

Posted by Bebop

A game named after math can't be terribly exciting. Cock head :p:

I bought it today, and it rocks. Go eat a dick.

Posted by Bebop

Have fun with your queer arse maths game! Ha ha!

I'm going to play Brain Training.

The only thing Geometry Wars has to do with maths is that shapes are involved.

Posted by Bebop

And that's too much math for me. I'm prejudice against shapes.

Quoted post: I game named after math can't be terribly exciting. Cock head

I see what you did there.

Posted by Bebop

....cock head?

[spoiler]Lol I love black people[/spoiler]

Maybe, you sly fox, you.

Posted by Speedfreak

Geometry Wars is pretty overrated. People act like it'll smack away everything on Nintendo's back-catalog. DON'T THINK SO LOL.

I don't think it's overrated at all. It deserves the praise it got. But then again, I haven't heard anyone say it will "smack away everything on Nintendo's back-catalog." People are underestimating the pull of nostalgia.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoted post: [FONT=Book Antiqua]It deserves the praise it got. But then again, I haven't heard anyone say it will "smack away everything on Nintendo's back-catalog."[/FONT]

Listen to darkbackward, he says crazy shit like that all the time. Xbox fanboys like to think mental things like that too.

It's not even as good or addictive as anyone says.

Posted by Shade

I bet Halo Wars will be pretty addictive.

Posted by Speedfreak

RTSs really aren't what you could call "addictive". Single matches tend to take hours. :p

Posted by Klarth

Depends entirely. Brood War on RA2 was ****ing mental depending on the settings.

And then there's Defcon - I played a full game that lasted all of ten minutes last weekend.

Quoted post: Listen to darkbackward, he says crazy **** like that all the time. Xbox fanboys like to think mental things like that too.

Ah, I don't read many of his posts =/

Posted by Speedfreak

How fortunate for you.

Posted by Axis

I didn't even know we had a member called "darkbakward".

Posted by Speedfreak

[URL="http://www.vgchat.com/member.php?u=297"]http://www.vgchat.com/member.php?u=297[/URL]