BANJO KAZOOIE ON THE 360 (X06 news)

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Fresh from X06 - Banjo Kazooie will be available on Xbox 360 (which Major Nelson refers to as Banjo and Kazooie, so it might be a whole new game, not the N64 one downloadable through Arcade)

The original Doom will be available for download on Live Arcade, starting tonight. TONIGHT.
As well as Sensible Soccer, which according to Gamespot is the '94 Amiga version. Available early '07.

Blue Dragon coming to Europe and the US in 2007.

Source: http://www.majornelson.com (xbox.com is down)

Posted by Zeta

I'd be really mad about 360 getting BK if I didn't already have a rom of it. >_>

...oh wai- 360s getting Banjo-Threeie, so I should still be mad.

Posted by Axis

Why the hell would you be mad?

Oh, and this is very good news.

Because Zeta has no 360. :)

Yes, it is very good news. Especially Sensi. Take that, 2006 owners!

Posted by Speedfreak

The last 2 Banjo games weren't that great, Kameo and PDZ havn't exactly bolstered my confidence in the studio. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Though I would if they made a next-gen Blast Corps with cool explosion and building collapse physics. That'd REALLY show off the 360s power.

Posted by maian

I may just sound like a Nintendo fanboy who's made about Rare leaving Nintendo, but I honestly think their latest games have been that great. =/

I do'nt own Banjo Tooie, and a friend let me borrow it. It was very disappointing, from what memories I used to have from it. It was too much like DK64, as in "collect collect collect collect"

BK1 was amazing though. I don't know, if it's a new game, it could be good. But Rare lost most of their thunder after the N64.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: The last 2 Banjo games weren't that great, Kameo and PDZ havn't exactly bolstered my confidence in the studio. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Pretty much what I think. Rare has gone down hill and I doubt BK3 is going to prove to be any better. Oh well.

Posted by Hyper

Ahh, Rare, you're really tempting me to get a 360. :(

I don't think I'd want to play Banjo-Kazooie again. It was fun while it lasted but it wasn't ever very challenging.

It's not the original. It's a third game.

Posted by Hyper

Well, it also said the original was available to download, which was what I was referring to. And if I wouldn't want to play that, I doubt I'd want to play another sequel.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Awesome. If it's a new game in the series, I'll be picking it up.

Quoting Hyper: Well, it also said the original was available to download,

...what did?

Posted by Bebop

This was one of the best Rare games of all time.
This was one of the best N64 games of all time.
This was one of the best games of all time.

Rare had better not mess this up like they did with Conker.

EDIT: Oh Christ no. Oh Christ. I just saw the trailer and they look ugly.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Speedfreak]Though I would if they made a next-gen Blast Corps with cool explosion and building collapse physics. That'd REALLY show off the 360s power.
Earth Defense Forces 3. I made a thread in the XB board.

I thought BK and BT were both pretty fantastic. When I wind up getting a 360 this is going to be one of my must-haves.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Klarth]Earth Defense Forces 3. I made a thread in the XB board.

I thought BK and BT were both pretty fantastic. When I wind up getting a 360 this is going to be one of my must-haves.

That game has nothing to do with Blast Corps. I hate you forever for getting my hopes up.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
I really enjoyed banjo kazooie on the N64. It was fun...and a bit similar to donkey kong 64. It surprises me that it won't end up on the Wii, but what the hell. As long as the game remains fun on the 360, I'll give it a try :)
[/COLOR]

Banjo looks like they tried to make it seem like the N64 model was actually as they intended him to look. :p

Kazooie (or 'Kazui', apparently) looks fine.

Posted by Speedfreak

Banjo has a curved nose in the N64 model. WHAT HAPPEN.

Wait, does he? Will's memory fails again.

It'd be kind of okay if it was a bit thinner and the black bit didn't stick straight up into the air. I mean, what?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Speedfreak]
That game has nothing to do with Blast Corps. I hate you forever for getting my hopes up.
COLLAPSING BUILDINGS!

Posted by Arczu

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Arczu/3DArt/BK360.jpg[/IMG]
Here's a picture from the trailer.

I have to agree that Banjo looks a bit weird. You should watch it though if you are a bit curious. As for the game itself, I'm exited. I liked BK and BT, though I don't know about Grunty's Revenge or Racing.

Even if Rare is not with Nintendo anymore, I really don't think they would screw up Banjo, considering how much of of success the game(s) were.

Posted by Klarth

Could this be the first great Rare game since they were bought by Microsoft? I think so!

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Arczu: I don't know about Grunty's Revenge.[/size][/font]

It was wank. That's all you need to know.

Quoted post: I really enjoyed banjo kazooie on the N64. It was fun...and a bit similar to donkey kong 64.

You have that reversed. BK was out a year earlier than DK.

Come on, Kameo wasn't that bad.

It wasn't great either. Wasn't even that fun.

Posted by Breakman

Wow, I seriously loved B-K for N64. B-T was good, too, but B-K was the better of the two in my personal opinion, and among my favorite adventure/platformers of all time. Starfox fanboyishness be ****ed, it was stuff like that that made me wish stuff had happened like Dinosaur Planet being completed as its own game and Rare not jetting outta there after that whole Starfox Adventures fiasco.

That trailer looked awesome--though Banjo's face needs to be hit very, very hard with a war maul a few hundred times or so, his overall body and Kazooie as a whole look great, all the other graphics were fine,t he music was a blast fromt he past, and the area behind the door being Spiral Mountain really made me start to drool with glee... if that even makes any sense. I love how Tooie started off at the same place as the first, and it'd be kickin' if Threeie (if it's even called that) shared locales as well. Maybe they'd finally put that ice key and ??? egg crap from the first one's secret ending to use? Oh man oh man, that would probably get me to grab a 360 right there.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Klarth: Could this be the first great Rare game since they were bought by Microsoft? I think so!

Ain't that the truth. Even their departing gift for Nintendo was crap. Starf Adventures was the first sign of a never ending facotry line of ****.

Posted by Zeta

Banjo and Kazooie look completely ****ed up in that trailer pic. I don't want to see what Mumbo and Grunty look like.

... Wai- Grunty is nothing but a one-eyed skull now lol

I like how MS and Rare seemed to revive this is hopes of everyone getting excited, yet, it seems no one gives a ****. Awesome.

Posted by maian

Banjo looks really lame.

...But I still want it. :( Spiral Mountain was beautiful. I want Rare back on Nintendo. >:|

Why? So they can release subpar IPs on the Wii after a few years of development and delays while everyone sits around not caring?

So that Goldeneye can get that little bit closer to being released on the Virtual Console.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Vampiro: I like how MS and Rare seemed to revive this is hopes of everyone getting excited, yet, it seems no one gives a ****. Awesome.

Seems to me that at the other places I post everyone is excited about it.

Posted by maian

Quoting Vampiro: Why? So they can release subpar IPs on the Wii after a few years of development and delays while everyone sits around not caring?

No, so I can actually own some of their games and play them without spending $400 on a console. :)

Our family is broke, and it's very hard for me to get money. ;| Once I get a job, it'll get better. But for now, any money that even goes toward games goes to my highest priority, which is the Wii.

Basically, I won't be getting an XB360 or any Rare games with it for a loooong time. =/

Posted by Last Fog

**** this. **** Rare.

I'll believe its worthwhile when I play it, and I doubt it will be. Rare hasnt done jack**** since they teamed with MS. Quite frankly I'm sick of their crap.

Posted by Pit

Triler looked awesome, and they made banjo look like a bear/hick, isn't that what he is anyways?

Quoted post: Seems to me that at the other places I post everyone is excited about it.

I've seen no excitment.

Quoted post: Basically, I won't be getting an XB360 or any Rare games with it for a loooong time. =/

As said, Rare sucks now. You're not missing much.

Posted by Bebop

I could probably get used to Banjo looking retarded. If I can like Snake looking like a pirate eventually then I'm sure I can enjoy the presence of an incestual bear.

Posted by Last Fog

Didn't banjo always look retarded?

Posted by maian

You decide.

Point is, he looks a lot more retarded in this picture. I could get used to it. It's just a shame that I won't be able to play it, unless by sheer luck I get an XB360 on my birthday or something.

Posted by Last Fog

He looks equally stupid and cartooney to me.

Posted by maian

A) LOOKING CARTOONEY IS NOT A FSCKING SIN

B) Well, yeah, he does kinda look stupid. If you watch the video though, it's better.

Posted by Pit

He now matches his personality, I don't see the big deal. I dig the new look for both characters because, like previously said, it's more "them" than what the N64 had stored. in fact, every game by rare, all characters kinda had the same smile, look and style to them. This is way better.

Posted by Bebop

Banjo just looks menacing and scary.

Posted by Linko_16

I knew I'd eventually regret Microsoft getting ahold of Rare, though it took longer than I thought it would.

Man, I'm mad now. :(

Posted by Apathetic

Oh man, I wish I had a 360 now :(. Kudos to people with them though.

Quoted post: I knew I'd eventually regret Microsoft getting ahold of Rare, though it took longer than I thought it would.

Man, I'm mad now.

I wouldn't blame MS for this =/

Posted by Klarth

I liiiiiike Banjo's new look :(

Posted by Last Fog

I can't believe people now want a 360 for this of all things. I don't expect this to be anything more than an average platformer. After all, what was so great about the others? It was just that 3D platforming was new at the time and it opened up a free 3D world to explore. This is gonna be nothing more than bigger levels and prettier graphics. Look at Kameo, that had hype and its just mediocre. And the perfect dark sequal was a let-down as well, so I've heard.

Posted by Bebop

Banjo Kazooie still is one of the best 3D platformers to date. Recent attempts at the genre like crash, jack and Daxter and Rayman have been, at best, barely decent when compared to this. like mario 64 it defined the genre. it was an excellent game. It wasn't excellent because it was a rather newish genre example. it was excellent because that's how it played. If you bad mouth banjo kazooie again I'll kill your mum.

Posted by Last Fog

It WAS a great game. It WAS genre defining. Now it's gonna be no more than average if they do more of the same. And judging from Rare's recent efforts, I have little hope for anything revolutionary.

Posted by Zeta

I lost a lot of faith in Rare when they changed the music in the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3.

srsly, wtf was with that?

This is like another Duke Nukem game. Irrelevant and unneeded. Yet, people will still buy it because it's Duke Nukem.

Posted by Last Fog

If by irrelevant and unneeded you mean redundant and mediocre, then yes, I couldn't have said it better.

Nah, I said what I meant. But yeah, those too.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Zeta: I lost a lot of faith in Rare when they changed the music in the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3.

srsly, wtf was with that?

It was revealed that when the original music was played backwards, it sounded like explicit poetry that was innappropriate for the age group the game was targeted at.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Last Fog: It WAS a great game. It WAS genre defining. Now it's gonna be no more than average if they do more of the same. And judging from Rare's recent efforts, I have little hope for anything revolutionary.

BK's gameplay doesn't get worse over time because it was a really good game. It's not a GTA installment. just like how the original Mario Kart doesn't just suddenly get crap because of the year it was made. I'm excited about this because I honestly can't see how Rare could mess this up.

Apparently PDZ doesn't exist in your universe.

Posted by s0ul

I'm curious as to what was so bad about Kameo. To this day the only 360 games with anything on it are DOA and Dead Rising and those are both very good games.

Kameo wasn't... bad. It just wasn't anything worth talking about.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Apparently PDZ doesn't exist in your universe.

No. It doesnt. And that's a good thing. I recommend you forgret about PDZ too. It makes Rare seem capable again.

If only it were that simple. The single-player left me with such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't believe I'll ever forget the experience. It was terrible.

Posted by Bebop

That's my situation with Halo 1 and 2. They raped my mind :(

Yes, I still struggle with those memories to this day. I feel for you, man. I feel for you.

Posted by s0ul

Even Halo's campaign seems good up against PDZ. That was among the worst games I've ever played.

Posted by Bebop

Fortunately my encounter with the diabolical PDZ was limited. But I find it hard to beleive it can be worse than Halos. The only way for me to know is to play it. But I'm not willing to put myself through so much pain.

Oh, it's worse than all the Halos combined. And then some.

Posted by Bebop

Viva Pinata's gameplay has been described as a cross between Pikmin and Animal Crossing, 2 of my favorite games. So I'm very interested in it. Naturally though Rare's new track record has me worried. I'm going to see how Viva turns out before I decide if Banjo is something worth looking forward too.

Posted by Last Fog

Wait, Rare's developing Viva Pinata?

Posted by Bebop

yes

Who else would develop it? Rare is MS' new kiddy developer.

Posted by s0ul

Heh, I had no idea. I'm not sure I'm okay with people knowing that I've played it now that everyone can see it on my GAMERCARD!!!

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting s0ul: Heh, I had no idea. I'm not sure I'm okay with people knowing that I've played it now that everyone can see it on my GAMERCARD!!!
What? It's not even out yet.

Posted by s0ul

Future tense get!

Posted by Speedfreak

Yet another problem I have with that absolutely ridiculous online feature. Gamercards blow.

What? Gamercards are a great idea. It's Gamerscore that's questionable.

Quoted post: Yet another problem I have with that absolutely ridiculous online feature. Gamercards blow.

What's wrong with them exactly?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Wings]What? Gamercards are a great idea. It's Gamerscore that's questionable.

It's all under the same package. Gamerscore goes on the Gamercard, yes?

Reasons why Gamerscore is dumb:

1) Every game for 360 must have the same amount of points. A huge, difficult game will offer less points per achievement than an easy game with one achievement.

2) Games like Zelda shouldn't have a score attatched, what is this bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it? A developer like Nintendo shouldn't have to be forced to give it one (if you're thick, I'm using Zelda and Nintendo as an example).

3) I don't want the planet to know how far I am in my games, thanks. Nor do I want to be tricked into playing crappy game more than I would out of some animalistic urge to check every box.

4) That's some next-gen Xbox Live evolution you've got there. Think maybe you could scrap all the useless bull and make it free instead? Didn't think so.

If any of the above is wrong then I place the blame squarely on Wings.

You don't have to pay for Live to get Gamerscore, but meh.

Gamerscore goes on the Gamercard, but I like being able to see what games other people are palying, and I like the sense of competition it gives. I like being able to show people that I'm further in a certain game than they are. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Then why not give it to people who actually want it, rather than forcing people who don't want their private gaming sessions to become a competition?

That's why it's shit, Microsoft can't get past the concept that all videogamers are aggressive fratboys who want to kick ass ALL THE TIME..

Quoted post: If any of the above is wrong then I place the blame squarely on Wings.

Wrong in the sense that it's all your opinion which means next to nothing? Yeah. Believe it or not, achievements are a pretty good idea. I wouldn't call it being "tricked into playing a crappy game" but I get more out of it. Plus, developers are actually being clever with points now. Which makes all the difference. As for not letting people see how far you are in a game, so what? I don't see the issue with that at all. Plus, Live will obviously be free once the PS3/Wii/Vista is out. That's a given. Why not make money on it while you have the chance, though?

I do find myself playing games more because of Achievements. I know I'd have put down Texas Hold'em ages ago were it not for that. On the flipside, once I've got all 200 points in an Arcade game, it falls by the wayside - I still have a few things to do in Cloning Clyde, but there's no incentive any more.

But I don't feel like I'm being forced. I enjoy playing games more. :)

Quoted post: But I don't feel like I'm being forced. I enjoy playing games more.

Agreed. Plus, it lets me do things I normally wouldn't so. What's up, Dead Rising?

Well. It feels like a chore to jump the bike however far, but not to whack 'em around with a parasol. I think if Achievements were invisible and you unlocked them by accident, it could be better. That'd actually reward you for doing awesome stuff, as opposed to deliberately doing it to get points.

nah, I'd rather it be a goal I work towards. Because chances are I'd never unlock 3/4 of them if I had no idea what the achievement was.

But that's a good thing, because that then makes it a truer measure of skill than it is now.

Not really, it's just a measure of dedication. It already takes skill to get some achievements. It would just be needlessly frustrating until a developer leaks the achievement or someone posts them on the web. Then it'll be no different.

Though, keep in mind, there's already secret achievements. Those i don't have a problem with. One or two out of fifty is cool. But all of them is a little too much. For me anyways.

Posted by Last Fog

Gamerscore being forced on gamers? Wow, thats one of the dumbest complaints I've heard in a while. What exactly is being forced? A little number next to your tag that you could just pay no attention to if you don't care for it.

Achievements are great, like Vampiro said, they give you incentive to do things in games you wouldn't normally do, and I have a lot of fun getting some of them. Others are stupid, so I ignore them. I know people who never even look at their own achievement list, and so they only have a few hundred points, and so what? They don't care and no one else does either. Simple. And as for a gamercard card in general, it adds a nice bit of personality to the experience.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Wrong in the sense that it's all your opinion which means next to nothing? Yeah. Believe it or not, achievements are a pretty good idea. I wouldn't call it being "tricked into playing a crappy game" but I get more out of it. Plus, developers are actually being clever with points now. Which makes all the difference. As for not letting people see how far you are in a game, so what? I don't see the issue with that at all. Plus, Live will obviously be free once the PS3/Wii/Vista is out. That's a given. Why not make money on it while you have the chance, though?

OIC, I'm not allowed to be angry with MS forcing crap on me that I don't want if you don't want it. My opinion isn't a valid one when it's on a subjective subject and you've specifically asked for it.

It's not exactly a burden.

Quoted post: OIC, I'm not allowed to be angry with MS forcing crap on me that I don't want if you don't want it. My opinion isn't a valid one when it's on a subjective subject and you've specifically asked for it.

how about ignoring it like just about everyone else? It's really only a personal thing that's sometimes nice to use when you want to compare games. Nothing more. Plus, the gamercard itself allows for a bit more info to be shared when in online games, not to mention it allows you to jump from one game and join someone else you met a few days ago. It's handy and completely ignorable.