Altar (Boris / Sunn O))) / Earth collaboration)

Posted by Klarth

http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=131078

1. Etna 09:51
2. N.L.T. 03:49
3. The Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep) 07:37
4. Akuma No Kuma 07:52
5. Fried Eagle Mind 09:47
6. Blood Swamp 14:46
7. Her Lips Were Wet With Venom 28:00

Coming October 31st. If it sounds anything like Flood, then I am going to be one happy guy. Last track featuring Dylan Carlson!

Posted by Richaod

Sounds bowel-evacuatingly interesting. Would you recommend Flight of the Behemoth as a good starting point for a Sunn O))) newbie?

Posted by Shin-Ra

The whole "bowel" thing is stupid and people who talk about it need to kill themselves. Anyway, Black One or White2 would be much more appropriate starting points.

Earth had something to do with this? News to me. It's a decent release, much less droney and more "driven" than say... Flight of the Behemoth. Still, I'm not a big fan of Sunn by any means. Actually, if it wasn't for their involvement with Malefic, Wrest and Attila, I'm pretty sure I'd ignore them (Black One excluded).

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Richaod]Sounds bowel-evacuatingly interesting. Would you recommend Flight of the Behemoth as a good starting point for a Sunn O))) newbie?
I wouldn't recommend them at all. Honestly, I think they're pretty horrible.

[quote=Shin-Ra]Earth had something to do with this? News to me.
Last track.

And wait, you've heard it already? How is it (in general)?

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Klarth:
And wait, you've heard it already? How is it (in general)?

Like I said, I like Sunn for their involvement with some of my favorite black metal musicians, none of which are present on this release. That in combination with me not liking Drone makes my opinion probably not what you're looking for. Vamp is be the better choice to answer this.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

lol old'd. I downloaded that **** the second it hit the net back in August some time.

Quoted post: And wait, you've heard it already? How is it (in general)?

Excellent. I mean, it's so ****ing good it's not even funny. Not only is the combination fantastic and compliment each other, but you can distinctly hear elements from both bands. The earthy, dark atmosphere of Sunn and the stoner rock-influenced drone of Boris are both present, both played together, and both sound so **** good as one.

Quoted post: Would you recommend Flight of the Behemoth as a good starting point for a Sunn O))) newbie?

Sunn newb, or drone newb? If it's the latter, start with EARTH. If you're a Nirvana fan, they're an even better choice (if only for that one song.) If it's the former, start with Black1. It's a good example of what to expect from future Sunn, while hearing everything that brought them to the point they're currently at. Plus, it has both Malefic and Wrest as guests. Which is just awesome. Oh, and it's their first album to contain vocals. Which, for a drone newb (I assume) might help a ton. Even if they are near suicidal black vocals.

Oh, and I took the liberty of uploading a track. It's "The Sinking Belle" which is probably a very bad example of what I said above, but it's jsut a beautiful song that I think anyone can enjoy. You hear basically no Sunn, a bit of Boris, but mostly EARTH. Very calming vocals.

http://www.vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=405752&postcount=149

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: The whole "bowel" thing is stupid and people who talk about it need to kill themselves.

Better that than practically emo...

[quote=Vampiro]Sunn newb, or drone newb? If it's the latter, start with EARTH. If you're a Nirvana fan, they're an even better choice (if only for that one song.) If it's the former, start with Black1. It's a good example of what to expect from future Sunn, while hearing everything that brought them to the point they're currently at. Plus, it has both Malefic and Wrest as guests. Which is just awesome. Oh, and it's their first album to contain vocals. Which, for a drone newb (I assume) might help a ton. Even if they are near suicidal black vocals.
I'm pretty new to drone/sludge/funeral doom (obviously not the same thing) in general. A Nirvana cover? Interesting. Thanks for uploading that track too - I'll be sure to get it.

Posted by Klarth

Cult of Luna are a good entry point. :)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: Cult of Luna are a good entry point. :)

Oh, so you got over their singer? I'm not new to post-hardcore, that's for sure. :p

Concerning (progressive) sludge, have you heard the new Mastodon album? You'd love it...

Posted by Klarth

Blood Mountain ist krieg

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Richaod: Better that than practically emo...

What the fuck is that supposed to imply?

Quoting Richaod:
I'm pretty new to drone/sludge/funeral doom (obviously not the same thing) in general. A Nirvana cover? Interesting. Thanks for uploading that track too - I'll be sure to get it.

Is it a cover, or does it just have Kurt on vocals? I'm not familiar enough with Nirvana to know, nor do I ever plan to be; but I'm still curious.

Quoted post: I'm pretty new to drone/sludge/funeral doom (obviously not the same thing) in general. A Nirvana cover? Interesting. Thanks for uploading that track too - I'll be sure to get it.

**** a cover. Kurt does backing vocals. It's the only thing I've ever liked by him, mainly because he actually sounds really good in the song and adds a lot to it.

Quoted post: Cult of Luna are a good entry point.

nah. Pelican, to Cult of Luna, to Year of No Light or Isis, to Mouth of the Architect. From there you can jump into EARTH, head over to Funeral, then get into Doom/Drone like Sunn.

That's a path I'd recommend, but I wouldn't bother if I were you. Rather, just download them all and go in whatever order.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: What the fuck is that supposed to imply?

Suicide reminds me of wristslitting, which reminds me of emos. Doesn't really make sense, I know. It doesn't matter.

[quote=Vampiro]nah. Pelican, to Cult of Luna, to Year of No Light or Isis, to Mouth of the Architect. From there you can jump into EARTH, head over to Funeral, then get into Doom/Drone like Sunn.

That's a path I'd recommend, but I wouldn't bother if I were you. Rather, just download them all and go in whatever order.
Cool. I've heard Pelican, Cult of Luna, Isis and Neurosis and I like them all, so I should be all set.