In need of advice

Posted by Larry The Great

I need some advice on getting more members to my forum. I started it a long time ago and still have almost no members. Any advice on what I should do? The link to my forum is in my sig.

Posted by Linkman

*moved to Computers and Technology forum*

Populating a website isn't easy. If you know HTML, you can stick Meta tags in your header giving keywords and a description of the site.

[html]

[/html]

^ those are meta tags. But, a more effective way is to find someone who knows SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

Posted by Larry The Great

I know there is a way to list sites on Yahoo and Google, how do I do this?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Linkman: But, a more effective way is to find someone who knows SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

Ask Jesse, he's a expert on SEO.

Posted by KoH

Best and easiest method for SEO newbies is to get sites that are ranked highly in search engines to link to your website. It'll be tough but I'm sure you can find some mutual partnership websites. Be careful though which ones you have link to you.

SEO is all about patience and making the right moves. **** up and you'll be on the bottom forever. But if you make the right moves and you could easily gain popularity. That is, of course, assuming you have a website worth people noticing.

Btw, for your site I highly suggest word-of-mouth. Tell friends to spread the word and those friends will tell their friends. I just checked out your site and it doesn't seem to have too much on it so maybe some initiative would benefit you as well.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Larry The Great]I know there is a way to list sites on Yahoo and Google, how do I do this?
To add your website into Google's database for one of their spiders to crawl: http://www.google.com/addurl/

To add your website into Yahoo!'s database for one of their spiders to crawl: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

Posted by KoH

Trigger, don't ****ing encourage him.

Think about this probability:

The main reason he made this thread was to advertise his own forum on VGC without actually making it seem like he did.

Posted by Trigger

As if his contribution to the Internet will make any difference anyway. Just because he adds himself to a couple of search engines doesn't mean he'll be a popular result. You won't even notice the difference between his website now and his website after I encouraged him. Besides, the Internet needs more things to laugh at, why shouldn't I encourage him?

Posted by KoH

I think you're plenty to laugh at. :)

Posted by Trigger

When I own you, yes.

'CAUSE I OWN N00BS AT EVERY GAME THAT YOU PLAAAY.
Even when you tag-team with your mum.

Posted by KoH

My mommy can beat your mommy.

Posted by Trigger

That's because you mum was a man before her operation.

Posted by KoH

You were a man before your operation. :)

Posted by Trigger

Shut up, son.

Posted by RebelGamer137

As they said, add urls to Google and Yahoo.

Posted by Trigger

Great. Now next time you feel the urge to give the same advice as that which I gave, oh, three months ago, stop yourself from doing so! There is no need for you to bring up an old thread from several months ago only to agree with someone or say what they did. Your opinion isn't that needed or important, so don't confuse yourself into thinking you're that special.