PS3 games to cost $75+

Posted by Klarth

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734950p1.html

8800-9800 Yen range, which translates as $75-$85. And let's not forget that it's still cheaper in Japan, so over in the UK (after being inevitably raised first above JP and then above US prices) we could be seeing PS3 games retailing at

Posted by Arcadios

Wow.
When will it stop?

Posted by Bebop

Isnt 70 dollars the normal price for games in America?

That would be gay if true but it wont be. I expect games costing 50 quid or up to 60 initially.

Posted by Arcadios

It's normally $50 in the US.

Posted by Bebop

Oh well that changes everything. I must be thinking of Australia. Or Canada...

Posted by Gollum

Sony really are shooting themselves in the foot.

Posted by Bebop

No they are not. They could charge $100 a game and people would still buy it.

Posted by Klarth

Parents wouldn't.

Posted by Gollum

Speaking for myself, if I found out that the PS3 was going to cost as much as it's rumoured to be, I wouldn't buy it.

That isn't to say, however, that other people wouldn't either. That's just what I would do, and therefore, think that it's too expensive.

Posted by Klarth

It's not "rumoured to be" anything. It's launching at US $499 and $599.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Klarth: Parents wouldn't.

If its what your whiney kid wants for Christmas I'm sure they could get the **** a console. Kids are dumb and parents are suckers.

Posted by Klarth

Parents should obviously be more strict.

Posted by Bebop

Parents should give their kids decent meals and teach them how to talk but alot obviously dont. For an example look at the lower class :p:

Posted by Axis

Well we know that all PS3 titles won't be over 75 dollars in America. Activision have already stated that their games would go for 60 dollars, the same amount as Xbox 360 games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733047p1.html

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: If its what your whiney kid wants for Christmas I'm sure they could get the **** a console. Kids are dumb and parents are suckers.

Theres a limit though. I could whine and beg all I want but Im not getting a hummer for christmas.

Now the Ps3 will cost about $600-700 with only one game and the basic pack.

This will hurt sony a lot.

Posted by Fate

The price drop for the console was for the system only, but I thought games were more expensive in Japan than in the US.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting TendoAddict: Theres a limit though. I could whine and beg all I want but Im not getting a hummer for christmas.

That's the ****ing worst analogy I've ever heard. If a kid's getting a 600 dollar games console I somehow doubt his parents are above spending a lot of money on games too.

[quote]Now the Ps3 will cost about $600-700 with only one game and the basic pack.

This will hurt sony a lot.

YOU DONT KNOW THAT THATS ONLY SPECULATION LOL DONT TALK ABOUT THINGS IN THE FUTURE CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM LOLOL

Christ man, you're worse than Drewboy.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: It's normally $50 in the US.

59.99 plz. Ten dollar increase is quite a bit. And really, there's only two games that are worth that: MGS and Ninja Gaiden.

But hey, it's not like we haven't paid this price before. I remember paying eighty bucks for carts.

Posted by TendoAddict

[QUOTE=s0ul]...

That's the ****ing worst analogy I've ever heard.

It wasnt supposed to be a anology, it was a counter point to Bebops idea.

"If its what your whiney kid wants for Christmas I'm sure they could get the **** a console. Kids are dumb and parents are suckers."

He said that it was a basic grabby kid to lazy parent shutting them up. Sure it sounds like it always works but price is a factor. Thus me giving the hummer statement, a bit exstream but I think it made a point. If you dont like it fine by me.

[quote]If a kid's getting a 600 dollar games console I somehow doubt his parents are above spending a lot of money on games too.

Im pretty sure we were talking about the whole kit and caboodle, where as the $75-85 games are a big factor for the over all price of the system (assuming people like games with gaming systems ofcourse)

Even if the parent is willing to buy the systems having games priced as they are will affect how many games they buy. Just because a dad buys his kid a system doesnt mean he will buy games on a whim.

[quote]YOU DONT KNOW THAT THATS ONLY SPECULATION LOL DONT TALK ABOUT THINGS IN THE FUTURE CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM LOLOL

Oh hell caps lock Im afraid now, your oviously much more superior.

But seriously.

Theres a difference between warning people , lets say, not to judge how good Far cry will look on 5 screen shots to saying if a price raise in a basic item will hurt sales.

Its not exactly hard to see how this can hurt sony.

But I guess the only real way is to see for ourselves.

Posted by s0ul

I'm not really sure what any of that said but I'm going to maintain that you are a *******.

Posted by Random

HOLY EXPENSIVE ****

Posted by higbvuyb

So, PS3 games will cost about $150 to $200 in Australia at launch. Another reason to not buy a PS3, anyway, I never buy games more than $40.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting s0ul: I'm not really sure what any of that said but I'm going to maintain that you are a *******.

Im so glad we could have this little debate. Might I add that your counter points were well thought out.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting TendoAddict: Im so glad we could have this little debate. Might I add that your counter points were well thought out.

In my defense, I don't know what the hell you said. What I could read didn't argue with what I said. I mean, I could try, I guess... if I must.

[quote]Im pretty sure we were talking about the whole kit and caboodle, where as the $75-85 games are a big factor for the over all price of the system (assuming people like games with gaming systems ofcourse)

Yeah see, if you can afford a $600 system, you can afford the games. If not, you won't be buying the system in the first place and the game price wouldn't have mattered anyway.

[quote]Theres a difference between warning people , lets say, not to judge how good Far cry will look on 5 screen shots to saying if a price raise in a basic item will hurt sales.

Its not exactly hard to see how this can hurt sony.

But I guess the only real way is to see for ourselves.

You can't say "don't judge too much based on things you're not sure of" in some situations and not in others, especially not in a situation where this $75+ game stuff wasn't even true, whereas you can clearly look at Far Cry and go "Hm, this game looks someone took an out-of-focus **** on it."

Then again, the "no speculation" rule only applies to Nintendo, huh?

And for the general benefit of the board, argue in English from now on.

Posted by Drewboy64

i thought they confirmed games were 70-100?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting s0ul: In my defense, I don't know what the hell you said.

Witty, especially form the guy who posted

"YOU DONT KNOW THAT THATS ONLY SPECULATION LOL DONT TALK ABOUT THINGS IN THE FUTURE CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM LOLOL "

[quote]Yeah see, if you can afford a $600 system, you can afford the games. If not, you won't be buying the system in the first place and the game price wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Just because you can afford a PS3 doesnt mean the price of the game does not matter, If you think it doesnt then shame on you. You just group people into two Fictional catagorys of people who can buy a ps3 and ones who cannot. You seem to think just having a ps3 grants the ability to neglect game prices. In the real world there is a whole spectrum of buyers. For example where might be low income people who save their money for a ps3 and can buy less, or people who are middle class and can save faster and buy more.

Its price will affect many peoples choice on weather or not to buy a game. It changes from buyer to buyer. But the newly announced game price will hurt sony in one way or another.

[quote]You can't say "don't judge too much based on things you're not sure of" in some situations and not in others, especially not in a situation where this $75+ game stuff wasn't even true, whereas you can clearly look at Far Cry and go "Hm, this game looks someone took an out-of-focus **** on it."

A) You can say "don't judge too much based on things you're not sure of" in different situations. It just depends on how much information you have. You can say "Dont count your chickens before they hatch" when others put too much stock on weak information. You cant really say it when you know some thing obvious.

I know around this board those words my get on peoples nerves (especially Vamps), But really I just want to help.

B) The $75 games not true? Did you even read Klarths artical? We all know the cost of producing a ps3 game is higher then last generation. By default the price will rise. Since we know the price will rise I can tell that this will hurt sony in some way or another. Its simple economics and knowing Sonys customer base.

C) In the far cry topic Vamp posted all of 5 pictures. Is it a crime to say its not really good to judge a games look on a few pictures. Sure they are bad but honsetly I think people are making a mountin out of a mole hills.

Quoted post: Then again, the "no speculation" rule only applies to Nintendo, huh?

A low blow that has nothing to do with the topic? Good job.

But while were on the topic of Nintendo, I belive the price of Nintendo 64 games helped Ninty loose the one spot. This seems like a case of history repeating itself.

[quote]And for the general benefit of the board, argue in English from now on.

for my benifit and everyone elses you could try and fill your points with less low blows and cuss words and more facts.

Anyways, I'm done here. Nothing more can be gained by our little debate. You can reply if you want but I dont really care. All I can say is that it was ,for lack of a better word, special.

Posted by s0ul

More like, you got owned heavy. Quitter.

Posted by TendoAddict

What ever floats your boat. If you want to say you won this debate go ahead, you can even tell your friends! I stopped giving a crap long ago.

Quoted post: i thought they confirmed games were 70-100?

No, they just said, basically, "lol well, if a game happens to be 99 dollars, so be it!"

Posted by s0ul

Quoting TendoAddict: What ever floats your boat. If you want to say you won this debate go ahead, you can even tell your friends! I stopped giving a crap long ago.

...it isn't a competition. I'm not going to argue with you if you're going to make a big deal about it. It's a debate about PS3 games on a forum about video games, in a board about future systems. I don't think I'm out of line in arguing with you; don't be such a schoolgirl about it.

Edit: unless you are in fact a hot chick, then be a schoolgirl all you please. On webcam.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]I don't think I'm out of line in arguing with you; don't be such a schoolgirl about it.

But your post are full of low blows , cusses, and Miss information. I would love to debate with you but every you post seems to be a insult to me. Even now you call me a school girl. Im not afraid of a debate, but I see nothing postiive that can come out of it.

Posted by Echo

$75+ is lame. Nowadays I never spend more than $30 on a game. Around launches that normally changes, of course, but I still never spend more than $60.

When I was a kid, no way would my parents spend that much on a single gift. I got an N64 a year or so after it was released, and a GCN the Christmas after launch, and the two of those together are still cheaper than a base system PS3. This year they won't even get me a Wii, so I'm gonna have to buy it myself. Not all parents spoil their kids to that extent.

Third party games were confirmed to be $59.99. Whether that holds up, who knows.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting TendoAddict: But your post are full of low blows , cusses, and Miss information. I would love to debate with you but every you post seems to be a insult to me. Even now you call me a school girl. Im not afraid of a debate, but I see nothing postiive that can come out of it.

...what positive comes from any posts? YOU MAKE NO SENSE

Rerail:Also, this doesn't affect me at all so I guess I don't really care.

Posted by Fate

Gaming is an expensive lifestyle. It had to go up eventually. :(

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Princess Fate: Gaming is an expensive lifestyle. It had to go up eventually. :(

Not necessarily. Prices could, you know, drop (if new technologies weren't being shoved on us, anyway).

Quoted post: Not necessarily. Prices could, you know, drop (if new technologies weren't being shoved on us, anyway).

And thank *** they are!

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, I don't mind new technologies or anything. It's just the fact that games wouldn't cost so much if regular DVDs were still going to be the standard.

Of course, 360 games are on standard DVDs (right?), and they're $60, so blah.

Some N64 games cost eighty bucks. So sixty isn't bad. Just stop buying ****ty games you can probably beat in a rental. Problem solved.

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, but they were cartridges. See how the advancement of technology from cartridge to standard DVD lowered the price? Well, why couldn't that trend continue? Oh, right, because we have to go back to a more complex way of doing things.

Right, but I'm saying it's cheaper now then it was. So what's the big deal? Sixty bucks isn't asking a whole lot. Sure, fifty would be nice. But it's only a ten dollar increase. Not much.

Posted by Fate

I'm not sure about this, but I thought the price speculation was for Japan. I'm pretty sure software is more expensive there, so wouldn't our range be a little lower? $60 sounds pretty reasonable, seeing as how 360 games cost that much.

Posted by Pit

See, but did you hear Sony is making all developers make the game over 400 hours long, so like a game should last you like a year and stuff I read this on the internet.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: I'm not sure about this, but I thought the price speculation was for Japan. I'm pretty sure software is more expensive there, so wouldn't our range be a little lower? $60 sounds pretty reasonable, seeing as how 360 games cost that much.

Well the artical said it was around 8800-9800 yen. Plus their was an earlier artical that that had Sony saying not to be shocked if games are that costly.

So it all seems to point to the bad end of the scale.

EDIT:

Vamp said Ps3 3rd party games are $60, so its not that bad since sony is mostly 3rd party games.

It makes sence why they are too.

In america Sony will most often be fighting The X-box 360 (If anything The bigger threat is the Wii but the way Ninty set up the whole Wii package its harder to fight Nintendo directly then in past years). A lot of the time they share titles and often times they have little differences.

They can get away with making more profit in Japan because X-box is So week there. But they price it down lower in America because the X-box is more of a threat.

Atleast it makes sense, if Vamps annoucement is true.

Quoted post: I'm not sure about this, but I thought the price speculation was for Japan. I'm pretty sure software is more expensive there, so wouldn't our range be a little lower? $60 sounds pretty reasonable, seeing as how 360 games cost that much.

Confirmed, 60, etc.

Quoted post: They can get away with making more profit in Japan because X-box is So week there.

Sony has pretty much given up on Japan for the time being. Those 100,000 people that do buy it will likely pay anything for the games they release, so it makes sense.

Quoted post: Atleast it makes sense, if Vamps annoucement is true.

check anywhere for yourself.

Posted by XxLionheartXx

im not buying the ps3, its way too much, the games prices are way too much, all the ps3 is, is a gold digger

Quoted post: im not buying the ps3, its way too much, the games prices are way too much, all the ps3 is, is a gold digger

SIXTY BUCKS? AHHHHHHHHHH TOO MUCH MONEY!

Except that's the new price for games these days. And probably will continue to be so for a good five years or so.

Posted by Speedfreak

It isn't for Wii. And 20% more money is 20% more money no matter how you look at it. The fact that $100 doesn't get you 2 games anymore is absurd.

Except there's generally a reason you're paying ten bucks more. Plus, most games I'm seeing for the Wii are a rip-off at $49.99.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Plus, most games are a rip-off for any amount of money

fixed

Nah, not really. Sixty bucks for the games that are actually worth your time definitely aren't a rip-off. I pay thirty bucks for a two hour movie, sixty for a ten-thirty hour game is pretty good.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I can't say that another Tekken will be worth $60, even if I were a major Tekken fan. Paying $10 more for a last-gen game with next-gen graphics isn't my idea of a good purchase. 'Swhy I don't have a 360 yet. I think it's excellent that a system that actually has a next-gen approach to gameplay will have its games available at last-gen's price.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Nah, not really. Sixty bucks for the games that are actually worth your time definitely aren't a rip-off. I pay thirty bucks for a two hour movie, sixty for a ten-thirty hour game is pretty good.

Thats basically what I was saying. I was just coming from the other end saying most games arent worth playing and so arent worth money.

Personally I don't rate a game on it's price. if it's cheap then sweet. Doing otherwise is foolish.

Quoted post: Thats basically what I was saying. I was just coming from the other end saying most games arent worth playing and so arent worth money.

I can think of tons of games that are sixty bucks coming out soon that, I believe, are totally worth the money.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: I can think of tons of games that are sixty bucks coming out soon that, I believe, are totally worth the money.

I meant games on a whole, for every console.

MegaMan Soccer anyone?

Then don't buy them? Chances are they aren't worth fifty either. But they're not going to price every game appropriately based on it's quality. It's simple enough to judge what's worth fifty or sixty and what isn't.

Posted by Bebop

...I don't. You seem to have misunderstood me completely. I was saying there were more crap games than good ones. End of.

... okay. Thanks for providing me information that's common knowledge to anyone who's ever even touched a game?

Posted by Bebop

It's ok. Thanks for making us post longer than we had to?

You're welcome?

Posted by Bebop

Shut up. I'm leaving this country and never coming back.

k, miss you.

Posted by Bebop

No you won't. :(

I already am :( Come back soon :(

Posted by Last Fog

I don't see this as a big deal compared to the outrageous price of the console itself. If someone's willing to shell out $600 for a PS3, an extra $15 or $20 a game shouldn't be a problem. Plus, like somebody said we were paying $60 for N64 catridges a decade ago. So this isn't all that crazy when you put it in comparison.

... and theres always gamefly. I've been considering that for awhile. Although I think that's only an option in the U.S.

Posted by Axis

Do Gamefly, it's what I use and I totally love it.

Quoted post: Plus, like somebody said we were paying $60 for N64 catridges a decade ago.

80*

The highest-priced N64 game I ever saw was ironically the one that was worth the least: Superman 64 for $64.99.

Posted by Last Fog

Yeah that's what I remember. $80 would be ridiculous. If thats the case its surpising N64 did nearly as well as it did.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Prince Shondronai: The highest-priced N64 game I ever saw was ironically the one that was worth the least: Superman 64 for $64.99.

80 fo Oot on launch, gold version

Quoted post: The highest-priced N64 game I ever saw was ironically the one that was worth the least: Superman 64 for $64.99.

Mind you, I live in Canada too. But yeah, including OoT, I paid eighty bucks a few times for various games.

Ocarina of Time cost the same amount for the limited edition as the regular one here in the States: $59.99. At least that's the way it was at Toys R Us, where I got my copy.

... so are you telling me my memory is incorrect, even though I know for certain, or just saying how much you paid for really no reason at all?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Except there's generally a reason you're paying ten bucks more. Plus, most games I'm seeing for the Wii are a rip-off at $49.99.

Which games? If you take it as granted that last-gen games were worth $49.99, I don't really see how Wii games couldn't be worth it when they're doing way more interesting things than last-gen games were doing in the same time period.

Most of those games were rip-offs too. But Wii games don't look all that exciting. out of all of the launch titles, I see two that are worth fifty bucks. The rest are ****ty ports and minigames. It won't be until a year from now, give or take, when Wii games will be worth the full price.

Posted by Unite

few bucks more not a big deal

nintendo use to sell games more than this back in 90's

hmm highest price for n64 game i saw long ago was selling at 110 Canadian

Posted by muffla

I WIN THE DEBATE

anyways im not gonna pay more than 60 bucks a game for any system.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Most of those games were rip-offs too. But Wii games don't look all that exciting. out of all of the launch titles, I see two that are worth fifty bucks. The rest are ****ty ports and minigames. It won't be until a year from now, give or take, when Wii games will be worth the full price.

How do you value most of your games, then? What, in your opinion, must a game do to be worth $50?

Quoted post: How do you value most of your games, then? What, in your opinion, must a game do to be worth $50?

Not something I've already played but still has enough substance to keep me entertained for longer than a bunch of minigames. But yeah, basically by fun, amount of hours it'll keep me occupied, how it looks and plays, and so forth. Nothing very different from the average person.

Luckily the Wii has at least two launch titles that should meet those requirements. Which is pretty much all I buy at launch anyways.