PS3 overheats during TGS

Posted by Klarth

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ridge-racer-7/tgs06-ridge-racer-7--too-hot-for-tgs-202609.php

Apparently it can't handle TGS without a small fan and an Sony representative desperately scrabbling to get it to run properly.

Didn't this happen with Sonic at E3, too?

Posted by Axis

Same thing has happened with past consoles. This is nothing new.

Posted by Klarth

I've never heard of a Wii or a 360 overheating on the showfloor.

Or any other console, actually. Sorry, but this is completely new for me.

Posted by Axis

Oh. 360 did the same thing last year and I remember it happening to Xbox and PS2 at one point.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, a few 360's crashed. This always happens.

but lol sony!

Posted by TendoAddict

Systems have over heated in the past, that not the joke.

Whats funny is that the PS3 is a sleek new system, people think overheating is beyond this gen.

Also the fan thing is funny as hell.

Quoted post: Whats funny is that the PS3 is a sleek new system, people think overheating is beyond this gen.

How is this funny? If the 360 can overheat and crash, so can the PS3. Bugs and glitches aren't beyond any generation, no matter how new or superior they are. There's nothing funny about it, it's to be expected. Just like it's to be expected that the first generation PS3s will probably have dones of problems, just like the 360.

Posted by Fate

The link said it could've been a software issue, but I'm not sure if it was sarcasm. :/

Posted by Klarth

If I remember correctly, the 360s shown at E3 were in kiosks identical to the ones you see in shops. If you'd care to take a nice, close look at them, you'll see a HUGE fan behind a grille under the TV. It's not the fact that it's overheating at all, it's the fact that they're humiliating themselves by allowing a console to conk out on the showfloor.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: How is this funny? If the 360 can overheat and crash, so can the PS3. Bugs and glitches aren't beyond any generation, no matter how new or superior they are.There's nothing funny about it, it's to be expected. Just like it's to be expected that the first generation PS3s will probably have dones of problems, just like the 360.

Yes but that isnt the point. At the price of $600 sony is making this machine look sleek and advanced. Seeing a ps3 over heat provides a image of a lack of quality. This with a scrambleing for a mini fan in a comical fasion. It (for most people) shows a funny situation

People have different ideas on what funny is anyways, I dont even know why I have to exsplian myself.

Quoted post: The link said it could've been a software issue, but I'm not sure if it was sarcasm. :/

It was a case of a unfinished code running on unproven hardware. The Ps3 is not final and the game was a demo. The funny part was the scrambleing with the fan.

Posted by Bebop

Meh it's nothing new. Like the article says, "unfinished code running on unrpoven hardware" is bound to run into problems. It'll be fixed by the time it reaches consumer shelves.

Quoted post: Yes but that isnt the point. At the price of $600 sony is making this machine look sleek and advanced. Seeing a ps3 over heat provides a image of a lack of quality. This with a scrambleing for a mini fan in a comical fasion. It (for most people) shows a funny situation

People have different ideas on what funny is anyways, I dont even know why I have to exsplian myself.

It's not funny because it's expected. I don't care how expensive something is, because everything has its flaws. Especially in a kiosk, being run for hours on end, in a hot building, and constantly being played.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: It's not funny because it's expected. I don't care how expensive something is, because everything has its flaws. Especially in a kiosk, being run for hours on end, in a hot building, and constantly being played.

I reapeat, it was the FAN that was funny. Not the over heat.

Hell , Sony knew that they would be operating in a hot room for hours on end running an unfinsihed game on a unfinsihed system. Why the hell isnt their a fan back there in the fist place?

I have a feeling this thing whole thing could of been avioded.

Obviously. But it wasn't, and it happened. What's the big deal?

Posted by avalanch

[quote=Klarth;402433]I've never heard of a Wii or a 360 overheating on the showfloor.

Or any other console, actually. Sorry, but this is completely new for me.

Yea, the wii even wound up [URL="http://digg.com/gaming_news/Wii_Crashes_at_Event_in_NYC"]overheating[/URL]

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Since the 128-bit saga started consoles needed fans...err VENTILATION...although you can make any console overheat.