MTV acquires Guitar Hero

Posted by Hyper

http://igo.ampednews.com/platform/ps2/news/4692/

[quote]Viacom owned company MTV Networks is apparently interested in Harmonix, the entertainment software developer that created the widely popular Guitar Hero game for the Playstation 2. So interested, in fact, that they

Posted by Prince Shondronai

When was the last time a guitar was heard on mtv? When it wasn't sampled, I mean.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

This can either mean a bigger, better game... or the end of a great series before it really got going.

Posted by Klarth

Hey, at least this means we'll be seeing My Valentemichal Roachubus songs appearing in later instalments - even if they do consist of the same two notes played over and over again for two minutes, it's still fun, right?

Right?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Lordy, why can't I find a Guitar Freaks conversion kit for my DDR Extreme machine? One that includes the guitars and mini-stage, I mean.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Klarth: Hey, at least this means we'll be seeing My Valentemichal Roachubus songs appearing in later instalments - even if they do consist of the same two notes played over and over again for two minutes, it's still fun, right?

Right?

Have you ever even played I Wanna Be Sedated? The entire song is nothing but a series of 1/16th notes for about 2 minutes, and its not like they switch up quickly either.

Posted by Speedfreak

Klarth tells me that Guitar Hero 2 is basically 1 with different tracks. It's already a cookie-cutter series, what more could MTV possibly do to it?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak: Klarth tells me that Guitar Hero 2 is basically 1 with different tracks. It's already a cookie-cutter series, what more could MTV possibly do to it?

I dunno, like put in crap songs for money and make the game go under?

Posted by Zeta

Or find some way to put Ashton Kutcher in the game and yell "YOU JUST GOT PUNK'D LOLZ" or some other stupid MTV crap.

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Speedfreak: Klarth tells me that Guitar Hero 2 is basically 1 with different tracks.

Klarth is wrong.

There have been three new modes added to the game, and the songs are seem to include a lot more Classic Rock than the first. First new mode, Co-op, where you can play with a friend, and share a combo meter, and star power, and basically get through the song together. One person has a guitar, lead guitar or bass, and players can select which instrument they want to play. They added a practice mode, where you can select different sections of the song, and adjust to speed, to get down the fingering. This is huge, because some of the solos in the game can be very frustrating and seem IMPOSSIBLE to pull off. The Career is also a lot deeper this time around. When you miss a note during a combo, the fretboard shakes for a second, which is helpful, because sometimes in the first, you didn't really know when you screwed up. Three button chords are also present this time around, which should be interesting and hard to pull off. All the characters are new and the venues are too, of course. And most importantly, the songs are A LOT of fun to play with friends, or by yourself, and is really addictive.

"Same game"? I think not.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

lol klarth. They actually put effort into this game, listened to fans, and added tons of new stuff.

Posted by G-Sides

not to mention primus is in it 8-).

Posted by Richaod

It'll definitely be better, that's for sure. War Pigs is on the song list though, and I'm kind of questioning the point of putting in a song which barely even has guitar in the verses...

If MTV's love of money affects Guitar Hero, maybe they'll port it to other consoles? Please?

Posted by higbvuyb

Good thing Sony didn't buy it, because then GH 2 would cost $100, it wouldn't come with any songs, or guitars (which would just be different sound packs), and each song/guitar would be $10 each.

Posted by Richaod

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6158861.html

Guitar Hero 2 will be released for Xbox 360, with a different controller and Xbox Live download compatibility. That'd be really cool if I owned an Xbox 360. :(