PS3 Price Drop

Posted by Bebop

http://news.spong.com/article/10817

If the price stayed the same, I'd say

Posted by Klarth

Note that this is ONLY IN JAPAN and ONLY FOR THE CHEAPER MODEL.

Just clearing that up for everyone about to jump on the "HEY SONY HATERS WHAT'S THIS HUH" bandwagon.

Posted by Bebop

What does the cheaper model consist of again?

Posted by Klarth

No HDMI, smaller hard drive, wired controllers, no chrome lettering, no memory card slot, no wifi, uses the blood of your firstborn son rather than running off mains electricity.

Posted by Xero

Its good that the price went down. I thought it was overly expensive and so did a lot of fans of the playstation that I know.

I have reasons to think the main reason is that they want to compete with WII, because the new nintendo's price is low enough.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Flame ghost]
Its good that the price went down. I thought it was overly expensive and so did a lot of fans of the playstation that I know.

I have reasons to think the main reason is that they want to compete with WII, because the new nintendo's price is low enough.
Read the "only in Japan" part and tell me it's a good thing again.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Klarth: No HDMI, smaller hard drive, wired controllers, no chrome lettering, no memory card slot, no wifi, uses the blood of your firstborn son rather than running off mains electricity.

Jesus no wifi? Thats a scam. I retract my OP.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

lol price drop before it even came out. "Core" version is a rip-off anyways.

Posted by TendoAddict

Im not sure how making the PS3 crap verson cheeper will compete with the Wii.

Quoted post: Im not sure how making the PS3 crap verson cheeper will compete with the Wii.

Simple. You take something that's 500 dollars and drop 75 dollars off of that, people think they're getting a deal. Thus, the package looks a lot more attractive, meaning more people will feel the desire to spend the cash. It'll definitely boost sales, no doubt about that.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Actually, this article, http://www.gamespot.com/events/tgs2006/story.html?sid=6158155 says that they added the HDMI port to the cheaper one, too. That's good. It's pretty sad when there's a price drop before the system even launches, though!

Posted by Fate

There were two packages with the 360, too.

Microsoft isn't basing their entire company's future on their video game console, though. How long would it have taken the ps3 to become profitable at the old price? How long can sony afford to lose money on it?

Posted by Fate

SCEA losing money sucks. It's a dangerous gamble and it would really suck for a lot of gamers if Sony suddenly quit the gaming industry. They'd have to sell so many extra attachments just to make up the money lost on just one PS3. I'm sure something will be fixed along the lines, just not on launch.

It would only seem to suck for loads of gamers if sony quit the industry. Their intellectual properties would be sold to companies that could handle them every bit as well as they could, if not better, and hardware would forever more be developed by manufacturers who know what they're doing. It could only benefit the industry if sony computer entertainment dies the hideous, screaming death I've been dreaming of for them for the past 8 years.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Princess Fate: It's a dangerous gamble and it would really suck for a lot of gamers if Sony suddenly quit the gaming industry.

Indeed. They introduced some neat new tricks that have suddenly become standard in the industry, especially with their hardware. For example, they introduced the concept of instancing with the PS2, which in layman's terms is being able to handle a bigger number of objects on screen than the number that can be stored in memory. At first developers thought Sony was insane (because how would you keep track of objects for checks in real time, yadda yadda yadda), but then they discovered the advantages provided by the model when implementing bounding volume hierarchies and splitting for collision detection and culling when rendering. Ok, so that part wasn't in layman's terms, but the point is, Sony forever more develops their own hardware that has and will benefit the industry in some way. It could only be a disappointment if Sony ever left the industry. :)

Posted by Bebop

I disagree. The worst thing Sony did was introduce the casual gamer which has made games crap. If jocks and chavs hadnt picked up a controller we wouldnt be plauged with as many run of the mill sci fi shooters, sports games and GTA knock offs.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Princess Fate: There were two packages with the 360, too.

Mmm, yes, except the 360 Core package was fully upgradable to the Premium simply through purchase of the relevant peripherals. If you want to upgrade your Core PS3 to Premium, you'll have to send it off to have all the relevant internal components installed (card reader, hard drive, ET CETERAAAA).

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: The worst thing Sony did was introduce the casual gamer which has made games crap..

Nintendo's focus now is on the casual gamer though, and they've been pretty vocal about it in both word and action. So, does that mean Nintendo is also to blame now for fueling Sony's expansion of the market by introducing even more casual gamers to videogames with the DS and Wii?

Posted by Bebop

The introduction of a casual gamer was pretty much inevitable so whether it was Nintendo or MS that brought them in first I would still be annoyed by the fact videogames have been altered to tailer for inferior gamers IMO. Difference is Nintendo is trying to appeal to everyone, inlcuding the casual gamer, rather than just the casual gamer which Playstation caters for. Playstation was plauged with "hardcore action guy does hardcore thing" type games that were marketted like an MTV show and that still seems to be the way . The people who buy these games are also the people who wear whatever Kanye West is and who think Paris Hilton is hot. They are the casual gamers I refer too. They're jocks/chavs/idiot and you know the kind. They say stuff like "off da hook" and listen to rap because everyone else does. They are consumer whores. Unfortuantely for me there's lots of them and that means alot of money. Playstation saw most games that were created, IMO, just for money and they did this by appealing to the stupid jock/chav casual gamer. When I read a book, or watch a film, or play a game I'm aware it's a product of competitve mostly commerically driven market but I prefer a product that at least has some artistic or other influence on it rather than just money. This seems to be the case with most games made by Nintendo or for Nintendo than for Sony. It's the age old question of indigenos VS commercial and I prefer tha former. Sony fuelled the latter. Wii does alot for creativity and different kinds of games the casual gamer wouldnt even dream off.

A casual gamer could be just a guy who play an hour every week. Thats fine by me. My definition of casual are the idiots who like big Hollywood blockbusters and who like nothing else. You know the type. Film quality has been raped by these people and it annoys me that they've spread their filth to video games.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bebop: Difference is Nintendo is trying to appeal to everyone, inlcuding the casual gamer, rather than just the casual gamer which Playstation caters for.

[COLOR="Yellow"]If Sony only tried to appeal to the casual gamer why would they push development of titles like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus and keep publishing and advertising all the jak, Ratche ans Sly games? These aren't game that appeal to the casual gamers, not the ones you're speaking of anyway. Sony caters for everyone as well.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Sony consoles cater more for the casual gamer than everything else I think I said that. Part of this is 1>They had the largest fan base so for a developer looking for money it made sense and 2>They do.

Sony may have made Eco and Nintendo may have made Mario Baseball but those are just some slight examples. Warner Bros may have made the Matrix but they also fund arthouse. Each of these companies is guilty in the 'whoring out' part of business but thats how it goes in a competitive media business where everyone involed is investing millions daily. I'm not saying Nintendo don't do that (Mario Party for an example). Point stands Sony consoles tend to be the bigger whores.

Also I would say those Jak, Clank and Sly games do appeal to the casual gamer market than you think. Take a look at at the characters. They are presented as 'cool' with guns (Jak evolved more into this than the others). They also follow suit of a successful Hollywood Blockbuster by constant sequels which is quite clearly whoring out. IMO if a game has more than 3 titles to it's series in a console generation it's being whored out and likley the gameplay has suffered*. Don't get more casual than that! :p:

*For more example like this look at any EA franchise. Whats a hit gets raped by the sequel monster. But if its a flop its dropped. Nintendo tends to keep less successful franchises alive longer where others dropped them.

Posted by Cloudstud

Everyone keep your fingers crossed maybe we will get a couple more price drops so the average joe may be able to afford a PS3.

In about three to four years, yeah.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: Sony consoles cater more for the casual gamer than everything else I think I said that. Part of this is 1>They had the largest fan base so for a developer looking for money it made sense and 2>They do.

Sony may have made Eco and Nintendo may have made Mario Baseball but those are just some slight examples. Warner Bros may have made the Matrix but they also fund arthouse. Each of these companies is guilty in the 'whoring out' part of business but thats how it goes in a competitive media business where everyone involed is investing millions daily. I'm not saying Nintendo don't do that (Mario Party for an example). Point stands Sony consoles tend to be the bigger whores.

Also I would say those Jak, Clank and Sly games do appeal to the casual gamer market than you think. Take a look at at the characters. They are presented as 'cool' with guns (Jak evolved more into this than the others). They also follow suit of a successful Hollywood Blockbuster by constant sequels which is quite clearly whoring out. IMO if a game has more than 3 titles to it's series in a console generation it's being whored out and likley the gameplay has suffered*. Don't get more casual than that! :p:

*For more example like this look at any EA franchise. Whats a hit gets raped by the sequel monster. But if its a flop its dropped. Nintendo tends to keep less successful franchises alive longer where others dropped them.

Sony is only "the biggest whore" because it has been the top dog in the industry for the last two generations. Any company in their position in this day and age would allow the release of games that cater to the masses in order to increase profit and popularize their product. Nintendo would do the same thing if they were at the top (which they could be with the Wii), as their attitude seems to show:

[quote]“The fact is there will be M-rated content on the Wii console. EA has already announced that they're bringing The ***father to our console. And we want every single best-selling game to be available on Wii. Whatever that content is." - Reggie Fils-Aime

"Whatever the content is." If gamers crave the "Hollywood-type games" that you seem to hate, then that's what Nintendo will proudly sell to the world. There's no shame in that either, but the problem is people tend to put Nintendo in a pedestal they don't belong on. They are a business, and they'll support the whoring of GTA clones if it'll give them money. If the Wii ever becomes the #1 console of choice, then the developers making those type of games that you hate will flock to Nintendo and release their games there. Will it be a problem then, or will Nintendo be magically absolved of any substantial blame, unlike Sony is in your eyes? Or, do you truly believe Nintendo won't allow such games to populate their library? Apparently, Reggie thinks differently.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Big Boss]are a business, and they'll support the whoring of GTA clones if it'll give them money. If the Wii ever becomes the #1 console of choice, then the developers making those type of games that you hate will flock to Nintendo and release their games there. Will it be a problem then, or will Nintendo be magically absolved of any substantial blame, unlike Sony is in your eyes? Or, do you truly believe Nintendo won't allow such games to populate their library? Apparently, Reggie thinks differently.[/color]

I think the Gameboy Advance library of games is enough proof of this. Still, it's a trend as a non-casual gamer I don't like nor care for. But, their will always be gems amongst the c[COLOR="Lime"]r[/COLOR]ap.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss]

Yes I know. I wasnt saying any different.

[quote]"Whatever the content is." If gamers crave the "Hollywood-type games" that you seem to hate, then that's what Nintendo will proudly sell to the world. There's no shame in that either, but the problem is people tend to put Nintendo in a pedestal they don't belong on. They are a business, and they'll support the whoring of GTA clones if it'll give them money. If the Wii ever becomes the #1 console of choice, then the developers making those type of games that you hate will flock to Nintendo and release their games there. Will it be a problem then, or will Nintendo be magically absolved of any substantial blame, unlike Sony is in your eyes? Or, do you truly believe Nintendo won't allow such games to populate their library? Apparently, Reggie thinks differently.

Doubtful. Nintendo could have made a GTA knock off themselves back during GC but they didnt.They have made games that are clearly for money they have steered clear of the unorignal "get in a car and hit people games" Sony consoles had. If Wii becomes the bigest seller then you will get developers using it for a quick buck like the PS2 was treated. I don't want that to happen again and I'm hoping it's not. With the PS2 case as more developers came in originialty went out. Whats reassuring is the Wiimote. Developers are using it in different ways so hopefully it will balance out. As long as Wii has enough oringinal titles to out wiegh money grabbing tat, like GTA knock for example, I'll be fine. PS2 or Xbox didnt have this and that was the problem. It to me was simply a platform of the same thing.
As far as 'blame' it sticks with Sony as I said before: It was inevitable to happen but Sony helped it. They brought in the consumer whore and its up to every other devloper, including Sony, to help fix that.

Posted by Bebop

[url=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19894]More news[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]Nintendo's focus now is on the casual gamer though, and they've been pretty vocal about it in both word and action. So, does that mean Nintendo is also to blame now for fueling Sony's expansion of the market by introducing even more casual gamers to videogames with the DS and Wii?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Their focus is now everyone, as oxymoronic as that is. Games like Zelda and Metroid appeal to the hardcore, some like Mario appeal to the hardcore and casual, Mario Party and WarioWare works for casual gamers, and Wii Sports and Brain Training are for the non-gamer.

Honestly, the sooner Sony gets it's arse kicked the better. Their overconfidence is destructive to the inudstry, as soon as they're put in their place I expect to see something of real worth come from them. There's too much talent there to be wasted, but it's hindered by their arrogance.

Ever since Nintendo lost their throne they've become better software and hardware designers, in my opinion. I hope the same happens to Sony.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak:
Honestly, the sooner Sony gets it's arse kicked the better. Their overconfidence is destructive to the inudstry, as soon as they're put in their place I expect to see something of real worth come from them. There's too much talent there to be wasted, but it's hindered by their arrogance.

Ever since Nintendo lost their throne they've become better software and hardware designers, in my opinion. I hope the same happens to Sony.

I dont think the same would happen if Sony did a nintendo. Mostly because Sony as a whole is not fully video games.

When Nintedo was under heat they had to become better in the market or die. If Sony's gaming department starts to weaken it wont mean the end of sony itself.

I know I would love a sony that didnt lie, that made good/great games more often, and made me happy. But just because It worked for nintendo doesnt mean it will work for sony.

Quoted post: I know I would love a sony that didnt lie, that made good/great games more often, and made me happy.

Businesses, eh?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Businesses, eh?

Amen

Posted by muffla

If olny nintendo acepted sony's offer to make the n64 cd driven

wonder what their system would be called (wii3?)

... what?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting muffla: If olny nintendo acepted sony's offer to make the n64 cd driven

What the crap are you on about?

Posted by Big Boss

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Cyke/Eyeshield21-HuhBrothers02.png[/IMG]

Posted by Klarth

Happy eighth birthday!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Indeed, muffla. First off, sony's "offer" was to make a SegaCD-style add-on to the SNES, not to make the N64 a CD-based system. The planned add-on would have had little more power than the Sega-CD. This, coupled with some dirty dealing on sony's part, caused Nintendo to tell them where to shove it.

Secondly...wii3? I've seen less crack on the sidewalk than must be coursing through your veins, lad.

Posted by powerpuff

I heard that sony might drop the price in the US after a couple months

Quoting powerpuff: I heard that sony might drop the price in the US after a couple months

"Might" being the operative word. Announcing anything officially before launch would be pretty counterproductive. As it stands, I predict at least 399,995 ebay auctions for the things before Christmas.:-D

Posted by Linko_16

I wouldn't be fabulously miffed if Sony had to drop out; it's not like I rue their presence on the market, but they don't exactly make great games themselves. If they went under, we'd just have those games on other systems.

I'd have a bit of an "Oh, Sony, I hardly knew ye, ya big beautiful lug," moment, but it wouldn't ruin my life.

Posted by muffla

I dont think that sony will "drop out". I just think they will lose alot of business and then get bought out by microsoft.

Posted by Unite

hmm you could just buy a japanese ps3 , since ps3 is multi region it wouldn't matter what regions games you used on it.

Posted by Speedfreak

There's 100,000 in Japan for launch. Are you mental?

Posted by Random

Sony this Sony that.. Its an overpriced console that doesn't have many exclusives that even make me think of purchasing.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Random]that doesn't have many exclusives that even make me think of purchasing.

The same could probably be said about all 3 systems.

Quoted post: hmm you could just buy a japanese ps3 , since ps3 is multi region it wouldn't matter what regions games you used on it.

If you manage to find one, prepare to spend a lot of cash. Not only will they be marked up due to the limited supply, but I believe Sony is allowing the shops to set their own price on the premium console.

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: The same could probably be said about all 3 systems.

Don't get me wrong.. Sony has a lot of exclusives but I found during this console war, I found many more Xbox and Gamecube exclusives that I enjoyed by leaps and bound vs PS2 exclusives.

Just me personally. I'm sure there are people who think otherwise. Infact I know it..