Far Cry Vengeance

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Xbox:

[IMG]http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/652/652477/far-cry-instincts-20050920061603211.jpg[/IMG]

Wii:

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083020096.jpg[/IMG]

... so terrible I can't help but laugh.

Posted by Bebop

Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

EDIT: Wierd really because UBI managed to get Double Agent looking good.

EDIT 2: It's probably early in graphic devleopment still. I mean UBI got SP and Rayman looking nice so why not this? Elebits looked turd early on but now it's improved. I'm giving it time.

Posted by Speedfreak

I like how the dev team behind this is saying Wii is more powerful than Xbox whilst giving us this awful shots. Okay, fair enough maybe Wii isn't Direct X TM or Pixel Shader TM compatible, but Jesus, what does that have to do with polygon count? Gamecube pushed more polygons than Xbox did for ***'s sake.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, this looks like arse right now.

To be fair, the only graphical advantages Xbox had over GCN were speculars and shading - Both of which Wii supports. Just check out any Mario Galaxy video.

Quoted post: EDIT 2: It's probably early in graphic devleopment still. I mean UBI got SP and Rayman looking nice so why not this? Elebits looked turd early on but now it's improved. I'm giving it time.

It's launch, is it not? They better get their asses in gear. But even then, just talk about the game and withhold videos and images until they don't look... so awful.

Posted by Bebop

Yhe it's launch which is why I find it even wierder. Spliner adn Rayman are launch too but dont look like wank. Red Steel and Metroid so examples of FPS Wii games looking good too. Well they got about 2 months so its possible.

If they don't fix anything else, AT LEAST fix the HUD. Ugliest HUD I've ever seen, I think. But yeah, SC: DA looks fantastic, but it's games like these that are completely unacceptable. If you're not going to try, don't even bother.

Posted by sniper

This must be a joke. I'd expect better of the Dreamcast.

Posted by TendoAddict

Im sure in month we'll see new shots in a topic saying

"FARCRY LOOKS BETTER"

When I will say:

No **** sherlock, maybe they were think about adapting the controlls before the graphics and then they smoothed it out?

And then we'll all get on with our lives.

The end.

Wouldn't it make sense to not release ****ty images then?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Vampiro: Wouldn't it make sense to not release ****ty images then?

Totally. If this was a SquareEnix game, you'd only see the X-box 360 shots.

More images in all their glory:

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083022237.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023049.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023893.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Klarth

First one doesn't look QUITE so bad.

Posted by Axis

Is Ubisoft REALLY developing this??

Posted by Prince Shondronai

In the long run, as long as it's an FPS that I can use the Wiimote with, the graphics can be as crappy as they want. I don't think FPSs will ever get old on this system.

Posted by Zeta

Good ***, why did they make the HUD different between the two versions? Wii's is terrible.

Posted by TendoAddict

Im I the only who thinks the could improve upon the graphics before release?

Quoted post: Im I the only who thinks the could improve upon the graphics before release?

No, it will obviously improve. But not by enough to make it look decent. The point is, they're releasing images of a big title... yet the images are horrendous. It's a stupid business move and reflects badly on everyone.

Quoted post: In the long run, as long as it's an FPS that I can use the Wiimote with, the graphics can be as crappy as they want. I don't think FPSs will ever get old on this system.

I think I'll wait for Metroid. Apparently you need to be first-party or have spent a lot of time with the console to make it look any good, because so far, Red Steel looks subpar, and FC, well, yeah.

Posted by Poco

It looks like when I run it on my 5200 FX. Geeze. I really hope this improves because I really want to play this with the wiimote.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: No, it will obviously improve. But not by enough to make it look decent. The point is, they're releasing images of a big title... yet the images are horrendous. It's a stupid business move and reflects badly on everyone.

Developers just have to release early shots. It's part of the development process. As you can see they gave the best ones they had in circumstances where it looks 'fun'

[quote] or have spent a lot of time with the console to make it look any good, because so far, Red Steel looks subpar, and FC, well, yeah.

Thats still what I dont get. Ubi must have enough time because look at Red Steel and Splinter.

Posted by Klarth

Red Steel subpar? Looks pretty fine to me.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]No, it will obviously improve. But not by enough to make it look decent. The point is, they're releasing images of a big title... yet the images are horrendous. It's a stupid business move and reflects badly on everyone.

I think I'll wait for Metroid. Apparently you need to be first-party or have spent a lot of time with the console to make it look any good, because so far, Red Steel looks subpar, and FC, well, yeah.

Technically speaking, there's nothing wrong with the shots, it's on par with the Xbox version. The only thing missing is water effects, and we all know that Gamecube could do them. Now it's just a case of improving textures, and that's all that's really wrong with it. If it weren't for the jungle in the distance and the grass sprites it'd look great.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Klarth: Red Steel subpar? Looks pretty fine to me.

Honestly I think Vamp has a grudge with Red Steel. He's always pessimistic about everyhting it shows, who the hell know why...

Quoted post: If it weren't for the jungle in the distance and the grass sprites it'd look great.

If it weren't for everything I can see in every image, it would look great. Yes.

Posted by Klarth

I think it looks fantastic. :/

... what? You're being srcastic, right; you did see the Xbox comparison shots, right? I realise it will probably, eventually, look better, but I can't see how anyone would use the word "fantastic" to describe those screen shots. Decent, or good, maybe. Maybe. But they're hell of a long way away from fantastic. MGS3 and Ninja Gaiden look fantastic. This game does not.

Posted by Klarth

I thought we were still talking about Red Steel. :(

Posted by Axis

Ok good, because at first I thought you were talking about Far Cry.

From the latest screens at IGN, Red Steel does look like it's shaping up pretty nicely.

[url="http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/732/732736/red-steel-20060914092813688.jpg"]Image 1[/url]
[url="http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/732/732736/red-steel-20060914092819829.jpg"]Image 2[/url]

Posted by Bebop

I can see Red Steel being a very good game but not the next Goldeneye (or for a more recent example Halo).

That first image makes it look ****. It looks like the enemy is paper thin and stuck on to the image.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop:
That first image makes it look ****. It looks like the enemy is paper thin and stuck on to the image.

Thats because he is...

They have training areas with cut out bad guys for you to learn the controlls.

Heres an early movie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7888968777839133832

They probably just took out the white box because you could hit the box but not actually the guy. Its harder to tell but if you compare the deph of your guy with the enemy you realise he's just flat.

Quoted post: I thought we were still talking about Red Steel.

Last few posts above yours jumped back and forth, so I thought you were talking about Far Cry. Still, Red Steel does NOT look fantastic.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]If it weren't for everything I can see in every image, it would look great. Yes.

Everything apart from the water and the trees in the distance is on par with the Xbox version. We know Wii has more, better RAM than Xbox has, and we know Gamecube could do amazing water.

Seriously, technically speaking there's nothing wrong with the shots. It's all down to artists.

[quote=Vampiro]Last few posts above yours jumped back and forth, so I thought you were talking about Far Cry. Still, Red Steel does NOT look fantastic.

Red Steel has great lighting, polygon counts, textures and effects. The ONLY reason people think it looks so bad is because they've washed all the colour out (desaturated) for artistic effect, and to put emphasis on the neon lighting.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: Everything apart from the water and the trees in the distance is on par with the Xbox version. We know Wii has more, better RAM than Xbox has, and we know Gamecube could do amazing water.

Uh, well the images on the last page would disagree.

Posted by Speedfreak

Uh, well people usually can't tell technically superior graphics from their ass.

But okay, I'd like you to point out what's wrong with the shots other than a missing water effect and some dodgy textures. Go for it.

Quoted post: Everything apart from the water and the trees in the distance is on par with the Xbox version. We know Wii has more, better RAM than Xbox has, and we know Gamecube could do amazing water.

Seriously, technically speaking there's nothing wrong with the shots. It's all down to artists.

Oh, I know it can look good. LoZ, Metroid, Mario, SC all look great. But this doesn't just look bad, it's downright terrible. The enemies look like they were just tossed in there from some completely different game, they don't even look part of the world. Right now, probably not later, it looks bad. Really bad. That's all I'm saying. I know it's capable of looking tons better.

Quoted post: Red Steel has great lighting, polygon counts, textures and effects. The ONLY reason people think it looks so bad is because they've washed all the colour out (desaturated) for artistic effect, and to put emphasis on the neon lighting.

Just saying it doesn't look "fantastic," nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: Uh, well people usually can't tell technically superior graphics from their ass.

But okay, I'd like you to point out what's wrong with the shots other than a missing water effect and some dodgy textures. Go for it.

Christ, when I read your post I thought you were meaning the water and trees were on par and everything else wasn't. My bad. Now that I look over that, I would agree with that.

Posted by brownoystercult

Man, this looks two times better.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Roinkz:

Man, this looks two times better.

Wow those are wii shots?

Posted by Speedfreak

The Xbox shots posted so far are actually dev shot, mind. The real game doesn't look anywhere near as good.

The main thing really is those blurry little grass sprites and those ugly tree textures that look like solid blocks. It's an art direction thing. I expect the game to look much better at launch, especially if it's running at 30 FPS.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: The enemies look like they were just tossed in there from some completely different game, they don't even look part of the world.

Thats not really anything to do witht the graphics just the story.

Quoted post: The Xbox shots posted so far are actually dev shot, mind. The real game doesn't look anywhere near as good.

Bullfeathers, sir. The game looks great. If it's not up to par with the screenshot I posted, it's **** close. I've played that game too many times to think otherwise.

Quoted post: Thats not really anything to do witht the graphics just the story.

lol zing! But seriously, same problem that Red Steel had (has?), the enemies look like total ***.

Posted by Bebop

I thought Red Steel enimies looked ok. Typical Yakuza stereo types right? :(

Oh, what I meant was that they weren't blended into the world. Like you could still see the outline from the game they were cut from... not that they didn't actually belong (and I actually had to think for a minute or two to remember why I was shooting soldiers in Far Cry)

Posted by Klarth

Quoting TendoAddict: Wow those are wii shots?

Yep. What's more is that I'm pretty sure they're actually older shots.

Then what the **** happened?

Posted by Klarth

Perhaps someone accidentally released early dev shots to the press? Who knows.

Posted by Klarth

Posted by Zeta

All I was able to get from that was Wii-exclusive levels and Multiplayer.

******* foreign languages.

Posted by Axis

Ahh, that looks much better.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get Far Cry Vengeance now. Best controls, most levels, great graphics.

EDIT: "Players: 1-7" the hell?

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Speedfreak: EDIT: "Players: 1-7" the hell?

I think it's a ?, not a 7.

Posted by Klarth

From what I can gather from my crap german: Based on the Xbox version, new levels, multiplayer modes, vehicles and ****.

Posted by TendoAddict

The game looks better now, Im guessing that the pics vamp found were a fluke by them. Now their at the level they should be.

Ah, wow, big improvement. Still, it's the same ****ing game they've released four or more times now. I'd need more than new controls and new stages to make me want to play it... for the fifth time.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Ah, wow, big improvement. Still, it's the same ****ing game they've released four or more times now. I'd need more than new controls and new stages to make me want to play it... for the fifth time.

I doubt the game was made for the people who already played it.

Just another way to get more fans. I know Ive wanted to play Far Cry for awail now and now I'll get the chance.

If they haven't played Far Cry on the PC, or Instincts on the PS2, or Instincts and Evolution on the Xbox, or Predator on the 360, I highly doubt they'll play Vengeance on the Wii. Obviously some will buy it, but not many. You can only whore out the same game so many times. Plus, I was talking about me personally.

Posted by Speedfreak

Far Cry never came out on PS2, the GC and PS2 versions were cancelled. At least half of the gaming market don't own either an Xbox or a PC powerful enough to run Far Cry. The vast majority of 360 owners right now are Xbox fans.

If there really were few people left who haven't tried Far Cry then why do you think Ubisoft would be making a Wii exclusive version in the first place?

Posted by muffla

Now those are much better im probobly going to buy it because i never played any of the other ones.the old screens looked like n64 golden eye graphics.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: If they haven't played Far Cry on the PC, or Instincts on the PS2, or Instincts and Evolution on the Xbox, or Predator on the 360, I highly doubt they'll play Vengeance on the Wii. Obviously some will buy it, but not many. You can only whore out the same game so many times. Plus, I was talking about me personally.

I actually haven't noticed that big an improvement. They do look better but I think it's mainly to do with the pictures being small. Maybe those first pictures were just blown up too much and took away some quality. *shrug*

I personally haven't played Far Cry but really wanted to. Although i finally have a PC powerful enough to run it I might as well get it for Wii since it's a launch title.

Quoted post: If there really were few people left who haven't tried Far Cry then why do you think Ubisoft would be making a Wii exclusive version in the first place?

Yes.

And: "Plus, I was talking about me personally."

yeah.

Posted by Bebop

Actually on second thought those mag screens still look bad.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Yes.

And: "Plus, I was talking about me personally."

yeah.

Wasn't a yes or no question.

I was just answering the first part of your post, because it wasn't talking about just you personally.

Quoted post: Wasn't a yes or no question.

I missed the "why," my mistake. But yeah, they'd make it because it's an easy port, that, as I said, would generate some cash no matter what. I doubt many people will buy it, but some will because it's a launch title.

Posted by XxLionheartXx

Quoting Vampiro: More images in all their glory:

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083022237.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023049.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/733/733951/far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023893.jpg[/IMG]

Really what im looking for is the unique of the wii, and its controller, just the expierience of it is really facinating

Except the Wii can do better graphics than that. That's the point. it's not "BUT IT'S THE CONTROLLER THAT MATTERS" it's the fact that those screens were beyong terrbile.

Posted by Bebop

The mga images are actually the same quality as the OP ones. Look closely and they still have the same blandness. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

I have a better eye for graphics than you, shush.

Posted by Dexter

k, don't know how much this matters, but I'm nearly finished with the game. I would've finished it in one night if I had the time, since I was actually enjoying the little venture. Only a few islands left. I'll probably finish off the game tonight. The graphics are horrible. Textures are so ugly, I could never let a new Wii observer see this. Decent rental, terrible purchase. I like how the nearly the entire game is outdoors and the whole predator mode is kinda fun. It gets better as you progress, like once you're able to do bigger jumps. Jumping up high and shot-gunning the guys in the trees is fun stuff. Melee attacks are superior to Red Steel and so are the environments. The controls are easier, too, but it would have been so much better with enhanced graphics, since the outdoor environments have such potential. Voice work is awful.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yup. COD3 is the best FPS for Wii as of right now.

as pathetic as that may be.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: as pathetic as that may be.

Yeah no kidding.

Considering the controll scheme of the wii Im wondering how these developers are failing so hard at fps's.

Posted by Dexter

Call of Duty 3 is the best FPS o the Wii and it is sad because the game is far more superior on the 360. Lack of multiplayer and online play hurts. The controls worked better than Far Cry and Red Steel though. Easy turn around and aiming.