Proposed blog changes.

Posted by Iris

I'd like to thank Jesse right off the bat for clearing out a few blogs earlier. I appreciate him getting rid of a few bad ones, but there's plenty more to go. I'd like to explain that since blogs are a privilege and not a right, we should make the blog section a lot cleaner by removing inactive, illegitimate, and unnecessary blogs.

-First off, I want Jesse to merge the n00bies- where all the n00bies hang out and n00bies- ALL TIME HIGH. Since one of these blogs has no mods, we can just keep the mods from the other blog. These blogs really, really don't need to be separate, since they've got generally the same topic. For the sake of convinience or nostalgia, I'd like to have the merged product to be called "n00bie board" or "Wacko Board." Whether or not it appears on the main page isn't of any concern to me.

-GameMiestro's blog, Game Reviews was inactive for the longest time. Arcadios wants to start posting reviews there, so it's possible that it will becom active again. However, if it doesn't not become active or most of the threads are of no relevance to game reviews, I suggest it be removed. There's still plenty of time before the renovate it.

-Fei-on's Animation Appreciation blog has also been inactive for months. We should send Fei-on a message that he should use his blog more often if he really wants to keep it. If he can't do that, the blog will be rendered useless and there's absolutely no point in keeping it.

-Delete Hyper and Majesty DO VGC. To quote netman, "Hyper and Majesty aren't doing VGC at all." The blog's only gotten occasional activity and doesn't have a ton of posts. Besides, the last post (Excluding netman's thread mocking it) was made before June this year. not active at all, no? I'm sure Hyper and Klarth won't miss it a whole lot.

-Stinger, Competitive Pokemon Battling, gets little-to-no activity. There's a three month gap between their newest thread and second to newest thread. Besides, very little of it is even about Pokemon battling. Off it now, Jesse.

As for who we grant blogs to, I think it's only fair to consider the blog topic and mods. If the topic is very obscure or there is none at all, then there shouldn't be one. Angelwing's blog, the n00bie boards, DA, LA, Protoman's blog, Antiproduct, and Junior Senior's blogs are all topicless blogs. We don't need any more. If some one wants to post stupid crap, tell them to post it in one of those boards. Whether or not the person will be accepted there is their problem, but there's plenty of options. We don't need a blog to decide who's the grimmest or discuss kitchen utensils. Also, don't grant blogs to idiots or people who are likely to get the ban hammer in the near future. No, I don't mean people like the Judge. I mean random newbies who have no chance of managing their blog, and those who've had a bad record of spamming and getting banned. Giving them a blog is just going to be an inconvinience for us. We shouldn't mod people who are likely to get into trouble because we'll have to go through a hassle getting Jesse to ban them. Also, if we start being incredibly loose with places you can post spam, it's inevitably going to occur much more often outside of the blogs as well.

Finally, I suggest we get a little more strict on what people can do in their blogs. Places that I mentioned before, like Angelwing's blog, DA, LA, the n00bie boards, and any other place that is pretty much subject to spam is great for posting just that. However, places like Crazy K's Movie Madness and Poison- Poisoned Anime does not need a whole bunch of threads that have nothing to do with the blog topic. Once again, having a blog is a privilege, not a right. No, we don't have to get all up in arms if they occasionally post spam or stuff unrelated. In fact, I don't have a problem until irrelevant threads literally become the majority of the blog and the original topic is pushed aside.

Please share your opinions on the proposed changes. If you agree with some of it, let us know what parts, and if you disagree with parts, please give an explanation. I feel this could really help VGC by cleaning up the blogs and encouraging members to get more active.

Posted by Hyper

I really don't think blogs should be this big of a deal. It's not like their wasting space and it's not like VGC has a reputation to be tarnished by them. The main boards have mods to keep the spam out. Why restrict the blogs too?

Posted by Pit

I think you're spending too much time on vgc iris. Seriously, chill out.

Posted by Linko_16

There is zero harm in having a blog with no topic at all. Yes, there are multiple blogs with no purpose but to fool around, but that doesn't mean it'd be the same if you just merged them all together to "keep things neat" or "save space." Different people visit each ones (aside from the few who just visit them all), generating their own brand of humor. Everyone has their own fun, everyone has a place to hang out with their own friends, everyone gets along, everyone is happy. Furthermore, just because we don't exactly discuss the great and almighty workings of the universe doesn't mean it's "omg wtf spam gtfo." It's a nice way to goof off, hang out, relax and what have you.

If everyone's comfortable with the way is now and it's not generating any problems whatsoever, why does it need to be changed?

Though I agree with all points made about inactive blogs.