Prostitution

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]An argument popped up in my head this morning when i was talking to my cousin during breakfast. We were talking about each other's friends and she mentioned one of her friends who's only 23 has, um, gotten into that line of work i should say. My cousin tells me her friend is quite happy, because she's getting paid a lot for something she likes to do, a lot. But my cousin did mention that one of the fears her friend has is getting arrested or worse yet, getting raped and not being able to go to the police. After she told me that story the words that came to my mouth were "that's ****ed up". And she asked "what is?". I told her not that she's prostituting but that she has deal with that kind of fear.

Prostitution has never been a big issue that i'd get into arguments before. But after talking to my cousin i started thinking more and more about it. Why is prostitution so illegal in so many places, and why is it looked down upon by society? Then i figured the answer was as simple as it always is with most issues. It's religious and political figures telling people what they can or can't do with their sexual lives. Is there a good, logical reason as to why prostitution is illegal that i'm not aware of?

Maybe George Carlin put it best in a stand-up i saw years ago: "Why is it illegal to sell something that is legal to give away for free?"[/COLOR]

Posted by WackoHater2

I personally don't think that prostitution should be illegal. I mean, it's not really a safe job. You could get a disease, raped, or worse. But if it's what you want to do, and you understand the risks, why should it be illegal. I agree with you Aioros.

Posted by Speedfreak

Because the idea of prostitution becoming a viable, legal "profession" for young girls to work towards once they decide they can't do school fucking sickens me.

Posted by GameMiestro

You don't have to be a prostitute... it's not like it harms the general public... in fact, at least half the people involved are quite happy with it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

They already have a job like that. Its called "stripper".

I say legalise and regulate it, just like most things. It'd be another source of revenue through taxation, and the regulation would allow it to be much safer. And besides, teh social stigma will still keep it a low key thing; even in places where its legal you dnot just walkj around yell OH HEY BTW IM GOING TO A WHOREHOUSE NOW LOL.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: Because the idea of prostitution becoming a viable, legal "profession" for young girls to work towards once they decide they can't do school fucking sickens me.

That's the same problem I would have with legalizing it.

Posted by keyartist

I live in pahrump where there are two whore houses and its legal there, now of course you can't "freelance" here but women/men still do, alot of the times its in Vegas though. I think its kind of sick, you know sloppy 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, ect. Oh and in about a 100 mile radius of where I live there are about 10 whore houses, all legal, and all controled.

Posted by Pit

you lucky bastard you

Posted by keyartist

Luck yeah right I wouldn't go in one.

Oh yeah legal hoes cost $1000 plus/an hour, unless you want a less attractive one, then maybe $750/hour.Its not like the nightwalkers who blow for 10 and hump for 50

Posted by Ch

"Selling is legal, f[COLOR="White"]u[/COLOR]cking is legal. Why is it illegal to sell f[COLOR="White"]u[/COLOR]cking?"

~ George Carlin

Pretty much sums up of what I think about it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Prostitutes are the past. Give it a few years and everyone will own their very own sexbot.

Plus, if they can conduct it like a business as they do in the cities where it's legal, I don't see a problem. Everybody wins.

Posted by Arwon

I started this [url=http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=15736]same thread[/url] a while ago asking if there any valid reasons to keep it banned.

As far as I can see there aren't, unless you really hate prostitutes and want them to live outside the law exposed to violence and disease and so forth.

[quote]Because the idea of prostitution becoming a viable, legal "profession" for young girls to work towards once they decide they can't do school ****ing sickens me.

1. Its already legal in England, at least according to Bebop.

2. That doesn't happen. Whoring is still whoring, and it aint for everyone or even most people. Some people can deal with doing it and good on 'em if it works for them, many people can't. It happens either way, legalising is about making it safer and less harmful and such.

Posted by Linko_16

Prostitutes can be pretty much prisoners of the pimps they serve, threatened for their lives and whatnot. They take in deviants with nowhere else to go and force them into it. Ever see that episode of Drawn Together where they role-play Xandir telling his parents that he's gay, so he runs away to the city and gets picked up by the pimp? It happens more often then you'd think.

Granted, there are laws to put a stop to that crap, too, but banning prostitution's another path to preventing it altogether.

Posted by specopssv44

Prostitution or at least whore houses are legal in some states. In Japan, prostitution is perfectly legal and even considered respectable by most Japanese people. However one must think of the problems legal prostitution can cause. Alot of the hookers in Japan are poor philipino girls that get shipped over here like cattle and marketed. They are underpaid by their "mama-sans" and disease is apparently a big issue.
But honestly think about sex. Is it REALLY free? You take a girl on a date, buy her a flower, pay for the dinner, pay for the movie, pay for the gas your car uses, pay for the drinks back home, you pay for everything. SO is sex really ever free?
Personally, whore houses are not something Id like to raise a familiy anywhere near. Plus if I had a daughter id be pretty ****ed off if she had to resort to letting complete strangers have sex with her for money.... Theres more to life than that.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=specopssv44]Prostitution or at least whore houses are legal in some states. In Japan, prostitution is perfectly legal and even considered respectable by most Japanese people. However one must think of the problems legal prostitution can cause. Alot of the hookers in Japan are poor philipino girls that get shipped over here like cattle and marketed. They are underpaid by their "mama-sans" and disease is apparently a big issue.
But honestly think about sex. Is it REALLY free? You take a girl on a date, buy her a flower, pay for the dinner, pay for the movie, pay for the gas your car uses, pay for the drinks back home, you pay for everything. SO is sex really ever free?
Personally, whore houses are not something Id like to raise a familiy anywhere near. Plus if I had a daughter id be pretty ****ed off if she had to resort to letting complete strangers have sex with her for money.... Theres more to life than that.

Quite possibly the single smartest post I've ever seen by you.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Linko_16: Prostitutes can be pretty much prisoners of the pimps they serve, threatened for their lives and whatnot. They take in deviants with nowhere else to go and force them into it.

[COLOR="Yellow"]That's true also. It prostitution were to be legalized and controlled in a safe manner, pimps would be left jobless which we can all agree is a good thing.

Another point some make is about the sexually transmitted diseases that rapidly spread around through the process of prostitution. I was reading about the Moonlight Bunny Ranch in Nevada, a brothel where legal prostitution is conducted. According to their medical check ups, their employees get tested for STD's and diseases every month and for HIV and AIDS every two months, condoms are required at all times, and all the rooms are cleaned up and sanitized on a daily basis (These whores are cleaner than you and me!). And how many employees or customers have they had in their history who contracted a disease of some sort? Zero. If prostitution were to be legalized and conducted in a safe manner such as this around the country, wouldn't that decrease the number of diseases significantly? Not to mention unwanted pregnancies and rape crimes?

So far we have:

-Another source of revenue
-Would put an end to scumbag pimp as[COLOR="Yellow"]s[/COLOR]h[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]les
-Holy S[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it! Legal and safe prostitution would decrease the number of STD's!

Any reasons to still keep it illegal? Not really, other than bulls[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it excuses here and there.[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

First off, we can't very well test every consumer. And if we somehow could test each and every single one of them in some magically uncostly manner, some STDs don't show up until months after testing because they were dormant. So here we have a tested consumer and a tested whore, both clean, then all of a sudden two months later the whore has HIV and has to keep track of every reciept she's been with (and in two months that could be a lot). Epidemic! Because **** straight those now-infected people have slept with other people or other whores and now you've got a big cluster**** in the hands of the government.

Also, prostitution isn't only for women. We, as a society, would have to abolish sodomy and anti-gay thoughts to allow it to happen. We just jumped a whole line that shouldn't be ignored.

There is no "safe" prostitution. Condoms could break, they don't prevent all STD transfer, and some whores give head for twenty bucks and never have to give up sex in the first place. Prostitution is mostly about the easiest way to get money, so that takes a couple of girls out of it. Payment is another big issue, seeing as how some people don't pay the whores, and some people give drugs as payment (because there are women out there with good jobs who just want to deal with sex). Beating the whores during sex is also a big issue. We can't very well follow every girl. Too much manpower would be needed.

A lot of money is in prostitution. I don't want anybody being taught that it's a better alternative to a career.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Princess Fate: First off, we can't very well test every consumer. And if we somehow could test each and every single one of them in some magically uncostly manner, some STDs don't show up until months after testing because they were dormant. So here we have a tested consumer and a tested whore, both clean, then all of a sudden two months later the whore has HIV and has to keep track of every reciept she's been with (and in two months that could be a lot). Epidemic! Because **** straight those now-infected people have slept with other people or other whores and now you've got a big cluster**** in the hands of the government.

[QUOTE=Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"] And how many employees or customers have they had in their history who contracted a disease of some sort? Zero. [/COLOR]

lol whut?

[quote]Also, prostitution isn't only for women. We, as a society, would have to abolish sodomy and anti-gay thoughts to allow it to happen. We just jumped a whole line that shouldn't be ignored.

I'm not sure whether you're saying we shouldnt repeal those laws or not, so I'll hold off commenting for now.

[quote]There is no "safe" prostitution. Condoms could break, they don't prevent all STD transfer, and some whores give head for twenty bucks and never have to give up sex in the first place. Prostitution is mostly about the easiest way to get money, so that takes a couple of girls out of it. Payment is another big issue, seeing as how some people don't pay the whores, and some people give drugs as payment (because there are women out there with good jobs who just want to deal with sex). Beating the whores during sex is also a big issue. We can't very well follow every girl. Too much manpower would be needed.

There are no "safe" meals. There are no "safe" cars. There are no "safe" pharmecueticals. But guess what? WE HAVE THEM ALL, AND THEY ALL WORK (usually). There are many countries on the globe that arent as uptight as america that have legalised it, and none of them have the rampant issues that you are afraid of. Phail.

[quote]A lot of money is in prostitution. I don't want anybody being taught that it's a better alternative to a career.[/color]

It is a career. Whats seperating it from any other job? You have duties and responsibility, and you are paid in accordance with popular demand for your services. Its no different than any other job, except that it requires very few skills and can be done by almost anyone. If anything, the overabundance of people that are qualified should lead to a saturation of the marklet and hence a lowering of salaries. You fail for not understanding economics.

Posted by Speedfreak

Morals of the average 19 year old male FTW.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Morals of the average person that doesnt feel the need to prohibit the sale of something that can be legally given away FTW.

It hurts nobody, really. Dont like it? Dont pay for it/work in the industry. Bam. Dont want your kid being a whore? Teach her to value education and her mind. Bam.

Posted by Arwon

Fate and Linko, the problems you describe of exploitation and disease are both better dealt with under the framework of legal prostitution, and speaking as someone in a country where it is legal, the doomsday scenarios being painted of respectable prostitution as a great career opportunity are massively overstated (but I'd say even if that did happen, so what?).

I'm not saying NO disease is spread by prostitution because it's an iron law of the universe that it is... but well, disease gets spread by prostitution in places where it's illegal NOW. Surely legalising it makes it easier to track and prevent spread of disease?

Legalisation empowers the women involved to look after their own health better. In a brothel environment with security and so forth they can better ensure that people do use condoms. The cultural idea of prostitutes as completely passive and victimised and powerless is I think, to a large extent, is a product of environments where prostitution is illegal and therefore marginalised. When it's legal and they're tax paying citizens, it's far easier for sex workers to look out for their own health and safety.

Sex trafficking and exploitation is still an issue, but that's a matter of effective law enforcement making sure this exploitation doesn't occur. Compare this to the same situation under banned prostitution wherein the women are victims of not only exploitation and domination by pimps and such, but also exposed to arrest and victimisation by the police.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's horribly immoral, and you all know how I am about things that are horribly immoral

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't want any kid being a whore, I don't want any kid on the entire friggin' planet to grow up thinking that it's good to amount to absolutely f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking nothing and that education and work is a total waste of time when you can just sell yourself to other people's primal urges. It's disgusting, seedy, unproductive and demonstrates a total lack of maturity and strong ethics.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]That's what parents are for. You can only tell your kids what to do until they're 18, after that you can only advice them. And stop throwing the word ethic around like it's free candy (PETA has the word "ethic" in their name and we all know they're full of bulls[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it). There's nothing ethicly wrong with selling sex if it's conducted in a safe and regulated manner.

If you don't want kids to think it's good to have no education an amount to nothing, why don't you after kids who move to Hollywood and give up school because they want to become super models.[/COLOR]

Posted by Iris

[quote=Aioros][COLOR=yellow]If you don't want kids to think it's good to have no education an amount to nothing, why don't you after kids who move to Hollywood and give up school because they want to become super models.[/COLOR]

The difference here is that if they do become super models, they can amount to something, and if they don't they can always get back into school, whereas in prostitution, it's not really something you can just give up. It's like being paid to use strange drugs. I mean, I doubt girls at the age of 15 are going to be lying in a gutter because they didn't get an audition for the latest Wal-Mart catalog.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Aioros][COLOR=yellow]That's what parents are for. You can only tell your kids what to do until they're 18, after that you can only advice them. And stop throwing the word ethic around like it's free candy (PETA has the word "ethic" in their name and we all know they're full of bulls[COLOR=yellow]h[/COLOR]it). There's nothing ethicly wrong with selling sex if it's conducted in a safe and regulated manner.

If you don't want kids to think it's good to have no education an amount to nothing, why don't you after kids who move to Hollywood and give up school because they want to become super models. [/COLOR]

Super models are only slightly better, but I can't stand them. In a lot of ways they're actually worse than prostitutes, they're in all the media convincing beautiful girls that they should be stick insects.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: it's horribly immoral, and you all know how I am about things that are horribly immoral

I really doubt that you're incapable of seperating "what bj's personal/religious beliefs" are and "proper governmental procedure." Hell, I dont like prostitution either, but that doesnt mean I think that it shoudl be illegal. I dont like cigarettes, but I dont think they should be illegal. I dont like country music, but I dont think it should be illegal etc.

Posted by Iris

What you like and dislike is pretty different from immoralities dear. It's like comparing rap music to gay marriage. You can find rap music annoying, but it's not a big concern to your beliefs. However, homosexuals wedding could be a huge punch in the face towards your moral and religious beliefs because it could be something you are disgusted by and you earnestly detest do to the personal beliefs you've held your whole life. It's difficult to just say "well, I guess I can live with it" unless you're completely apathetic on moral issues.

Rather than considering prostitution as an unimportant factor in their life, there's many people who just believe that it's wrong. It's not as if they don't have any reason behind their belief, but it's not something people can merely accept when exposed to the opinions of other's on it.

Oh, and so you don't throw it in my face that I'm an ignorant close-minded bigot, I'll have you know I don't have any problem whatsoever with gay marriage or rap music.

Posted by Arwon

Yes, but wrong != illegal. It happens regardless of legality or illegality. The point is how best to minimise the damage it does to all involved. And it's pretty clear that legalising it works better, when you compare the situation in places where it's illegal (like, say, most of the US) to places where it's legal (Australia, much of Europe). There's less disease and exploitatation and abuse, because the women aren't outside the law and aren't affraid to access things like the health and justice systems. Legality isn't about saying it's a good thing, it's about making a thing that's going to exist either way, less harmful.

Posted by Lord of Spam

wow, way to miss the point entirely. I wasnt talking about liking or not liking something being criteria for legislation, i was commenting that I thought he was smart enough to realize that there isnt much legal justification for continuing to criminalizing it being more important than it going against the morals of certain people.

Laws dont exist (or at least shouldnt) to legislate morality. Government is there to provide a stabile and safe envirnment for society to function in, nto tell that society how to act or who to be.

And if you were trying to tie your crap about rap into my comment about country, that was a ****ing joke. And I can construct an argument for or against pretty much anything you want to throw up as an example, so dont bother with the "omg but it might offend som1". Everything offends someone; deal with it.

Posted by Arwon

To echo LoS, policy shouldn't be about morality. Well, not that sort of morality, the sort held only by some people. Policy should effectively be amoral, it should be about effectiveness and safety and reduction of harm and so forth. It should look at a situation and ask how to ensure the best outcomes given that you can't eliminate most practises. The war on drugs is a prime example, and I've spoken before about the harmful effects of an overly moralistic drug policy which ignores the need to reduce harm through things like decriminalisation of possession and methodone clinics and heroin maintaince.

Sometimes morality is counterproductive to effective policy that makes people safer, because the reflexive thing to do if something is seen as immoral is to ban it. However, often an unregulated, underground practise is far worse than a legal but carefully regulated one. Prostitution is a prime example of this. Surely it is more immoral to perpetuate a greater level of suffering and hardship in the name of "morality" than to grudgingly accept that something WILL occur, but look at how we can make it safer and healthier and so forth. See also, moralistic but harmful bans on contraception, for another example of morality being directly counterproductive.

Posted by Iris

It's not that it's illegal because it conflicts with our personal beliefs, we just don't want to do anything that panders to prostitution because it conflicts with our personal beliefs. Rather than allowing even more access to something we dislike and that will still be harmful, immoral, and overpopular by legalizing it, we'd rather try harder to prevent it from happening in the first place. Sure, it can't be stopped, but if we can be more dilligent with prevention, it could be kept to a minimum. Maybe installing cameras at stop lights or being more thorough with busting prostitution stings.

I mean, clearly the, uh, product isn't just going to run out if it were legalized. There's going to be a lot of people being admitted to whorehouses (I wonder if you have to apply. How do you apply?) and I don't see how one should be encouraged to do so.

Posted by Arwon

Banning and eliminating doesn't work though. It never has. In any country where it's illegal, there's still prostitution (well, except for maybe countries where they stone them and stuff). Even when there's will to crack down, political corruption and sleaze and organised crime mean you're never going to truly get rid of it. And the problem is that the "prevention" is directly harmful to the most vulnerable, the sex workers themselves. They get victimised by the laws, they get arrested and jailed, they get abused and diseased can't seek help because it means admitting they've done something illegal and therefore risk arrest. Under virtually any legal system in the western world where prostitution is illegal, the sex workers are FAR more likely to be victimised than the johns or the pimps. That's just how it works.

Moreover, the conception that you're going to massively popularise it by legalising it simply doesn't wash. I recognise the argument that "legalisation = condoning = more of it" and it's an argument that you see on a wide range of issues. Sometimes it's valid, but not with prostitution. It's simply not the case. Even if it did increase the occurrence a little, is that really such a big price to pay in exchange for drastic reductions in abuse and insecurity?

But at any rate, it's not the case. If it were the case that legal recognition of sex work massively increased its occurrence, there'd be brothels on every corner and ads on TV here in Sydney, which is simply not the case. It's possible to legalise it and still restrict it, through things like licensing and zoning laws. It's a marginal profession, same as it always has been, since the dawn of civilisation. The difference is the sex workers at least have some measure of safety and security. I'll take that over misguided moralism as the best possible response.

As I say, the moralism is reflexive and it doesn't really consider the ramifications in full. It's a similar sort of moralism that condemns junkies to die in the gutter because it says we cant be encouraging them by giving them clinics or needle-exchange programs... that condemns teenage mothers because hey, sex before marriage is immoral. It condemns sex workers to abuse and insecurity because hey, if we give them legal recognition and protection and support from the health system, that would be condoning it. It's a widespread thing in society, but it must be railed against. From guns to hate speech to abortion to drugs to teenage sex, the essential problem is, when we don't like things, the reflexive thing to do is to think we should ban them, thinking that's the best way to minimise the problem. Unfortuantely, usually it isn't and that's when we run into problems.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Personal/religious beliefs and law should never go hand in hand. Unfortunately they do in this country.[/COLOR]

Quoting Arwon: Banning and eliminating doesn't work though. It never has. In any country where it's illegal, there's still prostitution. Even when there's will to crack down, political corruption and sleaze and organised crime mean you're never going to truly get rid of it.

[COLOR="Yellow"]A good example. Here in the states there are commercials intended for teens about the dangers of drugs which run constantly on T.V. They don't actually teach or inform about the effects of different drugs, they simply consist of things such as someone driving a car high and running over a kid on a bicycle thus killing him. That's it, cut to black, and the commercial's over. Polls and studies around the country show that kids think these ads are a fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king joke and in no way changes their minds about trying drugs. What are the advertiser's response to studies like this? Throw them away and keep showing more of the same ads. They know the commercials don't work, yet they insist on showing them, that is way pothead behavior.

A definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expect to get different results. Harsher and tougher prostitution laws won't make it go away, it will only make it more illegal and a lot more unsafe.[/COLOR]

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: Personal/religious beliefs and law should never go hand in hand. Unfortunately they do in our country

When you really think about it, isnt everything someones personel belief one way or another?

How many dudes here, would honestly take advantage of prostitution? America, my friends, is the land of dreams! Ripe with gorgeous women just waiting for someone to sweep them off their feet! ... or at least treat them nice, buy em dinner and talk to them. What is the need for prostitution? Its like catching fish in one of those stupid stocked ponds where you pay a 10 bucks and are gaurenteed a certain amount of fish.... Besides that if prostitution became legal think of all the feminist groups that would freak out for all kinds of weird reasons. Its just not worth it to enough people.

Posted by Bebop

I'm sticking with the "it's sick and disgusting" route. As far as super models and strippers are concerned they are not the same to whores.

Posted by Lord of Spam

"It's not that it's illegal because it conflicts with our personal beliefs, we just don't want to do anything that panders to prostitution because it conflicts with our personal beliefs"

Maybe its the fact that its 730 am and i just woke up 5 minutes ago, but does nobody else see this? I mean, COME ON now...

Posted by Arwon

Spec's actually hit on something there. Prostitution is an extremely contentious issue for feminism and there's an enormously wide spectrum of views among different feminist thinkers. Feminism isn't homogenous, after all.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: Spec's actually hit on something there. Prostitution is an extremely contentious issue for feminism and there's an enormously wide spectrum of views among different feminist thinkers. Feminism isn't homogenous, after all.

.....booyahh!!!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

the funny thing is- you say that "some" people find it immoral. . . I think it's one of the few issues that **** near everybody finds immoral, but for some reason think it should be legal because they can't concoct some logical reasoning for it being legal. Bull****. If the majority of the people find it immoral, have them pressure their representatives to vote it illegal. That's how a republic works, not this crap where people support something they're ALL die-hard against because they don't want to step on any toes.

Posted by Iris

yeah. :/ Let's compare it to streaking for example. It doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't influence drugs, crimes, or violence. It doesn't really ruin anything (except furniture if it's some one dirty).

So why is it illegal? Because it creates an uncomfortable environment for people. You can start with your "I'm not afraid of naked people lol" bull****, but the truth is most people would be disturbed by casual nudity. Compared to Prostitution, something that really DOES hurt people, I'd say it's only sensible to legalize that before prostitution. I mean hey, we've already got tube tops and hot pants! Why not just allow whoever wants to get nude to do so? It's not as if walking down a street in the buff would ever cause any problems... right?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: the funny thing is- you say that "some" people find it immoral. . . I think it's one of the few issues that **** near everybody finds immoral, but for some reason think it should be legal because they can't concoct some logical reasoning for it being legal. Bull****. If the majority of the people find it immoral, have them pressure their representatives to vote it illegal. That's how a republic works, not this crap where people support something they're ALL die-hard against because they don't want to step on any toes.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Logical reasoning for it being legal? Liberty and freedom of choice maybe? I certainly don't find it immoral, it's just selling of sex. Nothing to be so uptight about.

Iris. Unlike prostitution, streaking isn't illegal to do inside your house or somewhere where nobody sees you doing it. Making you feel uncomfortable isn't reason enough to make something illegal. If someone knocks on your door and forces you to have sex with them for money, that should be illegal. But legalised prostitution inside a brothel, behind closed doors is harmless and can't make you feel uncomfortable, unless you keep thinking about and won't let it go.

The first rule of bulls[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it is when someone says there ought to be a law, there probably ough'nt.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Logical reasoning for it being legal? Liberty and freedom of choice maybe? I certainly don't find it immoral, it's just selling of sex. Nothing to be so uptight about.

Iris. Unlike prostitution, streaking isn't illegal to do inside your house or somewhere where nobody sees you doing it. Making you feel uncomfortable isn't reason enough to make something illegal. If someone knocks on your door and forces you to have sex with them for money, that should be illegal. But legalised prostitution inside a brothel, behind closed doors is harmless and can't make you feel uncomfortable, unless you keep thinking about and won't let it go.

The first rule of bulls[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it is when someone says there ought to be a law, there probably ough'nt.[/COLOR]

it's this type of moral relativist bulls[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it that's screwing up this country. And that quote is stupid.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: It doesn't influence drugs, crimes, or violence. It doesn't really ruin anything (except furniture if it's some one dirty).

Beg to differ. Prostitution is legal in Japan, and its used by alot of people to help fund mafi type groups.
Went randomly exploring one weekend, and discovered myself in one of these whore districts, and also discovered a bunch of dudes in weird *** suits who werent happy to see us, so we hauled balls to a taxi.

Posted by The Judge

Funfact: Streaking is a public act. Being nude in your house is called being nude.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: the funny thing is- you say that "some" people find it immoral. . . I think it's one of the few issues that **** near everybody finds immoral, but for some reason think it should be legal because they can't concoct some logical reasoning for it being legal. Bull****. If the majority of the people find it immoral, have them pressure their representatives to vote it illegal. That's how a republic works, not this crap where people support something they're ALL die-hard against because they don't want to step on any toes.

No, it's because it does less harm being legalised and regulatable, than driven underground. We're not taking lessaiz faire approaches here (hell, I think in NSW it remains *technically* illegal though not enforced), we're talking laws treating it as the complicated grey area that it is, laws which don't punish and victimise sex workers or expose them to unnecessary risk and exploitation as laws banning sex work do.

When you legalise it you can keep it to certain areas through zoning and licensing laws, you can enforce standards of health and hygiene and safety and stuff. You can even keep pimping illegal, as most places with legalised sex work do, and still fight sex trafficking and sexual slavery through the regulatory mechanisms.

That stuff's gotta be a higher priority for government than making the icky things illegal because they make people, to quote Iris, "uncomfortable". That's not relativism, it's sensible policy that recognises that it has to go beyond simplistic moral judgements and look at practicalities.

Well that's part of it... all that rhetoric about individual choice and victimless crimes and that is still important, too. Don't ban things that don't hurt anyone, be they gun ownership or prostitution or whatever. At most, you legislate to keep the most grievous risks and dangers to a minimum.

Also, fun fact from Wikipedia: In Japan vaginal prostitution is illegal but fellatio prostitution is legal, because women who perform fellatio for money are not considered prostitutes.

Posted by Crazy K

I think it should be legal. I myself would not pay to have sex with a woman who could be infested with many STD's. But people do choose to pay for that kind of thing.

I watched a show one time and it was about a company that was basically of prostitution. Men, Women, or couples would come to this place and pick whoever they wanted to have sex with. And of course both the prostitute and the other person will have to be clean of diseases. If prostitution were to be legalized, then that would be the logical idea.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

frankly I don't think "practicalities" overrule it when something is just blatantly wrong. Like I said before... let the states vote on it and enforce based upon that which they vote. You know, the way the country was originally intended to run.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Crazy K: I watched a show one time and it was about a company that was basically of prostitution. Men, Women, or couples would come to this place and pick whoever they wanted to have sex with. And of course both the prostitute and the other person will have to be clean of diseases. If prostitution were to be legalized, then that would be the logical idea.

In an ideal world, maybe. But it's not an ideal world, and it's basically impossible to screen everybody for diseases.

Anyway, this sort of 'work' is very difficult to monitor, etc.
If criminals are going to exploit this area when it's illegal, it's even more likely that they'll do so when it's legal.

Anyway, you can't have laws without guiding poeple's morals. Many laws are based on morals. For there to be a set of rules in anything, you must start with a few base assumptions, which you derive everything else from. One is, killing/injuring an innocent person is illegal. That's a moral. Stealing is illegal. That's a moral. Giving false evidence against someone is illegal. That's also a moral. Basically, you can't have logic, or a set of logical rules, without some base to expand from. With our laws, the start point is basic morals.

And Spec, you post rather intelligently when you're not drunk. Do this more often.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't see why we should make the world safer for people who do something that is morally wrong and know it at the expense of everyone else.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]It might be uncomfortable or unchristian or an act of blasphemy to some people (especially those advocating dumb s[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it like abstinence), but morally wrong? Ha, f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck no.

It's just consentual sex between adults. If you don't like it, don't do it, deal with it and worry about your own problems. Arwon is right, laws should be put in place to protect people, and we shouldn't make people's lives more difficult by banning things that some groups find inmoral.[/COLOR]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Having sex for money is wrong.

Proper ladies give it up for free.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]It might be uncomfortable or unchristian or an act of blasphemy to some people (especially those advocating dumb s[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it like abstinence), but morally wrong? Ha, f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck no.[/COLOR]

It's a sad reflection of society when 13 year old boys don't see prostitution as morally wrong and don;t understand how unfunny the daily show is. :(

I wouldnt even say its consenting. A hooker isnt consenting because of the partner. Shes consented because of the money. SHE IS HAVING SEX WITH DA MONEYEZZZAA.

In any case the situation in England works fine. Its legal to do so meaning people with no morals can't whine about it being a restrction on their freedom but it's illegal to advertise meaning it's a crippled struggling business.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bebop: I wouldnt even say its consenting. A hooker isnt consenting because of the partner. Shes consented because of the money.

[COLOR="Yellow"]NO S[COLOR="Yellow"]H[/COLOR]IT! THAT'S THE POINT OF PROSTITUTION, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE F[COLOR="Yellow"]U[/COLOR]CK CONSENTING MEANS?

Man: How much for for sex?
Hooker: $500
Man: Ok, i agree.
Hooker: I agree too.
*handshake*

That is consenting genius.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]It might be uncomfortable or unchristian or an act of blasphemy to some people (especially those advocating dumb s[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it like abstinence), but morally wrong? Ha, f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck no.

It's just consentual sex between adults. If you don't like it, don't do it, deal with it and worry about your own problems. Arwon is right, laws should be put in place to protect people, and we shouldn't make people's lives more difficult by banning things that some groups find inmoral.[/COLOR]

I don't find murder immoral.
There are people who do not find stealing immoral either.

Therefore, the government cannot regulate it, as it's either "please everyone" or "please nobody at all"

hig's post has been the best so far. The majority of laws are based off some morality. Of course, you ignored his post because you couldn't refute it. You do that alot.

Posted by Arwon

There's a difference between laws having something to do with morality, and morality being enough for there to be a law. In the end, the bigger factor still has to be harms and cost/benefit analyses of banning vs allowing vs some regulatory framework between the two extremes.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting higbvuyb: Anyway, you can't have laws without guiding poeple's morals. Many laws are based on morals. For there to be a set of rules in anything, you must start with a few base assumptions, which you derive everything else from. One is, killing/injuring an innocent person is illegal. That's a moral. Stealing is illegal. That's a moral. Giving false evidence against someone is illegal. That's also a moral. Basically, you can't have logic, or a set of logical rules, without some base to expand from. With our laws, the start point is basic morals.

I disagree. I would say that the purpose of most laws is to create a stable and viable society for humans to function in. Were murder to be legal, things would be a lot less stable, and the same is true for stealing etc. That being said, under this model its entirely possible for prostitution to be legal and regulated, since maintaining a disease free industry would be in the best interest of the public.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]NO S[COLOR="Yellow"]H[/COLOR]IT! THAT'S THE POINT OF PROSTITUTION, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE F[COLOR="Yellow"]U[/COLOR]CK CONSENTING MEANS?

Man: How much for for sex?
Hooker: $500
Man: Ok, i agree.
Hooker: I agree too.
*handshake*

That is consenting genius.[/COLOR]

Sounds more like a bribe to me. i say if you're only going to do something you wouldn't normally do just beacuse theres money involved it's not really consenting.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, it is, actually. As long as nobody is forcing you, its a valid consent. And since nobody is forcing anyone to be in it, its valid.

Posted by Bebop

I wouldnt say so personally. If it takes a 3rd party, in this case money, to make you do something with a 2nd you wouldnt do normally it's not the same as to agreeing to it first time round.

Posted by Lord of Spam

In that case, nothning you do is voluntary, since there is always some sort of reinforcement for it. So congrats, by your logic every person on earth ios a mindless, consentless husk of a drone*oscar*

Posted by Bebop

True dat.

But I'm not talking about everything. Just being a whore. For cash.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]Having sex for money is wrong.

Proper ladies give it up for free.

No they don't, sluts give it up for free. Real women must be courted, and that isn't free by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you're spending money to court her to get her to put out, theres a word for that.

Its called prostitution.

if you're going to argue the "love blah blah sign of affection" thing, then my point IS correct that ladies give it up free. If theres any money required for anything to get them to put out, they're a whore.

Posted by Iris

Buy me a diamond ring and even I'd be inclined to sleep with you, LoS.

Yeah, most women won't be putting out if you pay them, but it's easy to guilt trip them. If your lover does something nice for you, it's easier to pay them back that way and make them feel good without spending money.

Posted by Fate

A teddy bear as tall as me = instant sex

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]If you're spending money to court her to get her to put out, theres a word for that.

Its called prostitution.

if you're going to argue the "love blah blah sign of affection" thing, then my point IS correct that ladies give it up free. If theres any money required for anything to get them to put out, they're a whore.

Love and affection most certainly does NOT mean free. Really showing a woman that you love her takes time, planning, thinking and a lot of effort every single day. If it doesn't then you're not doing it right.

This is precisely what I mean by "morals of the average 19 year old male". Most guys my age don't have a clue what love is, or even care. Most largely think with their cocks and brand any other guy a homosexual if they don't. Sex requires wealth or promiscuous behaviour from the other party, such narrow minds won't allow for anything else, certainly not something so deep and utterly indescribable.

Good thing such immature people don't make the rules on this planet.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]o_O

You sound like a chick.[/COLOR]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Love and affection most certainly does NOT mean free. Really showing a woman that you love her takes time, planning, thinking and a lot of effort every single day. If it doesn't then you're not doing it right.

This is precisely what I mean by "morals of the average 19 year old male". Most guys my age don't have a clue what love is, or even care. Most largely think with their cocks and brand any other guy a homosexual if they don't. Sex requires wealth or promiscuous behaviour from the other party, such narrow minds won't allow for anything else, certainly not something so deep and utterly indescribable.

Good thing such immature people don't make the rules on this planet.

Showing someone that you love them doesnt require that much effort if you really mean it. It should be obvious by your interactions that you do. if you have to try, theres something wrong. Also, make more assumptions. It makes you sound smarter.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Lord of Spam: I disagree. I would say that the purpose of most laws is to create a stable and viable society for humans to function in. Were murder to be legal, things would be a lot less stable, and the same is true for stealing etc. That being said, under this model its entirely possible for prostitution to be legal and regulated, since maintaining a disease free industry would be in the best interest of the public.

Unfortunately, maintaining a disease-free industry is almsot impossible: testing is not instant, there is a pretty long wait time, you'd have to be tested for every single possible disease, the tests aren't perfectly accurate, and by the time the tests arrive, you could have gotten yourself another disease.

And the laws (could) include many different things that aren't necessary to a viable and stable society. For example, it isn't necessary to be democratic, you can have a stable and viable dictatorship.

Also, if there was a clearly defined and reinforced process which allowed you to kill random people, and people didn't care that this was morally wrong, it could be stable and viable, yet we don't do this, because it's morally wrong.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting higbvuyb: Unfortunately, maintaining a disease-free industry is almsot impossible: testing is not instant, there is a pretty long wait time, you'd have to be tested for every single possible disease, the tests aren't perfectly accurate, and by the time the tests arrive, you could have gotten yourself another disease.

And the laws (could) include many different things that aren't necessary to a viable and stable society. For example, it isn't necessary to be democratic, you can have a stable and viable dictatorship.

Also, if there was a clearly defined and reinforced process which allowed you to kill random people, and people didn't care that this was morally wrong, it could be stable and viable, yet we don't do this, because it's morally wrong.

1)Other countires have legalised and regulated it, and as far as I know they havent really had any problems with massive outbreaks, so previous experiance negates that.

2)Dictatorships, being subject to the whims of the leader, are inherently unpredictable. When your leaders word is law, theres not much judicial review, which means your entire society hinges on him (or her (hopefully him)) being in a good mood. I dont know about you, but that doesnt seem very safe and stable.

3) I would totally be for a system of duels (sanctioned and regulated death competitions). Have it be set up so that both parties have to consent and fill out paperwork to that effect, have them wait for a while, talk to a shrink to make sure they're in proper mental health, and then pace out to ten turn and shoot (or whatever they want to do). It would be pretty badass, actually, to be able to challenge someone to a duel and be serious about it. It wouldnt hurt anyone other than the willing participants, and would be safe and regulated (well, safe assuming you didnt lose, but thats sort of the point of a duel).

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lord of Spam: Showing someone that you love them doesnt require that much effort if you really mean it. It should be obvious by your interactions that you do. if you have to try, theres something wrong. Also, make more assumptions. It makes you sound smarter.

Guy meets girl for the first time:I love you.
Girl: Wow I totally beleive you.

That girls an idiot.

In fact she sounds like a hooker.

I wonder if reality says any different.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You dont love someone the instant you meet them. Thats called infatuation or lust, both of which are entirely different concepts. your argument is null.

Posted by Bebop

You said that if you have to try and prove to someone you love them than theres something wrong. This implies that if someone beleives you straight away, as in without effort, you are doing something correct. I think reality disagrees with that.

Oh and I meant it like it's the first time the girl has see the guy. The guy could have seen her from away. Yet there he is showing someone he loves them and really meaning it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

wow, you are a total moron.

You dont have to love someone to be in a relationship with them. What I was refering to is that it should be pobvious to both parties that you've moved past the "hey we're just screwing around having fun" phase. If you care, it would be obviouis by your normal day to day interactions, attitude and behavior.

Also, it doesnt matter if he's seen her from far away. you have to KNOW someone before you can love them, otherweise its not real.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Lord of Spam: 1)Other countires have legalised and regulated it, and as far as I know they havent really had any problems with massive outbreaks, so previous experiance negates that.
How about, massive numbers of people don't use those services in teh first place? ANd just like you can't compare gun crime statistics from America with statistics with Asutralia, you can't compare these countries with the US, becuase they are different.

Quoted post: 2)Dictatorships, being subject to the whims of the leader, are inherently unpredictable. When your leaders word is law, theres not much judicial review, which means your entire society hinges on him (or her (hopefully him)) being in a good mood. I dont know about you, but that doesnt seem very safe and stable.

No, but a dictatorship doesn't immediately imply instablility, beither doess democracy imply stability. In fact, political dissent destabilises society. For example, a 1984-esque society is stable, yet it is not right.

[quote]3) I would totally be for a system of duels (sanctioned and regulated death competitions). Have it be set up so that both parties have to consent and fill out paperwork to that effect, have them wait for a while, talk to a shrink to make sure they're in proper mental health, and then pace out to ten turn and shoot (or whatever they want to do). It would be pretty badass, actually, to be able to challenge someone to a duel and be serious about it. It wouldnt hurt anyone other than the willing participants, and would be safe and regulated (well, safe assuming you didnt lose, but thats sort of the point of a duel).

No, I mean that if nobody objected to the right to randomly kill innocent people, and you were given a certain quota per year, this could be stable, but it's still not right. It's morally right to do all those procedures you've mentioned if two people are intent on a duel, none of those are lreated to the stability of society as a whole.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting higbvuyb: How about, massive numbers of people don't use those services in teh first place? ANd just like you can't compare gun crime statistics from America with statistics with Asutralia, you can't compare these countries with the US, becuase they are different.

No, but a dictatorship doesn't immediately imply instablility, but neither doess democracy imply stability. In fact, political dissent destabilises society. For example, a 1984-esque society is stable, yet it is not right.

No, I mean that if nobody objected to the right to randomly kill innocent people, and you were given a certain quota per year, this could be stable, but it's still not right. It's morally right to do all those procedures you've mentioned if two people are intent on a duel, none of those are lreated to the stability of society as a whole.

1)What makes you think that massive amounts of peopel are going to sue it here? It would still have the social stigma attached to it (both for moral reasons as well as the "lol you have to pay for sex, what a loser" reason). Juse because something is legal doesnt mean everyone is going to do it.

2)Political dissent in a democracy forces the masses to analyze the actions of the leaders in power, thus forcing them to at hte very least keep somewhat of a centerline approach. Without that, its back to what ever the leader wants. Also, dont try to use a society that changes its entire history everytime the war changes as an example of stability.

3)Killing random people is inherently unstable. Hell, the word RANDOM sorta makes that abundantly obvious I would think. What if I want to kill the president? What if the person I want to kill is a pilot in the middle of a flight over the pacific? What if the person I want to kill is the lone guy on shift at a nuclear power plant? What you are proposing is inherently unstable, as all you're doing is legalising murder. the fine distinction between what you propose and what I proposed is that in mine, you can just say "nah, thats cool. i'd rather not risk death" and walk away. By removing the requirement of consent and regulation, you introduce randomness that would quickly destabilze a society.

Posted by Breakman

I think prostitution is a pretty stupid "line of work", but hey, if you wanna do it, go ahead. The only clients you'll get are people who willingly want it, and you're not hurting anyone who doesn't understand the risks in most cases, so make it legal if you want, doesn't bother me.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Lord of Spam: 1)What makes you think that massive amounts of peopel are going to sue it here? It would still have the social stigma attached to it (both for moral reasons as well as the "lol you have to pay for sex, what a loser" reason). Juse because something is legal doesnt mean everyone is going to do it.
I never said that massive number of people will do that. However, massive numbers of people who do so might get a disease. For example, in parts of India, AIDS prevalence in the industry is 60%. WHich can spread to the rest of the population.

Quoted post: 2)Political dissent in a democracy forces the masses to analyze the actions of the leaders in power, thus forcing them to at hte very least keep somewhat of a centerline approach. Without that, its back to what ever the leader wants.
Remember, a sane leader, even a dictator wants stability first, because they don't want an uprising to remove them from power.

Also, dont try to use a society that changes its entire history everytime the war changes as an example of stability.

It is stable, because everybody is too brainwashed to cause major instability.

[quote]3)Killing random people is inherently unstable. Hell, the word RANDOM sorta makes that abundantly obvious I would think. What if I want to kill the president? What if the person I want to kill is a pilot in the middle of a flight over the pacific? What if the person I want to kill is the lone guy on shift at a nuclear power plant? What you are proposing is inherently unstable, as all you're doing is legalising murder. the fine distinction between what you propose and what I proposed is that in mine, you can just say "nah, thats cool. i'd rather not risk death" and walk away. By removing the requirement of consent and regulation, you introduce randomness that would quickly destabilze a society.

How is it unstable if it's regulated, and people have no (moral, mostly) problems with it? Regulated, as in if the person is currently performing an important function, it must be done after, etc. I'm not talking about any aspect other than morals. For example, it's not illogical to kill the average person, given their miniscule contribution to society, and their cost to the environment. It's not illogical to use torture and other such methods on possible terrorists, either. However, both are morally wrong, and the US Government even just recently passed a law preventing the latter.

Posted by Arwon

What the hell are you people arguing about now?

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Something about legalized duels and dictatorships i think???[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Arwon: What the hell are you people arguing about now?

Rape blame

Posted by Lord of Spam

Its all bebops fault.

Case closed.