Ipod has competition.

Posted by Xero

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/21/zune-what-we-know-think-we-know-and-dont-yet-know/

Yup. Zune from microsoft is coming soon.

Looks like a nice device. But I'll stick with my walkman and my CDs.

Discuss.

Posted by Klarth

technology board

Also, the Zune reportedly has something like nine hours' battery, which isn't much competition for iTunes' twenty-four.

Posted by Arcadios

Ipod is too big.
Wish they could be over taken thou. =(

Posted by WackoHater2

I was reading about this earlier in a GameInformer magazine. It looks alright. I'll stick with my iRiver until I can buy an iPod.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: technology board

Also, the Zune reportedly has something like nine hours' battery, which isn't much competition for iTunes' twenty-four.

Yeah thats the part where it sucks, because I listen to 9 hours of music per week...

Posted by Lord of Spam

I pods tend to be over kill. the only thing they have that i wish my mp3 player had was a rechargeable battery. but even then, i go through like one or two AAAs a week, so its not that bad.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Competition? lol. Zune will have a good run this holiday season due to the lack of anything much from Apple, but when the new iPods get released, or 6G comes out, Zune's finished.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: technology board

Reportedly. Microsoft (the last time I checked) isn't that stupid, even though they utterly fail at designing hardware other than keyboards, and mice, and teh Zune looks almost as bad as a Creative player.

And also, given that iTunes has a battery life of zero, (being software and not having internal batteries), that's a lot of competition.

Posted by Klarth

Shut up, shut up, you know ****ed well what I meant to say. :(

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

[url=http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/01/toshiba-drops-a-bomb-gigabeat-v-in-the-us/]Hih, I'm the Gigabeat V-Series. The company that made me, Toshiba, pretty much carried Microsoft on its shoulders when they built the Zune - but they used all that experience to build a cheaper, better model in me. 25 hours of music, eight hours of video. That's more than the PSP or the iPod.

I rock.[/url]

Posted by Arcadios

Meh, I'm still sticking with my S series Gigabeat. =)

Posted by Speedfreak

iPod already has competition from Sandisk, they're No.2 in mp3 players with their Sansas. I have one, it beats the crap out of iPod Nano.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro: Competition? lol. Zune will have a good run this holiday season due to the lack of anything much from Apple, but when the new iPods get released, or 6G comes out, Zune's finished.

Probably, unless microsoft improves Zune as well. They just need to hope that Ipod takes a while so they can think of something.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

my ipod's broken three times on me, so I'm looking forward to this

Quoted post: Probably, unless microsoft improves Zune as well. They just need to hope that Ipod takes a while so they can think of something.

No and no. Chances are, nothing will overthrow the iPod empire for a long time. By the time Zune 2 comes out, the sixth generation of iPod will be on the shelves or right around the corner... thus, most likely, crushing the Zune.

Posted by maian

This must be the 15th "iPod killer" I've seen. Honestly, it won't overthrow the iPod, or most likely stand up to it.

Whether it's made by Sony, Microsoft, or ***, I don't see the iPod moving for a long time.

Posted by keyartist

Anything you can fit in your pocket and plays the tunes you like is good enough for me. The Zune looks plain and simple, that sometimes is a good thing.

Posted by cas

Quoting Lord of Spam: I pods tend to be over kill. the only thing they have that i wish my mp3 player had was a rechargeable battery. but even then, i go through like one or two AAAs a week, so its not that bad.

Wow. You really suck. ;)

Find yourself a Rayovac NiMH rechargable kit and enjoy the battery life. And not feeling like wasting money all the time by throwing out the batteries, and having to buy new ones. Bulk deals or no, it is still a waste when you can easily recharge them.

PS: mine recharge in 15 minutes, dead to full(AA and AAA). AND to top it all off, they are a sexy silver and black. <3

I'm not sure what to think about Zune. I read that they wont support the current DRM schemes which REALLY ****ing blows. iPod may be the way for me to go, because all i want is a player that will hold a buttload of mp3s and wont force me to buy them "legally" or infect them with DRM or wtf. If i could just drag and drop from computer to player as simply as to a usb flash stick then i approve.

Posted by Apathetic

Ill probably stick with ipods since im mainstream whore. lol.

Quoted post: The Zune looks plain and simple, that sometimes is a good thing.

Yes, because the iPod is so terribly confusing and complicated, right?

It's one of the most basic and easy to use gadgets out there....

Posted by Richaod

There's absolutely no way I'd get one if it had to sync with Windows Media Player, it's just plain horrible. Otherwise, the Zune seems okay though - although the name is bad, it's not quite at the level of "Wii"...

I like iPods, but for their tendency to break down a few days after your warranty expires.

Quoted post: although the name is bad, it's not quite at the level of "Wii"...

Better than "ipod"

Posted by mis0

See, the iPod has something the rest of them don't: street cred. iPods are just cool, often for no particular reason. Sort of like the Corvette. They've been around forever, have their flaws, and maybe aren't as good as some competition but they still don't have any "real" competition because they are cool, and people will buy them anyway.

I've had one iPod that just broke for no reason at all (Shuffle), and another that I've beat the **** out of for over a year and a half now (I'm talking water, extreme heat, etc - also a Shuffle) and I'm pretty happy with it. BUT, the new, smaller, aluminum, 1GB Shuffle that's going for only $80 is what I'm going to replace it with. Unless you have thousands of songs, I don't see why the screen is necessary and it attributes to a very long lasting player. I won't get anything else. And hell, I get a 512MB flashdrive out of the deal, too. :cool:

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro: Better than "ipod"

Yeah Zune sounds good.

No it doesn't. It's a retarded name. iPod just happens be to worse.

Posted by Xero

**** you're negative. Ok let me put it this way: I (me,myself and I) think that the name ZUNE sounds good. And it's MY opinion.

Posted by Bebop

This looks crap. BEBOP HAS SPOKEN

Quoted post: And it's MY opinion.

And it's wrong.