Wii Sports deeper than we realised?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote]In Wii Tennis, we'd like to clear up certain assumptions about movement on the tennis course. First of all, you will need to determine and use the required swing. For example, if the ball coming towards you requires a backhand swing, you will miss it if you don't perform a backhand swing. Meaning, you can't just wildly hit the ball no matter what kind of swing you do. The game fully maps every swing. It even maps whether you follow your swing the whole way through. Another important note is that while there is no 1:1 movement, there are options to move across the court. For example, you can decide to play the backcourt or play the net. I don't recall how this was performed, but I believe by stabbing the Wii remote forward you move your character closer to the net. This is crucial to those thinking there was no court placement strategy in the game because there is.
Wii Baseball kind of plays like Mario Baseball. It isn't just a homerun derby. You can get singles and put a man on base. Then you have the opportunity to bring the man home by scoring another hit. You keep offense until you get three outs. Then you switch. Nintendo also added the ability to pitch against your opponent, making it a two-sided affair now. You can throw a screw ball, fast ball, and curve ball. And it isn't as easy to hit a homerun as past videos have shown.

Wii Boxing is the only Wii Sports game to use the Wiimote and the Nunchuk. While you don't move your character, you control the blocks and evades while you also control your left/right strikes. Jabs, hooks, and uppercuts are all mapped out accurately. The game is definitely a throwback to Punch-Out under the Wii Sports banner. This one is sure to be a huge hit.

The entire WiiSports line-up has an interesting presentation style almost mimicking an ESPN telecast. Replays and constant Wii Sports banners are shown during gameplay. Wii Sports also has some amazing textures -- real-time shadowing and nice reflections. The textures are what really makes this game graphically next-gen (if you look at recent videos you can see they have actually upped the graphics a heck of a lot - Speedy). Finally, in regards to gameplay, there is much mystery as to how deep and well presented a full single player session will be. Stay tuned for more details.

Neat!

Posted by Hyper

At first I wasn't really excited about this, but it sounds pretty cool now especially considering they've put more work into it than you can see by the videos.

Too bad a billiards game isn't included. What game had that? That'd be great with the Wiimote.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Hyper]At first I wasn't really excited about this, but it sounds pretty cool now especially considering they've put more work into it than you can see by the videos.

Too bad a billiards game isn't included. What game had that? That'd be great with the Wiimote.

The billiards game is in another Wii complilation, Wii play, it includes things like Duck Hunt and maybe the airplane demo.

Posted by Hyper

Ah, okay. That's a definite buy for me; Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Didn't WiiSports get bowling added as well?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, it certainly is one hell of a beautiful game.

but srsly, it's free. It could look like an NES game and I'd still play the hell out of it. I'm not really worried about it looking "next-gen," especially since the style has grown on me.

Posted by Bebop

I noticed the improved visuals. Let's be honest though, the best part about Wii Sports is using your Mii.

Posted by Klarth

Isn't the flight game reportedly being distributed on the VC?

Posted by Bebop

You mean the plane thing right? That's been moved to a separte thing I beleive. It's either Wii Play or Wii air or something.

Posted by TendoAddict

Im not surpised by the tennis one. If would be trival to put so much technology in a controller just for you to shack a stick for the same effect that pressing A did on the Game cube.

BaseBall is cool though. Its nice to hear that you can be stratigic rather then one way or the high way. Pitching sounds cool too.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Hyper:

Billards would be [SIZE="4"]THE[/SIZE] $hit with the Wiimote.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Roger Smith]Billards would be the $hit with the Wiimote.

Yeah, because we all know the remote can't detect how close it is to the sensor bar, and thus serve as a virtual pool cue.

OH WAIT.

Posted by Bebop

THE $hit, Adam. THE.

Posted by Speedfreak

IF YOU DON'T CAPITALISE "THE" IT DOESN'T COUNT. =(

Posted by Drewboy64

Billiards and ping pong and such are in Wii Play. When does that come out, anyway? I herad if you buy it you get a free wiimote (or at least a discount orseomthing in japan)...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Let's be honest though, the best part about Wii Sports is using your Mii.

gonna suck because i know i'll never get one that looks like "mii"

plus, lawd knows I'm just going to use a female template and hope I can dress them in bra and panties.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro:
plus, lawd knows I'm just going to use a female template and hope I can dress them in bra and panties.

Who wouldnt?

I know I always wanted to play a game where I played base ball in my underware.