Keyboard Spillage.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, ****, I spilt Coke on my keyboard.

It hit the right side of the "letter area" but I managed to get most of it in time so it wouldn't stick. However, I missed the Space bar and now it has a sticky feeling to it. It's not bad enoughthat I can't type, but it is quite annoying and slows me down.

Any suggestions on how to unstick it? Appreciated.

Posted by higbvuyb

Try pulling off the space bar (if it wont break the keyboard) and wiping the spilled area with a slightly damp cloth.

Gah, how obvious. Seems to have worked. Thank ye.

Posted by sniper

Heh, you are lucky enough to have a keyboard with removable keys. I had to complete disassemble mine the last time that happened.

Posted by loony636

I do that all the time to my keyboard. Not spilling coke onto it, but taking it apart. Mine seems to attract dirt and gunk that causes my keys to become less responsive that normal. I take it apart, clean it out, and its done. Its really easy.

Quoting sniper: Heh, you are lucky enough to have a keyboard with removable keys. I had to complete disassemble mine the last time that happened.

I've never heard of a keyboard that didn't have removeable keys. What brand is it and how old is it?

Posted by Hyper

*Hyper attempts to remove the spacebar*

oh****:(

Posted by Klarth

I used to have a really nice keyboard with a slot for swiping all kinds of cards, but it got screwed up when my stupid mother spilled wine on it. Now it won't work and I'm back to an american-layout one with no windows key.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=looney636]I've never heard of a keyboard that didn't have removeable keys. What brand is it and how old is it?
Most keyboards from a few years ago had keys that broke when you attempted to remove them and thus, could never be re-inserted and used. It has happened to one of my old keyboards (which was not considered the 'stanard' of today). It doesn't bother me if things get spilled on my keyboard. I have about ten keyboard in the closet waiting to be used, about three of them boast twenty-one hotkeys and other functions, so I don't really lose anything.

I try not to destroy or damage this keyboard in any way though, considering it is the only wireless keyboard I currently own.

Alright, after a few days, the right shift key and enter key are still quite sticky (shift being the worst). I've taken them apart and cleaned it really well, but I just can't seem to get them to unstick (I used the damp cloth idea). I need a better suggestion.

Posted by Trigger

I usually get a piece of paper and clean between the keys by folding it so it fits in between and running it down the rows. It usually gets any cat hair, dust and other things out from between and under my keys. I'm not saying it will work perfectly for you, as I am sure liquid can enter many places that dust and such cannot but it might be good, even if it gets other things out. It's better than leaving it dirty, I suppose.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Vampiro: I used the damp cloth idea

That's a good idea. Try taking the key out and clean it using soap and water. If its sticky, its probably not the key, its the tab underneath the key. Try cleaning that.

Posted by Arczu

How can you tell if the keys are removable? I tried removing keys from a fairly-new computer (with windows keys), but those keys never came back on!

Quoted post: If its sticky, its probably not the key, its the tab underneath the key

By tap you mean the thing the key presses down on? I don't think there's anyway for me to properly clean that without damaging the key permanently.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Vampiro: By tap you mean the thing the key presses down on? I don't think there's anyway for me to properly clean that without damaging the key permanently.

Yes that's what I mean. Well, if you can't clean it, then you need to get a new keyboard. They don't cost that much. It depends on whether you can live with the stickiness.

****it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a new one. I guess I'll have to live with it. ****.

Thanks anyways everyone.

Posted by Bebop

In future try investing in one of those plastic cover things. I used to have one and was a lifesaver. Now I don't and my keyboard has gunk growing in it.

Posted by higbvuyb

There are waterproof washable keyboarrds.
they're made of soft plasitc,

Posted by loony636

Quoting higbvuyb: There are waterproof washable keyboarrds.
they're made of soft plasitc,

There are ones like that? I want to get me one of those!!!

Posted by Dragon Ryder

Quoting loony636: There are ones like that? I want to get me one of those!!!

Yea you can buy them at radio shack they are like $50 i think. Somewhere around there.

O how i miss the old school Keyboards where 1 button does like 3 clicks. Sounds like your typing 100 words per minute and it bugged the **** out of the guy next to you. It was a win win situation.

Posted by Illyria110

one solution would be to not eat or drink by your computer ;)

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Illyria110: one solution would be to not eat or drink by your computer ;)

I think that we have pretty well established that.

Quoted post: one solution would be to not eat or drink by your computer

Pff.

Posted by Illyria110

:) i was just kidding, i eat by my computer too

Posted by Jezex

Let me get this straight, Coke+Keyboard = Sticky :(
Dry Coke + Water= Dissorved coke which would make the board loose.
Try Adding water on the keyboard and see if it loosens it enough then... blowdry it?