Do you recommend me any good music?

Posted by Crazy K

OK I been listening a lot to Dream Theater and was wondering if there are any bands pretty similar to them.

Also, can you guys recommend me any good soft rock songs?

Posted by Delilah

Soft Rock Songs- "Wrecking Hotel Rooms" by MXPX, "Time of Your Life" by Green Day, "Move Along" by The All-American Rejects, "My Trademark Move" by Relient K, "Mood Rings" by Relient K, "Sk8r Boi" by Avril Lavign, "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, "Superman" by Goldfinger, "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down, "If Everyone Cared" by Nickelback, and anything and everything by Emery Park.

:bounce:

Posted by Omni

What era of soft rock are you talking about? Also, how open to interpretation of soft rock as a genre are you? I can recommend you all sorts of things if you can be a little more specific. As for things like Dream Theater, I haven't really listened to them.

Posted by Crazy K

Well I hate Punk Rock, so anything Punk Rock won't suite me well. Anyways I love the 70's rock n roll era, a lot of soft rock I like as well. I just would like some Not so mainstream bands, because the main ones out there at the moment bore me.

Anyways, nothing Punk Rock.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Also, can you guys recommend me any good soft rock songs?

copy pasta from DA. Post-Rock is superior to rock in every way.

65daysofstatic
Andydicktracymorganfreeman
Belegost
Below the Sea
Burn Rome in a Dream
Don't Make Say Think
The Evpatoria Report
Explosions in the Sky
*** is an Astronaut
Grails
Gregor Samsa
Let Airplanes Circle Overhead
Mono
Port-Royal
Red Sparrowes
Samuel Jackson Five
Saxon Shore
The Sea, Like Lead
The Silent Type
Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start
We vs. Death
***speed You! Black Emperor
A Silver Mt. Zion

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Crazy K: OK I been listening a lot to Dream Theater and was wondering if there are any bands pretty similar to them.

Check out Ayreon's Actual Fantasy if you haven't already. And Nightingale's Alive Again.

[quote]Also, can you guys recommend me any good soft rock songs?

Alan Parsons Project. Any of their work from the 70's to 2000.

Posted by Delilah

Quoting Crazy K: Well I hate Punk Rock, so anything Punk Rock won't suite me well. Anyways I love the 70's rock n roll era, a lot of soft rock I like as well. I just would like some Not so mainstream bands, because the main ones out there at the moment bore me.

Anyways, nothing Punk Rock.

Oh, well, then, forget everything i just said. Emery Park is good as for sof/alterntive rock, Relient K, and old Green Day (while they were still an accoustic band).

:bounce:

Posted by G-Sides

for bands similar to dream theater, check out symphony x and protest the hero.

for soft rooock, check out seaweed, temple of the dog, and the doves.

Posted by Shade

Symphony X and Ayreon.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Ladydragonrider: and old Green Day (while they were still an accoustic band).

They... were... an acoustic... band??

Posted by Klarth

Recommendations straight off the bat:
Ayreon - The Human Equation. Catchy pop-ish songs, and James Labrie (the dude from DT) is one of the main singers. Also, as Raptor said, check out Actual Fantasy - It's a bit softer and more keyboardy.
Rush - 2112. Rush and Pink Floyd are probably DT's two biggest influences, and I'd say 2112 is a total classic.

Things which aren't exactly completely similar but you might still like:
Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution. A slightly heavier sound, but it's vaguely the same sort of music.
James LaBrie - Elements of Persuasion. Solo project of DT's singer. Slightly heavier than Dream Theater, but just about every DT fan I know says they liked it (I actually didn't, for the most part).

Posted by Dexter

Definitely check out The Human Equation from Ayreon. Easily my favorite CD ever.

Also, Transatlantic are a fantastic band. I think you'd really enjoy them. "My New World" and "We All Need Some Light" are great songs to start with. You might also enjoy Porcupine Tree. Discover "Collapse the Light into Earth" or "Wedding Nails" for an excellent instrumental track.

Posted by Porcupine

For Dream Theater fans: Rush, Yes, Spock's Beard, Queensryche, Pain of Salvation, maybe Opeth.

Soft rock: Dodgy, The Police, Blind Melon, Cat Stevens, Eric Johnson, Dimmu Borgir.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

i second raptor's point about the alan parsons project, specifically, "eye in the sky"*, "i, robot", and "the turn of a friendly card". however, for my money, the best starting point for them is their "best of" from 1983.

*chicago bulls fans should at least recognize the song "sirius" as the song that is played during player introductions. yes, i am nerdy.

Posted by Raptor

You may also enjoy Icehouse, an Australian rock band from the 80's. Specifically, look for their compilation entitled "Great Southern Land."

Posted by Crazy K

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far, I'll check most of them out as soon as possible.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Porcupine: For Dream Theater fans: Rush, Yes, Spock's Beard, Queensryche, Pain of Salvation, maybe Opeth.

Soft rock: Dodgy, The Police, Blind Melon, Cat Stevens, Eric Johnson, Dimmu Borgir.

All seconded. Especially Dimmu Borgir.

Check out Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Rush, and Symphony X first.

Other good ones that haven't been mentioned: Eldritch, Communic, Orphaned Land, Cydonia, Muse, Nevermore.

I think we have a pretty similar music taste so you can check out my Last.fm for a bigger list.

[url]www.last.fm/user/hyper22[/url]

Posted by keyartist

Kutless, The O.C. Supertones, Third day, Day of Fire, Casting Crowns, Skillet, and Pillar are all good bands.