10 Songs

Posted by Omni

Okay, I put it in the wrong area first and many thanks to Arcadios for pointing out the music board, but here it is! I am new, which is obvious, and I have always been fascinated by the different types of music that different people listen to and the way you can learn things about those people when you look at thee music they choose to listen to. It's not really anything new or something you have never heard of, I'm sure.

So, I came up with an idea, and I know it has been done before in various forms over the years. My idea is for people to list 10 songs and the respective artists, and describe why these are their 10 songs and what they mean to them. I don't want people to necessarily pick their 10 favorite songs, and I expect people to be able to explain why, in a short paragraph at least, why each song is one of their own. If a few people actually do it, I'll post my own.

Oh yeah, people, including me, might dis your song picks and descriptions if you pick trash or can't write to save your life. If it's anything good, then you might gain rep, but I have a feeling that not everyone here is a scholar, so this could also turn ugly, and entertainting, I might add. Anyways, I'd like to see participation from at least a few people who know what they're talking about, and less of the people who keep writing about emo pop and defending Nickelback from the Portuguese...

Posted by Arcadios

You could have just moved the thread, ya know?

Posted by Omni

Once again, I had no idea. Thanks again, and I hope someone might actually do this at some point. I'll admit I don't know how to do a lot of things. I just started recently.

Posted by Killer Jordo

No problems. Alrighty here I go!

Linkin Park - More like me, less like you.

I feel that this song is about empowring yourself. And not letting another person hold you down. This song really fits in with my life. My parents have been very protective and I've been going my own way.

Bon Jovi - It's my life
A lot of power. Basically same message as Linkin Parks - More like me, less like you.

Lukas Rossi - Headspin
Yes, I am obsessed with this show. However, this song has a **** good message to it. I love the story line in it. And how he sings it diffrently in seperate parts.

Radiohead - Creep
Alot of people have felt this way. I know I did when I first moved to Radium.

Marshall Tucker Band - Can't You See
I've seen alot of people change due to their girlfriends. I think the first person that stands out to me is my brother. Through the past few years his girlfriend has really changed him. We used to chill and play video games together. And talk about stuff. But I guess that his girlfriend really made him grow-up.

Lyndard Synard - Free Bird
Everyone wants to be like this. Not to be held down. Some people aren't. But most of us are.

Hawthorne Heights - Saying Sorry
Good message. It's sort of hard to explain. Just listen to the song.

GOB - Give up the grudge
Alot of people keep grudges. This song is a good "f-u" song towards those people.

Daniel Powter - You had a bad day
Everyone has days like this. This song just says carry on. Don't let it stop you.

Cheap Trick - I want you to want me.
Everyone has felt like this. Wanting someone to love them, want them.

Posted by Klarth

Katatonia - "Evidence"
Choruses tend to grab me by the throat, and this one is no exception. It's probably the most energetic Katatonia song I've heard since the Brave Murder Day era, and the chorus has a lot more energy than a good deal of their other stuff. Very, very passionate - Makes me think of perseverance when I hear it.

Agalloch - "Tomorrow Will Never Come"
Contemplative, lamentative, passively beautiful. Opening minute is very melodic, and from there it gets darker and more regretful. Samples are also very appropriate for the song...

Blind Guardian - "Fly"
Energetic, uplifting, catchy, encouraging - And more over all, HAPPY. Perfect song for when you're feeling down and lazy and blue and all.

In Flames - "Ordinary Story"
Fast-paced and melancholy. Not amazingly deep, but certainly a thinking point as far as songs go - Lyrics to ponder, and such a bitter chorus.

OSI - "Go"
Keyboard melodies are completely and utterly SENSUAL. Kevin Moore's soft-yet-edgy voice works very well here, and the rhythm is feet-tappingly infectious.

Beatles - "Back in the USSR"
Favourite little classic of mine, which is odd considering I can't stand most other Beatles material. Gives off an overbearing "coming home" feeling.

Raunchy - "Remembrance"
Angry, screamy, tension-breaking. Great one after a ****er of a day.

Lordi - "Bringing Back The Balls To Rock"
Not meaningful in any way whatsoever. It's just a great way to rock the fuck out.

Junkie XL - "Beauty Never Fades"
First song I can think of which I thought was awe-inspiringly beautiful. Fell asleep to it many times in the past.

i can't think of another

Posted by Omni

"Love Reign O'er Me" by The Who

I have always found the rain to be calm and somewhat romantic, and I relate to this song in a spiritual way. This song gets me in my soul. It's a powerful and moving piece of music, featuring what is for certain Roger Daltrey's best vocal performance, and it's more serious than a lot of the other songs that these guys made.

"I'm Losing You" by John Lennon

The lyrics are bleak and confessional, and it's definitely one of John's most underrated songs. The dark, looming music set behind his often cathartic vocals create a lot of ambience, and you can feel a lot of pain and emotion in this song. I listen to it when I don't feel like doing anything.

"The Man Who Sold The World" by David Bowie

Bowie has a lot of songs that I like, but this one really stands out for me. The main riff of the song is really catchy and unusual, so it kind of lures you into the song. The lyrics are quite unusual, even by David Bowie standards. To me, this song has a sort of wonder to it that few others can match.

"Sweet Child O' Mine"

The best song these guys ever had, if you ask me. It's not aggressive, like their other music, and it's now considered something of a standard. Anyways, this is the song that makes me think of the girl I love. So what if it's overplayed?

"Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden

I had to throw in a grunge song, and this is my best choice. It's got bleak lyrics, but it's still a pretty uplifting song, and it makes me think about how things usually work out in the end, even though that's not always true, and it reminds me of people that I knew that aren't around anymore.

"Dream On" by Aerosmith

This song has to be my favorite rock anthem, and it's unique from anything else Aerosmith ever recorded. It's a very uplifting and empowering song, and it makes me think about how time doesn't stand still for anybody and that people who focus on their dreams can ultimately reach them.

"No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin

This is a calm, quiet song, especially compared to other Led Zeppelin recordings. It borders on a psychedelic sort of sound, which is something uncommon for Led Zeppelin, and the lyrics are reflective and tell the tale of warriors braving the icy winds of Thor to carry a message to it's destination, and the dreams that rest upon their shoulders.

"Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen

I bet we all knew I'd put this one here. This is one of Queen's heavy metal songs, and it's very aggressive and full of energy. Listening to this has always made me relax and it helps me deal with stress after a long day at work. It's definitely better than Metallica's version, because Jame's Hetfield can't match Freddie Mercury in terms of vocal output and speedy delivery, and Roger and Brian get in quite a few chops as well.

"Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)" by Neil Young & Crazy Horse

To me, this song has always represented the descent into darkness. This is the song that earned old Neil his reputation as "The ***father Of Grunge". The main riff is heavy and distorted and Neil's lyrics are introspective. It's the first song of what he had once intended to be his final album.

"The Soft Parade" by The Doors

My brother once called this the best song ever. Unlike a lot of the stuff on this album, this is actually good. I have no idea what it's supposed to be about, because it contains a lot of bizarre lyrics via Jim Morrison. It opens with Jim talking about some of his views on religion, and then it navigates through several other sections. Crazy, and definitely a trip.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Stone cold. Stop being a dick to me just because I like certain songs. I didn't add alot of content because I don't feel like writing a **** paragraph for every song. I do enough of that in school already. And so do alot of other people. By the way. Everytime you give someone negative rep. YOU DON'T PM THEM!

Posted by Omni

I figured you'd do that. LOL... Like GOB says, and you would know, somebody better "Give up the grudge!" After all, I'm "cole minded", and you don't want people to think you're like me...

Posted by G-Sides

BOTH OF YOU STFU FOREVER K

portugal the man - pelicans

this happens to be one of my favorite songs at the time, mainly because it's different. it makes me feel good and it makes me feel sad at the same time.

genghis tron - warm woods

i respect and adore this song more than most. it transgresses so many different feelings and does it with surgical precision. PUTS ME IN A GOOD MOOD. yep

bad brains - i against i

this song busted me out of my mainstream favoritism and introduced me to everything i like today. chaaaaanged my life.

the pixies - where is my mind?

this song reminds me of life how i used to like it. it brings back good memories and reminds me of a better time in my life, before things started falling apart. fart

m83 - safe

this song is so, so beautiful. it calms me, relaxes me, makes me smile. it saddens me, depresses me, makes me think. amazing.

mr. bungle - squeeze me macaroni

this song reminds me of friends, and happiness, and partying and everything else. i dance to this ****. it makes me moooove. puts me in an amazing mood.

protest the hero - turn soonest to the sea

<3

strapping young lad - ****storm

this song makes me ****ing angry. it's what i listen to when i'm ****ed off at the world, and it almost makes me feel better when i think about whatever had happened to townsend when we wrote this that could channel such an amazing hatred.

primus - coattails of a dead man

so after thinking i had heard every primus song, i stumble upon this jewel. this song is another one of my favorites right now, the hidden song at the end even better than the song itself. makes me bob up and down, puts me in a better mood.

infectious grooves - feed the monkey

because hey, you've got to feed the monkey.

Posted by Omni

That's the kind of selection that I was expecting people to make. It's interesting music.

Posted by Hyper

Arch Enemy - Ravenous
- Great guitar work, really was the highlight of the night for me at Gigantour this year.

Eldritch - Still Screaming
- I interpret this song as a story about turning to what makes you happy in life to keep yourself going. Also, some of the most awesome first couple of minutes ever.

Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies
- Generally an awesome song, mixing psychadelic prog with heavy metal, two of my favorite genres. The solo "talks" to me every time (at least the album version does, the way he plays it live now just isn't the same. :() This is also one of the songs that got me hooked on Dream Theater I'd say, even if it wasn't one of the first dozen or so I heard and liked. Considering DT have been my favorite band for nearly 2 years now, (=-0) hearing it brings me right back to anxiously waiting for their cds that I bought off eBay to arrive in the mail.

Foo Fighters - Times Like These
- BETCHA DIDN'T EXPECT THIS ONE. It just reminds me so much of living at my dad's house a few years ago. Surely that time wasn't the best in my life, but the people I met back then really shaped how I used to be and how I generally still am percieved today.

Incubus - Drive
- I always took this song in the literal sense (considering I was 9 or 10 years old when I first got into it). I've never thought about the lyrics enough to figure out what the song's actually about, though knowing me and my interpretations it's probably something I'd never imagine. Oh well. I still listen to it every now and then as I like the guitar rhythm and the vocals.

Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak
- Along with Blackest Eyes, this song got me into this amazing band. The lyrics are catchy yet interesting, the guitar work is clean yet haunting, and the general feel of it is really unique.

Opeth - In My Time Of Need
- Definitely contributed to me liking this band. I love the lyrics and the bassline.

Death - Ovum
- I'm actually listening to it for the first time as I write this. That's why I'm picking it. I'm really liking it so far. It's energetic and the guitar work is decent. Song doesn't mean to me much now but it might get me into this band over time.

Grip, Inc - The Prophecy
- This song got me into really heavy music. I don't think I'd like a lot of the stuff I do now if it wasn't for the general crunch of this song. It isn't very melodic but it isn't too coarse either which is probably why it made my transition into TEH BR00TAL EXTREEM music easy. It's no longer the heaviest song in my library, of course, but I still consider it one of the most important.

Agalloch - In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion
- Introduced me into harsh vocals and long, mostly acoustic songs both at once. The lyrics are excellent and the music supports the lyrical imagery perfectly. Also, that guitar sweep somewhere in the middle is just plain awesome.

Posted by Hyper

WTF, I spend all that time replying, and nobody keeps the thread going? You all sicken me.

Posted by Klarth

Okay, okay, I thought of a tenth.

Butterfly Temple - "Vremya Mary". It's fast and upbeat, but somehow mournful. I like.

Posted by Omni

It's probably because most of the people who picked songs actually made lists, so the relatively illiterate are intimidated by their musical supremacy. Plus, most of the people who posted picked good songs. There's that, too.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Stone Cold Crazy]It's probably because most of the people who picked songs actually made lists, so the relatively illiterate are intimidated by their musical supremacy.
Shut the hell up.

Posted by Omni

Not like I was being serious. Oh, yeah, I was including you in the people with a musical supremacy from their lists, not the relatively illiterate internet people.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

"Like Fire" by Bloodbath
Nothing special here. Standard Death Metal. I love his voice, though. And it's plenty upbeat enough for me. Also, when the music stops and he goes "This Very Morbid Mind of Mine" is orgasmic.

"Demise of the 5th" by Scar Symmetry
This song is beautiful. I listen to it every time I'm at work. It gets me in that "Ready to do this" kind of mood. I've even got my mother to start enjoying this song.... and she hates all forms of metal.

"Let's do this now" by KoRn (omg!)
This is actually a good song to listen to when you're ****ed off at someone. Well, at least for me it is. It's very repeditive. But that's fine by me when I want to hear something about smashing someones face in over and over.

"To Reign Again" by Kataklysm
I love the build up in this song. It gets my blood pumping. That's it, really.

"Rose of Sharyn" by Killswitch Engage
This song makes me think of my best friend. And not so much in a sad way like it used to, but more in a hopeful way. You'd have to know her and then hear the song to get what I'm saying.

"Defy You" by The Offspring
This is pretty much just how I feel about me and those in a "higher authority" than I am.

"A Swarm of Plagues" by Naglfar
Really, the majority of the music I listen to is there to pump me up. I don't like sad songs or **** like that. I don't know why people would listen to music that makes you sad on a constant basis. This is yet another song that keeps me in a **** good mood.

"Deconstruction" by All Shall Perish
Even though this song is kind of a downer, most people would never realize it. Ever. The beat is cool enough for me to just jam to. I like this whole album come to think of it.

"Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God
All I have to say is: See who gives a fuck!
<3 this song

"Circle Of The Tyrants" by Obituary
Nothing special here. It will always just hold a special place in my heart as the first metal song I ever heard. I found the CD on the ground after some mexican called it devil music and threw it.
God bless that spic.

Posted by Omni

There's a lot of different type of music represented here, but I'd still like to see a few more lists make it on here before this thread dies out. Plus, most of the stuff that went up was good and well done.

Posted by Brennivin

Forever by As I Lay Dying- the guitar melodies sucked me right into this song.

Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold- powerful lyrics about murder, revenge, spirituality, violence, hate and jealousy.

Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch Engage- reminds me everytme of my best friend who i will soon see again.

This Calling Master by All That Remains- favorite song of all time by this band.

The Darkest Nights by As I Lay Dying- a distinct song about faith and love. i relate totally to the lyrics through my spiritual life.

Posted by Omni

I thought this thread might be dead and buried by now, but people keep digging up the corpse and raping it...

Anyway...

Quoting Sapphire Rose: "Rose of Sharyn" by Killswitch Engage
This song makes me think of my best friend. And not so much in a sad way like it used to, but more in a hopeful way. You'd have to know her and then hear the song to get what I'm saying.

Quoting Brennivin: Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch Engage- reminds me everytme of my best friend who i will soon see again.

Did anyone notice the last 2 lists both have this song for almost the same reason? That's kinda funny...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Forever by As I Lay Dying- the guitar melodies sucked me right into this song.

Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold- powerful lyrics about murder, revenge, spirituality, violence, hate and jealousy.

Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch Engage- reminds me everytme of my best friend who i will soon see again.

This Calling Master by All That Remains- favorite song of all time by this band.

The Darkest Nights by As I Lay Dying- a distinct song about faith and love. i relate totally to the lyrics through my spiritual life.

Someone's a fan of metalcore...

Posted by Omni

Quoting Vampiro: Someone's a fan of metalcore...

I guess somebody had to like it...

Posted by Philsdad

Well, let's see here..

Danubius - Briul pe sase

I am listening to it right now, so it gets listed. Straight up gypsy folk music here. Violin and flute with some percussion.

Falkenbach - When Gjallarhorn Will Sound

A true viking metal classic as far as I'm concerned. Best New Years Eve drunk singalong song ever!

Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaraasialainen
Funky kosher secret agent jazz type song..kind of hard to explain. It's catchy as hell though! lots of accordion, and brass instruments.

King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King

The song that originally got me into prog music, and still one of my favorite songs of all time to this day.

Don Salsa - The Deck

32 minute monster of a song that shifts genres every 30 seconds. The "elf music" keyboard parts are most enjoyable, as well as the carousel music and crazy metal jams.

Taraf de Haidouks - Hora din Caval

More gypsy music (violin and accordion.) Sounds like what you'd hear at a street carnival in a Romanian village. Songs like this are why I love cultural music so much. This song paints a perfect picture of walking through a small Romanian village, and seeing gypsy beggars play music in the streets.

[B]Ravi Shankar - D

Posted by WackoHater2

Nas - Drunk by Myself
Arcadios sent this song to me over AIM last night. It's an alright song, although the beat is a little weird.

Brandy "Ms. B." Hambrick; Yung Joc - I Know You See It
Really catchy song, plus I know almost all of the words.

Drowning Pool - Bodies
One of the few songs that I never get tired of. Really good song. I know all of the words to this song, and I have for a while. Gets me really pumped.

E-40; T-Pain; Kandi Girl - U and Dat
Used to be my favorite song for like a week when it first came out.

Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds
The song that got me into the band. I used to hear it a lot playing Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition.

Pitbull; Sean Paul; Lil Jon - Culo "Miami Mix"
Awesome Reggaeton song. Adding a hip-hop feeling with Lil Jon. Great song overall.

Unk - Walk it Out
Really catchy song. I mistook the words the first few times I heard it, and thought it was saying "Wockydile" when it says "Walk it out"

Akon; Eminem - Smack That
Good and catchy. My mom is wearing it out quick though.

Cherrish; Sean Paul of the YoungBloodz
Caught my attention on the radio. I don't listen to it that much anymore, but it is still cool.

Chingy - Pullin' Me Back
Becoming one of my least favorite songs.

Posted by Brennivin

"Someone's a fan of metalcore..."

yeah well whats wrong with metalcore?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Nothing. You can enjoy whatever type of music you want.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, he is right, you can enjoy any kind of music if you like it, but people who spend all their time talking about how their music is better than everyone else's or insulting a particular genre for no real reason are annoying. An example is that I'm not a fan of rap/hip-hop, but that I can stand to hear it and that I can understand why people like it.