No, women don't handle pain better.

Posted by sniper

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4641567.stm

labor pains, cramps etc

Posted by The Judge

Take that, whiners.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I've never understood why women would complain about cramps so much. I mean, if it happens THAT OFTEN, eventually you'd learn to get over it.

Posted by The Judge

Prepare for a feminist thunderstorm.

Posted by junior senior

Quoting Lord of Spam: I've never understood why women would complain about cramps so much. I mean, if it happens THAT OFTEN, eventually you'd learn to get over it.

It doesn't even last a day only for like 1-2 hours

Posted by Killer Jordo

Suck it up buttercup. I got used to my knee aching all the time. So you can get used to some pain.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Lord of Spam: I've never understood why women would complain about cramps so much. I mean, if it happens THAT OFTEN, eventually you'd learn to get over it.

that's just it though, the fact that we have to deal with episodes of pain more frequently than men makes us less likely to want to "just deal with it". if it were a one time sort of thing we'd be able to say "ok, yeah this stinks, but by tomorrow I'll be fine and never have to feel like this again" and then be able to stick it out and get over it. but since that's not the case, the typical response is more of "great, not this again, why me, I can't take this anymore (insert pity party here)" sort of thing. which correlates with the articles mention of the emotional aspect of dealing with pain.

i have a fairly high pain threshold, but when i get a migraine its definitely more a feeling of frustration and helplessness than of actual pain which puts me into tears.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I got used to my knee aching all the time. So you can get used to some pain.

I knew you loved the cock.

Anywho, women are pussies. Slap their bewbs together and they act like their world just exploded in mass pain. Boo-hoo.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting NES Queen: that's just it though, the fact that we have to deal with episodes of pain more frequently than men makes us less likely to want to "just deal with it". if it were a one time sort of thing we'd be able to say "ok, yeah this stinks, but by tomorrow I'll be fine and never have to feel like this again" and then be able to stick it out and get over it. but since that's not the case, the typical response is more of "great, not this again, why me, I can't take this anymore (insert pity party here)" sort of thing. which correlates with the articles mention of the emotional aspect of dealing with pain.

i have a fairly high pain threshold, but when i get a migraine its definitely more a feeling of frustration and helplessness than of actual pain which puts me into tears.

Meh, if you know its going to happen regularly, eventually I'd get used to it and just deal with it.

Posted by Speedfreak

"Women focus on the emotional aspects of their pain, which makes it worse, while men tend to focus on the physicality."

What the hell? What is there to think about?

MY LEG HURTS. I FEEL SAD BECAUSE I FELL OVER AND NOW EVERYONE THINKS IM SILLY. THIS ONLY ENHANCES THE PAIN. OH WOE IS ME.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Lord of Spam: Meh, if you know its going to happen regularly, eventually I'd get used to it and just deal with it.

My ovaries feel like they're getting stabbed with a fork a couple of times. I'm feeling great, walking around like normal, then all of a sudden a STAB comes about and I practically keel over. It's not something I'm really used to.

Posted by VampchickAkasha

i being a women do admit we tend to over exaggerate, however cramps do hurt.... for like five days....

Posted by Fate

It's weird that I still feel the stabby sensation even though I'm on the shot.

Quoted post: It's weird that I still feel the stabby sensation even though I'm on the shot.

It's because women are crazy and like the pain and like being able to complain about it. So even when it's not present, they create it subconsciously.

fact, look it up

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Princess Fate: It's not something I'm really used to.

wut iz my point

If it happens that regularly, get used to it. just deal with it and move on. Wuss.

Posted by Klarth

WOMEN HAD BETTER LEARN TO HANDLE PAIN UNDER MY WATCH.

Seriously, folks, wife-beating is a crime.

Posted by Iris

Yeah, Fate. You're such a pussy. You should just make it into a fun thing. Exery time you get cramps, an angel gets its wings! That ought to make the random, sharp pains totally bearable!

I thought it was that women were less concerned when they see blood than men.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Lord of Spam: If it happens that regularly, get used to it. just deal with it and move on. Wuss.

so if every month someone came up to you, grabbed you by the nusack, twisted them around a full 360 degrees and then kicked them as hard as they could..... that's a sensation you would be able to get used to and just deal with? i think not.

[quote=Gender differences in pain perception: a signal detection theory approach. Soetanto AL, et al.]Enhanced sensory discriminability in women may explain why women report more pain and seek healthcare more frequently compared with men. Men showed more stoical response to pain possibly because of gender-role expectations.

and even more damaging to the "OMG women are wussies and can't take pain!!1!" theory....

[quote=Altering gender role expectations: effects on pain tolerance, pain threshold, and pain ratings. Robinson ME, Gagnon CM, Riley JL 3rd, Price DD., J Pain. 2003 Jun;4(5):284-8.]The literature demonstrating sex differences in pain is sizable. Most explanations for these differences have focused on biologic mechanisms, and only a few studies have examined social learning. The purpose of this study was to examine the contribution of gender-role stereotypes to sex differences in pain. This study used experimental manipulation of gender-role expectations for men and women. One hundred twenty students participated in the cold pressor task. Before the pain task, participants were given 1 of 3 instructional sets: no expectation, 30-second performance expectation, or a 90-second performance expectation. Pain ratings, threshold, and tolerance were recorded. Significant sex differences in the "no expectation" condition for pain tolerance (t = 2.32, df = 38, P <.05) and post-cold pressor pain ratings (t = 2.6, df = 37, P <.05) were found. Women had briefer tolerance times and higher post-cold pressor ratings than men. When given gender-specific tolerance expectations, men and women did not differ in their pain tolerance, pain threshold, or pain ratings. This is the first empirical study to show that manipulation of expectations alters sex differences in laboratory pain.

the reason men appear to have a higher pain tolerance than women is because they're brought up believing in the sterotype that men are supposed to be stronger and tougher than women. they're afraid of admitting when they're in pain for fear of looking "weak". this study proved that if you ask a woman to "just deal with the pain" for a specified amount of time, they were just as willing and able to do it as men. if we're not asked to put up with it, we don't. because it's stupid to sit there in pain just to put up a facade that you're strong or superior. only a man would do something like that, women are too smart to do something that stupid. ;)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Pretending that you're not in pain is pretty much what I call dealing with it. At the very least, not whining about it is preferable.

Also, craps are nothing near what you are discribing, your hyperbole fails.

Posted by Xenos

Reading some of the posts in this thread, I wonder if some of the posts here are a joke.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Lord of Spam: Also, craps are nothing near what you are discribing, your hyperbole fails.

guess you've never experienced the morning-after drinking shats.

oh, you meant cramps. well, seeing as how you don't have ovaries, your in no place to judge whether it's equivalent or not.

Quoted post: Reading some of the posts in this thread, I wonder if some of the posts here are a joke.

I know mine were.

Posted by Lord of Spam

cramps are cramps. one muscle seizeing up is pretty much the same as another. ive had muscles that were WAY bigger than your ovaries seize up, and if it was a regular occurance, i'd get used to it.

Posted by NES Queen

if you're trying to imply that menstrual cramps are simply muscle spasms of the ovaries, you need some tutoring in biology 101. gross icky womanly science stuff coming up, so read with caution: [COLOR="DimGray"]the cramps are actually contractions of the uterus, not the ovaries. if a woman doesn't get pregnant following ovulation, the uterus needs to expel the uterine lining (no longer needed since no embryo will be developing) from inside the vagina. this is done by forcing the woman to have contractions, similar to those occuring during childbirth. only difference is that there is no watermelon to expel from between your thighs. often times during the contractions, the uterus will press against neighboring blood vessels and cut off the oxygen supply to the muscle tissue of the uterus, ie. causing a typical muscle cramp, in addition to the spasms already occurring to the contracting uterus.[/COLOR]

so if you wanted to be technical about it, yes, essentially menstrual cramps are just muscle spasms. but its a muscle spasm of your entire lower abdomen and groin area that can last for up to 5 days straight. i guess the best way i can relate it to the male anatomy is for you to imagine having to walk around with blue balls for five days straight. guys ***** and moan about having to deal with them for 5 minutes, forget about 5 days.

Quoted post: only difference is that there is no watermelon to expel from between your thighs.

Intriguing. My whole world has been changed.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting NES Queen: blah blah blah still just a muscle cramp blah gross stuff i already knew blah blah blah

cramps are cramps. when you have your entire leg seize up to the point where it CANNOT be bent, talk to me.

Posted by Fate

Apparently women can experience pain at lower thresholds, so yeah, cramps are like that. :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet getting kicked in the bollocks is a billion times more painful than any cramp. Honestly, I tried to describe the pain to my girlfriend once, there is nothing on this earth like it. And if men stop whining about THAT in 5 minutes...

Wait, what about flu? Women definately handle sickness better than men as far as I can tell. I've never had any sympathy for a woman with a cold. It's like they've just scraped their knee or something. But when a man has a cold it's like you have you get all the support you can just to keep the man alive.

Posted by Fate

I'm sure being kicked in the nuts hurts more than the feeling of being stabbed with a fork, so you win.

Hahaha, maybe men are susceptible to sickness.

Posted by NES Queen

also the difference between menstrual cramps and getting kicked in the sack is that one happens just once, whereas the other is a continuous feeling lasting for sometimes 5 days. the pain from being kicked in the groin will go away after a few minutes and not come back. you don't have someone standing over you waiting for you to feel better and then blam-O!, they kick you again.

as for the flu thing, i think it goes back to gender expectations. woman are typically the caregivers, so when our husband/boyfriend/father.... gets sick, we feel like we need to take care of them and they expect us to do such. if a woman gets sick, the man just complains that he has to cook his own dinner for a change and the woman is left to fend for herself.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=NES Queen]also the difference between menstrual cramps and getting kicked in the sack is that one happens just once, whereas the other is a continuous feeling lasting for sometimes 5 days. the pain from being kicked in the groin will go away after a few minutes and not come back. you don't have someone standing over you waiting for you to feel better and then blam-O!, they kick you again.

No, really, those 3 minutes of pain are infinite.

Yeah, it's not that it's only three minutes, it's three minutes of blinding, horrific pain. I'd rather have stabbing pains for five days than get a solid punt to the testicles.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Lord of Spam: cramps are cramps. when you have your entire leg seize up to the point where it CANNOT be bent, talk to me.

Hey that's happened to me. I also clinically died when I crashed head first into a boulder while riding a quad and fell into a ditch and had 17 stitches and need knee surgeyr. Also from time to time I lose feeling in my left leg and fall (happened walking to school lol!)

None of this was a bad as my left nut cramping up when I masturbated too much.

Quoted post: Also from time to time I lose feeling in my left leg and fall (happened walking to school lol!)

man, this made me laugh so hard when imagined.

Posted by cas

Hands up if you have ovaries and cringed reading about cramps.

Now hands up if you have testes and cringed reading about a full on solid punt to the stones.

We have a winner.

Men and sickness. It takes a **** good virus to knock a good man down. If you see a man fall ill and show signs of weakness... RUN. [strike]to the kitchen and make him a sandwich[/strike]

or maybe its a weakness. It saps your strength and thats what we have. Muscles and a tolerance for pain.

Haha. Today at work i branded myself. Just cut some rebar and accidently touched the hot spot with my arm. Must have been sharp because i lost some skin, about a dime size worth. Laughed it off and went about my day. Silly cas. :)

Posted by The Judge

I sliced my finger open while cutting food up. I said "D[COLOR="black"]a[/COLOR]mmit, there's blood all over the food."

Posted by Pit

yeah you probably fainted at the sight of blood you faggot

Posted by andrewg

Quoting The Judge: I sliced my finger open while cutting food up. I said "D[COLOR="black"]a[/COLOR]mmit, there's blood all over the food."

haha, a few days ago my friend rid his bike into the corner of a wall, and broke his collar bone, at the time we didn't know this, but right after he did that he was like "can I have some Mentos?" It was really funny.

back on subject. It sure does seem women feel more pain. it might just depend on the person I guess. I seem to have a pretty high tolerance to pain. I never bruise, and rarely get injured.

Posted by The Judge

Posted by TendoAddict

You know I love how as soon as we talk about men and woman with pain supression the woman Automatically talk about Periods.

I swear its like a fall back to every thing for them. They can get out of some much saying "Period" or "womanly problems". Its the literal Get out of jail card for any man issue.

Were talking about normal everyday pain here, not a period.

If a man and a woman brakes a bone who will whine more? It says men will cry about it less more often.

Does it mean all woman are worse. No. Does it mean all men are tough? No.

So case closed and topic over.

(p.s A punt to the nuts is worse then a period)

etnwtrmn

Posted by Pit

Quoting TendoAddict: You know I love how as soon as we talk about men and woman with pain supression the woman Automatically talk about Periods.

I swear its like a fall back to every thing for them. They can get out of some much saying "Period" or "womanly problems". Its the literal Get out of jail card for any man issue.

Were talking about normal everyday pain here, not a period.

If a man and a woman brakes a bone who will whine more? It says men will cry about it less more often.

Does it mean all woman are worse. No. Does it mean all men are tough? No.

So case closed and topic over.

(p.s A punt to the nuts is worse then a period)

Reminds me of sociology. Guys were saying as how women wouldn't be fit because they wouldn't cave under the pressure and look like a weak leader in terms of a woman being a president and this girl goes

"Listen, a woman can go through child birth, you men don't have to go through that, some guys can't even be in the room cause they get queezy"

Then this kid goes

"what does giving birth have to do with anything about being able to run a country?"

Posted by NES Queen

[QUOTE=TendoAddict]You know I love how as soon as we talk about men and woman with pain supression the woman Automatically talk about Periods.

What's funny though is that LoS was the one who brought up the topic of periods, not us girls. Our statements regarding them were just in defense of him telling us to essentially "just get used to it and stop complaining."

LoS is a woman, dur :rolleyes:

Posted by ASUKA

Whatever happened to just taking pills and shutting up? Dang.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Pit:
"Listen, a woman can go through child birth, you men don't have to go through that, some guys can't even be in the room cause they get queezy"

Yeah, child birth is one of the most disgusting things ever, from procedure to conclusion. If there is one thing I hate in movies, it's birthing scenes. There is hardly anything more disgusting than watching a woman give birth, no matter how subtle or graphic the imagery is. And to think, I've only seen it staged in movies. I watched Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner version, not the Disney one this time) a couple nights ago, and in spite of my unwavering fascination with Robin's foxiness, had to shield my eyes during the scene where the moor helped deliver the baby as well as the newborn handling in general. COULD HAVE GONE WITHOUT SEEING THAT.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting NES Queen: also the difference between menstrual cramps and getting kicked in the sack is that one happens just once, whereas the other is a continuous feeling lasting for sometimes 5 days. the pain from being kicked in the groin will go away after a few minutes and not come back. you don't have someone standing over you waiting for you to feel better and then blam-O!, they kick you again.

Occurance doesnt mean anything. Getting shot in the knee cap once would hurt more than getting pinched a million times.

I thought we allready knew this about pain and woman. Thats why they cry over nothing and men dont :p:

Quoted post: I watched Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner version, not the Disney one this time) a couple nights ago

This is truly unacceptable.

Posted by theblobishere92

I understand, woman just don't take pain as much as men do, but alll they do is *****, but, when they ***** and moan about how boys just want down there pants, and are always stairing at there chest ****es me off, especialy when they wear shirts that show half the breast and pants that are so tight it looks like they are naked, only with blue skin.. and they can get yeist infections from not washing tight pants(or somtihng) then they ***** about that.. I honestly don't care that much about tight tight pants.. what ever.. I'm tired...

Posted by Zac

I agree with everything posted