I chimed in "Haven't you people ever heard of closing the door?"

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm sure you know I'm referencing "I write sins not tragedies" by Panic! at the Disco.

When I first heard this song, obviously, the hook drew me in. But I figured it was just some other stupid emoriffic song that would be all over the radio. But after catching it on the radio a few more times, I realized it's actually a very interesting song. I also noticed that it never has a single rhyme in it. Some would argue that if you can't rhyme, it's because you're not a good songwriter. In this case, I think the point is made better like it is.

Anyway, I love this song now. I've not heard anything else from Panic! at the Disco, but I did catch the video for "I write sins not tragedies". It's really, really well done. It's been a LONG time since a band or artist actually put together an interesting music video that suited the song so perfectly.

I won't be buying the CD until I hear a few more good singles. But if the follow up singles are as good as "I write sins not tragedies", I'll gladly throw down my $15.99 in support of a good band.

Anyone else hear other tunes by these guys? Any other songs that are pretty good?

Posted by MetalVox~55

I personally think these guys can go **** themselves. They're annoying and they suck.

Posted by Fate

No guitar riffs, right? :D

I like all kinds of music. Like you, Fei, I thought it was some gay emo bull****. It turns out to be some mix of electronipunkdance music! I totally love Panic! and hope they stick around for a while. Try listening to "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" and "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage".
:)

Edit: Huh, I never noticed the not-rhyming thing before. That's pretty cool. <3 the weird video, too.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Fei-on Castor]I'll gladly throw down my $15.99 in support of a good band.
I can already hear the RIAA executives giggling in glee.

Posted by Xero

I bought the CD as well, but I regret it. "I write sins not tragedies" is the only song on the CD that I really enjoy listening to. The rest is all lame.

Posted by Shin-Ra

This is so far from what I look for in music that I could never have a decent discussion over this band. People request it where I work though, so I have to play it, to which I last responded with 15 minutes of Esoteric to even things out.

Quoting Princess Fate: I like all kinds of music.

I challenge this with just about every genre, and band for that matter, I listen to.

Quoting Princess Fate: "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage"

I suddenly hate Choke. I hope they at least referenced Chuck somewhere for taking that quote.

Posted by Fate

Do it. Your music can't be any more annoying than the Celtic stuff I like.

Posted by NeXidala

A couple of months ago I was one of the people that had already listened to all of their songs before they became really well-known. I have to say back then, I really enjoyed their music. I listened to over 15 of their songs, and enjoyed almost all of them. So, if you're not into any hardcore stuff, these guys are really good.

Posted by Omni

To this day, I have successfully only heard this song one time, courtesy of my sister, and I wish never to hear it again...

Posted by Killer Jordo

The first time I heard this song I was like "**** this song is awsome". And I still think it is. I wish my mom knew how to close my *** **** door.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

[quote=Fei-on Castor]I'm sure you know I'm referencing "I write sins not tragedies" by Panic! at the Disco.

When I first heard this song, obviously, the hook drew me in. But I figured it was just some other stupid emoriffic song that would be all over the radio. But after catching it on the radio a few more times, I realized it's actually a very interesting

*closes my browser window*

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I'm sure you know I'm referencing "I write sins not tragedies" by Panic! at the Disco.

When I first heard this song, obviously, the hook drew me in. But I figured it was just some other stupid emoriffic song that would be all over the radio. But after catching it on the radio a few more times, I realized it's actually a very interesting song. I also noticed that it never has a single rhyme in it. Some would argue that if you can't rhyme, it's because you're not a good songwriter. In this case, I think the point is made better like it is.

Anyway, I love this song now. I've not heard anything else from Panic! at the Disco, but I did catch the video for "I write sins not tragedies". It's really, really well done. It's been a LONG time since a band or artist actually put together an interesting music video that suited the song so perfectly.

I won't be buying the CD until I hear a few more good singles. But if the follow up singles are as good as "I write sins not tragedies", I'll gladly throw down my $15.99 in support of a good band.

Anyone else hear other tunes by these guys? Any other songs that are pretty good?

This all coming from the same gentleman who wrote a blues song about how lame he thinks certain VGC members are. Opinion duly noted and dismissed.

Posted by Aeshataro

panic at the disco makes me wanna dance like a crazy freak. then again i pretty much am one.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Princess Fate: Do it. Your music can't be any more annoying than the Celtic stuff I like.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the ultra-fast super-raw uber-gritty "we want to be as grim and icy as possible" variety of black metal there.

Posted by Fate

I may not be able to understand any words if they are said, but if it sounds good to me I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Posted by Klarth

I can pretty much guarantee it won't :) Check [url=http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=15623]this[/url] thread if you're genuinely interested.

Posted by WackoHater2

All of their other songs are good. My personal favorites are "Build God, Then We'll Talk" and "There's a Reason These Tables are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of it Yet."

Posted by s0ul

Wow. Are all of their song names essay-length?

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Killer Jordo: I wish my mom knew how to close my *** **** door.

Close your own ****ing door.

This song is bad.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Go to hell. It's good. You have to admire their effort for not rhyming. But letting the msuic flow.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting s0ul: Wow. Are all of their song names essay-length?

Nope. Almost all of them though. "There's a Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of it Yet" is their longest song name, "Camisado" is their shortest.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Killer Jordo: You have to admire their effort for not rhyming. But letting the msuic flow.

Because it takes more effort to write lyrics that don't rhyme than those that do? Admirable.

Posted by Killer Jordo

It takes effort to be able to make it flow good.

Posted by WackoHater2

I'm with Jordo on this one. The words don't have to rhyme to make a good some. Panic! at the Disco's songs are good examples of that point.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Thank you panic!

Posted by WackoHater2

You're welcome. Lol. It's kid of obvious I like them. Look at the username. ;)

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Panic: The words don't have to rhyme to make a good some.

That isn't what I said. I said that it wasn't something to be admired.

Posted by WackoHater2

I agree that it's not really something admirable. It's a cool quality in a song though.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Panic: You're welcome. Lol. It's kid of obvious I like them. Look at the username. ;)

:-D

I'm falling in love with "Teen hearts beating faster." It's so awsome.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Killer Jordo: You have to admire their effort for not rhyming.

Yeah, not rhyming sure takes a whole lot of effort!

Posted by Killer Jordo

Making it flow good does. I've heard other bands that try to do this and it's just crap.

Posted by Shade

FLOW WELL, *** ****IT! FLOW WELL!

Jeez, make your grammar flow well, okay? Even if it does take more effort than not having a song rhyme.

Posted by NeXidala

Wow, it's so weird to know that the songs of Panic! At the Disco that I heard in January, some people are just STARTING to hear. Shows the way mainstream works....

Posted by Shade

You mean like how mainstream music is usually horrible? Yeah, I agree.

Posted by WackoHater2

Not all mainstream sucks. Nothing personal Shade. But if you hate mainstream just because it's mainstream, you have problems. Give things a chance. I give underground music a chance. I usually like a lot of it too.

Posted by Raptor

He said mainstream is usually horrible. Which is true. Pay attention before you start yapping.

Posted by Klarth

This thread is like watching Raptor verbally own a retard.

I don't have any analogies left in me, sorry.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Why should we hate something for being popular though?

Posted by Fate

We shouldn't. Music is subjective, so you can like what you like and not have to worry about what other people think about your tastes.

Posted by Gollum

and therefore, stupid to argue against a bunch of people who are clearly stating an opinion.

Posted by Omni

The one thing I'm trying hard to figure out is why everyone keeps talking about the closing the door line. Is it the door to the closet they might or might not be hiding in?

(No offense meant to any individuals of preferences which won't be elaborated upon.)

[quote=Killer Jordo]Why should we hate something for being popular though?We don't. We hate PATD because they suck balls. Their music is unlistenable, they're too lazy to rhyme, they have no talent whatsoever, and they suck in idiots like you who believe that being too lazy to rhyme is somehow artsy.

Posted by Fate

Wouldn't that mean that one of the standards of making a good song is to rhyme?

Posted by Klarth

No, but one of the standards of making a bad song is going against the grain and being alternative by not rhyming and being uNiQuE lIkE eVeRyOnE eLsE.

Posted by Fate

So, in turn, conforming to rhyming makes it good because it doesn't follow the current Panic! trend?

Posted by Shade

SHORT VERSION: They're bad because they sound bad.

Posted by Omni

They're bad because:

1: They just are.
2: They can't even create rhyming music.
3: They're overrated.
4: They have only one song that people even know about.
5: Their name is stupid.
6: I could go on, but I don't have all day.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Princess Fate: So, in turn, conforming to rhyming makes it good because it doesn't follow the current Panic! trend?

Brick wall to brick wall: AHHHHHH JESUS CHRIST I HATE THESE ****ING ARGUMENTS.

Posted by Fate

I didn't start it. That's basically what he implied. :/

Posted by Omni

It's funny, because we're having a hard time agreeing on why they're not good.

Truth: Whatever reason you give for not liking PATD, you're right. No matter what the reason is.

Posted by Kamek

I really like that song "Lying is the Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off". I like how he sings it, and I do like the lyrics, even if they don't rhyme.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Imperial Phantom: We don't. We hate PATD because they suck balls. Their music is unlistenable, they're too lazy to rhyme, they have no talent whatsoever, and they suck in idiots like you who believe that being too lazy to rhyme is somehow artsy.

Rhyming isn't that hard. Making a song flow without employing rhymes is much harder.

I've only heard one PATD song, and I liked it. I'm not sure if their other stuff is any good, and that's why I haven't bought their CD. Hell, I haven't even DL'd the song. I just catch it on the radio sometimes.

Posted by Omni

I guess that my list of reasons why they're no good is now inaccurate, since they have a new video out with another song in it. They're also being sued by their former bass player.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Imperial Phantom: We don't. We hate PATD because they suck balls. Their music is unlistenable, they're too lazy to rhyme, they have no talent whatsoever, and they suck in idiots like you who believe that being too lazy to rhyme is somehow artsy.

Takes more effort to make a song flow good without rhymes then to make some rhymes.