What were you doing five years ago, when you heard the news?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'll bet that every American remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.

I was in bed, around 6:30 AZ time, when my Dad busted in the room. He was laughing his head off as he said to me, "Anthony, check out the news. Some idiot drunken pilot flew a plane into the World Trade Center!!"

Of course, it was no idiot pilot (well, not an American idiot pilot anyway), and none of us had any idea that a plane hitting the building would make it collapse.

I recall it being the easiest day of my Junior year of Highschool. We did nothing but watch the news in every class, all day long...

The whole day was unreal. I didn't really get it. I was unsure of what the hell was happening. I remember all the rumors flowing around about it being some guy called Bin Laden, and... well, I don't know what the heck was going on most of the day.

Anyone else have any memories to share?

Posted by brownoystercult

lol, I was about to go to School for about the second day or something. I was in 4th grade, and I just woke up like it was any other day. My parents were in front of the T.V with just a STRANGE look on their face. I really didn't understand what happened and why at the time because I was so young.

But what I did know is that my cousins girlfriend worked in the World Trade Center. On the 99th floor, mind you. So that kind of worried me. My cousin called and was just really worried, he was crying when he saw it on the News, and it was just horrible. WITH SOME KIND OF ****ING MIRACLE, she got out of the building in time, but was still a little shaked up. Anyway, that must have been very scary for my cousin, but I'm glad that was over and she survived. Anyway, they aren't even together anymore so I guess it's not as important to me anymore. Still amazing.

Posted by keyartist

I was at my house getting ready for school, I watched the news untell I had to leave. At school in first period, we found out. So they brought all the busses back to school and we went home. Maybe because we live so close to vegas and the nelis air force base. It suck, even to watch footage of all the kids over in Iraq all happy and cheering the attemp of denting the American people, even now I don't like them. The war is a dumb idea, I would have nuked them.

Posted by Raptor

Jacking off. Seriously. I was ****ed because it distracted me from reaching climax for about five minutes, and then I forgot what I was jacking off to.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting keyartist: It suck, even to watch footage of all the kids over in Iraq all happy and cheering the attemp of denting the American people, even now I don't like them. The war is a dumb idea, I would have nuked them.

Hey look, it's a perfect illustration of one of the huge reasons the past five years have been so frustrating and scary.

Grand.

Uh, I was asleep in San Diego and woke up to my parents talking about it and overhearing the news reports. School was surreal obviously, and the internet was the best source of news for the first day or two. The American networks were a hysterical mess and it took me a while to realise BBC America was available.

Posted by NES Queen

My boyfriend called and woke me up and told me to turn on the tv. I thought it was a movie and not real life. I remember sitting there watching the tv as the second plane hit. It was completely surreal. He then got off the phone so he could drive into Manhatten and help (he worked for FDNY, but fortunately enough was on 3rd shift at the time of the attacks so he was home) and I started to make phone calls checking on my family.

My dad worked across the street from the towers, but he too was surprisingly home that day. I was never so happy to hear that he was having kidney problems again, since it meant he was home sick from work. My cousin lived down in the village at the time, but was at work already uptown when it happend so she too was fine.

I was working at the hospital at the time, so I went in early just in case we were going to be getting an influx of patients. The hospital I worked at (and am working at once again now) is right at a train station, so we ended up getting most of the victims from the 1993 shootings on the LIRR. So it wasn't too far fetched to think we would get to help out for this one, but sadly there was no one to help.

My family got very lucky, but there's a ton of people I knew who could very easily have been on the list of victims from that day.

Posted by Dexter

I was actually here at VGC. I remember I was procrastinating my treehouse project and cooking breakfast for my little sister who was still sleeping during the crash. I believe chica was the first person to tell me to turn on the television.

Posted by Pit

Freshman year of high school. Saw the smoke out the window, mom came and picked me up.

Posted by Stalolin

In a Social Studies class in 6th grade. I pretty much didn't know what the **** was going on. I was pretty ****ed retarded, I don't think I really even knew what the Twin Towers were, just that someone mashed a plane into them. and lol the social studies teacher was retarded and sucked at teaching

Posted by Hyper

Woke up, mom said "check this out!" I wasn't watching it too closely because I had to get ready for school. I don't think I heard about the Pentagon, Pennyslvania, or even the second tower until I got to school.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Since I'm in a different time zone, I wasn't waking up like the rest of you.

At about 11:15-30PM 9/11 our time, and I was waiting for Star Trek Voyager to come on. About 15 minutes before it was due to start, a quick newsbreak/flash came on about some plane hitting one of the towers, and IIRC it was made out as some idiot had accidentally flown into it.
Anyway, 15 minutes later a news report started, and continued for about half an hour, showing the footage of the second plane and possibly the Pentagon, before eventually switching to a live CNN feed for the following 24+ hours.

...I would have spent the rest of the night channel surfing between the local stations feeds of CNN/NBC/BBC/etc, but I had a paper route in the morning so I only stayed up until 4-5AM, trying to see if that was all of it.

I was the one who broke the news to my parents in the morning, who immediately switched on the TV.

Posted by Xenos

Funny enough, it was raining that morning - in fact, it rained all day long. My brother had woke up about four or five and found out about it and left, not wanting to bother anyone else about it since it was rather early in the morning. 6th grade, I believe. I got up and turned on the TV to the news because ... I liked watching the news and I saw it. I woke up my parents and showed them that and they were in disbelief. Strange enough ... the kids at my school made little to no fuss about it, yet they knew what had happened. I wonder if they couldn't understand the magnitude of damage or they just didn't care. I remember someone, of who's name I no longer remember, looked up into the sky and said, "Funny its raining today..." For some reason, that scene stood out to me the most [see first sentence].

Posted by Apathetic

Was sitting in front of the TV. Watching and saying umm what?

Posted by Ant

I awoke unusally early for school. At around 6:15am I believe, so after I turned off my alarm I turned on the TV because I had some time to spare. It happened to be on NBC and it was something about the Pentagon getting hit. And then I saw the towers in the corner burning. I watched for awhile, then got in the shower and got ready for school really fast. Then watched the TV again after waking up my father and grandfather. I watched the 1st tower, and then the 2nd tower fall. I then rode my bike to school, it was weird really. And when I got there everyone was talking about that. And the whole day we basically watched TV in class, or talked about it.

Posted by Random

I skipped school and chose to sleep in. Instead I got a phone call from my grandmother informing me that a plane hit one of the towers. I immediately turned on the tv. While watching the TV they were showing the one tower and out of no where the second plane hit. It really had me choked up. They mentioned the pentagon and eventually Western PA (Which isn't all that far from where I live).

I thought it was an all out attack. I figured more would die.. I kept thinking what else could happen. They mentioned more planes yet in the air and what not and it was horrible...

Never again can we let this happen...

My aunt and uncle were in NYC at the time and they themselves saw the second plane hit. They said it was horrible.. They mentioned the police and firemen that were sent out to the towers that were located next to where they were staying had a small percentage of survivors.. Truley devestating!

Posted by Slade

I heard about it the morning before school, but I think my mom was stressing about it so much that she couldn't really explain it to me before I went to school. So I heard about it from my teachers much later, then came home and pieced it together. Spent a bit of time trying to bring it closer to home because I knew it did affect me as an American, but it didn't really work. I don't really feel too strongly about it other than "they did this; that's not acceptable."

Posted by Klarth

Wooo, five-year anniversary. I just thought "huh, it's that day again". Sad and all, but it's not something people should spend the rest of their lives dwelling on if their lives weren't devastated by it. I can't imagine what history would be like if all people spent the rest of their lives asking each other where they were when x event happened.

"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE TOWERS FELL"
"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN STEVE IRWIN DIED"
"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY ANNOUNCED THAT THE PS3 WOULD BE 600 DOLLARS"

Anyway, I was at school watching the news in my history class.

Posted by Speedfreak

Just got back from school. My mum FREAKED.

Posted by Xero

5 years ago, I was at school when it happened.

We actually dint know what was going on. Teachers wouldn't tell us, but they did look serious and nervous.

Once I got home, thats when I learned all about that terrorist attack. I actually thought we (Canada) were pretty lucky, but we could have been next.

Anyways, thats what I was up to...Studying.

Posted by The Judge

Pulling into the parking lot at school.

On the plus side, I didn't have a current event for history class. The TV was on, and I was called first, so I simply pointed.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Flame ghost]we could have been next.
Wrong. Bombing Canada is like pissing into an ocean of piss.

Posted by GameMiestro

I just woke up, and saw it on TV. At the time, I didn't even know where the World Trade Center was (I had just moved to the east coast).

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: Wrong. Bombing Canada is like pissing into an ocean of piss.

I'm sure they think the same way as you do. Send them a fax to make sure.

Posted by Staev

I was firing a rifle into the air shouting, "Derka derka! Mohammed jihad!"

Posted by NeXidala

Well, I was in my Elementary class and we started noticing that people were all leaving early. At first, we all found it funny since we didn't know what was going on. Then, my name was called through the PA and I was told my mom was here to pick me up. As I walked out I was thrown into a confusion of scared, worried, terrified parents, and in the middle talking to the principle was my mom crying. She quickly said good-bye to the principle and hastily buckled me into the car. Then, she proceeded on slamming the accelerator and heading for my sister's high school. My sister was very confused as she walked towards the car and all I remember is me yelling to her in the car about the news and asking her why she wasn't freaking worried. As we got home, my dad was pulling up with the car and we all proceeded to go inside my house. My mom quickly turned on the T.V. and we all sat horrified at the news. It was so devastating, and after that it was all a blur...

Posted by Skitzo Control

I was on my way to school when I first heard about it. I remember all my classes were nothing but sitting and watching the CNN/NBC/Fox news feed.

When I saw this thread, however, I was more concerned about the death of Mitch Hedberg.:(

Posted by Killer Jordo

Fei, are you sure you don't teach grade 9 socials in Invermere? Because my teacher asked us this today.

Anyway, I was recovering from knee surgery. I didn't know what was going on. My parents where out of town. And I wanted to go back to school. So my brother drove me to school so I could walk, I mean roll into class in my wheel chair. I went into my class and everyone was staring at the TV. My teacher was crying onto my principals shoulder saying "My sister! MY SISTER!" I said hey guys and the principal told me to quiet down. I went over to my friends desk and asked what was going on. Then I looked at the TV. Scared the **** out of me.

Posted by TendoAddict

I was in My 7th grade english class. I had no clue what happened and it took awail to realise what it all ment. Only a few minutes alter when the second plane hit did I realise what had happened. It was odd becasue the whole country was on lock down. I didnt know what to think.

Well when I got the whole picture I was a mixture of feelings. Its hard to dicribe. But it was sure unforgetable.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Killer Jordo: Fei, are you sure you don't teach grade 9 socials in Invermere? Because my teacher asked us this today.

HE'S PRETTY SURE, YEAH.

Posted by junior senior

my dad told me before i went to school via howard stern and when i was at school my teacher got a call at 9:30 and she told us and EVERYBODY went home cept me that day :(

Posted by Linko_16

My parents had the TV on when I woke up, and I think they told me about it, but I didn't pay very much attention. Then I got to school and figured out, "wait a sec, this is kind of a big thing, huh?"

Posted by mis0

I was homeschooled at the time, and I electively, as a 13 year old, would watch CNN or something like it in the morning. I remember getting some soda out of the fridge while CNN was on, and hearing them start to talk about a fire at the World Trade Center. I quickly realized that this was one of those things I should wake my mother for, and we saw the second plane hit, live. Honestly, part of me died. Seeing that killed my childhood innocence in a way nothing else could. It was horrible, and I remember it as being one of the longest days of my life. I really couldn't comprehend why terrorists would do something like that at the time, but I did understand that thousands of people died or were dying, and it was really terrible to see such enormous destruction and at the same time, be totally helpless to stop it.

Posted by Arczu

Hmm... Social Studies... Grade 8... tired hand from writing a like... 12 pages of notes staight. Then some big announcment came over the PA. People were spreading rumours ALL over the school like how all the airports are closed and wow. It wasn't much of a shock factor to me untill 2 days later I remember that my cousin moved near there.

But now... well I forgot what was so special about the 11th day. Memories remain but dwelling on it is not doing anybody any good. November 11 is the day for that.

Posted by Staev

In all seriousness, I was a senior in high school, and, like many on the West Coast, I learned about it when my clock radio went off at around 6:30-ish. One of the mongoloid DJs on the classic rock station said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I thought it must either be an accident, or else another silly minor terrorist attack, like the '93 bombing. My mom was horribly freaked out, though; she banged on my door and told me to come see the TV. I was annoyed at losing sleep over something relatively minor, so I told her that I wasn't interested because it was probably an accident.

Then she told me that another plane had hit the Pentagon, and I immediately shot up in my bed. Now THIS was a problem. I knew that this was nothing more than a symbolic attack; it would by no means spell the end of the Republic. What DID concern me was the country's ability to rally around this tragedy, secure the nation, and mobilize our colossal economy and our invincible armed forces to neutralize the threat.

...and dear Lord, to think how completely and utterly the Bush Administration has failed on the last two counts. -_-

Posted by Aioros

Quoting keyartist: The war is a dumb idea, I would have nuked them.

[COLOR="Yellow"]So beautifully, beautifully put.:rolleyes:

I was a Junior in high-school, during 2nd period Zoology class. We were watching a documentary about the great white shark, when the next door teacher knocked on the door and whispered something into my teacher's ear. Inmediatly after, my teacher said she wanted to "check something real quick" so she stopped the tape and put on the news. She was standing in front of the T.V so we couldn't really see what was on, i was sitting up front though so i caught a glimpse of some kind of building on fire. After about 8 seconds, she put the shark movie back on and none of us demanded to see the news since we didn't know what was going on and didn't seem like a big deal. It wasn't until 3rd period that i found out what had happened and i was angry that i wasn't able to see history happen live because my teacher decided it was a better idea to keep playing the documentary of a great white fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king shark.[/COLOR]

Posted by Konohamaru

I came home from school and went up to my room and turned on the tv. A lot of the shows were the same. The president talking about something. I changed it to cartoon network, and Ed Edd and Eddy was on. Then my sister comes running in...
"Kaleb! Mom needs to talk to us!" So I went downstairs and found out why all the channels were the same.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I was in my philosophy lecture. Nobody went to class that day. We were all huddled around television sets like peasants around a fire.

Posted by VampchickAkasha

i was at school, i didnt even know what the world trade center was, it was scarey