Yellow shoulders

Posted by nich

A friend of mine bought a DS lite the other day, and I brought mine over to his place so we could play some multi-player. When I placed them side by side I noticed something, the shoulder buttons on mine are more yellow than his are, and it's not just on the top where you press them it's all over. So this raises a few questions. I know that UV damage can cause white plastic to go yellow but should it be happenning so soon? Does anyone else have the same thing going on? Should I try cleaning it or something?

Posted by Klarth

Buy the black one instead.

Posted by Shade

Yours must be imported, then.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Black Lites were available from launch in Britain.

And yeah, white Lites yellow over time - there's nothing really you can do about it. His is new - of course it's going to be less damaged.

Of course, you could try washing your hands before you played the thing.

Posted by nich

Haha it's not dirty, I tried cleaning it the other day but it didn't work. It can't be helped and I'm over it, although I may go for a black one at some point.

It is dirty. Of course it's dirty. It's just engrained into the plastic.

Try white spirit, although don't blame me if it gets into the electronics and destroys it.

Posted by Apathetic

Paint it white if it annoys you that much. Like wings said though dont blame me if destroys it.

Posted by nich

Quoting nich: It can't be helped and I'm over it, although I may go for a black one at some point.

Quoting Apathetic: Paint it white if it annoys you that much. Like wings said though dont blame me if destroys it.

Wings I'm not sure where I'd get white spirit from but I used soap and water, and rubbing alcohol.

Edit: Looking around the net I've noticed many other people are having the same problem. A few claim to know how to clean it but others say there's nothing you can do.

You should be able to get white spirit from any hardware store. Your parents probably have some in the garage. It's dangerous, though, so only available to adults. It'll clean up your buttons in a jiffy, but it might also erode them.

Posted by nich

I actually cleaned them, I'm so happy. Somebody from some forrum suggested a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it totally worked. Looks like new again.

That's a tip you should share around.

Posted by GameMiestro

For a more permenant solution, try using super glue remover. As long it doesn't dry, it will remove yellow shoulder, paint, your screen protector, and just about anything else.