HDMI vs. Component

Posted by Cruxis

PS3, so far is the only Next-gen system supporting HDMI, and contrary to belief it is not prroven that it is actually better then Component. Although as of now HDMI and component are only rivals, In the end only can emerge the victor.

My money is on Composnent, considering we have had composite all these years and component is far more reliable then HDMI. More so, component is a standard with American HDTV's, and although HDMI is hot in Asia it hasn't fully integrated here in the states and abroad very well, due to the fact that it is used in only limited technologies here.

Posted by Fate

Doesn't HDMI work best with HDTVs?

Posted by Cruxis

Technically, yes. HDMI is one plug-in as aposed to Component, component being usually six AV's. But if you look at it from a visual point of veiw Component is better.

Component and HDMI produce the same image quality at close to the sam frame rate. With the execption that Component is capable of Progressive scan and reading all the verdical lines (thats a good thing). What generally makes HDMI better is the fact that it supports 8 sound piplines, meaning if you have a $3000 8.1 sound system that you might want HDMI other wise, 5.1 sound sytem owners will be perfectly fine with component and HDTV work just as well with it if not better, that is if you have a normal HDTV. Now if you had a new 1080p Plasma of sorts or any other high end HDTV you might have problems, due to the fact that some of them can't up-convert HD signals lower then 1080i. I have a Projection HDTV that runs everything from 480i-1080p and I can pick up everything with my Component cables though.

Posted by Fate

I have one of those nifty new-age televisions. I don't think component is as efficient as HD-related stuff.

Posted by Cruxis

lol:)

still don't completely agree. But HDMI need people to support it though.

I do kind of think on the other hand that HDTV's should have both, HDDVD works better with component and Bluray with HDMI so it only makes sense to have both....but I guess that would hurt there monopoly on things huh?:D

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]I have one of those nifty new-age televisions. I don't think component is as efficient as HD-related stuff.[/COLOR]

You aren't allowed to talk about technology or business ever again.

I WILL ACTUALLY DELETE YOUR POSTS IF YOU DO.