Site building.

Posted by Xenos

I am curious where should I start to learn site building? Yes, I know basic HTML.

Posted by higbvuyb

What do you mean by site building?
1. More HTML?
2. How to use a WYSIWYG editor?
3. How to get a site onto the internet?
4. How sites should be designed to maximise usability?

Posted by Xenos

1. Done.
2. Yes, I know how to use that.
3. Sort of.
4. Sort of.

I meant desiging the whole template. I remember Jack once told me to use Image Ready, yet at other places it says photoshop, so I wasn't sure what to start out with.

Posted by Linkman

Use Photoshop for web design, not Image Ready.

If you just wanna learn how to design a website, the first step is to learn quite a bit of HTML, not just basic HTML. Mainly tables though. After that, it might not be a bad idea to learn CSS (Cascading Stylesheet), as most HTML tags are dead-weight without it.

For all this stuff, go to: http://www.w3schools.com/
You'll pick it all up pretty fast there.

Get all of that down before moving onto more complicated stuff like PHP, Javascript, SQL, XML, etc..

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Linkman]
Use Photoshop for web design, not Image Ready.
um, no. Use Photoshop for GRAPHIC design, Imageready for web layouts. no slices or imagemapping in PS sir.

Posted by Linkman

Depends really. If you're making a webskin and have experience (or have the patience to gain that experience), then Photoshop is better. ImageReady is better for some things though, I'll give you that.

P.S: Photoshop DOES have image slicing (if that's what you meant by slices).

Posted by Klarth

Imageready has slices streamed in much more elegantly, but eh.

Plus, swf support in IR CS2 :)

Posted by Hyper

I personally use Photoshop for designing and slicing. Works just as well. I generally dislike WYSIWYG editors for HTML, so try to just stick to Notepad and get in the habit of hardcoding everything as the results are much better.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Depending on what kind of site you want, you can learn some easy scripting and modify some preset code like Wordpress or something. It's much, much easier to set up and keep track of than anything you can code in just HTML.