starfox ds

Posted by Drewboy64

[IMG]http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/714/714118/star-fox-command-20060622052943009.jpg[/IMG]
Interesting boxart.
It's cool how you can use different ships, but I hope the controls are good.

Posted by Klarth

They're set to follow a similar formula to Hunters - Different buttons on the touchscreen follow different functions.

I look forward to flying a Wolfen, and, er, whatever that thing in the upper-right is.

Posted by Drewboy64

Does the d-pad do anything, or do you just use the stylus to move the ship around.
And I hope you can use the wrist strap nub.

Hmm, maybe each character gets a special ship or something. There's 4 blue ships, and fox has teh arwing, and the upperright ship looks like it would be Falco's.
I think the red ones are just enemies.

Posted by Klarth

Nope, at E3 the Wolfen was available for play.

Posted by Moogs

What's the story?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Who cares. Just as long as there's some sweet ship blasting.

Posted by Klarth

I also like the look of the orange thing on the right of the logo...

Posted by Dexter

I don't care much about being able to use different ships. The gameplay doesn't interest me as much as the actual characters and story does. I hear there is some serious drama between Fox and Krysal. I hear that Fox decides to break up with Krystal because he wants to keep her safe. He must be out of his fur. And how did Slippy get a girlfriend? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Looking forward to figuring it out.

Posted by Flounder

all i want is good replay value, wifi, and classic cheesey quotes such as "DO A BARREL ROLL" and "SOMTHINGS WRONG WITH THE G-DIFFUSER"

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Dexter: I don't care much about being able to use different ships. The gameplay doesn't interest me as much as the actual characters and story does. I hear there is some serious drama between Fox and Krysal. I hear that Fox decides to break up with Krystal because he wants to keep her safe. He must be out of his fur. And how did Slippy get a girlfriend? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Looking forward to figuring it out.

You play Starfox for the story? Oh man, Dex, just... :(

Posted by Pit

Quoting Klarth: You play Starfox for the story? Oh man, Dex, just... :(

Yeah, that's the main reason star fox adventures sucked. Sotry is like all:
James dies, vengeance on Andross, and then Starfox Adventures was so gay that wow so gay

Posted by Slade

Huh, I didn't know about this release. I'm looking into getting a Lite, though, so this might be a bit more incentive.

I've never paid much attention to the story. It was just the amigos, you know, stickin' together and fightin' evil.

Posted by Dexter

I just can't imagine another enjoyable flying Star Fox game. I really did enjoy Star Fox 64. It is the best flying game ever! Star Fox Assault was a terrible game. I did, however, enjoy the actual characters and a little bit of the story in Assault, such as Peppy nearly dying (shame he didn't). I'd enjoy another ground adventure. Star Fox Adventures was a visually pleasing game and I really did have fun venturing through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsHiE0MRjHY

eight minute video.

Posted by s0ul

What the hell? Is the WHOLE thing in all-range mode?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they need to just remake Starfox 64 because they can not for the life of them get it right again.

[quote=Flounder]"DO A BARREL ROLL" and "SOMTHINGS WRONG WITH THE G-DIFFUSER"

And also, a-mother****ing-men.

Quoted post: What the hell? Is the WHOLE thing in all-range mode?

Looks that way, which is ****es me off. I want some on-rail fighting, you know... like how Starfox games should play?

Posted by Dexter

I just pre-ordered it. Should be here by the end of August. I'm not expecting it to be too fantastic, but I'm certainly hoping.

Posted by Drewboy64

They CAN do it right again. You guys do not know how fantastic the flying missions in assault are. Or maybe you do. But if nitnendo did that game wihtout ground missions or with better ground controls, it would be so awesome.

I wonder if Starfox DS uses too much touch control... It'd be better to map the d-pad to funcitons like barrel roll, etc.

Posted by Dexter

The flying missions in Assault were fairly average, definitely not worthy of being compared to Star Fox 64. There were a few decent ones I like playing over again, but most of them were boring and trite to the point that I didn't care if the aparoids utterly destroyed the Lylat System. I seem to recall enjoying some of the ground missing more and I don't remember being too bothered with the ground controls.

I expect Command to be easily superior to Assault, but inferior to Star Fox 64 and probably not of the cool to compare with Adventures. I should be getting my copy this next week! I'm certainly in the mood for it.

Command is going to suck. I would have been way more happy with a SF64 port.

Posted by Speedfreak

This game is basically a remake of the unreleased, but entirely complete, Starfox 2 for the SNES. I've played it, the game is badass. Maybe it doesn't offer the same experience as Starfox or Starfox 64 but the game stands up on it's own merits.

Posted by Drewboy64

Man, I wish you could transform into Mechs like you would've been able to in Starfox 2. That would have been so awesome. Assuming the ground missions wouldnt suck like Assault's.

Do you think you could use the wrist/thumb strap instead of the stylus to play it?

Quoted post: Do you think you could use the wrist/thumb strap instead of the stylus to play it?

Probably, but the thumbstrap is... not as good as everyone once thought it was. I've always found stylus control much easier. Plus, you gotta tap **** on screen and direct bombs. That's not going to be easy with the thumbstrap.

Posted by Pit

lol slippy isn't gay

what a drag

He might as well be with an ugo like her. I mean, why do they even bother with a storyline? Just tell us something's under attack and we have to stop it. Good ***.

Posted by Apathetic

Exactly, and I hope to do barrel roll lol. Jeez and the slippy thing was a shocker lol.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Pit: lol slippy isn't gay

what a drag

But apparently leon is. He uses the rainbow fighter.

Yeah, I decided not to use the wrist strap, it's just much better to use the stylus (Although I prefer it for MPH). This game's multiplayer is quite good, but I haven't done singleplayer yet, only my brother has. Hopefully I can get my own copy eventually or something like that.

Posted by Moogs

Ah, so this game is good? I may have this by next week... I am hoping at least.

Posted by GameMiestro

I might get this game tonight. There are so few good games for the DS being released now-a-days... I guess this could tide me over until November.

Posted by Zeta

I might get this, although I've heard wi-fi has already been heavily corrupted by disconnectors and point-thieves. MegaMan ZX takes top priority for me right now anyways.

Posted by muffla

a n64 port would be great they should do that just like thay did maro 64

Posted by Zeta

Ugh, I'm really ****ing tired of all the people I hear whining about how Nintendo just should have ported Star Fox 64.

They should have. I would've actually bought it.

Posted by Colonel

I baught it.
It's really good, except for the fact that you have to collect the stars after you shoot someone down on WiFi in order to get the point. You should just get the point for shooting a ship down.

Posted by cyberclash

I know tha has been mentioned alot but the controls are quite hard espicall when you just start out on online I felt like a total newbe

Posted by Dexter

I was hoping for at least the option to use the D Pad. Using the stylus is enjoyable, but it makes it difficult to play in the car. I'm having fun with the strategic elements of the game. I have not progressed too far yet so it's difficult to give a decent opinion on the game. I've always enjoyed the characters, though, so the game's been a real treat to me. All these great pilots with so many personal issues. Falco and his ego, Fox and his stubbornness, etc. They should train their personalities at the academy, since that's a major element towards a successful and productive individual. I'm sure the Lylat System would be doing better if all these furries would just get their act together and learn to coexists! Fox can't even maintain a stable relationship or keep his team together!

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Zeta: Ugh, I'm really ****ing tired of all the people I hear whining about how Nintendo just should have ported Star Fox 64.

Well they haven't made an acceptable Starfox since then. I'd rather play 64 again than any of the crap since Adventures.

Posted by Breakman

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I HAVE THIS GAME AND IT OWNS. a lot of people have been bashing it at various places of the internet but as a longtime starfox fan i can heartily say that if you even remotely enjoy the series you will *most likely* love this game if for no other reason than the excellent, branching story and the online play. The controls take some getting used to but really, I find the single player at least ALMOST as fun as SF64, and the multiplayer, tons of playable characters in singleplayer, and unparallelled best story in the star fox series by leagues makes this worth it.

that is all.

Posted by Dexter

Just defeated the game. It was a decent game, overall. Fell right where I predicted it would, below Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures, but above Star Fox Assault. Constant all-range mode started out as a disappointment, but I grew attached to it after awhile. I liked how it gave me the opportunity to play as so many characters, characters I've never been able to control before. I liked Panther Caroso's space-craft. Still think he's a foolish character. If Krystal is going to run to anyone that isn't Fox, she better make it Falco Lombardi or Wolf O'Donnell or at least Bill Grey. Panther would as soon fall in love with Fara Phoenix or, dare I say it, Amanda!

And why was Krystal so unpleasant? They gave her such a rebellious attitude, it almost felt like an entirely different character. She certainly didn't remind me of the Krystal I have come to know. Even Fox didn't reconize her in one of the endings. She's supposed to be an exceptionally caring and forgiving English fox, not a stuck-up, seditious, sadistic, revengeful prick. She allowed her girly emotions to take control of her and lead her down a very depressing path. It was so difficult to get a good ending with her, like satisfying a woman. Wait...

Quoted post: Fell right where I predicted it would, below Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures, but above Star Fox Assault.

That's not saying much.

Posted by Zeta

"Panther will make you late for your hot date."

Command's 'do a barrel roll' line? I think so.

Posted by Breakman

Quoting Vampiro: That's not saying much.

Better than Adventures, too, IMO. Close to SF64 in some aspects, but the negative ones keep it down.

I actually thought Krystal was excellent in this game. She actually ahd emotion, actually wasn't just yet a nother bland Nintendo female. I'm really glad she actually stuck up for herself, and did things according to how SHE felt she'd be happiest, not blindly try to appease the male lead. Sure, a lot of her actions and sayings are stupid ("*** FOX ALL ANDROSS DID WAS KILL YOUR DAD I MEAN C'MON 8))))))))))))) ) but overall I like her character a lot in SFC.

Screw Fara, man, I hope they bring back Faye and Miyu from Starfox 2 for Wolf and Panther's ladies. If Krystal chooses someone other than Fox, I'd rather it be Wolf than Panther myself; I think Bill and Lucy will probably end up getting together, for whatever reason (it's implied that Lucy at least gets a man at some point in the future). And everyone knows Falco's with Katt, and I really hope Fox stays with Krystal, for various reasons.

"Panther will make you late for your hot date" actually sounds more like SFC's version of some random SF64 Starwolf quote. I dunno about the new Barrel Roll, but one of my favorite lines in all of SFC was, right after Fox publically apologized to Krystal in one of the paths, Leon with his "OH I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY~~ WHKSHHHHHHHHH! WHKSHHHHHH! WHKSHHHHHH!' Man, that was classic. Star Wolf is so very badass in this game.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro: That's not saying much.

It had tough competition. Still, it was different. It took a lot more strategy.

Krystal had a good character, but it didn't feel like Krystal's personality. It felt like she was someone else, acting differently than I thought she ever would. It was often amusing and I looked forward to how she would reply to certain things, but I was still uneasy about how odd she seemed in this game. It just didn't feel like her. Fox was being quite the jerk, too, but I suppose that felt like a real Fox trait to me.

I've never even played Star Fox 2. It is the only Star Fox game I never had the pleasure of experiencing. I suppose I should find it and give it a try sometime. Also, I never could defeat the original Star Fox for the Super Nintendo. I've gotten real far, but it is easily the most difficult Star Fox game out there. I wonder if Star Fox 2 is as difficult. With more time I can do it, but it'll probably take a lot of time and dedication.

So are there any sort of plans for another Star Fox game in the future? I'm sure we'll get another one eventually, but is there any current talk about one?

Posted by Pit

Star Fox 2 wasn't released, hat's why you didn't play it.

Only tough competition SF Command had was SF64, cause Adventures and Assualt sucked, and SFSNES was basically a primitive version of the N64 one in terms of gameplay and ****.

Quoted post: Better than Adventures, too, IMO. Close to SF64 in some aspects, but the negative ones keep it down.

Not even close.

Quoted post: Star Fox 2 wasn't released, hat's why you didn't play it.

You can still play it.

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, I hear it's not too difficult to get Star Fox 2. There was a thread in the Super Nintendo forum about the game and it seemed as though a lot of members had it and enjoyed it. I'd really like to experience it, but I should probably defeat the origional Star Fox first.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dexter: I'd really like to experience it, but I should probably defeat the origional Star Fox first.

I never beat the original Star Fox myself... I probably will try to tackle it in the near future.

How is the multiplayer in this thing? I read that it is similar to SF64's, and the only reason I got SF64 was because my uncle and I LOVED the multiplayer. It might be the next multiplayer game I get if there are some good reports.

It sucks. Maybe with a few friends, but online, it's really lame.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's difficult to play Star Fox 2 because the framerate blows, the game is incomplete and it crashes often.

Posted by GameMiestro

I really wish Nintendo would put some more effort into their DS games... with games like Star Fox, it's incredibly obvious that they're cutting corners to get the game out.

Posted by Pit

Quoting GameMiestro: I really wish Nintendo would put some more effort into their DS games... with games like Star Fox, it's incredibly obvious that they're cutting corners to get the game out.

You like, just named one game. So...

Posted by Dexter

Star Fox Command didn't feel like a game they cut corners on, it felt like a game where they knew what they were after and set out for it. Rather or not people liked the idea is a different story. This game got its fair share of criticism and adulation. I don't see many Star Fox fans flaming it too much.

Posted by Zeta

I see quite a bit of flaming. Always whining about how all the levels are in all-range mode.

Quoted post: Always whining about how all the levels are in all-range mode.

Valid complaint.

Posted by Proto Man

And all-range mode is...? Sorry, I am not up on Star Fox Terminology.

Posted by Zeta

Where you can fly around freely, as opposed to the classic straightforward levels.

Posted by Dexter

Look at the few Star Fox fans here at VGC alone. I see them complimenting the game more than criticizing it. The style they went for is disagreeable at time, but I still enjoyed it, nevertheless. All-range mode didn

Posted by Proto Man

Hmm... well it depends on the levels I guess. Star Fox 64 did a pretty good job with that stuff. So did the Rogue Squadron games for that matter. Anyhow, it didn't bother me at all when I first encountered it.

Posted by Pit

All range mode is cool, but like, after a while it just got so boring for me in command, and the fact that it seems so slow is that botherd me. Starfox 64 was way more fast paced than command.

Posted by Dexter

The pace was slowed significantly probably due to the way we had to discontinue one activity to go to another, such as strategizing our limited moves to battling in the galactic furfights. It was two really different things and mixing them together made it more difficult for me to get involved.

Posted by Litbut

Star Fox Command to me was the worst game I've ever played. I sold it shortly after I got it.

Posted by Dexter

Many people didn't enjoy the strategic elements or the uncertain endings. They just didn't have much clarity or a sense of fulfillment to them.

Posted by Poco

[QUOTE=Dexter;429869]Look at the few Star Fox fans here at VGC alone. I see them complimenting the game more than criticizing it. The style they went for is disagreeable at time, but I still enjoyed it, nevertheless. All-range mode didn

Posted by Dexter

I didn't even like Krystal in this game. She angered and disappointed me. I like her most and forever will think about her as she was in Adventures.