Basilisk

Posted by Fate

This is a series I've been getting into lately. It's a very good ninja action love story. If you liked Ninja Scrolls, I think you'll like this one better. Now in manga and anime form.

Ieyasu Tokugawa is the first shogun of Japan. The Tokugawa clan rivals the Toyotomi, and both clans have access to several samurai. But the Tokugawa clan has an inbattle that must be solved: His sons are now vie for the title of the next shogun with his upcoming retirement, and it must be taken care of or the Tokugawa clan will fall apart, destroying itself.

Ieyasu asks his guardian priest for a solution to this, in which the guardian says that there needs to be a battle between the two sons, but using samurai from both the sons' factions would be unnecessary bloodshed. So the guardian proposes to use two clans that have hated each other for 400 years to represent the sons in their battle for the shogun title-- those clans being the Iga and the Kouga clan. The Iga and the Kouga are two very powerful ninja clans that are only at peace with each other because of a very bothersome truce that was formed. With the truce now being abolished for the representation of the two sons, the two clans are now at full-on war. Ten ninja from each clan are to be killed for one clan to rule for 1000 years.

So what's the problem? The two clans go to war about the same time that Gennosuke of the Kouga clan and Oboro of the Iga clan are about to be married to end the feud and unify them. They are now supposed to face each other in a battle of life or death.

"To my beloved... Please die."

[center][/center]

Posted by GundelHell_Maker

that anime is weird like ya...

Posted by Fate

But ridiculously good.

Posted by GundelHell_Maker

yes to much blood and killing and like weird powers... but is good i saw the first 7 epsd and then i stoped :(

Posted by Dexter

I just finished the first volume tonight and I'll definitely be watching the 2nd volume when it is released October 3rd. I sort of wished I waited because I would've like to watch it all at once. I was easily attached from the start, the first episode. I got more interested in the love story instead of the actual ninja element, although I do find it rad how they all have such divergent ninja abilities. I'm definitely enjoying this more than Ninja Scroll, but I would, like Fate, suggest this anime to Ninja Scroll fans. I'm looking forward to some Battle Royale-like drama between the lovers.

Posted by Fate

That's going to be so sad. :(

Posted by Dexter

I know it. It was so unexpected, too, how she turned against him in the first episode. The change in attitude was difficult to have me convinced. He spoke and treated her so gently and lovingly. He earned my trust in 15 minutes, so I'm sure he had something strong established with her. Maybe there is something about him that I am unable to notice. He is incredibly wise. There is the mystery of his eyes and perhaps he has hidden motives or wicked intentions. I know how powerful a weapon love and compassion can be and perhaps he's found a way to use it in his favor?

Arg! I need volume 2!

Posted by Fate

That whole scene wasn't in the manga, but it was still a powerful death of Ogen and Danjou. I'm interested in the politics here. I'll wonder if it will just come down to Oboro and Gennosuke at the end and they'll just end it.

Posted by Dexter

I finally got to watch volume 2. Amazing volume. My favorite scene was with the brother and sister (forgot their names) when the brother found her dead and spoke to her while holding her hand. She kept saying "my brother, my brother" and it was really moving and dramatic. Now I have to wait until the next volume is released sometime in mid-November. :(

Posted by Fate

Saemon and Okoi. It was so sad.

Posted by Dexter

Watched volume 3 of Basilisk. Overall, I enjoyed volume 1 and 2 more, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy volume 4 the most. It's all building up for a really powerful ending, I can tell. Not that the volumes should be considered too separate. There was an episode on volume 3 that was nearly all retrospection and since I was up-to-date on everything, that episode didn't really bring me anywhere new. I'm not really sure how this is going to end. I'm so curious. I have a feeling everyone will end up dying besides the two lovers. My predictions will probably fail me, though.

The introduction with the bird and snake is excellent. The music gets you in the mood and the narration gives it the epic feeling. Great stuff. Too bad I have to wait until 2007 for volume 4! :mad:

Posted by Fate

...I already know the ending.

But yes, limited edition get.

Posted by Dexter

Watched volume 4. I was thinking it was going to be the final volume, but it must go to 5 or maybe even 6. I would like it more if they spent more time on individual ninjas. They spend a little on some, often right before they die, and it makes them more memorable and interesting. Flashbacks, motives, feelings, etc. The characters could use more.

I'm going to read through the manga sometime in the next two weeks, too.

Posted by Sean Fury

My friend Greger informs me that Basilisk is Romeo and Juliet with ninjas, anyone confirm this?

Posted by Fate

Add some super powers and more active groups and yeah, that's what it is. Pretty good stuff.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Fate: Add some super powers and more active groups and yeah, that's what it is. Pretty good stuff.

I dunno, how is the actual romance? I'm sick of watching shows where most of it is romantic, low-music moments where it's drawn up to a single kiss and than somebody there dies and they have to do that same thing like eighteen times throughout the series.

Posted by Fate

There is no romance. What I mean by groups being more active is that the two main characters, Oboro and Gennosuke, are completely separated after the war starts. The terrible final battle (duh, of course there's a final battle) isn't romantic at all. The only romance that goes on is before the war starts and when the war finally ends-- and even when it ends it's not what I would call romance. :/

Posted by Sean Fury

I am now intrigued and will be looking into this as soon as I can. Is there a manga or is it just anime?

Posted by Fate

Both. It came from a book called "The Kouga Ninja Scrolls". There is a live-action series and a movie, too.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Fate: Both. It came from a book called "The Kouga Ninja Scrolls". There is a live-action series and a movie, too.

The live-action any good? Typically the Japanese tend to make their live-action anime movies excellent (see: Death Note). Have you read the manga and is it any good in your opinion?

Posted by Dexter

You should enjoy the anime, Fury. There isn't much romance at all and what is there is real good.

And I'm looking forward to Shinobi. Did you already see it, Fate? How'd you like it? Comes out next week. YAY!

Posted by Fate

I'm excited about Shinobi! However, ten of the characters were cut for movie purposes. I suggest seeing the ADV series for the full effect.

Posted by Dexter

Shinobi came out yesterday and we all watched it. Not as good as the anime but I enjoyed it. I missed the music from the anime and something about the cast just went astray. Oboro just didn't come off as untainted and sacred. Also, some things felt too rushed while other aspects seemed to develop slow. It would have been nice if they spent more time on the romance, built it up more for a superior climax. Still, easy recommendation for you all. You should enjoy it, Sean Fury, especially if you liked Death Trance.

Posted by Fate

I just finished the series.

It has taken the place of my favorite anime ever.