stoner rock/metal

Posted by Vg200x

Can anyone give me more bands of the stoner metal genre, I'v been going on myspace and searching diffrent pages that people have recommened me but I'v only found 3 bands I like. I found kyuss,fu manchu,monster magnet,acid king(I fukking love them),earthlings?,eletric wizard,unida,nebula,queers of the stone age(which I don't think are that good but the members of kyuss have joined this band) and I'v found a few more that members of these bands have joined or made there own but I don't like what they have started.so anyone no some more?lol

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sleep
Dot[.]
Boris
Electric Wizard
The Gersch
Sahg
Star Child
EARTH
Doomriders

And some others I can't recall at the moment.

Posted by Vg200x

love sleep, and I have eletric wizard on my profile but I havent really listened to them..thanks tho.. and is the stoner rock big in canadia? I found that there is more of the genre in canada,the UK and krautrock(sour kraut)

Not really, it's not a particularly big genre anywhere as far as I know... hell, the only reason I got into the genre was because I liked doom and drone.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Vampiro]Sleep
Dot[.]
Boris
Electric Wizard
The Gersch
Sahg
Star Child
EARTH
Doomriders

And some others I can't recall at the moment.

Estradasphere?

Quoted post: Estradasphere?

They're more avant-garde-ish/eclectic.

Posted by Shade

Pink Floyd

Posted by Shin-Ra

Other than the ones mentioned:

Astroqueen
Saint Vitus
Witchcraft
Fireball Ministry

Also, Drone and Funeral Doom could be good for you if you dig Earth. Esoteric, Nortt (BM/Funeral Doom) and Pantheist are the way to go.

The step between Stoner metal and funeral doom might be too large of a gap. But if not, there's some **** good bands in that genre.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Vampiro: They're more avant-garde-ish/eclectic.

Yeah, "stoner metal" refers to a specific sub-genre of metal as opposed to any music in general that sounds good while high. Old circus tunes sound awesome while stoned for example, but it's not "stoner metal" obviously. Estradasphere falls under the same category- their music is awesome to get high to, but they'd be more appropriately categorized as "eclectic" like Vamp said.

Posted by Vg200x

well we don't have to get into details people. down-tempo,sludg,stoner,fuzz,doom,pysc, take your pick.

Quoted post: Yeah, "stoner metal" refers to a specific sub-genre of metal as opposed to any music in general that sounds good while high. Old circus tunes sound awesome while stoned for example, but it's not "stoner metal" obviously. Estradasphere falls under the same category- their music is awesome to get high to, but they'd be more appropriately categorized as "eclectic" like Vamp said.

Right, it's pretty easy to define and point out stoner metal actually. It'll often have raspy vocals, bassy guitars, slower tempo then that of regular rock and metal, a more raw production and often psychedelic elements. Though, it has a more harsh sound than that of stoner rock.

Quoted post: well we don't have to get into details people. down-tempo,sludg,stoner,fuzz,doom,pysc, take your pick.

If you want Sludge: A.M., Old Man Gloom, and Mouth of the Architect are excellent. And of course, Cult of Luna, Isis, Mastodon, Boris, etc.

If you want to try out Funeral Doom: Ahab, Catacombs, Elysian Blaze, Hyponic, Mournful Congregation, and the ones Shin-Ra mentioned among others are excellent choices.

Posted by Vg200x

lol just listen to kyess and any band that sounds like them match em' up, I also just found 18 speed tranny which I like which aren't that much stoner but there slower.

EDIT: Have you heard of hezzakya vampiro? there out of vancouver BC..