2.80 homebrew is reality

Posted by Klarth

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2-0-2-80-Firmware-PSP-s-Say-Hello-World-as-New-Exploit-is-Found-/pg/49/aid/63483#comments

New libtiff exploit similar to the 2.00 one. And it doesn't require GTA. Right now all that exists is Hello World, but expect to see an eloader sometime soon.

Posted by MGamer

Yeah I heard about it. There is also a 2.71 downgrader coming out today.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

So this means I should upgrade from 2.71?

Posted by Apathetic

Yeah I was just wondering the same thing. I have a mobo that has the numbers that means you cant downgrade, does this work on all firmwares of just the one they started it as.

At least I don't have THAT.

Posted by Klarth

Whoa, I go away for a few days and THIS happens? Whoa. o_o

Wings: Don't upgrade. Although the exploit is present in 2.80 too, it could still be a while before we see a downdater for it.

So what can I do with my 2.75 machine as of now?

Posted by Klarth

You can wait a few hours for the downgrader :D

Posted by Apathetic

Wait, you have 2 or one psp's. The downgrader is going to be out in a few hours? LOCO LOL.

Which would downgrade it to what?

Posted by Klarth

aka: Best firmware you can get. Devhook up to 2.71 and you're set to go. FOREVER.

Well, certain demos only work with 2.80. But I didn't realise there was a downgrader available for 2.71 soon.

How reliable is it?

Posted by Klarth

The downgrader? Apparently it works perfectly. I'd wait until it's out and people have tested it though - Cruise around qj's forums and see what people say about it once it's available.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I don't get it. What's the point of this? I'man00b.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Still running virgin v1.5. Wow.

Posted by Klarth

Mine came as a 1.52. Up-down-voila.

GoldenMyr: PSPs have different firmwares, some of which can run homemade code better than others.

Posted by Apathetic

So what would be better for me, 2.6 or 2.8? Right now Im fine with 2.6 but I would love to try this.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Klarth: GoldenMyr: PSPs have different firmwares, some of which can run homemade code better than others.

Huh? I already knew that. I meant, "What is the point of the Hello World eploit?"

It shows that the firmware can be exploited. Which, potentially, shows that homebrew can be piped through the exploit.

Posted by Apathetic

So that means were waiting for the pontential to become reality so we can put homebrew on 2.8 firmware psp's. Dang, I thought it was actually out already :(

Posted by Arczu

...all of this talk is starting to make me lean towards getting a PSP.

Though I'd want to know 100% of what I'm doing before I screw up and create a $300 brick. The research begins.

Where's a good place to start?

There really is no point to buying a PSP if you don't already own one.

Posted by Apathetic

That is if you would run homebrew. Youd have to do some ebay searchin then.