Punchout

Posted by Apathetic

Does anyone play this game? Great boxing game, simple and fun to play. Right now Im on the "whale" guy. How about you guys?

Posted by Stalolin

Possibly one of the more addictive NES games I've played. Ranks right up there with Super Mario Bros. 3. Simple and fun gameplay with memorizaiton or your oppenent's attacks as one of the main themes of the game. Defintely a suberb NES classic.

Posted by Zac

I played it recently. Was unable to beat Macho

Posted by WackoHater2

I played it years and years ago when my NES worked. I liked it quite a bit.

Posted by Apathetic

Anyone mind telling me how to beat the "whale" guy?

Posted by neofreak91

I was good in that game years and years ago in the NES good old days

this game is simple and fun gameplay

Posted by Crazy K

I played it a wile back on Console Classix. Fun game for sure. Wish I had it for my NES. :(

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Crazy K: I played it a wile back on Console Classix. Fun game for sure. Wish I had it for my NES. :(

I wish my NES still worked. :(

Posted by Arcadios

My NES still works. :D
But sadly I lack Punch Out. :(
It's a great game thou. :)

Posted by WackoHater2

Can I have your NES Arc? I'll give you 75¢.

Posted by Apathetic

Its worth a lot more these days haha.

Posted by WackoHater2

But all that I have is 75¢. :(

Posted by Raptor

OVERRATED AS HELL

It was okay, though.

Posted by NES Queen

What "whale" guy? Do you mean King Hippo? If so, you have to wait till he opens his mouth and barks to punch him, then keep hitting him in the belly and eventually he will go down. Once he's knocked down once he won't get back up (he's too fat).

Posted by Apathetic

Kickass, thanks tons nes queen, I will go beat the hippo! <3

Posted by neonmole

Got the game on ROM, might play it later.:cool:

Posted by ZEN

'Punch-Out' is my all-time favorite boxing game. I actually prefer 'Mike Tyson's Punch-Out' just so I can beat down the legend himself (I once got him KO'd in Round 2).

This was also one of the first home video games I remember to truly give us cartoon quality graphics and animation. The facial expressions of the fighters are great and gives a rather simple game a lot of personality.

The action would eventually get so furious and intense at times (especially in a close match) that it was easy to forget that you were just standing toe-to-toe, throwing punches and dodging left/right.

After much play though, you would learn the patterns and movements of your opponents. Even after that. the "Dream Fight" still proved to be quite a challenge.
I still have trouble with Super Macho Man too (and sometimes even Don Flamenco part 2).

Posted by andrewg

YEP. Mike Tyson's punchout! love that game.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Punchout is the only boxing game I ever bothered to play. I <3 this game! <3<3<3

Now I have the music stuck in my head. That and flashbacks of my early childhood...

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting andrewg: YEP. Mike Tyson's punchout! love that game.

lol, I wish I got that one.

Posted by Pit

http://djpretzel.web.aplus.net/songs/Punchout_Little_Macs_Confession_OC_ReMix.mp3

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting rep thingy: Sadistic Grin agrees: That's not entirely true. I've had one occasional where King Hippo came-to. But, I quickly re-delivered his *** to the mat.

um, no, you haven't. it is impossible and not listed as a glitch anywhere that i can recall off the top of my head for king hippo to get back up.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, once you knock him down he stays down. I've played the Mike Tyson version and just plain Punch-Out and in both versions he just sits there until you whack him.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

[quote=rep thingy]Sadistic Grin disagrees: I don't care.. Next insult.

i'm not insulting you. you're just really wrong. king hippo never gets up for a second go around and i don't know why you'd make that up.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Okay, once I get the time in my schedule to dig my NES collection out from storage. I'll sit down and do a little "research", I believe you. I may have been thinking of another character, I honestly don't know. I haven't played Punch Out!! in quite a while. Sorry..

Posted by NES Queen

It's possible your thinking of Bald Bull, when he does his infamous bull charge. But it's definitely not with King Hippo

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Apathetic: Anyone mind telling me how to beat the "whale" guy?

You mean King Hippo?

As he is punching you, he'll occasionally open his mouth real quick and then punch. While his mouth is open, punch him in the face. His shorts will start to fall down, and then punch him in the gut repeatedly until he starts blocking again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And if you're talking about Bald Bull, when he gets against the back ropes and then charges at you, all you've got to do is punch him in the gut right as he approaches you. If you do it at just the right time, he'll go down right then and there.

Quoting Apathetic: lol, I wish I got that one.

My understanding is that the original "Punchout!", minus the Mike Tyson, is more rare. I've personally owned 3 copies of Mike Tyson's Punchout, but I've never even seen a copy of Punchout! in real life. I'm not a bigtime hardcore trader, but I do get around a bit.

Posted by Pit

Wasn't the original Punch Out, like behind the back view, and a see through green figure, which was remaded to Super Punch Out? Like an Arcade game and ****.

Or was that afterwards?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Punchout looked something like this:

The only difference between "Punchout!" and "Mike Tyson's Punchout" is the presence of Mike Tyson as the last guy you have to fight. In the original "Punchout!", I believe the last guy was called "Mr. Dream".

I'd also like to state the Mike Tyson is ridiculously hard to beat, in the game. Seriously. Almost everything he does is instant knock-down, and even if you avoid getting 3 in one round, you eventually can't get up. I've never fought Mr. Dream, but I'd imagine his moves would be the same as Tyson's, only, you know, not black.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

actually, the original "punchout" was just what pit said. it was an arcade game with a few more blatantly stereotypical characters. for example, the character from italy is named "pizza pasta". honestly, that's his name.

[url=http://www.punchout.freehosting.net/main.html]right here[/url] is a pretty cool site about it, with a cool quiz at the end.

Posted by Pit

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

There was Punch-Out!! then Super-Punch-Out!! on arcade (which was remade on SNES with superior graphics and sound) and then Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! came out with the ocntract ending, him losing his title, rape offense, etc, and then Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream.

Posted by TEAMBAJA

Mike Tysons Punchout is my all time favorite NES game. Glass Joe is one hardcore dude!

King Hippo will not get up........

Mr Dream fights exactly like Tyson.

I can still be Tyson easily to this day. Just dont blink your eyes because if you do you'll get knocked out!

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=rivercitytecmo][URL="http://www.punchout.freehosting.net/main.html"]right here[/URL] is a pretty cool site about it, with a cool quiz at the end.

I've been to that site before, can't recall when. But I'd place it around my Punch-Out craze.. It is a cool site, I remember playing the arcade game [from the site], down in this ice cream parlor [that's now demolished].