Norton Anti Virus and CS

Posted by Apathetic

Alright I think NA doesnt like my CS, so I disable the auto protect and worm internet protect yet it still lags. I have already allowed it to pass in norton settings. What the **** :mad:

Posted by Trigger

It probably isn't Norton at all, chances are your computer just sucks. Have you tried stopping Norton from starting when your system boots, loading Counter-Strike and then seeing if "lag" continues to occur?

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Apathetic]Alright I think NA doesnt like my CS, so I disable the auto protect and worm internet protect yet it still lags. I have already allowed it to pass in norton settings. What the **** :mad:

Leave Norton off like Trigger suggests, if it's not Norton then you've got an internet problem.

If it is, uninstall Norton and get better anti-virus support, like AVG Free.

Posted by Trigger

AVG isn't half as good as everyone believes.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Trigger]AVG isn't half as good as everyone believes.

Right, which I why I use two anti-virus programs.

Also using avast!

Posted by Trigger

My point is, Stalolin, that you should be providing a better solution to the problem. Telling people to download a half-assed anti-virus, only so they'll have to download more and potentially have software conflict is just as bad as having a virus to begin with.

Posted by Apathetic

I tried it with norton disabled and it seemed to worked better but I still lagged. Its probably my internet, plus whenever a **** phone rings it lags up a lot.

Posted by misogenie

[COLOR="Cyan"] I get excellent internet protection from Norton Internet Security 2005 CD software I got in November 2005. The one year subscription to update the program from Norton's website expires in 2 months. From the details tab under my service provider's status, I manage to type in IP addresses: Server IP address 203.173.63.88 and Client IP address 203.109.177.228 in the networking tab under firewall protection. That means that Norton Security only allows my computer to communicate with the service provider's computer. I never disable Norton whenever I use the internet. [/COLOR]

Posted by Trigger

In effect, that does nothing. If you can get out to the Internet, you're communicating with every computer on the Internet and your ISP's server is merely acting as the "man in between" to send you the data you recieve, or pass on the data you send out.

Posted by KoH

Do you know what I love? I love that everyone seems to have so much trouble with viruses and gameplay difficulties despite the fact that they are stacked up with the "best" anti-virus and firewall protection, yet I use nothing like Norton or any other sort of firewall protection but I have little to no virus problems.

Love you guys too. :)

Btw, if you use a router, make sure the Steam ports are open.

Aaand another useless post from the KoH man.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: AVG isn't half as good as everyone believes.

What's wrong with it? And is there anything better that I can get for free? I'm not paying for a commercial antivirus program, I've only ever had one virus anyway, (and I managed to delete it manually because at the time I forgot to install AVG).

Posted by Trigger

On a basic level, AVG is a good anti-virus program for the average user, Higbvuyb but due to personal experience with the product, and the lack of its virus definition files, I have found it to skip over viruses completely. As mentioned earlier by Stalolin, [URL="http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html"]Avast![/URL] is another good, free, anti-virus software solution. Usually, with virus protection software, you get what you pay for. I switched to Avast! a fair while back but have stopped using Anti-Virus software all together, except that which is included within my ZoneAlarm Pro Internet Security Suite.

I generally strongly discourage users from having multiple anti-virus software applications running at the same time. They usually will conflict and confuse each other, creating more issues than the "security" is worth. If you want to try using AVG and Avast at the same time, do so at your own risk; if nothing negative occures, great otherwise, you'll have to trial them both and test which one you prefer. I tend to find that Avast! finds more viruses and infections in comparison to AVG - the latter option has just been a little overrated by most.

Posted by KoH

AVG is incredibly anal. As Triggar said, do NOT use multiple AV software at the same time. You, literally, will barely be allowed to do a thing on your computer. Let alone play a video game that requires the internet.

Avast? You must be kidding... Zone alarm if you must. Personal opinion is this: Be smart about using the internet. Watch the files you download. Go to good sites (and some naughty ones, but only trust worthy ones). Keep some cleaning software installed. And most importantly: Don't let anyone else use your computer. This is the way to a happy, I.T.D. free computer.

Btw, Trigger, I think I won with this post competition of ours.

Posted by Trigger

There is no competition, you e-penis stroking moron.

Zone Alarm Security Suite Pro does all right at scanning and removing viruses and spyware, but Avast is the better solution by comparison to AVG Free. Considering that we're talking about free anti-virus solutions, not free firewall protection, Zone Alarm isn't particularly a choice. Not only does the free version not support as much protective features as its Pro version, but it also means that if you want real protection from Zone Alarm, you have to pay for it.

Usually, you get what you pay for. The fact is, other users can't be trusted most of the time and even if you are the most cautious user and take all the right measures when surfing the Internet, you can come across those who appear friendly, but aren't. If you really want to ensure that you're never, ever infected whilst browsing the Internet, you may as well restrict yourself to your home page. Even this trustworthy forum could eventually contain a link to a website considered friendly and non-malicious.

How do you know you aren't infected, unless you have a program to confirm your theory?

Posted by KoH

... thought is said "mormon." I was prepared to go all out balistic if you had.

As to answer your question... I'm smart enough to merely sense when a virus has gotten past my firewall of eternal fire.

And in reply to the other parts of your post... it's all based on what you, a woman, thinks. Therefore, it's clearly bs jibberish that you merely thought up just now. :)

Posted by Trigger

[quote=KoH]I'm smart enough to merely sense when a virus has gotten past my firewall of eternal fire.
Most people aren't, hence the suggestion for an Anti-Virus solution.

[quote]And in reply to the other parts of your post... it's all based on what you, a woman, thinks. Therefore, it's clearly bs jibberish that you merely thought up just now.
Yet at the end of the day, you'd still like to shove your little beaner in a woman. Who's stupider?

Posted by KoH

[quote=Trigger]Most people aren't, hence the suggestion for an Anti-Virus solution.

Well, they shouldn't be on a computer if they aren't. :) Aren't you a woman? Shouldn't you be like, in the kitchen? Or washing dishes? Or having sex for procreation?

[quote]Yet at the end of the day, you'd still like to shove your little beaner in a woman. Who's stupider?

My hand will suffice, thank you very much.

Oh, and btw... "More stupid." :-D LOZAR

Posted by Trigger

[quote=koh]Aren't you a woman? Shouldn't you be like, in the kitchen? Or washing dishes? Or having sex for procreation?
It's all right, I got your mum to do those jobs for me.