Have you ever played a game called Stacker?

Posted by GameMiestro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacker_%28game%29

Of particular intrest is this paragraph:

[quote]give the impression that it is possible to win a major prize; however it can be very hard, and according to an operator's manual for the game, the approximate win per play ratio can be set as high as 1 in 800. On the last few levels the system appears to "cheat" by not stopping the moving block when the player pushes the button. This is to maintain the odds the operator specified and to ensure the operator maximum profits.

Playing games like these tempt me to agree (but I don't) with the opinion that all arcade games suck and the world would be better off without them. I know that not all arcades are as bad as these, but virtually all of them are designed to make the player lose as fast as possible. Yes, buisness is buisness, but I think arcade makers can make fun and economically sensible games that last more than 2 minutes on average.

Thoughts?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

The Stacker operates on the principle that many must die so that a privilaged few may live. Certainly it sucks if you're one of the people playing the game between wins, but on the other hand, someone could walk into the arcade and win an IPod on 75 cents!

Posted by Miles "Tails" Prower

My best friend tried all night to play it at a mall XD. She spent like $25 on it and didn't win didly squat. I LITERALLY had to pull her away from it lol.

Posted by veritas

Is that the one where you stack red blocks that go back and forth and u have to stack them. Yea Ive seen it, but never played it. U can win some good prizes from that game. I saw a psp and an ipod once

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Mine's actually got blue blocks instead of red ones, which fits with the color scheme of my arcade. Check out the game list on the site in my signature for a picture of it.

Miles, the trick is knowing how long ago someone won the game before you, and how many people play it per day. Someone wins at mine about every 1.5 weeks, so if it's been longer than that since someone won, $25 might just get you that prize! Of course, there is still skill involved. If you just suck at timing, then you won't win no matter when you try.

Posted by Colonel

Last year, in the 8th grade when we went to Quebec City as an end of the year trip, I played this game once. Tried it made it to the last row clicked the botton perfectly and it skipped to the next square. This is when I realized that it is a huge scam. Good thing I only spent a dollar.