ps2 vs. slim ps2

Posted by muffla

i was just wondering is there any diffrence between the original ps2 aqnd the newer slim one. I know that it is slimer and comes with a network adapter built in, Bit are there any other reasons i sould spend an extra twenty dollars just to buy a newer one.

ps. i had an old one that broke so i still have my old network adapter

Posted by WackoHater2

I don't know if there is any difference. I don't think so. I know my uncle had an original PS2, and when it broke, he bought a slim one. The slim one broke even faster, so he went back to an original.

Posted by Colonel

I had a PS2 Slim but my parents made me return it, even though i bought it will the money i worked for.

I hate the moolah police.

EDIT: How the hell did it break? Sony got all the bugs out. PS2 slim has built in online support!

Posted by muffla

So I take it I should buy the slim one?

Posted by WackoHater2

I think one of his kids hit it with a bat. I don't remember. It was a while ago.

But then again, I guess that has nothing to do with the point of one being better than the other.. so I'll just stfu now.

Posted by Apathetic

slim cause its more portable and stuff, lol.

Posted by Kit

I believe the slimline PS2 doesn't make as much noise as the regular, other than what has been said. Nothing else, as far as I know.

Posted by muffla

ok cool thx for the help

Posted by WackoHater2

Just don't hit it with a bat. 'Kay?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Main differences: ethernet port, a lot slimmer, no internal HDD, external power supply. Pretty sure that's it. The main problem some people had was the HDD thing, but if you don't play FF, then there's no problem.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

My PS2 broke awhile back so I bought a slim, not only is it...ya know, slim and not hueg liek xbox, but indeed it is quieter than the original and just looks a lot nicer too.

My friend Ray tried to tell me that the slim PS2 will overheat and catch on fire/explode if you put it on it's side and that the original PS2 was designed for that, but I've had mine on it's side since I got it and had no problems at all. Anyone vouch for either side?

Quoted post: My friend Ray tried to tell me that the slim PS2 will overheat and catch on fire/explode if you put it on it's side and that the original PS2 was designed for that, but I've had mine on it's side since I got it and had no problems at all. Anyone vouch for either side?

It's not a problem if you don't put it on carpet or in an inclosed space. But, tons of people do that and shout about it on the internet. There definitely isn't an overheating problems as far as I've seen.

Posted by I feel Yellow?

The Older PS2 can just about stand up by it's self. The newer one cant unless you buy a vertical stand for it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Ive had my fat ps2 for like 4 years now, have dropped it several times, and have played the hell out of it at various times. It has never even THOUGH about giving me a problem, so I'm partial to the older model.

Posted by Kit

My PS2 died of old age, at age 3 + 1/2. :(

No matter, I'm getting a new one soon.

Posted by muffla

about the fire/side problem will it be fine if you have it on the carpet but flat?

Quoted post: about the fire/side problem will it be fine if you have it on the carpet but flat?

Just never put consoles on carpet if you plan to play for more than an hour at a time. Chances are, nothing horrible is going to happen, but there's no point in risking anything.

Posted by NES Queen

I have the slim, and it is quite sexXxy looking. Before I got my extension cable for the controller I had it on my floor (carpeted) for hours on end with no problems. And the vertical stand if you want to keep it upright is only like $5.

Posted by THEDVS1

with the old ps2 you can use the hdlouder,look it up!!!!it makes it worth getin it instead.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

id recomend the old bulkey one, only reason being is that it has a fan, where the slim one does not and overheats alot faster.

Posted by Colonel

Holy crud. This thread went dead 7 months ago. Please don't bump old threads with useless information.