Who Likes UFC/Pride Fighting?

Posted by specopssv44

UFC and Pride fighting is basically the ultimate fighting sport. They are hardly any rules and you are allowed to use any fighting style you want. It is way more violent than boxing, and its real so it makes WWE look even more pathetic than it already is (if thats possible). Me and alot of my buddies at work are really into it, and we spend alot of our free time training at the base GYM. Im curious as to how many of you have heard of it, think its stupid, think its cool, or think its something they would be interested in watching. If youve never seen it before I suggest you check out this short highlight video and tell me what you think [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA2YoqJcT9o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA2YoqJcT9o[/URL]

Check it out and gimmie some feedback...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I watch it whenever I can catch it. Not anywhere close to being obsessed, but it's pretty cool and fun to watch with a couple of my friends who are really into it. Pretty brutal stuff though, which I guess is why it's as exciting as it is.

Posted by Raptor

I choose the fourth option. I've never seen it before, and I dont wanna see it again.

...wait, what?

Posted by s0ul

The first ten seconds of a round are pretty **** cool, the following 4 minutes of dry humping on the ground usually range from very boring to somewhat erotic.

Posted by WackoHater2

I am not a huge fan of UFC. It's good though. I have watched a few times. I couldn't tell you any of the fighters names though. I hate it when ametuers fight. It's more of a hug-fest when they do. The veterans are usually pretty fun to watch. I turned it on the other day, and this one guy was getting the holy hell beat out of him. Blood everywhere. It was sweet.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Raptor: I choose the fourth option. I've never seen it before, and I dont wanna see it again.

...wait, what?

He posted a link to a video, so it's more like "I've never seen it before this video, and I don't want to see it again".

I don't watch it. Never been into any of those fighting/wrestling shows.

Posted by Draxamus

LAST ROUND OF PRIDE'S OPEN WEIGHT TOURNAMENT NEXT MONTH BABY

Posted by Lord of Spam

I like to watch the lighterweight guys fight. More hitting, less grappling. But yeah, its ****ing awesome, though I refuse to chose option one, since i hate hte word "hella".

Posted by Speedfreak

Real martial artists don't fight for entertainment.

Posted by Draxamus

Quoting Speedfreak: Real martial artists don't fight for entertainment.

This is the opinion of someone who doesn't know anything about real fighting. Mixed Martial Arts is the closest you can get to actually really fighting. People who practice the main martial arts that that make it up--BJJ, kickboxing, boxing, wrestling--are more prepared for a fight than anyone who practices anything else that isn't a full contact martial art. If all you're doing is drills, and point sparring then you are not going to be prepared to fight even someone who just does boxing alone. You practice any of the martial arts I mentioned and you'll be well on your way to being able to actually fight. But MMA competitions take it a step further. Mixed martial artists are all in constant training, and don't hold back in an MMA fight.

Most MMA fighters can kick ass in and out of the ring. What they train in is practical in both situations. Likewise, even boxers and kickboxers are well-prepared for a street fight if one occurs.

Posted by keyartist

Thats why I study Mixed martail Arts. Because it is used more than any other of the fight arts. Grappling trapping and sense destrution are the key to winning a fight.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Or, ya know, just pulling a gun from a good distance. I hear that works well too.

Posted by Crazy K

I'm not a fan of it. I'll watch it if nothing else is on, but my brother is more into it then I am.

Posted by keyartist

Quoting Lord of Spam: Or, ya know, just pulling a gun from a good distance. I hear that works well too.

OK first it is illegal to carry a gun in some states, 2nd if you kill someone you are totally F**K, And 3rd only pussies use guns, real Men/women fight hand to hand.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting keyartist: OK first it is illegal to carry a gun in some states, 2nd if you kill someone you are totally F**K, And 3rd only pussies use guns, real Men/women fight hand to hand.

1) When properly licensed and in public areas it is never illegal for a peson to carry a gun that is in complaince with gun control laws (i.e. no AKs on the streets etc).

2) Beat someone up and you're just as ****ed. Unjustified violence means jailtime. If its legit self defense, lethal force can always be applied and then argued down at trial. its a hell of a lot easier than you might think under the right circumstances.

3) I'm sure it will comfort you to have that on your tombstone. You can say that about pretty much anything. Physical violence? Thats for the weak minded. Real men would settle it over a game of chess. huh, you must be a total moron. Only an idiot would fight. Idiot. [spoiler]see what I did there kids? its called using someones own idiot logic against them, and its great for when you want to show just how retarded someone is. [/spoiler]:cookie:

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: Real martial artists don't fight for entertainment

Theres a difference between people who practice self defense, and people who practice martial arts... If you really want to be good at self defense, then join a track team, they cant hurt you if they cant catch you.
MMA is by far the most practical martial art ive ever seen. Though im partial to Muy Thai, and kick boxing because 1) Knees and elbows cause the most damage, and 2) Who doesnt like to see somebody get freakin kicked in the head? I mean honestly how badass is that?!
But seriously, back to speedfreaks comment, these guys dont do it to entertain people. They do it for the love of the sport. The competition. Man against man to see who is better.
I dont know how many of you have ever been in a real fight. But let me tell you, the rush is insane. Yeah it can get kinda scary. I mean honestly no one wants to get their *** beat. But hand to hand combat, MMA is the most personell form of competition because the physical result for victory and defeat is often the same. At the end of a good fight both fighters are usually beat **** near senseless. But the pride that comes with knowing you have defeated an opponent in such a grueling event is phenominal.

Posted by Speedfreak

You two really are a pair of cocky little shits. Don't fucking tell me I've never been in a fight. I used to fight all tne fucking time. It's childish and ridiculously dangerous. And the more capable a martial artist you are, the more dangerous it is.

Martial arts isn't just about knowing how to kick someone's ass. It's about self-discipline, knowing that you should only fight when it is absolutely crucial, two things you've demonstrated a total lack of respect for. Martial arts were developed for the sole purpose of self-defence and only adapted for offensive purposes. A martial artist that can't learn to control himself very quickly becomes a dead martial artist. In my opinion, prize-fighting is an absolute mockery of that.

Posted by Draxamus

Quoting Speedfreak: You two really are a pair of cocky little shits. Don't fucking tell me I've never been in a fight. I used to fight all tne fucking time. It's childish and ridiculously dangerous. And the more capable a martial artist you are, the more dangerous it is.

Martial arts isn't just about knowing how to kick someone's ass. It's about self-discipline, knowing that you should only fight when it is absolutely crucial, two things you've demonstrated a total lack of respect for. Martial arts were developed for the sole purpose of self-defence and only adapted for offensive purposes. A martial artist that can't learn to control himself very quickly becomes a dead martial artist. In my opinion, prize-fighting is an absolute mockery of that.

Been in a few schoolyard rumbles have we? Doesn't mean you know anything about what techniques are most effective, and what styles best prepare you for actual fights. If you limit your martial arts to only when you're in a life-or-death situation, you'll find yourself unprepared when one actually happens. You need to be in constant practice at close to 100%. In training of course you aren't going to fight as hard as you would in a real situation, but you should be able to fight close to it. And those who fight in competitions are probably the most prepared of all.

I don't see why one should limit his use of martial arts to only cases of self defense. I'm not saying go out and snap the neck of anyone who looks at you funny. But if someone steps up to you, I see nothing wrong with kicking his ass. And you're wrong about all martial arts being created solely for self-defense. Many were first used on the battlefield--Japanese jiu jitsu for instance.

And self-discipline, well I can already attain that without martial arts!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Draxamus]Been in a few schoolyard rumbles have we? Doesn't mean you know anything about what techniques are most effective, and what styles best prepare you for actual fights. If you limit your martial arts to only when you're in a life-or-death situation, you'll find yourself unprepared when one actually happens. You need to be in constant practice at close to 100%. In training of course you aren't going to fight as hard as you would in a real situation, but you should be able to fight close to it. And those who fight in competitions are probably the most prepared of all.

It seems you are the one who knows little about actual fighting.
First, you said I've probably never been in a fight. An evidently ignorant statement, well done.

Fighting in competitions and sporting events will only prepare you physically for a fight, that is to say develop your muscles and let you practise your techniques on a moving target. All things you can do in training anyway, so it might aswell be another training exercise.

When you enter a competition your intent is not to seriously damage your opponent, it's to score points. In fact, you're usually not even trying to hit them very hard, just very accurately. In sporting events you are competing in a measured, mediated environment. You have nothing to fear in a boxing match if you're knocked to the ground, for instance.

You gain zero mental preperation in these events for a life or death situation. A situation where your opponent can literally do anything, your adrenaline is pumping harder than in any "civilised" fight and your mind has made you walk a tightrope with "fight" and "run" on either side. A real martial artist who has trained their entire life in every single aspect of the art, not just physical, can come out of a situation like that unscathed. Someone who's just earnt a black belt and has never had to fight for their life before should come out with a few cuts and bruises and a bit of shock.

[quote=Draxamus]I don't see why one should limit his use of martial arts to only cases of self defense. I'm not saying go out and snap the neck of anyone who looks at you funny. But if someone steps up to you, I see nothing wrong with kicking his ass.

Promoting violence when it can be extremely easily avoided is generally seen in civilised cultures as a bad thing to do. I can't see any reason beyond a threat on your or someone elses life or theft or damaging of your belongings to commit a violent act. There are other, much more manly and dignified ways of dealing with situations.

For instance, here's a classic example: someone insults your girlfriend. A lot of guy's instincts are to smack the guy into next week, mine included. A better way of dealing with it would be to simply ask him what the hell his problem is and demand an apology. You've asserted your position and not let him push you around by countering his words with yours. If he tries to start a fight then you simply state that dont wish to fight and that you just want an apology, but you will defend yourself if you have to. If the situation does get violent then you still don't need to act offensively, there are many ways of incapacitating an opponent without significant harm being brought upon him or you, such as locks and sweeps. If the worst comes to the worst, you've defended your girl's honour without being a barbarian about it, no significant harm has come to anyone and yet your total dominance is clear for everyone to see. A Perfect result.

Obviously that's not always possible depending on your level of skill, but limiting harm to yourself and others should always be your goal as a real martial artist.

[quote=Draxamus]And you're wrong about all martial arts being created solely for self-defense. Many were first used on the battlefield--Japanese jiu jitsu for instance.

And self-discipline, well I can already attain that without martial arts!

Martial arts originated as self-defence for buddhist monks, to protect themselves and their temples from raiders. You're not gonna tell me those monks can't kick some serious a[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]s, but you're not gonna tell me they're not pacifists, either.

Armies are also created for the defence of a nation, though they are often misused by the corrupt. I'm not putting much behind this point because I don't know Japan's reasons for invading other countries, and Japan developed numerous martial arts.

Self-disipline can be achieved in a variety of ways, but if you don't feel that commiting violent acts is something that should be avoided at all costs then you clearly lack it.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post:

Quoted post: You two really are a pair of cocky little ****s. Don't ****ing tell me I've never been in a fight. I used to fight all tne ****ing time. It's childish and ridiculously dangerous. And the more capable a martial artist you are, the more dangerous it is.

childish to you maybe. But ill bet youve never been in a situation where your ability to disable an opponent without a weapon may mean the difference between life and deat. I am also equilly sure that you will probably never be put in such a situation. Understand whom you are speaking to freak. Do not attemt to question my discpline, or respect for combat in any form.
Dont you think it takes alot of self discpline out on the streets of an area of operation, imagine youve got a condition one weapon, youre in a strange enviornment, and you know people out there want to hurt you. Are you aware of the tremendous self control we have to use.

Quoted post: Martial arts isn't just about knowing how to kick someone's ***. It's about self-discipline, knowing that you should only fight when it is absolutely crucial, two things you've demonstrated a total lack of respect for. Martial arts were developed for the sole purpose of self-defence and only adapted for offensive purposes. A martial artist that can't learn to control himself very quickly becomes a dead martial artist. In my opinion, prize-fighting is an absolute mockery of that.

ok mr miagi... How do you get better at martial arts? You practice by matching yourself against another man of similiar ability.

Quoted post: When you enter a competition your intent is not to seriously damage your opponent, it's to score points. In fact, you're usually not even trying to hit them very hard, just very accurately. In sporting events you are competing in a measured, mediated environment. You have nothing to fear in a boxing match if you're knocked to the ground, for instance

do you even know what sport were talking about here? Were talking about MMA and UFC... Getting knocked on the ground can be a death sentence. If you dont believe me go watch that highlight video again and see what happens to guys that let their gaurd down.
Ill admit im not a big fan of boxing and i never liked WWF or whatever. But UFC/Pride fighting is a no holds barred, all out, do what it takes to win.
The whole reason I like this type of fighting is because its the closest thing to being in a real fight out there. And Yes, this I know for a fact. MMA is a part of our Marince Corps Martial Arts Program, so it is a technique i am fairly familiar with if not proficient in.

Posted by Draxamus

Full contact training is the most effective way to train--any other way is subpar. Doing drills--practicing the motions--won't get you anywhere. That fight or flight response is exactly the trigger that will cause you to abandon all of your training in favor of a few sloppy hooks. Training in a full contact environment prepares you to handle that rush like nothing else can; and an MMA competition is the closest one can come to an actual fight. MMA fighters aren't just going for points, and they aren't safe just because they fall. Now a sport like boxing may be less effective than MMA. But remove the gloves, and those boxers can hit! The big gloves in boxing diminish the impact, but you can trust that the punches being thrown are not weak. You pit a trained boxer against some chump, and that trained boxer will dismantle his ass.

I find it hilarious that you think some black belt with no real training against an opponent working against him will do well in a street fight. I find it even more humorous that you claim compeitions and full contact training are nothing but muscle work. The only proper way to train is to fight against an opponent who is trying to resist you--whether in full contact training or a competition. And you're all about defending yourself; well that's the right way to learn how. Full contact training happens in a controlled environment, as do compeitions. You may risk getting a little hurt, but the benefits in practical self-defense you'd gain would far outweigh the meager benefits you'd gain training any other way.

As for your buddhist monk argument, well I think you've been watching too many kung fu movies! All martial arts did not originate out of kung fu. Now I don't know anything about these theoretical monks of the past. Maybe they knew how to kick ass, and maybe they didn't. What I do know is that the modern incarnation of kung fu is far too flawed to be useful when compared to certain other martial arts. It is for example sorely lacking in defense against BJJ techniques. If you want to be an effective striker, Muay Thai is a much more practical martial art. You take that, learn how to sprawl, and then you'll be ay ahead of any kung fu practitioner.

Now the rest is just a splitting of ethics. You think one should avoid all fighting when possible. I think if you have a reason to kick someone's ass, you should go for it!

Posted by specopssv44

Yeah I second drax... The reason we question weather or not youve been in a fight freak, is because people who know Martial Arts know that everything changes when it goes down for real. An actual fight happens sooo much faster than training, you have barely anytime to think. Training is good because it builds muscle memory, but thats its. To become proficient in any martial art you have to apply it at fullspeed.
I loce watching MMA matches because you get to see firsthand what a real fight looks like when both the fighters are proficient martial artists. None of this staged kung fu movie bull****. I mean dont get me wrong i enjoy a good kung fu movie, but it just doesnt go down that way in real life.

Posted by keyartist

All martial artists Know or should know that force/fighting should be the last resort. Killing someone is hard on a person even in self-defence. I'm not saying for someone to go aroung and kick ***, What I'm taught as well as most martail artists defence should not end in taking a persons life, Only to which you can get away from the person who is trying to engage you.

P.S. It does feel better to kick someones *** though...right:)

Posted by specopssv44

Youd be surprised how easy it is to end someones life... but yeah in most situations your not gonna beat some drunk guy at the bar to death because he challenges you to a death match over a game of pool gone wrong haha.

Posted by VampchickAkasha

awsomeness... l love love love it.... :-D

Posted by Killer Jordo

I love the UFC. Once in socials. Me and 4 friends starting a mini tournamanet because our teacher was in teh library the whole class.