Octavarium

Posted by sabre

I'm a huuuuuge dream theater fan, so I'm really excited, and I know there are plenty more dt fans out there on the site so it felt appropriate to make a thread on it.

[url=http://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#octavarium]New Dream Theater Album: Octavarium[/url]

I can't wait.

Posted by Klarth

[color=gold]so you totally told me about the album, and I clicked the link, and I was all YAAAAAY NEW STUDIO ALBUM MMMMMM! and thought "wake up nettysex!" for a while.

seriousness aside, as it's a concept album, I hypothesise the theme to be alcoholism. Purely because of the following reasons:

- The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul covered the first five steps of the aa's twelve-step program, and this album has a lovely amount of tracks - eight. Now, I realise that five plus eight is thirteen, but you see, the last song on the cd is called octavarium, which could well mean that the song is a conclusion to the past twelve segments.

- I looked up the twelve steps, and cross-referenced them with the lyrics of tgp and tds and the song names of octavarium.

1 - "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable."

I. REFLECTION
Cunning, Baffling, Powerful
Been beaten to a pulp
Vigorous, Irresistable
Sick and tired and laid low
Dominating, Invincible
Black-out, loss of control
Overwhelming, Unquenchable
I'm powerless, have to let go
I can't escape it
It leaves me frail and worn
Can no longer take it
Senses tattered and torn
Hopeless surrender
Obsession's got me beat
Losing the will to live
Admitting complete defeat
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round
Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession
Crawling to my glass prison
A place where no one knows
My secret lonely world begins
So much safer here
A place where I can go
To forget about my daily sins
Life here in my glass prison
A place I once called home
Fall in nocturnal bliss again
Chasing a long lost friend
I no longer can control
Just waiting for this hopelessness to end

2 - "We Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

II. RESTORATION
Run - fast from the wreckage of the past
A shattered glass prison wall behind me
Fight - past walking through the ashes
A distant oasis before me
Cry - desperate crawling on my knees
Begging *** to please stop the insanity
Help me - I'm trying to believe
Stop wallowing in my own self pity
"We've been waiting for you my friend
The writing's been on the wall
All it takes is a little faith
You know you're the same as us all"
Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Enter the door
Desperate
Fighting no more
Help me restore
To my sanity
At this temple of hope
I need to learn
Teach me how
Sorrow to burn
Help me return
To humanity
I'll be fearless and thorough
To enter this temple of hope
Believe
Transcend the pain
Living the life
Humility
Opened my eyes
This new odyssey
Of rigorous honesty
Serenity
I never knew
Soundness of mind
Helped me to find
Courage to change
All the things that I can
"We'll help you perform this miracle
But you must set your past free
You dug the hole, but you can't bury your sole
Open your mind and you'll see"
Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone

3 - "We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of *** as we understood Him."

III. REVELATION
Way off in the distance I saw a door
I tried to open
I tried forcing with all of my will and still
The door wouldn't open
Unable to trust in my faith
I turned and walked away
I looked around, felt a chill in the air
Took my will and turned it over
The glass prison which once held me is now gone
A long lost fortress
Armed only with liberty
And the key of my willingness
Fell down on my knees and prayed
"Thy will be done"
I turned around, saw a light shining through
The door was wide open

And then we go onto This Dying Soul.

4 - "We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."

III. REVELATION
Way off in the distance I saw a door
I tried to open
I tried forcing with all of my will and still
The door wouldn't open
Unable to trust in my faith
I turned and walked away
I looked around, felt a chill in the air
Took my will and turned it over
The glass prison which once held me is now gone
A long lost fortress
Armed only with liberty
And the key of my willingness
Fell down on my knees and prayed
"Thy will be done"
I turned around, saw a light shining through
The door was wide open
IV. Reflections of Reality (Revisited)
[i]Hello, Mirror

Posted by Gollum

Very excited. However, when I first read this I thought it might be fake. The whole eighth album/eight songs things seemed like an unlikely thing for them to do, as I don't think that they put 7 songs on Train of Thought on purpose, though I don't know for sure. I just didn't think that they'd put everything around the number eight, when it has no real significant purpose, other than that it's one more than the number of steps left to cover in the AA program. I do think that the album details are real now though, because they came from Mike directly, but it's a bit of an odd and unexpected thing for them to do. On a related note, they're going to tour North America in July/August. I must go.

The tracklist looks considerably more sinister than before. The only few that aren't like that are I Walk Beside You and Octavarium. I also think that if Jack isn't right about the whole album being about alcoholism, then The Answer Lies Within or These Walls sound like the next chapter in the alcoholism saga. Anyways, I can't wait. Only 87 days left.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Irrelevant]The whole eighth album/eight songs things seemed like an unlikely thing for them to do, as I don't think that they put 7 songs on Train of Thought on purpose, though I don't know for sure.
I hate you guys. :(

Posted by Klarth

it's totally bj's worst nightmare!

The root of all evil will begin with a keyboard solo. :-*

Posted by -Shadow-

Quoting Sabredog]
there's other stuff out there. Don't get me wrong, DT is good, but try to branch out a little or something.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz:
Don't get me wrong, DT is good, but try to branch out a little or something.

NO! NEVER!

There's plenty of high quality releases this year likely to make me forget about this new Dream Theatre album.

Posted by sabre

well it's not exactly hard considering you don't like dream theater.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Majesty: it's totally bj's worst nightmare!

The root of all evil will begin with a keyboard solo. :-*

You know something, I have been reading all of this "zomg draem theatre is like awesome" stuff, and I might actually go out and buy this without even previewing it or anything to see if it amounts to all this hype.

I mean, for the last SIX MONTHS I've heard this mentioned 47847+ times a day and now my curiousity is starting to outweigh my immense laziness.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]there's other stuff out there. Don't get me wrong, DT is good, but try to branch out a little or something.

[url="http://www.vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=20462&postcount=28"]http://www.vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=20462&postcount=28[/url]

You are immensely stupid.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's a pity you don't listen to any of those cds that you own, aside from the DT ones.

you're a scrawny little prick with gay hair :)

Posted by Xenos

Whatever it is, I hope they change their style from ToT, I didn't really like it that much. I miss the more SfaM-type of songs.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/Mesento/octovarium.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: it's a pity you don't listen to any of those cds that you own, aside from the DT ones.

I suppose you'd know, right, because you obviously keep tabs on the CDs he listens to and stuff.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm just going by the "now playing" thread.

and whoever this is needs to be shot http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/h22s/

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I'm just going by the "now playing" thread.

and whoever this is needs to be shot http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/h22s/

He must not listen to his other CDs because he listens to Dream Theater.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

What the shit. Did you look at the statistics?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

which equates him to lameness

Posted by Spam Shady

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: which equates him to lameness

yea

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: which equates him to lameness

Well, there is the RHCP in there. I can see why the Californication is high up there.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Bj]it's a pity you don't listen to any of those cds that you own, aside from the DT ones.

And you'd know? I ordered Therion's Crowing of Atlantis, Agalloch's Pale Folkore and Ayreon's The Human Equation a few days ago. And I may well actually listen to Fleetwood Mac a good deal more than dream theater.

[quote]you're a scrawny little prick with gay hair

You are a self-righteous skinhead who picks fights for no particular reason :)

Posted by Raptor

And you can all thank me for more or less introducing the DT phenomenon to VGC. You're welcome/sorry.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Majesty: And you'd know? I ordered Therion's Crowing of Atlantis, Agalloch's Pale Folkore and Ayreon's The Human Equation a few days ago. And I may well actually listen to Fleetwood Mac a good deal more than dream theater.

You are a self-righteous skinhead who picks fights for no particular reason :)

But you insulted me first, thus you picked the fight, you pastie little pansie :)

Posted by William

Personally, I'm looking forwards to it. I just hope it sounds as good as their previous works, which I'm sure it will.

Posted by Shade

I listened to a few songs from Images & Words and then some from Train of Thought. I don't really care for this current vocalist, so I don't know if I'll buy this CD. I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted by Hyper

Hey stfu :mad: I happened to get my DT albums in around the time I fixed my WinAmp. And really, I have nothing else worth listening to besides RHCP and some other ones that I have somewhere in a folder I forgot about.

On topic:

I'll probably get this one eventually. Maybe not release day, but soon after.

Posted by Shade

Shut up BJ, he has 3 Doors Down in there. Therefore, he rocks.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Quoting Raptor: And you can all thank me for more or less introducing the DT phenomenon to VGC. You're welcome/sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was listening to them awhile before you. Along with Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica.

But there's no way it could be a coincidence or anything, is there? :cool:

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shade: I listened to a few songs from Images & Words and then some from Train of Thought. I don't really care for this current vocalist, so I don't know if I'll buy this CD. I'll just have to wait and see.

They've only had three vocalists - Chris Collins (whom they sacked after a crappy performance of "A Change Of Seasons"), Charlie Dominici (he left after they recorded When Dream And Day Unite) and James LaBrie (current). So, they've had James LaBrie since Images and Words.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, I've found that out. And now I feel like a retard for that post. :3

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog]Um, loads of people? The twelve-step plan is used all over the world.

Posted by mis0

12 steps? hell no, that's inefficient. Use my 1-step plan instead: Don't drink. Period.

Simple as that.

Edit: What I meant to say here was that I recently discovered the joy(s) of Dream Theatre, although I doubt I'm ever going to be such a diehard like, well, most of you. It's good stuff.

Posted by Klarth

Please spell it Dream Theater. Please. :)

Posted by Hyper

I hope this goes on eBay soon after release so I can pay via Paypal. No stores around here will have it and I can't pay via Credit Card directly.

Quoting Majesty: Please spell it Dream Theater. Please. :)

GO RAPE YOURSELF WITH AN UMBRELLA.

Posted by Shade

WMP and iTunes only turn up searches for "Dream Theater", not, "Dream Theatre." Well, at least from searches I've done, anyway.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Lazy Guitar: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was listening to them awhile before you. Along with Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica.

I began listening to them in 2002, I believe. I started much too late. If I had known about them in '89, my teen years would have been characterised by far more splendor than gloominess.

I'm getting fairly tired of Dream Theatre fans around here sounding as if they are the ultimate biographical authority on the band and coming off as elitist as the band itself, though. Hey children, knowing what Jon Petrucci ate for breakfast this morning doesn't make you a better DT fan than me, it just means you're pitifully obsessed. And please, don't lynch me for misspelling the lead vocalist's name: I was too distracted listening to their rarest bootleg I recently purchased for four hundred ninety-nine dollars along with an official DT-licenced 24 karat gold CD frame. Only 2.56 copies ever made. :link:

Posted by Klarth

hey, I like the band. I like their music. I like knowing about their origins, and those silly little things that happened on tour! even I think that knowing the number of stains on portnoy's vest and what the medical term for whatever bowel condition their manager's brother has is a tad excessive.

I don't see what the problem is. how does the fact that something is popular mean that it's bad? we don't consider ourselves superior in any way.

Posted by Klarth

...yay

Posted by Raptor

Hm, beautiful cover art. It's so surreal and distinctly Pink Floydish.

I'm so sad you had to use it as your avatar though.

I'm glad that most places I go to on the internet have ignored this splendidly :)

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Raptor]I'm so sad you had to use it as your avatar though.

What makes you say that?

I was also immediately reminded of Floyd's covers when I saw it, even more so than Train of Thought's cover... Maybe I just like surreal things.

Posted by sabre

Saw it a while ago; when it first appeared. A great improvement on the original draft - but I still really dislike the black box at the bottom. I like it otherwise, however. I smell a very Images and Wordsy, proggy release coming out. yay!

Posted by Klarth

I haven't seen the original draft. Pics?

Posted by sabre

No texture on the black bar, black bar didn't stretch right across, no hooks on the balls, Majesty logo slightly sharper, position of fourth ball different, different font for the word Octavarium.

I originally thought that the black bar was just there to cover something up which they'd unveil at a later date, but now that they've put texture onto the bar I'm extremely disappointed, seeing as it would seem the ugly bar is there for good. Now the only possible hint that it may just not be permanent is the fact that it's not yet been submitted as the official image on amazon.co.uk.

Posted by sabre

samples!

http://www.bol.de/shop/bde_homestartseite/artikeldetails/ID6387133.html

I already love the album.

Posted by Klarth

I flat-out refuse to listen to them. I'm quite content with the six-second sample myself-- I want a surprise. It sounds dark from what little I've heard.

and what's more is that I've never seen a ".rm" file. what?

Posted by Shade

Awww, I was hoping that it would sound more like what Images & Words did. Oh well. :(

I hope that the song, "Octavarium", isn't a dissapointment. Then that'd be a waste of 24 minutes, which would suck.

Posted by Megatron

If I had or cared to download Real Player I'd listen to these songs. I'll just wait until the album is out.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Shade: I hope that the song, "Octavarium", isn't a dissapointment. Then that'd be a waste of 24 minutes, which would suck.

If the songs are anything like the samples made out (which I know is unwise to judge by, seeing as they're only 30 seconds long, but these are just first impressions), then I think OV will be one of my favourite songs of all time. And those first six seconds of TROAE were blissful.

Posted by Shade

I was about to go back and see what TROAE was, but the samples were removed. Blast that vile internet!

Posted by Gollum

Symphony X is back on the tour!

http://mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=863806

Posted by MetalVox~55

:o
I will be there.

Posted by netman

So I've heard These Walls and Panic Attack tonight.

My first impression is yeah, I think I'm going to enjoy this album quite a lot. Panic Attack was quite heavy and a lot like Train of Thought, which of course is my favorite DT album. These Walls was also a good song with a nice build, and I approve.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting netman: So I've heard These Walls and Panic Attack tonight.

My first impression is yeah, I think I'm going to enjoy this album quite a lot. Panic Attack was quite heavy and a lot like Train of Thought, which of course is my favorite DT album. These Walls was also a good song with a nice build, and I approve.

Agreed. I like them both a lot too, but I'm sure they'll be a lot better when they aren't edits.

And the chorus to These Walls is infectious.

Posted by netman

Ok, so I just listened to the CD all the way through for the first time. Here's my thoughts. I should also mention for all you who CANT OMG HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT IT to avoid this, as im going to spoil left and right here.

-The Root Of All Evil is the sequel to This Dying Soul and The Glass Prison.
-I Walk Beside You is very ballady, not the best Dream Theater ballad I've heard though.
-These Walls is a very great song. Thats about all I can say.
-I Walk Beside you is RAGHHHH TERRIBLE. Seriously, I hate this song.
-Panic Attack is probably my favorite song, very heavy and very forceful. Just what I look for.
-Never Enough has a nice part at around 2 minutes. I'll need to listen to more of it to really get a feel fo rit.
-Sacrificed Sons builds up very slowly, but the last few minutes is a huge payoff, and simply awesome.
-Octavarium started out kind of slow.. and slowly built up. Those people who didnt like a certain part in Honor Thy Father will definately hate a part in this song, as James tests out his screams.

Overall, its nothing like Images and Words, which I'm very thankful song as I simply don't like that album. The best word I have to describe it is simply.. Atmospheric. Especially songs like Never Enough and Wait for an Answer. There are a lot of vocal effects, and James doesnt get all high like he used to, something which I'm also thankful about. I'm definately impressed with this album, although I still hate I Walk Beside You. A lot.

I'm also not sending it to anyone, so don't ask

Edit: On further listens, I walk beside you sounds freakishly a LOT like a U2 song. Maybe thats why I dont like it!

Posted by Klarth

what is "wait for an answer"?

AND IS IT A CONCEPT ALBUM?

Posted by Gollum

Quoting netman:

I'm also not sending it to anyone, so don't ask

I already know where to get it, silly. :kiss:

Posted by William

I recently got the album...It's decent, but nowhere nearly as good as their previous stuff. I was greatly disappointed. :(

Posted by Megatron

I really enjoyed the album. Not as much as Awake, Scenes and ToT thought but I enjoyed it a lot.

Posted by Gollum

I thought it was brilliant. The second half of the CD is a lot better than the first half, but all the tracks were enjoyable. LaBrie's screams surprised the **** out of me the first time I heard them, though. And 18:40-19:30 approximately = megadethly

Posted by sabre

Oh dear ***. This was like aural sex. This is, without a doubt, my new favourite album, and Sacrificed Sons is my new favourite song. The artwork on the album is excellent (the picture with the octopus was great)... though I can't help but begin to wonder precisely what the woman on the back of the lyric book is there for.

Posted by MetalVox~55

This is some good shiz :)

Posted by Klarth

aural sex
it
is
oc
sorryican'tpostrightnow

edit:

[quote=Sabredog]though I can't help but begin to wonder precisely what the woman on the back of the lyric book is there for.

that would be myung dodging a ball of some kind suspended from some kind ofsky

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Majesty: that would be myung dodging a ball of some kind suspended from some kind ofsky

No ****ing way that that is myung

Posted by Klarth

looks like him to me...

Posted by sabre

Tried looking at the face? Definitely a woman.

Posted by Gollum

"Produced by Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci
for JaM Progductions"

Not sure what that's about. But anyway, amazon shipped it to me in one day and I didn't have to pay for it. :-*

And did anyone notice that the spider can't get out of the maze? :cool:

I can't choose a favourite track. On first listen my favourites were Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium, but after some listen The Root of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack, and Never Enough were added.

And it's true that I Walk Beside You is very U2-like.

The lyrics to Never Enough are interestingly directed at certain fans who are living in the past etc. Very neat.

Posted by Shade

I Walk Beside You touches my heart, a lot. But These Walls is by far my favorite.

IMO, Dream Theater's only CD that's better than this one is Images and Words. Awesome stuff.