Do your parents like the music you listen to?

Posted by Phantasma2

As for me, my mom likes the most of it. The only thing she doesn't like is Death and Black metal. As for my dad... no, he doesn't like any of it but eh, I don't care.

Edit: Move the thread if it's not supposed to go here.

Posted by Arcadios

I mostly listen to rap and neither of them like it.
They stick to our hispanic roots and play salsa, bachta, reggaeton etc.

Posted by Ayu

My parents are pretty cool with the music I listen to, but my dad hates rap. Though, they don't really care for heavy metal either...

Posted by WackoHater2

My mom gets into hip-hop and no metal or rock, and my dad likes both. So yeah, they pretty much like it.. or are okay with it.

Posted by Apathetic

They like most of it except rap and metal. They just dont really care for those i guess.

Posted by NeXidala

My mom likes some of the music I listen to like the pop and stuff. Though, she quietly steps out of the room when I start listening to heavy metal and black metal. My dad just ignores it.

Posted by Stalolin

My parents are both pretty cool with what I listen to, as some of it is music they used to listen to.

Posted by Hyper

My mom gets into just about everything I do, except for stuff with growled vocals. She doesn't mind screaming, though. My dad is into country and nothing but, basically.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Well, my mom was there first, so it would be more accurate to say that I got into some stuff that she was into. But yeah, we share some musical taste.

Posted by Mr.Jones

Of course I i live with my mother. I'am a family man. We both adore funk.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Father's Music: Ohhhhhhhh, blessed be thy naaaammmmmeeeeee.....

Mother's Music: Show me the meaning of beeeeing lonleyyy.....

My Music: THIS VERY MORBID MIND OF MIIIINNNNEEEE WILL SET YOUR COURSE INTO AN EARLY GRAVE! I TWIST YOUR FATE AND SEAL YOUR DOOOOOMM! I BID YOU WELCOME, MY ETERNAL SLAVE!!!!

lol, hell no.

Posted by Arwon

My mother and I see eye to eye on precisely two artists, Grandaddy and the Flaming Lips. And she tolerates Talking Heads. She listens to country music and sugary 70s (mostly Australian) pop.

My dad thinks my favourite band sound like the Beatles. Also I like Bob Dylan.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Dad listens to oldies.

Mom listens to Madonna.

I listen to metal.

We get along just fine.

Posted by Ch

My Dad likes my music.

Except the metal and the rap.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

My mom likes some of the oldies that I listen to, like David Bowie, also Power and Progressive metal, Symphonic stuff, some newer hard rock, etc. But, she's not a fan of black and death metal, though she doesn't mind. I only ever play it in my room, on headphones or when I'm alone in the car, so it's not bad. But she prefers the really old stuff or something she can dance to.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Ah, they don't hate it, but they won't listen to it on their free time.
They enjoy their Country Music.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Real dad - Old country and western
Step dad - Genesis
Mom - Early nineties alternative rock and newer country
Me - Slow, boring shit.

We all suck.

Seriously though, my parents don't listen to the stuff I do. Mainly because it's not popular material and I'd never play it in front of them, purely because they have the decency not to ride in MY car and play their pop music. They don't even seem to mind the themes of my music (as represented by my shirts and stuff), which is funny because everyone in my family comes from a (lax) Christian background.

Posted by WackoHater2

As much as I hate to admit it, I get into some of the country stuff that my mom likes. Not all of it though. I especially loathe that rechid Garth Brooks.

Posted by Klarth

My mother likes Dream Theater and her sister is a huge fan of Rush. They both like Queensryche.

I have no clue what my father listens to.

Posted by Mandude120

My parents do share the same musical interests as I do. We both enjoy the 80s era, and we also enjoy techno music.

Posted by Alastor

Hell no.

Though my dad and I do share some similar interests. Mostly old rock stuff, like Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Steve Miller Band, etc. I've also got him into some of the lighter, more accessable bands I listen to, such as the The White Stripes and Red Hot Chili Peppers. If I hear something I think he'd like, he always gives it a listen. Though we've got somewhat different tastes, he's very easy to have a music related conversation with.

I'm pretty sure that the only bands that I ever listen to that my mom approves of are Jet and Def Leppard. She's actually said I'm un-American because I loathe all country music, and with her being the most stubborn person I know, I haven't even tried to get her into any of my music. That, plus the fact that she refers to everything she doesn't love to be "mindless noise", has made me avoid ever discussing music with her.

Posted by Delilah

Ha! Ha, ha, ha! Hell, no, they don't!
My parents think that anything I read/listen to that is not entirely Christian is going to send me to hell.

:bounce:

Posted by ed elric

my mom doesn't care
i'm really into stuff like slipknot and underoath so as long as i don't blare it when she's home i'm ok

Posted by Delilah

Underoath. Good band. For that, you shall be Rep'd.

:bounce:

Posted by Fate

My mom used to listen to 80s pop, which I totally loved. My stepdad listens to 70s music, which is my favorite era. So whatever they decided to put on the radio, I had no problem with. I always felt compelled to put the radio station to one of theirs, seeing as how I didn't mind it.

My mom liked the songs I played from bands that weren't big on the radio. She liked the dancing guitars that I liked, too. My stepdad was always submissive to what I put on the radio, so long as it wasn't old Spanish music (even though he's Spanish!!) or metal.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Princess Fate: My stepdad was always submissive to what I put on the radio, so long as it wasn't old Spanish music (even though he's Spanish!!) or metal.

Put on some Brujeria and knock out two birds with one stone.

Posted by Shade

My mom likes female singers who perform other people's songs at bars, and Broadway.

My dad likes some of my music, mostly the older stuff. Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, some Led Zeppelin, stuff like that. But mostly my dad comes home and shouts at me to "turn off that awful noise." And he thinks Dream Theater are uber heavy metal.

Posted by Raptor

I know my mother doesn't care much for my German industrial musik. She said it sounds like a cross between nails on a chalkboard, a jackhammer breaking into cement, and a cat being tortured. )=

Posted by Crazy K

My parents rarely listen to what I listen to.

My dad does not mind me listening to like Dream Theater or something. He usually does not mind me listening to classic rock (Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, etc.)

Now for my mom, she just sticks to country and I am truly tired of listening to it.

Posted by Omni

My parents enjoy a lot of the rock music I like, but my father likes jazz, which I hate. Also, I like alternative, which my mother will listen to, but my father is like, "Turn that off!"

Posted by Killer Jordo

Me + Dad
AC/DC
Guns N' Roses
Tom Petty
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
and most classic rock that we both listen to.

Me + Mom
Jazz
Blues
Tom Petty
The Beatles
and some BLue Oyster Cult

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]No my parents will never like what I listen to.

The metal I listen to makes them nervous.
Techno is annoying for them.
Rock is not the rock of their childhoods.
Pop, they might like one or two songs from certain of my CDs.

Yeah basically, I can only listen to music with my Walkman in the house.[/COLOR]

Posted by x.r0wney.x

no both my parents hate my music..yet my mom likes howard jones' singing voice in kse lol

Posted by Moogs

Eh, my dad doesn't like the softer rock I listen to, but he likes some of the metal I listen to... My mom likes Contemporary Christian and she doesn't like any of it, however she doesnt mind me listening to Christian Metal bands like Demon Hunter.

Posted by Omni

Christian metal, I laugh every single time I hear that. It just sounds funny.

Posted by Ant

My Mother likes a lot of the old metal bands, as does my father. Which I like to an extent. But neither care for any of my techno/electornica/jap music. No surprise there.

Quoted post: Christian metal, I laugh every single time I hear that. It just sounds funny.

... why?

Posted by Omni

It's funny when you think about the stereotypes surrounding heavy metal, especially back in the old days when even regular rock music was supposed to be the Devil's work. I laugh about it because a lot of people I know still think that it's all Satanic.

That was almost 30 to 40 years ago. I think everyone has gotten over the "metal is the devil's music" thing a long time ago.

Posted by Omni

I'm talking about some Christian old folks that live near me. They complain about music I listen to, even. I always play it in my garage, since my computer is there. So it's funny to me. There's a lot of them in my neighborhood, since I live in a Florida suburb.

Posted by Kit

I like some stuff my Mother and Stepfather used to listen to, and a lot more of stuff my father listened to. But my Mother and Stepfather are indifferent to some other stuff.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: That was almost 30 to 40 years ago. I think everyone has gotten over the "metal is the devil's music" thing a long time ago.

I was speaking to this one girl online(one of Alastors friends) and she said that the ROLLING STONES was devil music. The rolling f[COLOR="Lime"]u[/COLOR]cking stones. I gem'd that conversation a long time ago. Oh how I laughed.

Posted by Omni

Okay, "Sympathy For The Devil" is the one song by the Stones that could even reasonably misunderstood as devil music, and even that's far-fetched thinking. In fact, they took heat for it, in the 60's. They're just an old British blues-rock band, LOL...

Speak of the Devil, this is post #666 for me!

SCC: ... they're old. Of course they're going to complain about the music you listen to. If it's not oldies the it's noise.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I like a lot of music that my Dad likes, because I grew up hearing it all the time. Like Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light", and anything by Fleetwood Mac.

I've tried to get my Dad to listen to a Metallica song or two, but he's not having it. Tool is also out of the question.

But recently, I've gotten into older music that my Dad didn't listen to when I was younger, like Toto, Journey, Night Ranger, Yes, Genesis and a few others. My Dad knows all those bands, so he'll listen to them, but they're not his favorites.

As for my mom, she's a hardcore Christian and only listens to Christian music. I'm not even allowed to play non-Christian songs on my guitar when I visit her. Before that, she used to listen to Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, and METALLICA.

Posted by Philsdad

My parents despite any kind of metal, so definitely none of that. I don't think they like prog rock much either, although they could probably tolerate it at least. Don't think they've ever heard enough gypsy music to make judgment either way. My parents and I both love a lot of classical, so there's one thing in common. My dad said he also listened to circus calliope music when he was my age, go ****ing figure. And I don't think they are really into ragtime or bluegrass, but they can definitely at least listen to it.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

My mom's in on it when I listen to the Eagles, and my dad likes classic rock, so if I listen to the Doors he's in on that. Even my grandma likes some of my music (Michael Buble). None of them seem too fond of any of the punk, metal, rap, electronica, or country that I listen to, though, not even the Christian metal.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: That was almost 30 to 40 years ago. I think everyone has gotten over the "metal is the devil's music" thing a long time ago.

There's a university down in South Carolina called Bob Jones University, hardcore Baptist sort of thing, that thinks every style of music except classical and very few forms of jazz are evil. Therefore, Christian Contemporary = evil. Country = evil. Christian metal = evil.

Everyone who's not an idiot christian then. idk

Posted by mis0

My parents absolutely destest anything German - they say it sounds evil. And they're annoyed by the mellow Japanese rock, overly happy euro-pop, and my taste in early 1990's US hits. They like their music classical and sterile.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Everyone who's not an idiot christian then. idk

I'd consider them more of a cult than anything. Nothing in the Bible even comes close to paralleling their views on music.

Posted by Sean Fury

My mom doesn't listen to much music anymore, but she's into classical stuff and always listens to holiday music when it's around that time. The only new stuff she likes has been Pop and Pop/Rock, and the only CDs I've ever seen her buy were Dido and Enya. *shrugs*

As for my dad, his taste in music is far and wide like mine (but on a smaller scale). He'll listen to Metallica, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws, The Offspring...I even managed to get him to listen to The Pillows and The Transplants, he also likes some of System of a Down's stuff.

So, taking everything into account, my dad loves all my music (but prefers the music where you can really hear the actual music more than singing/screaming/whatever) and my mom likes most of my music save for anything loud (post-hardcore, metal, etc.).

Posted by Raptor

Your mother likes Enya? Hell yeah, Enya rocks my ****ing world.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Raptor: Your mother likes Enya? Hell yeah, Enya rocks my ****ing world.

Yeah, she used to listen to her almost everyday until we moved (which I believe she lost the CD). I like Enya as well, but I can't find a decent time to listen to her music other than times when I just need to chill out, but than her music makes me want to get up and go adventure.

Posted by damon5567

well, my mom likes most of the music i listen to,but if it gets all mushy gushy crap she says wat the hell is this wrist sliting music. and my dad thinks everything i lisen 2 is crap.