Sonic the Hedgehog TV series

Posted by loony636

I seem to remeber a while ago I saw a Sonic the Hedgehog TV series. Does anyone know what happened to that series? Do they still show it? I thought is was pretty hopeless but I'm just interested to know what happened to it...

Posted by Mikeachu

You have to be a little more specific than that. There's about 5 Sonic shows.

SatAM (short for Saturday morning which was when it aired) AKA "the one that doesn't suck": This show featured Sonic as a member of a group of rebels known as the Freedom Fighters. It ran for 2 seasons of 13 episodes each, although there were plans for a 3rd. Reasoning for it's cancellation range from not being able to compete with Power Rangers in the ratings to being a victim to a change of management in ABC. The show still exists to some degree in the form of an unbelievable crappy comic book series.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: A more comical cartoon relying on loony tune styled antics. It ran for 1 season of 65 episodes & 1 christmas special. Not sure why it was never given another season, maybe they just decided that 65 have enough.

Sonic Underground: A French-produced show about Sonic, his brother Manic & his sister Sonia forming a rock band. They were all voiced by the guy who played Steve Urkel (yes, even the girl). They sang songs every episode & serve as further proof that France sucks.

Sonic OVA: The 1st anime series. It lasted a grand whopping total of 2 episodes. The dub of the show combined both episodes & was sold as Sonic the Movie.

Sonic X: The 2nd anime series that's still airing (It's been renewed for another season).

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting Mikeachu: SatAM (short for Saturday morning which was when it aired) AKA "the one that doesn't suck": This show featured Sonic as a member of a group of rebels known as the Freedom Fighters.

Yeah... I loved SatAM, too. I didn't really get the chance to watch it too often because I'd always wake up too late, but when I did see it, I absolutely loved it. I'd still have to say that it's still arguably the only really good Sonic TV show out of all of them, with Sonic X being the other candidate. Even though I didn't like Sonic X at first, it's admittedly starting to grow on me. Sure, most of the voice actors suck, and it's the obsession of hundreds of rabid preteen fanboys (at least where I am), but... what can I say? It's Sonic related, and I don't usually care how cheesy some of the games/shows/etc are. That's why I still like the old comics, heh.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Mikeachu: Sonic Underground: A French-produced show about Sonic, his brother Manic & his sister Sonia forming a rock band. They were all voiced by the guy who played Steve Urkel (yes, even the girl). They sang songs every episode & serve as further proof that France sucks.

Yeah, this is the one that I remember. It really did suck.

Quoting Mikeachu: Sonic OVA: The 1st anime series. It lasted a grand whopping total of 2 episodes. The dub of the show combined both episodes & was sold as Sonic the Movie.

I also watched this one, this wasn't much better than Sonic Underground.

Posted by Arczu

The only episode I can remember of any of the first 2 Sonic shows (probably the oldest one) was when Tails was supposed to rake the leaves from someone's yard. He figures that it would be easier to blow the leaves away by using his two tails as a m-blower to blow them off the yard, but only into another neighbour's yard. Eventually, he ends up raking the leaves I think...

And that's it. Aside from one of the opening themes and Sonic spindashing through a regenerating bush with Sally, I can't remember another dang thing. I don't know for a fact when I stopped watching. I think it was taken off the air for some strange reason when I was still 7.

Sonic Underground was... well less than average. Something of a hit-and-miss here.

Sonic X had a PROMISING 1st episode. But after that, it seemed to loose that speed-feel. I just watched an episode recently and it showed Cream actually fighting against some robot that was suppose to be their friend or something. I wondered what happened to Sonic being the main character, and having some awesome action going on. It's okay for the very, very forgiving if you ask me.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Arczu: just watched an episode recently and it showed Cream actually fighting against some robot that was suppose to be their friend or something.

Do you know the name or number of this episode? I looked up the episodes and found that yes, Arczu is right, that they have lost their 'speed-feel'. They have gone in a downward slope and I'm beginning to think that making Sonic into a TV show was probably not the smartest thing Japan has ever done...

Posted by Tails

I used to see the older ones on the USA network on Saturday morns. Strange... it was usually after the Super Mario Bros Super Show. Kinda funny, huh? Anyway, half of the show (first episode) was a goofy like thing where anything could happen. The other half was more of a dark and serious like Sonic cartoon. But that was SO long ago and the most that I remember was Sonic poping out of Robotnic's bathtub with a salesman and finding "Dr. Robotnic's rubber alligator?" That was ONE ODD episode... but it was funny!

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Tails: But that was SO long ago and the most that I remember was Sonic poping out of Robotnic's bathtub with a salesman and finding "Dr. Robotnic's rubber alligator?" That was ONE ODD episode... but it was funny!
What the? Ok, now I really want to know just what happened to this series!? I think the episodes all still exist somewhere on the internet. I remember one site had them as 40MB .ram files, but I think that place was shut down or something happened. I will actually start looking. I have an episode or two onto one of my old harddrives, and maybe I have a few videotapes of them.

*The Search Begins*

Posted by loony636

Wow. If anyone does find a website that has some of those old episodes, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give it to me. I'll do anything, ANYTHING!

Posted by Prince Redon

I seen them once in a store nearby where I live called Cd's and More, but I didn't quite have enough, and when I did get enough they had already sold it...I hope they find some more one day because then they are mine!

Posted by loony636

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6391295355&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I just found that on ebay.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

heh, its about time they released a tv boxset. not that im gona get it or anything, i mean, its been like a year or so.

i really enjoyed the sonic undergrounds series. i only ever watched one episode, and after that they stopped showing it. just my luck. the graphics and storyline were amazing in that series. the episode i saw was the one about metal sonic and sonic in a race with robotnik trying to kill sonic again. that was awesome.

i dont like sonic x very much. its plain and boring, and nothing 'mysterious' ever happens. its all really predictable and there's no twists in the storyline. where's the originality in a 'dark' sonic?

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting loony636: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6391295355&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I just found that on ebay.

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]No, I mean I found the original series. I still have no clue what it was called, but it was the one where they ate all the chili dogs and such. I wish I would have had the money to buy those...It's been so long since I've seen those episodes.[/COLOR]

Posted by Arczu

You may find some on some P2P clients... but that is not as reliable at best.

Some site are going all out with this. One site had someone who scanned episodes from the tapes on to video CDs and sold them (66 min per CD)

Posted by Prince Redon

Aw...I wish I would have found those...If anyone knows where to find them, legal or not, I would love to know!

Posted by hey

I remember watching the Adventures one every saturday morning a long time ago.

Posted by SailorClef

http://www.gsrc.org/SatAmEpisodes.html

uhh.. I can't say if those urls actually work cause I haven't tried to download any yet but..yeah.

Posted by VGM

Quoted post: Sonic Underground: A French-produced show about Sonic, his brother Manic & his sister Sonia forming a rock band. They were all voiced by the guy who played Steve Urkel (yes, even the girl). They sang songs every episode & serve as further proof that France sucks.

But Manic still LOOKED cool... He was green, right? (Whats a Sonia...?)

Posted by Tails

Hey! I just remembered the words of the opening song for the first Sonic cartoon! I have no idea why it came to me in the middle of the night, it just poped up out of no where and I was like "Oh! So THAT'S the theme song!" Then I went back to sleep. Anyway, here it is... granted for a few errors of course, I hadn't heard it in a long, long time.

Blue streaks speed by... Sonic the Hedgehog!
Too fast for the naked eye... Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sonic, he can really move! Sonic, he's got an attitude! Sonic, he's the fastest thing alive!

Look out when he storms though... Sonic the Hedgehog!
Don't doupt what he can do... Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sonic, he can really move! Sonic, he's got an attitude!
Sonic, he's the fastest thing alive! He's the fastest thing alive! He's the fastest thing aliiiiiiive!!!

....Hmm... I think that's it.

Posted by Faulty

when did this Sonic series stop being shown?

Posted by Prince Redon

I'm not sure the exact date, but I know it was quite a few years back...They still have all these new series, but they suck, and no on likes them...(No one being me...)

Posted by loony636

The same reason all shows stop being shown. They grow unpopular, the ratings fall, demand grows for other shows. Companies (I think) will pay more to have their ads shown during popular TV shows, than unpopular TV shows. If its a more popular TV show, then more people watch it, and more people see the Ad. Its all to do with money (I think). There could be another reason but my best guess is the Ad thing.

Posted by Arczu

If they make another Sonic the Hedgehog TV show, they better do it right. His franchise is in jeopardy in terms of legitimate fans staying by his side.

It would be nice to see an episode that could emulate a stage in the original games. Ring trails... heh heh

Posted by Prince Redon

I don't mean to pull this off-topic, but has anyone seen the new Sonic comics coming out?...It has Sonic in leather and spikes, and chains and all, and Tails is a bad guy...My friend kept me from ripping it in half, but I came close...(Don't think I mean that as a joke either...)

Posted by Tails

[URL=http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/190055]Sonic Test![/URL]

I didn't really go off topic here. Just take this test and you will see why I posted it here. Long-term Sonic fans will love the ending if you get all the questions right...

....and Tails as a bad guy? ...........I'm gonna have to see proof...

Posted by loony636

The new comic? Rediculous. You should have fought off your friend and ripped it up. I'm sure IT WILL NEVER BE POPULAR.

Hmmm, the test was easy, you can pass it just by trial-and-error because the answers don't change.

Posted by Jo-Jo-The-Hedgie

Quoting loony636: I seem to remeber a while ago I saw a Sonic the Hedgehog TV series. Does anyone know what happened to that series? Do they still show it? I thought is was pretty hopeless but I'm just interested to know what happened to it...

Yes they do, On POP channel 620 on sky didital

Posted by Jo-Jo-The-Hedgie

Quoting Prince Redon: I don't mean to pull this off-topic, but has anyone seen the new Sonic comics coming out?...It has Sonic in leather and spikes, and chains and all, and Tails is a bad guy...My friend kept me from ripping it in half, but I came close...(Don't think I mean that as a joke either...)

Bad TAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say blooming tear it up into millions of sreds!

Posted by CS Ryan

Sonic X was based on the Adventure Series and Sonic Battle(GBA), as they threw in Big, Shadow, Rouge, Chaos, and Emerl. Shadow will probably have a gun soon.

Posted by Alex_DX

Yes I saw it but it is a chids cartoon .

Posted by sonic hedgehog

Quoting Mikeachu:
SatAM (short for Saturday morning which was when it aired) AKA "the one that doesn't suck": This show featured Sonic as a member of a group of rebels known as the Freedom Fighters. It ran for 2 seasons of 13 episodes each, although there were plans for a 3rd. Reasoning for it's cancellation range from not being able to compete with Power Rangers in the ratings to being a victim to a change of management in ABC. The show still exists to some degree in the form of an unbelievable crappy comic book series.

I aggree but the earlier issues of the comic was just like the tv show
I read 1 of the more recent issues and it's storyline and art SUCKED!